Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Who here would like to live in the past?

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There will always be bugs around, it has in the past and it will be present in the future.

But don't worry, humans as a bigger bug, has that special capability to survive.
Someday we'll be gone too. The human race is just a fart in the wind.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would like to live in a world without COVID.
That would be a plus. And I wouldn't mind going into the not too distant path and be able to take advantage of what I know happens with the stock market. Sort of like Bif took advantage of his Sports Almanac in the second Back to the Future movie.

If I time traveled back though, there would be a question about identification, things like my social security number for example. I wouldn't want to start making big money and then catch the interest of the government and they find out I don't really exist in that time period and I end up locked up or something, not sure how that would work.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thinking about this is delusional and a complete waste of time.

U

user43770

I had a discussion in the other thread my guess is that most men would not like to live in the past.

Would you?

Let's say your time is randomly generated in the last 10k years
compared to being a random guy in the world or the west in current times.
Fvck yeah. I fantasize about being a warrior in my ancestors' homeland. I figure I'd die sooner, but oh the life I'd live!

Epicenter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thinking about this is delusional and a complete waste of time.
Maybe it makes you understand other person's mind better. Seems there is quite a difference between the futurists and the ones liking the past.

Funny thing is most would die before they grow up.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Someday we'll be gone too. The human race is just a fart in the wind.
A virus is a living entity and so are we.

We are by far the most successful virus the earth has ever seen, maybe too successful for earth's own well-being.

However I do believe, as we evolve further, our mindsets would change in tandem with that growth and we as a species can only grow further.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That would be a plus. And I wouldn't mind going into the not too distant path and be able to take advantage of what I know happens with the stock market. Sort of like Bif took advantage of his Sports Almanac in the second Back to the Future movie.

If I time traveled back though, there would be a question about identification, things like my social security number for example. I wouldn't want to start making big money and then catch the interest of the government and they find out I don't really exist in that time period and I end up locked up or something, not sure how that would work.
That’s a very good point about I.D.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

We are by far the most successful virus the earth has ever seen, maybe too successful for earth's own well-being.

However I do believe, as we evolve further, our mindsets would change in tandem with that growth and we as a species can only grow further.
Earth has been through far worse than humans. It will be fine and dandy after we've died out or left, until it's swallowed by the sun. We may be a virus but in the 4.5 billion year history of the Earth we're just a bad case of fleas.

If we're lucky and don't destroy ourselves, we'll have moved on to other worlds and galaxies.

Epicenter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I am for growth and selfimprovement but another perspective is that life is just a concept that exists in our minds and it is an artificial categorisation. What we are physically as far we understand are quantum energy fields floating and interacting with others. Not much more. The rest is a story.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Earth has been through far worse than humans. It will be fine and dandy after we've died out or left, until it's swallowed by the sun. We may be a virus but in the 4.5 billion year history of the Earth we're just a bad case of fleas.

If we're lucky and don't destroy ourselves, we'll have moved on to other worlds and galaxies.
No doubt we will move on to other worlds, its the nature of virus to find another host.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
I am for growth and selfimprovement but another perspective is that life is just a concept that exists in our minds and it is an artificial categorisation. What we are physically as far we understand are quantum energy fields floating and interacting with others. Not much more. The rest is a story.
It all starts from a dream, of wanting something, that's life.

Without that dream, there can be no life.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I spend my time thinking about what I can control. I live in the present, not the past.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Even as a thought experiment, such hypothetical questions are pointless. I see zero reason to believe the past is real, in the sense that it's a real place. Everything, from the moment of the big bang to the heat death of the universe, is simply an ongoing "process", which, when examined linearly and deterministically, consists of an infinitely complex series of events that are directly linked through cause and effect.

Furthermore, to get more annoyingly metaphysical, you cannot exist as you are now in the past, so this question is basically like asking "did humans in the past like existing in the time they existed?"

A better way to phrase this question is "what do you think was the best time to exist?" Yet it's still pointless to ask, the answer is always right now, or else you wouldn't be here.

To answer the question though, I do think it would be interesting to live Greece roughly in the time of Socrates. But again, if the current "me" that would like to live in that time did in fact live in that time, it wouldn't be me, and so this thought experiment has no meaning.

Last edited:

Epicenter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Even as a thought experiment, such hypothetical questions are pointless. I see zero reason to believe the past is real, in the sense that it's a real place. Everything, from the moment of the big bang to the heat death of the universe, is simply an ongoing "process", which, when examined linearly and deterministically, consists of an infinitely complex series of events that are directly linked through cause and effect.

Furthermore, to get more annoyingly metaphysical, you cannot exist as you are now in the past, so this question is basically like asking "did humans in the past like existing in the time they existed?"

A better way to phrase this question is "what do you think was the best time to exist?" Yet it's still pointless to ask, the answer is always right now, or else you wouldn't be here.

To answer the question though, I do think it would be interesting to live Greece roughly in the time of Socrates. But again, if the "me" that would like to live in that time did in fact live in that time, it wouldn't be me, and so holding this opinion would have no meaning.
Socrates and the first question of philisophy might be who am I? This thought experiment gives you and others some perspective about what kind of guy you are.

That is why we created thousands of labels to get closer to figure it out.

Fun fact: The second or maybe the first question might be: To be or not to be.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Socrates and the first question of philisophy might be who am I? This thought experiment gives you and others some perspective about what kind of guy you are.

That is why we created thousands of labels to get closer to figure it out.

Fun fact: The second or maybe the first question might be: To be or not to be.
My whole argument wasn't based on Socrates (or Greek philosophy in general, which is extremely dualistic) but Buddhism, which describes how the self is an illusion, and is now backed up by neuroscientific studies.

I'm saying this thought experiment doesn't help you understand what kind of guy you are, because the kind of guy you are right now is based off of 21st century genetics and social conditions, so to imagine your self as you are now in the past is utterly meaningless since it is impossible.

Epicenter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My whole argument wasn't based on Socrates (or Greek philosophy in general, which is extremely dualistic) but Buddhism, which describes how the self is an illusion, and is now backed up by neuroscientific studies.

I'm saying this thought experiment doesn't help you understand what kind of guy you are, because the kind of guy you are right now is based off of 21st century genetics and social conditions, so to imagine your self as you are now in the past is utterly meaningless since it is impossible.
There are many perspectives to it. It can mean a black guy in Afrika. Or a aborigines guy in Australia. Or a muslim in Mekka.