Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Are Personal Trainers a Waste of Money

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
I feel like it's basically someone who'll give you a program you can find online and who will spot you. I've seen a few around my gym working with clients, it seems like the main reason they have them around is for accountability reasons.

The PTs at my gym charge $90 per session which is more than a month gym membership (it costs $60 a month to go to my gym).

Has anyone used a PT before? What was the experience like and was it actually worth the money?

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought PTs existed for coke dealers to have a legitimate 2 hour a day job where they can bang married women?

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel like it's basically someone who'll give you a program you can find online and who will spot you. I've seen a few around my gym working with clients, it seems like the main reason they have them around is for accountability reasons.

The PTs at my gym charge $90 per session which is more than a month gym membership (it costs $60 a month to go to my gym).

Has anyone used a PT before? What was the experience like and was it actually worth the money?
IMO, most are glorified sales people with clipboards and polo shirts who received their certification online and must follow commonly accepted practices advocated by their certifying bodies that dispense training and nutritional knowledge that has long been outdated and proven wrong or ineffective. That said, there are good solid coaches and trainers out there, but they typically don't call you from the gym or sign you up for your membership. They are the ones you must seek out and who are in demand that you heard of through word of mouth by people who have made significant gains as a result of these trainers. These trainers should also lift the weights or sport the physique that you aspire to have. If they don't, they maybe did at one time and their trainees are a walking testament. Everybody starts somewhere so I suppose you may get lucky with hiring an up and coming trainer who also sold you a membership.

Borknagar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

It really depends. When I first got into working out I've done this twice. The first time I got a guy that was just chill as ****, His actual name was "Quest". I guess he is partly indirectly got me into pick up while I started that stuff 2 years later. I would say he was top 3 of the trainers I've seen. But he was a more muscular athletic type, so that fits well with me.

He only charged me like $150 a month to train me 3 times a week, but it was in his off time usually just before or after his shift. That was a killer deal. He left and then I eventually went to LA Fitness, paid like 2k for a bunch of sessions that ended up taking 3 years to finish up. So in that time I saw a lot of variety. What I learned is if you're new to all this, pick a trainer who you want yourself to look like. Someone with a similar stature as you but with the muscles you want. Now I'm not saying all other trainers can't be versatile, sure they can. One of my top 3 was this older chubby bald dude. He'd be the last guy you'd pick to train you, but he knew his ****. I wouldn't say my top 3 in any order. The first guy I mentioned is in there, he taught me negatives. And it's hard to choose who to describe as a 3rd top 3. I had this one hugely muscular guy train me, like think Dwayne Johnson. I couldn't lift above my chest for a week. There was my drinking pal, well, I partied with many of the trainers there on occasion, he was probably pretty typical. Mix of free weights and machines. I think a good balance, but he didn't challenge movements.

The moral of the story is they are all different. It's like picking a doctor, a dentist, or your insurance company. But how long should you see one would depend on you. I would recommend someone get a good one for a good 2 months if you've never done this before. Watch youtube videos from respected trainers. Take all safety precautions, particularly your form. Also remember that the gym isn't a replacement for proper nutrition.

Borknagar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IMO, most are glorified sales people with clipboards and polo shirts who received their certification online and must follow commonly accepted practices advocated by their certifying bodies that dispense training and nutritional knowledge that has long been outdated and proven wrong or ineffective. That said, there are good solid coaches and trainers out there, but they typically don't call you from the gym or sign you up for your membership. They are the ones you must seek out and who are in demand that you heard of through word of mouth by people who have made significant gains as a result of these trainers. These trainers should also lift the weights or sport the physique that you aspire to have. If they don't, they maybe did at one time and their trainees are a walking testament. Everybody starts somewhere so I suppose you may get lucky with hiring an up and coming trainer who also sold you a membership.
This is very true. One of the guys I talked to about this only made straight $14 an hour and he had a bachelors degree in physical science or something very similar. Though this was 10 years ago. For most these guys they have or had a passion for it but realize it isn't going to pay the bills and they're off doing something else. When you go into a gym, how old are the trainers? Usually no older than 30 and even that's pushing it. You might have 1 or 2 older part timers who do it for the extra cash and they still have the passion.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Depends on how much they know and how good they are at their job. Good ones are worth every penny. It's hard to find a good one tho. Most are worthless.

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
So I did a "free" trial session with one of them now. Basically spent the hour asking about my fitness goals and what I know and signing a bunch of stuff saying I have no injuries. Then we did some basic stretches and that was literally it. He said we will start the real sessions next week. Asked if I wanted to book sessions with him, he also charges an additional $10 per week for "customised workout plans".

In the gym I usually just see these PTs walking through clients from one machine to the next and counting reps while occasionally correcting form.

I don't really see why this is worth $90 per hour

Bingo-Player

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Complete scam industry built on peoples body insecurities

Most trainers will promise the earth what they fail to mention is that YOU are going to do 95% of the work yourself

If you want to get into shape you have to do this with or without them

What's worse is most of the "knowledge" these guys have is extremely basic and realistically could be learnt in a week

IF you know absolutely nothing about foods / dieting it could be worth having one for a month just to get an idea of what you need to be eating

Other than that waste of money

M

member160292

If you decide to go this route, try to get an older guy. The best trainer I had was a gym owner guy in his 50s.

