Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Realistic war and warfare movies?

christie

Banned
Reaction score
Its Remembrance Day here and I am trying to recall the various war and warfare movies I've seen that are realistic.

I just don't know which Hollywood movies got it close to the truth.

I saw Saving Private Ryan recently and it had intense scenes. I don't know how much in the history of war is accurate coming from Hollywood.

Any recommends?

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would recommend Dunkirk (2017), and play it parallel to Darkest Hour (2017) to have a panoramic perspective on what happened at the evacuation of Dunkirk.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just watched 1917 last week and thought it was good. Not sure if it's realistic as I wasn't there.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
My great grandfather fought in ww1; my grandfather in ww2 and my second cousin in Afganistan.

In my family, we were not allowed to speak of the wars and warfare.

I barely learned tidbits of the various shellshocks or ptsd.

We can learn about events from oral history and family stories and I was wondering if members here knew of which movies told the closest truth based on what they knew from family members and perhaps personal experience.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just watched 1917 last week and thought it was good. Not sure if it's realistic as I wasn't there.
The movie was great, but some parts was a bit funny because the soldiers were so clumsy it was almost borderline slapstick humour. The milk thing was also funny.

Zontyy

Don Juan
Reaction score
"The Bridge of the River Kwai" (POWs of japan in death march building railways) always been a favorite for me. There is also "Lawrence of Arabia", (Young british officer that works with Arabs against the Turks) "All Quiet on the Western Front", (WW1 film encompasses lots of story arches dealing with war from indoctrination, fear and PTSD) "The Deer Hunter",(Vietnam War PTSD film) "Patton"(Movie from the upper command side of things showing how politics can get in the way during WW2).

Last edited:

christie

Banned
Reaction score
The movie was great, but some parts was a bit funny because the soldiers were so clumsy it was almost borderline slapstick humour. The milk thing was also funny.
I remember there was funny and poignant parts to 1917. That was a good one.
I have the choice to see that one, Fury or Dunkirk today, so I'll see Dunkirk on the recommend, thanks.

Mike41090

Don Juan
Reaction score
Band of Brothers. I know it’s not a movie, it’s a miniseries but it is phenomenal even to this day. When I first watched The Pacific, I couldn’t help but compare it to Band of Brothers. But once I rewatched The Pacific, it is ALMOST comparable to Band of Brothers. I think World War 2 movies in the European theatre intrigue me a bit more, but that’s just me. Black Hawk Down is also good, couldn’t really tell you how accurate to warfare it really is, but my guess is, compared to the other movies around, is very good.

Mike41090

Don Juan
Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan is good, but I think is a bit overrated because of the cliche American soldiers kinda just tearing through German troops like there oblivious a battle is even going on. Always throws me off in war movies.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
I just picked up some random war movie from 1958 titled Kings Go Forth with Tony Curtis, Frank Sinatra and Natalie Wood but I'm not sure how much war is in it.
Seems like it might be a romantic triangulation drama.

I'll watch later.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan is good, but I think is a bit overrated because of the cliche American soldiers kinda just tearing through German troops like there oblivious a battle is even going on. Always throws me off in war movies.
Tom Hanks was also acting in that one. I remember watching it, but when they put an A-list actor in a War Movie, it sort of partially spoils the effect. Like Fury had Brad Pitt and Tom Hanks which his face is in many "true story" characters, you sort of see, this is "Tom Hanks". This may be a reason why I haven't re-watched both of those war movies.

Tom Hanks has acted in Greyhound 2020, this a war-movie depicting the U-boat fighting against Canadian/American allies delivering supplies across the Atlantic, and how the Greyhound boat helped fight them off (the account itself was fictional). This was released this year but can only be accessed via subscription to Apple plus, and unless you have an Apple-TV receiver, you have to stream it to the TV, and if you have an android rather than iphone, its very poor quality.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My cousin was in Iraq in the early days of the war. He has stories that end in "and then at dawn we stacked their dead bodies next to their vehicles and burnt everything."

