Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How much you bench?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Wasn't a fan of flat bench as I had an impingement and that bothered the hell out of it.

My PR for decline was 380 lbs for 2 reps. Partially tore my left pec on the second rep, but ended up getting it back up.

Last edited:

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can imagine. It somewhat depends on how you hold the bar. Making sure your knuckles point upward helps a bit ;)
I've never done it before, 2 weeks ago I tried it with 225 x 8 reps, and my wrists was hurting a lot, also I get more stretch with dumbbells idk

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I can imagine. It somewhat depends on how you hold the bar. Making sure your knuckles point upward helps a bit ;)
In general, I always try to squeeze my hands together when they are on the bar for greater pec activation. You don't actually move your hands, but you act like you are trying to push them together while on the bar. Pretty intense.

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Always did oldschool boxing(no weight lifting), and recently picked up weights, like a year ago.

My plateau seems to be the bar and 2 x 20 kg.

In the past I have injured my shoulder by ego lifting, so I am extremely careful about increasing weight

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most I ever did was 225lbs 5x but that's when I weighed 200+ lbs.

Nowadays, at any given time I'm somewhere around 200 +/-5 for 3-5x, can't seem to get much higher since I prefer being lean as possible

Also, bench is a poor representation of overall strength.

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Most I ever did was 225lbs 5x but that's when I weighed 200+ lbs.

Nowadays, at any given time I'm somewhere around 200 +/-5 for 3-5x, can't seem to get much higher since I prefer being lean as possible

Also, bench is a poor representation of overall strength.

That's not a reason you shouldn't be able to lift more. I was 188 lbs and sub 10% BF when I hit my PR of 380.

Some combination of not pushing yourself enough, not training for strength increases or perhaps genetic limitations.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Currently 161 lbs and last chest day was 3 sets of 6 at 215 while starting to focus on going 100% again after a reoccurring tendon/ligament issue. Still present, but not limiting.

At 175lbs my 1 rep max was 295.

M

member160292

5x5 @ 215lb, so close to 2 plates, maybe another 2 months before I hit it since I’ll be traveling the next month.
Any ideas on how to maintain strength from hotel gyms?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Currently 161 lbs and last chest day was 3 sets of 6 at 215 while starting to focus on going 100% again after a reoccurring tendon/ligament issue. Still present, but not limiting.

At 175lbs my 1 rep max was 295.
Shoulder? Shoulder injuries are the worst...they never truly go away 100%, always lurking in the background to reappear at some point. Dealt with an impingement since my college days and have gone a few years sometimes without any issues and then seemingly out of nowhere it rears its ugly head again.

As you get older the default is to be working around an injury almost constantly it seems...one heals and then another somewhere else pops up. Definitely have noticed the body breaks done a lot more as you age and that is with me taking care of it properly, taking collagen peptides regularly and being on top of nutrition for 90% of the time. I'd hate to see guys that do none of that at my age...

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
5x5 @ 215lb, so close to 2 plates, maybe another 2 months before I hit it since I’ll be traveling the next month.
Any ideas on how to maintain strength from hotel gyms?
Heavy resistance bands. Very easy to pack and take with you on the road, fits in a suitcase. I have and recommend TorroBands.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's not a reason you shouldn't be able to lift more. I was 188 lbs and sub 10% BF when I hit my PR of 380.

Some combination of not pushing yourself enough, not training for strength increases or perhaps genetic limitations.
I'm inclined to believe it's genetics. I tried Stronglifts, Madcow/Texas Method, numerous times and my own routines, getting over 205 or so at my weight seems nearly impossible. I can get my squat and deadlift up more easily though.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I'm inclined to believe it's genetics. I tried Stronglifts, Madcow/Texas Method, numerous times and my own routines, getting over 205 or so at my weight seems nearly impossible.
Quite possible. Everyone has different levels naturally of white versus red muscle fiber, and although you can alter it somewhat based on training modalities, in large part, you will always be more efficient and better at what you are naturally aligned with.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never done it before, 2 weeks ago I tried it with 225 x 8 reps, and my wrists was hurting a lot, also I get more stretch with dumbbells idk
You are holding the bar in the fingers and upper palm. This is causing the bar to crank your wrist back. Not only is this wrong, you are leaking power on the concentric portion of your bench. This is actually very common. The bar should sit in your hands so that the weight is directly over your forearms. Position the bar on your palms with open hands while spreading your fingers. Slightly turn your hands/ thumbs inward/ down. Now grab the bar.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shoulder? Shoulder injuries are the worst...they never truly go away 100%, always lurking in the background to reappear at some point. Dealt with an impingement since my college days and have gone a few years sometimes without any issues and then seemingly out of nowhere it rears its ugly head again.

As you get older the default is to be working around an injury almost constantly it seems...one heals and then another somewhere else pops up. Definitely have noticed the body breaks done a lot more as you age and that is with me taking care of it properly, taking collagen peptides regularly and being on top of nutrition for 90% of the time. I'd hate to see guys that do none of that at my age...
No. I think it's both flexor and extender forearm tendonitis.

Funny you say that, I just got some hydrolyzed bovine collagen type 1&3 yesterday.

Last edited: