Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Glutes

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My wife says my glutes are terrible and I agree. I’ve lifted on and off for years but can’t actually recall once being sore in my glutes.

I squat, and do straight leg deadlifts. Even with the deadlifts, I get sore in my upper hams, not my ass. I squat deep but still don’t get myhc

I’ve searched online and I get a ton of exercises, some are body weight stuff I’ve done before but are nowhere near challenging enough to get real stress into the muscle.

can anyone recommend one challenging heavy move I can add to my routine to target glutes specifically? Squats and dead’s just don’t cut it. Wondering if sprinting is the answer?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Do wide/sumo squats...those target your glutes and hamstrings. If you don't feel it in your glutes then it's likely your form is off, those usually make my ass sore for days if I lift heavy enough.

Also try Jefferson Deadlifts. That should hit that area as well.

Mule kicks with a weighted cable are effective too if done properly.

Hip thrusts with a loaded barbell are very good.

Glute bridges with a band around your legs just above your knees where you open and close your legs while in the bridge are highly effective as well. Try going up, open, close, down and repeat. Push from the base of your heels not the front of your foot.

Foundation training is excellent, that also works your glutes tremendously well even tho it isn't lifting per se. It teaches your body how to use the posterior chain properly so it's also beneficial with other exercises and eliminating lower back pain.

Be careful what you ask for tho...you will likely need to buy new pants. I have ripped countless pairs of pants from my legs/glutes getting too big, usually in 3 places. Along the outside seam of my legs around the mid quad from squatting/bending down, under the groin area from it being too tight, and the seam at the upper part of my butt from my butt getting too large for the pants.

Additionally I have torn boxer briefs and pants in unrepairable places in the actual fabric halfway down my butt cheek several times.

Ended up basically replacing all my pants with ones a size or two too big which fixes that issue but then it ends up bunched up around the waist.

The things they don't tell you about working out...

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do wide/sumo squats...those target your glutes and hamstrings. If you don't feel it in your glutes then it's likely your form is off, those usually make my ass sore for days if I lift heavy enough.

Also try Jefferson Deadlifts. That should hit that area as well.

Mule kicks with a weighted cable are effective too if done properly.

Hip thrusts with a loaded barbell are very good.

Glute bridges with a band around your legs just above your knees where you open and close your legs while in the bridge are highly effective as well. Try going up, open, close, down and repeat. Push from the base of your heels not the front of your foot.

Foundation training is excellent, that also works your glutes tremendously well even tho it isn't lifting per se. It teaches your body how to use the posterior chain properly so it's also beneficial with other exercises and eliminating lower back pain.

Be careful what you ask for tho...you will likely need to buy new pants. I have ripped countless pairs of pants from my legs/glutes getting too big, usually in 3 places. Along the outside seam of my legs around the mid quad from squatting/bending down, under the groin area from it being too tight, and the seam at the upper part of my butt from my butt getting too large for the pants.

Additionally I have torn boxer briefs and pants in unrepairable places in the actual fabric halfway down my butt cheek several times.

Ended up basically replacing all my pants with ones a size or two too big which fixes that issue but then it ends up bunched up around the waist.

The things they don't tell you about working out...
Am not on gear so I doubt it will be that dramatic!

I used to do sumo deadlift - would that suffice?

form is pretty good on squats. I feel it in my hips and quads and my stiff dead I feel it up back of legs but never right in the buttocks

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Am not on gear so I doubt it will be that dramatic!

I used to do sumo deadlift - would that suffice?

form is pretty good on squats. I feel it in my hips and quads and my stiff dead I feel it up back of legs but never right in the buttocks
I was not on gear for any appreciable length of time, body can't handle it. Depends on how much you are lifting and for how long. Also on genetics to a large degree. My lower body tends to grow like weeds from lifting. Upper body as well save for biceps which is irritating haha

It should, but I would add in one of the others for more specific focus(hip thrusts/glute bridge/mule kicks). Weaker or underdeveloped body parts can always use some extra work to help them catch up.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was not on gear for any appreciable length of time, body can't handle it. Depends on how much you are lifting and for how long. Also on genetics to a large degree. My lower body tends to grow like weeds from lifting. Upper body as well save for biceps which is irritating haha

It should, but I would add in one of the others for more specific focus(hip thrusts/glute bridge/mule kicks). Weaker or underdeveloped body parts can always use some extra work to help them catch up.
ah i misremembered - I could have sworn you were pinning.

I respond well to lifting but I’ve always been: overweight - cut - overweight - cut. I’ve never actually built in 15 years. I get the weight off and enjoy the new found healthy and end up going back to pizza and beer.

It would be great to fix this finally.

I currently am in a cut and still have like 30 lb to go till I’m about 15%.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
ah i misremembered - I could have sworn you were pinning.

I respond well to lifting but I’ve always been: overweight - cut - overweight - cut. I’ve never actually built in 15 years. I get the weight off and enjoy the new found healthy and end up going back to pizza and beer.

It would be great to fix this finally.

I currently am in a cut and still have like 30 lb to go till I’m about 15%.
I am on TRT but that isn't going to help become huge, it helps with lowering abdominal fat and keeping T levels stable.

Sounds like we have the same endomorphic body type. I tend to be the same way, although I can both lose and gain weight pretty easily. If I start eating junk food and not working out, can easily gain 10lbs in a month. It sucks, I kinda wish I was like one of these dudes that could eat anything and it didn't matter...

I've got about 18 lbs left to get to my target weight, which at my current pace should be end of June-ish. Down 37 since mid January. Irritated I let myself gain that much weight over the winter this year.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am on TRT but that isn't going to help become huge, it helps with lowering abdominal fat and keeping T levels stable.

Sounds like we have the same endomorphic body type. I tend to be the same way, although I can both lose and gain weight pretty easily. If I start eating junk food and not working out, can easily gain 10lbs in a month. It sucks, I kinda wish I was like one of these dudes that could eat anything and it didn't matter...

I've got about 18 lbs left to get to my target weight, which at my current pace should be end of June-ish. Down 37 since mid January. Irritated I let myself gain that much weight over the winter this year.
amazing effort dude . I’m 8 lb down since start April.

Contrary to your advice im running a 1000 cal deficit on low (50g) carbs for 3 more weeks just to get bulk of it off, then will swap to 500 cal deficit and concentrate on lifts. Holiday in July so im going a bit crazy on deficit just to shift it.

thinking of loading on creating before holiday and lifting heavy for the last month before. Thoughts on creatine? I found it worked wonders when I was young and seemed to make me look far more muscular really quickly

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

Contrary to your advice im running a 1000 cal deficit on low (50g) carbs for 3 more weeks just to get bulk of it off, then will swap to 500 cal deficit and concentrate on lifts. Holiday in July so im going a bit crazy on deficit just to shift it.

thinking of loading on creating before holiday and lifting heavy for the last month before. Thoughts on creatine? I found it worked wonders when I was young and seemed to make me look far more muscular really quickly
If it works for you, then go for it. Personally, I don't think it's optimal to ever put yourself in that much of a caloric deficit, with the exception of fast days where you intake 0 calories. Fasts actually increase your metabolism afterwards.

Lowering calories to that level for a prolonged basis leads to lowered Leptin levels(after 5 days Leptin will be cut by 50%), which is your body's fat burning thermometer. At that point your body will be fighting you and making you work a lot harder for every pound you lose. I prefer to use my body to assist hormonally rather than set it up to fight me hormonally.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it works for you, then go for it. Personally, I don't think it's optimal to ever put yourself in that much of a caloric deficit, with the exception of fast days where you intake 0 calories. Fasts actually increase your metabolism afterwards.

Lowering calories to that level for a prolonged basis leads to lowered Leptin levels(after 5 days Leptin will be cut by 50%), which is your body's fat burning thermometer. At that point your body will be fighting you and making you work a lot harder for every pound you lose. I prefer to use my body to assist hormonally rather than set it up to fight me hormonally.
the issue is, I have a LOT to lose and psychologically losing say 10lb in 3-4 weeks will make sticking to a smaller deficit easier. Currently it just seems like forever.

bear in mind I am 220 lb, 6 foot 3 so 2lb a week isn’t the same as if I was say 5 8 and 170.

given the above how about I compromise and do a carb only refeed once every 2 weeks?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
the issue is, I have a LOT to lose and psychologically losing say 10lb in 3-4 weeks will make sticking to a smaller deficit easier. Currently it just seems like forever.

bear in mind I am 220 lb, 6 foot 3 so 2lb a week isn’t the same as if I was say 5 8 and 170.

given the above how about I compromise and do a carb only refeed once every 2 weeks?
That's what you don't seem to be understanding. Creating a huge calorie deficit is hindering your progress not helping it. You are slowing down your rate of weight loss, not speeding it up.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I started doing weighted hip thrusts my glutes were sore the next day for the first 3 months. Felt it more than deadlifts, give them a go, and pause at the top. Also wide-step split squats work my glutes well.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
When I started doing weighted hip thrusts my glutes were sore the next day for the first 3 months. Felt it more than deadlifts, give them a go, and pause at the top. Also wide-step split squats work my glutes well.
Super wide leg presses also and cable mule kicks

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

This is a good reminder of how dynamic our metabolism is and why it makes it tough to find the right diet/etc

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score

This might not be the advice you want to hear, but your plans/goals should be based on how you want to look on vacation NEXT July, not next month. Short-term goals are great, but it's much more sustainable to get into a moderate long term routine than to overload for some short term goals.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This might not be the advice you want to hear, but your plans/goals should be based on how you want to look on vacation NEXT July, not next month. Short-term goals are great, but it's much more sustainable to get into a moderate long term routine than to overload for some short term goals.
This is so true, I’m in really great shape this summer, probably the best I’ve been in over 10 years, but I realise what a slow process it’s been. I’m actually targeting 2024 for my goal physique and 12% bf, I am just autopiloting my diet and exercise and enjoying the journey.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with you guys. I follow renaissance periodization and they have you do a cut, then go into maintenance for at least an equal amoutn of time.. then another cut etc. The cuts usually run 8-12 weeks. I tend to do better on the longer cuts.

I've entered 2 of their transformation contests and always improve a little. I'm in better shape this summer than last but not by a dramatic amount. My body fat needs to drop more for sure still. Its a process.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a good reminder of how dynamic our metabolism is and why it makes it tough to find the right diet/etc
Not that tough. Eat a diet low in calorie dense foods. That means cut out the added fat, sugar, and the bulk of the diet should be raw fruit and vegetables. In short, removing butter, oil, fatty meat, juice, soda, alcohol, white bread / rice / pasta, desserts, and full fat dairy will shed the pounds fast.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Not that tough. Eat a diet low in calorie dense foods. That means cut out the added fat, sugar, and the bulk of the diet should be raw fruit and vegetables. In short, removing butter, oil, fatty meat, juice, soda, alcohol, white bread / rice / pasta, desserts, and full fat dairy will shed the pounds fast.
The initial discussion was about getting stuck after dropping a bunch of weight. Most people attempt to lower their caloric intake to continue losing weight, but that's almost always the wrong decision. Going back to maintenance calories for a week or two is usually the right decision.

Actually had a study where one group of people ate at maintenance for 2 weeks after being in a caloric deficit for 8-12 weeks losing weight, and another group that continued in the same caloric deficit. At the end, the group that took maintenance breaks lost 4.9 kg more weight and maintained their metabolic rate while the group that didn't had a metabolic rate drop of over 380 calories.

Anytime I get 'stuck' within a certain range for more than 2 weeks, raising calories pretty much is always the answer.

Last edited:

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since this is a glutes discussion… has anyone noticed on a fat loss diet that their glutes dont look as good. I know fat loss is not local so i am sure this is why. I have a big butt so not as much of an issue for me as my flat assed friends