Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Masters In Europe/Quitting Job And Moving Abroad

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I've been grappling with this for a few weeks, and thought I would take my dilemma here. Let me break it down.

I worked in TV and radio for 8 years, then worked in higher ed another 8. My job in higher ed is media-related. It's great in terms of benefits and people, but sucks in terms of advancement and salary. I got the job right before the economic crash so it's served me well, but I've mastered it and I can't stand to be there another year. I'm unchallenged. There's a real ceiling above me unless I shell out for a Masters in something I don't want, and anyway, I don't want to move up where I am.

The past few years, I've applied to numerous jobs in production. I've had some interviews and no offers. In a nutshell, time has passed me by while on my current job. I have scores of contacts, but professionally, I've slipped. I have an experience gap.

In the meanwhile, on a whim, I applied to a Masters program in Spain that's in production - including new digital media formats. The cost: $3,000, and six months of my time. I was accepted and it starts in the fall, in a beautiful coastal city.

I speak Spanish, and am an EU citizen, so I can live and work legally there. In fact, it's always been a dream of mine to live in Europe, especially where the weather suits my clothes.

As a plus, I want the challenge of doing a Masters in my field that's taught in a foreign language. I normally wouldn't care about the degree, but I feel I need to hit the reset button on my career, and maybe do something personally challenging and rewarding. Maybe even stay there long-term.

I've also studied up on Spain's economy, and it's finally growing. Not saying it's ideal, but better to get in on the ground floor than a country that's already peaked growth-wise.

The cons are I leave my steady paycheck, friends, family, and girlfriend behind.

More pros: Better weather, more outdoor space, better and safer quality of life. I live in NYC and am tired of winter and crowds. Also I want to see more of Europe, Africa, Asia, etc.

Thoughts?

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^I wrote the above with a beer/wine buzz and honestly it looks like my mind is almost made up.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clear your mind; your inner chatter. In this moment of silence, if you were free from all concerns, anxieties, and fears--what does your will call upon you to do?

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clear your mind; your inner chatter. In this moment of silence, if you were free from all concerns, anxieties, and fears--what does your will call upon you to do?
I'll do that - do you mean regarding this particular choice, or anything?

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This choice. And if you were free from any mental/psychological encumbrances here in the states, have you exhausted your efforts here, whereas to deem that you have in fact reached a ceiling. And if you look deeper and find that you only reached a ceiling due to inaction, what else could you have done? Is your ceiling self-contrived; was there more you could have pushed on? If so, why didn't you push?

Or maybe your efforts are truly exhausted here, and you're looker for stronger markets that your will could capitalize on.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't want to rationalize the decision, but I do feel my efforts have been exhausted. I've networked, I've applied, I've interviewed, I've pestered. I feel like I've ossified a bit on this job - not that it hasn't been good overall, but as I said, I've mastered it. This isn't an easy decision because it means I have to quit and take a gamble (and spend money) to free myself.

However, the allure of living abroad, and challenging myself in other ways, is appealing. I didn't study abroad in college, and I nearly moved to Spain 13 years ago and to Brazil just 2 years ago before changing my mind. I even interviewed for a job that was in the Middle East at one point. I want the feeling of mastering a second language, finding my way. On top of that, I'm tired of NYC, and I don't really want to live anywhere else in the U.S. The city I'd moved to has beaches, park space, public transit, sunny weather, and a low cost of living.

I also spent several years amassing a case to be recognized as a dual citizen, partly so that I could have this freedom to live in Europe. I want to take advantage of it. Unfortunately, I don't have the kind of executive profile that could land me a job there without moving there first, if that makes sense.

Maybe I should just read my own signature from Peter O'Toole.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a strong advocator of living outside of your comfort zone. Those who chase comfort, stagnate in it. Those who challenge themselves and frequent areas in their life that feel uncomfortable reach new heights and thus progress in their evolution.

As to whether your ceiling is genuine or contrived, only YOU know the answer.

his isn't an easy decision because it means I have to quit and take a gamble (and spend money) to free myself
Quitting could be a decision of strength, if it entails quitting your comfort zone and progressing toward novel waters.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Louis L'Amour quote: A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat.