They don't put that sh1t in movies.

Travel memoir21

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to wish all The Veterans in this forum a Happy Veterans day. There's a few veteran posters in this forum and I hope you guys got your free meal at Apple Bees or free ice cream blizzard at Dairy Queen, enjoy your day fellas.

Second, as far as the movie is concerned, I think Full Metal Jacket or Black Hawke Down does it for me.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just picked up some random war movie from 1958 titled Kings Go Forth with Tony Curtis, Frank Sinatra and Natalie Wood but I'm not sure how much war is in it.
Seems like it might be a romantic triangulation drama.

I'll watch later.
Also another movie that I would recommend is Hacksaw Ridge (2016). It is the most self-sacrificing and Christian of the war movies about someone risking their lives, in a Japanese strong-hold to rescue wounded soldiers and he went into the war without holding a gun because it was against his faith to kill people. He went to war to heal people rather than kill, and it's based on a true story.

I watched this, along with the two movies I had recommended last year. I'm glad you've made this thread. I've sort of backslid this month on my commitment to watch war movies. I've tried watching The Kill Team (2019), but it had too much swearing on it, but it might be good for someone else. Another movie I watched last month was called "King's Speech" (2010) which portrays King George V at the beginning of WW2 when he had to make a radio announcement about the war.

Other movies in my "to watch" list is
1) Aftermath (2017) - this deals with the clean-up after WW2 where Americans occupy homes once lived in by Germans and Germans are resentful of them. I've watched the first 20 min of this last year, but perhaps in this themed war-month, I'll view the rest of it.
2) Band of Brothers -- TV series of WW2 - focuses on East Company, 506 Regiment of the 101 Airborne division from 1942 to the end of WW2. - this is on my watch-list, but now that it's brought to light again, I may watch it before the month is over, at least the first few episodes.
3) They Shall not Grow Old (2018), this movie has actual footage from WW1 with some narrations from veterans who were alive during that time.
4) The Tuskegee Airmen (1995) -- African American pilots fighting during WW2.
5) Official Secrets (2019) - on my watchlist - Iraq War is in its subject matter.
6) Midway (2019) -- the battle of Midway - watched it earlier this year but it didn't make a strong impression as a war movie, don't hear its being referenced much anyway. Not sure if I'll re-watch this.
7) Franz (2016) - some type of story based after WW1. Rather boring, but may try to view this again.

The idea of having a war-movie themed month (couldn't possibly watch everything in one day, so I expand it to Remembrance Month - you know, just like you have Black History month in February, because you can't take everything in within one day. You have to really get into it to have a virtual mental experience like you are a participant in a historical war to imagine how it would be like being a solider, or how older veterans today would look in the prime of their lives looking at some of these Black and White war footages, etc....

I leave more specific movies dealing with Nazi Germany, the Holocaust and the Jewish experience for January as there are also a number of movies dealing with those themes. The last time I really spend a month looking at those types of movies was back in January 2011, but I visited Israel and its Holocaust museum in 2010 so that may have accounted for the additional interest in those types of movies at the time.

Of everything I can think of, I think Winston Churchill's speech "fight on the beaches", sort of stands-out as the British nation was steering into the face of a certain doom after the evacuation, and that speech, I could imagine, was really inspiring at that time. This was brilliantly placed at the end of the Dunkirk 2017 movie and was touching when the soldiers read about this in the newspaper.

One of the lines in the Dunkirk movie which were touching is how a soldier apologized for losing the war, and how a friendly and blind person told him, You've stayed alive, that's good enough....or something like that. Seeing those civilian boats come to the rescue at the beech when it appeared all hope was lost was also a moment that brought tears to my eyes.

I leave this with a youtube clip of Churchill's speech:

christie

Banned
Reaction score
Also another movie that I would recommend is Hacksaw Ridge (2016). It is the most self-sacrificing and Christian of the war movies about someone risking their lives, in a Japanese strong-hold to rescue wounded soldiers and he went into the war without holding a gun because it was against his faith to kill people. He went to war to heal people rather than kill, and it's based on a true story.