The young guys probably are in it mostly for puzzy and $.
That makes a lot sense. If they have a good physique at that age, you can forecast what you need to do years down the line.

Off topic, but EVERY time I go to my gym at different hours, I see this yoked guy working out with a (his?) chick. Like do you guys have jobs?

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Used one for a few sessions for accountability like you said and good form, I just needed a reason to get into the gym and paying someone money up front is a good way to do that (for me). When I was in the routine of eating healthy and working out I let him go, everything is online.

Bigpapa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Complete scam industry built on peoples body insecurities

Most trainers will promise the earth what they fail to mention is that YOU are going to do 95% of the work yourself

If you want to get into shape you have to do this with or without them

What's worse is most of the "knowledge" these guys have is extremely basic and realistically could be learnt in a week

IF you know absolutely nothing about foods / dieting it could be worth having one for a month just to get an idea of what you need to be eating

Other than that waste of money
a fitness coach should be more or less like a gym buddy , basically motivating you when you start becoming lazy or not believe in yourself

when you go to a gym with a friend or even study with someone else , things will go smoother than when going alone

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The young guys probably are in it mostly for puzzy and $.
What about the younger women (under 35-40)? What are they trying to accomplish in that line of work? Validation and carousel riding from top tier guys?

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
What about the younger women (under 35-40)? What are they trying to accomplish in that line of work? Validation and carousel riding from top tier guys?
Circa 2003, I had a woman trainer about 27 yo that had trained me for a few sessions. I was continuing to go the gym on my own and following the workout sheet she made for me.

It was a multi-floor gym complex. Near closing time, I went back upstairs for minute to grab my workout sheet out of the filing cabinet. (I wanted to take the sheet home to review my progress.)

I accidentally saw her hooking up with a guy trainer behind one of the machines. She was on all fours lol. I left, and they didn’t see me.

To answer your question…

Validation to show of their knowledge? Sure. To hook up with top tier guys? Absolutely lol.

Last edited:

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Circa 2003, I had a woman trainer about 27 yo that had trained me for a few sessions. I was continuing to go the gym on my own and following the workout sheet she made for me.

It was a multi-floor gym complex. Near closing time, I went back upstairs for minute to grab my workout sheet out of the filing cabinet. (I wanted to take the sheet home to review my progress.)

I accidentally saw her hooking up with a guy trainer behind one of the machines. She was on all fours lol. I left, and they didn’t see me.

To answer your question…

Validation to show of their knowledge? Sure. To hook up with top tier guys? Absolutely lol.
That gym seemed fancy, even by 2003 standards. If it was a corporate gym, seemed nicer than a 24 Hour or LA Fitness. Could have been a Lifetime, Equinox, or a higher priced independent.

It’s common for female trainers at gyms to have sex with male trainers at gyms. That even happens at 24 & LA. Also happens in higher end facilities.

Male trainers regularly have sex with female clients. It’s less common for a female trainer to have sex with a male client but it happens.

CoandaEffect

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think they are a total waste of money. Find a couple of trainers with YouTube channels and watch them. One I like is called Athleanx, but there are others that are good. I’ve also learnt a lot by just watching other guys at the gym and doing what they do.

There are some lazy people that only go to the gym when they have a training session. The number one thing to do is make sure you go 3 or 4 times a week and work hard when you are there.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
That gym seemed fancy, even by 2003 standards. If it was a corporate gym, seemed nicer than a 24 Hour or LA Fitness. Could have been a Lifetime, Equinox, or a higher priced independent.

It’s common for female trainers at gyms to have sex with male trainers at gyms. That even happens at 24 & LA. Also happens in higher end facilities.

Male trainers regularly have sex with female clients. It’s less common for a female trainer to have sex with a male client but it happens.
It was a higher priced independent.

She was average as a trainer.

But I got a free, accelerated red/black pill education at the end lol.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It was a higher priced independent.

She was average as a trainer.

But I got a free, accelerated red/black pill education at the end of my sessions lol.
If she was 27 in 2003, that would make her 46 now. Right around menopausal age. It’d be curious to see how she’s aged in the past 19 years. Perhaps she popped out a baby or two since 2003, assuming she was childless in 2003.

I’m not surprised she was an average trainer. Most trainers are average by nature.

I’m currently thinking about hiring a PT at my independent gym. This thread is helpful to me.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I found PT useful to help with proper form. Avoiding injuries. A good PT can give some nutrition advice as well.
Avoiding injuries is huge! If you get injured, there’s a good chance you have to go to physical therapy. 100% chance if the injury requires a surgery. Dealing with physical therapy & physical therapists is worse. Physical therapy doesn’t do anything other than train you to do very basic daily living tasks with minimal discomfort. You won’t achieve any fitness goals in physical therapy.

I highly recommend avoiding physical therapy because it eats up a ton of time & doesn't accomplish much of anything.