Keep 10k back stateside as a fallback. Your plan sounds great. Only question I have is about the masters. Are you doing it to get a visa or does the field you are targeting really require one?

I've had a couple of friends who r solid in their Fields but not Top Dogs move over to Europe and land the job while still in Australia. You might not get your choice of cities to start with. There's a website called jobs in hubs ie cities that people commute to. These cities often conduct business in English.

Last edited:

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Louis L'Amour quote: A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat.

Keep 10k back stateside as a fallback. Your plan sounds great. Only question I have is about the masters. Are you doing it to get a visa or does the field you are targeting really require one?
Good quote. In fact I don't need a visa - I'm a citizen already and can work over there. I'd be doing the program to catch up on some digital formats, make new connections (there is an internship component at the end), and challenge myself personally and professionally...because I've hit a wall.

Edit - building on guru's notion of quitting as strength...I don't want to wind up eventually without this job and in the same situation but with no plan. (E.g., laid off down the road.)

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I work in i t so I'm certainly familiar with having to keep up with your field. The only concern I have about it is the amount of money you would be dropping on a masters. If the goals are to live Abroad and strike out in a new career Direction I'm wondering if you could do that directly by taking a months leave without pay from your current gig. Go hard applying online before you go and make it clear that you will be there and available for interviews in person. Say your family is moving there or your wife has to move for a job or whatever so that the employer believes you have to move. Otherwise they will always go with the local guy.

Not arguing with your choices just putting up another option.

From your posts here you're a confident thoughtful articulate guy so I have no doubt that you will make a success of whatever move you make.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks ubercat. I've considered that, too. Not a bad alternative. $3k is cheap for a masters, compared with the US where it's tens of thousands. But it's still money (and lost time earning money). My fear is that I've been applying to jobs for a few years here in the U.S. and come up empty...so in a foreign country where I have zero connections, I might need the degree program (and its internship component) to give me a launch pad. I'm not 100% certain on that though.

I guess I see the opportunity as a multi-faceted one: Earn the degree, live abroad, master a foreign language I know pretty well, and move forward with my career. If I have to work part-time in a cafe or whatever while in school, I don't mind doing that. That's how bored and stuck I feel.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3K is nothing. I hope you're replying from the airport lounge ;-)

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That raised my eyebrow as well. I'm not sure except that I think Masters programs are new to Spain. It's 60 credits, anyway.

I'm leaning toward not doing it now, for reasons I'll get into later. Might at least defer a year.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok. It was a friendly, random question out of curiousity. It wasn't a criticism in any way. :)

I'm sure you'll make the right decision with the timing that works best for you.
I didn't think you were being critical...must be my dry tone.

Some days it seems like a great idea; other days, not so much. I do enjoy earning salary and paying off debts. Not so sure a masters will bump my salary that much (not that there aren't other reasons to do it).

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't do this in 2016 because my debt was too high. It's been paid down. Re-applied for the program. Might move there anyway if I don't get in. Either way, I want to quit my job and go in the Fall.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Life is too short to not do what you love/want to do. Don't be like those cowards who always ***** about their station in life but are too chicken**** to do anything about it. When I was in banking I worked with many people who did not like it and hated the long hours- they were constantly miserable and would ***** and complain but yet.....never did a ****ing thing about it.

That being said make sure you save up for a couple of months. If this is something you REALLY WANT i'm sure it'll work out for you.

Magotrox

Don Juan
Reaction score
I always choose what will make me happier and live with the best life quality. Follow your happiness and dreams. If the paycheck is higher, but, for that, I must lose my happiness or life quality, I just refuse that. Money is not all. Happiness and life quality is all. SATISFACTION IS ALL.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The funny thing is my job isn't so bad, I just know it's time to move on. There's no room for advancement, nor would I want to advance. Living in Spain has been a quiet dream of mine. I will have plenty of cash saved, I'm eligible to work legally, and I speak the language. Very excited to jump into the deep end of the pool!