I watched this, along with the two movies I had recommended last year. I'm glad you've made this thread. I've sort of backslid this month on my commitment to watch war movies. I've tried watching The Kill Team (2019), but it had too much swearing on it, but it might be good for someone else. Another movie I watched last month was called "King's Speech" (2010) which portrays King George V at the beginning of WW2 when he had to make a radio announcement about the war.

Other movies in my "to watch" list is
1) Aftermath (2017) - this deals with the clean-up after WW2 where Americans occupy homes once lived in by Germans and Germans are resentful of them. I've watched the first 20 min of this last year, but perhaps in this themed war-month, I'll view the rest of it.
2) Band of Brothers -- TV series of WW2 - focuses on East Company, 506 Regiment of the 101 Airborne division from 1942 to the end of WW2. - this is on my watch-list, but now that it's brought to light again, I may watch it before the month is over, at least the first few episodes.
3) They Shall not Grow Old (2018), this movie has actual footage from WW1 with some narrations from veterans who were alive during that time.
4) The Tuskegee Airmen (1995) -- African American pilots fighting during WW2.
5) Official Secrets (2019) - on my watchlist - Iraq War is in its subject matter.
6) Midway (2019) -- the battle of Midway - watched it earlier this year but it didn't make a strong impression as a war movie, don't hear its being referenced much anyway. Not sure if I'll re-watch this.
7) Franz (2016) - some type of story based after WW1. Rather boring, but may try to view this again.

The idea of having a war-movie themed month (couldn't possibly watch everything in one day, so I expand it to Remembrance Month - you know, just like you have Black History month in February, because you can't take everything in within one day. You have to really get into it to have a virtual mental experience like you are a participant in a historical war to imagine how it would be like being a solider, or how older veterans today would look in the prime of their lives looking at some of these Black and White war footages, etc....

I leave more specific movies dealing with Nazi Germany, the Holocaust and the Jewish experience for January as there are also a number of movies dealing with those themes. The last time I really spend a month looking at those types of movies was back in January 2011, but I visited Israel and its Holocaust museum in 2010 so that may have accounted for the additional interest in those types of movies at the time.

Of everything I can think of, I think Winston Churchill's speech "fight on the beaches", sort of stands-out as the British nation was steering into the face of a certain doom after the evacuation, and that speech, I could imagine, was really inspiring at that time. This was brilliantly placed at the end of the Dunkirk 2017 movie and was touching when the soldiers read about this in the newspaper.

One of the lines in the Dunkirk movie which were touching is how a soldier apologized for losing the war, and how a friendly and blind person told him, You've stayed alive, that's good enough....or something like that. Seeing those civilian boats come to the rescue at the beech when it appeared all hope was lost was also a moment that brought tears to my eyes.

I leave this with a youtube clip of Churchill's speech:

Dunkirk was excellent, my heart is still beating fast from that incredible music score and change from scene of characters back to scene of different characters.

Of the movies in this quoted post 'They shall not grow old' is what I was hoping to find by the description.

For January movies may I recommend Paper Clips(2004)
A touching film.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you sincerely to everyone for these movie suggestions.

And a Happy Remembrance Day/Armistice Day/Veterans' Day to you all.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you sincerely to everyone for these movie suggestions.

And a Happy Remembrance Day/Armistice Day/Veterans' Day to you all.
To you as well....thanks for putting up this thread and reminding me of my focus for this month.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For this specific Remembrance Day, I've elected to pre-view the first episode of "Band of Brothers" directed by Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks. They have veterans talking at the beginning of the episode then it goes into the re-enactment. It looks like good directing into it because you are just drawn into that world and story. This is a mini-series in 2001 before the age of streaming (we are full of mini-series now). Hopefully I'll have enough time to view some other episodes.