Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Thinking of going back to College, need advice.

Travel memoir21

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Speaking of stress, I'm thinking of going back to College....

I'm thinking of majoring in english ( A field I'm passionate about) or computer science (a Field recommended, because it has a lot more earning potential). I asked another forum about this earlier and though it was informative, I'm still making this decision. What are the pros and cons of each field? What field of study do you recommend?

So how is going back to College like these days? Is it that much stressful? Should I go to a community college first to get my associates or a legit local 4 year university?

A little bit about my situation. I'm a disabled Air Force vet, currently earning 100% in pension. So I don't need the money, but it would be nice just to finish my education ya know. Just to show that I did it and possibly make a career out of it to earn more income.

Just wondering thanks.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Computer science is way better to do than English. Only go to college is you are majoring in some STEM major, such as Computer Science.

If you're disabled, is your disability significant enough to prevent you from working in some trade occupation?

STEM and trade occupations are the best ones to pursue.

Travel memoir21

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a diagnosed mental condition and gets exhausted easily by certain tasks so it would have to depend.

I got a lot of opinions and advice about it so far, ranging from follow your passions, to getting a double major or majoring in business management, etc.

I'll make this decision before going back to the US.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
majoring in business management
Business is a bit of a shiit major.

In theory, the major of business gets sold to younger people and potential students as a major with practical utility. The idea goes that you'll be able to get a job more easily after school than an "X Studies" or a Social Sciences/Liberal Arts type major. It's debatable about whether or not that is actually true. It seems logical to think it would be true. The problem is that there are so many business majors out there. The typical BA/BS degree in some business discipline from X State University is not going to stand out on a resume. If you don't have good connections, you won't get the interview despite your degree. Submitting resumes online is the job search equivalency of swiping on an app to get laid or find an extended relationship.

At the master's level (MBA), only bothers getting MBA if it is from a Top 25 school. If you get an MBA and it isn't from a Top 25 school and you don't have a good personal network, you'll going to have a miserable time trying to turn a positive return on effort/investment from doing the MBA.

A 4 year university is best for STEM majors. If you're not planning to major in STEM, pursue trade school or a trade occupation instead.

Business and the Social Sciences/Liberal Arts are generally a waste of time.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only go into college if you get your way paid 100%. The US educational system is broken and rotten.

Majoring in English won't get you anything you can't already learn from books and the internet for free. It also has no earning potential. One of my good friends is an English major and he drives for uber to make money. All liberal arts degrees are worthless, and most liberal arts faculty staff are infested with SJWs.

Don't fall for the trap of needing to go to college. The biggest names in computer science dropped out of college and instead built something. But if you must, I'd only recommend a STEM degree.

Travel memoir21

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to be using The GI Bill so the whole thing is going to be paid off.

I don't need the money, I'm just in it for the college experience and to become a better writer. Plus with the GI Bill, I'm gonna be earning a few thousand dollars off it just by taking classes.

It would be a waste not to use the GI Bill, which is why I'm thinking of atleast taking a few classes.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Speaking of stress, I'm thinking of going back to College....

I'm thinking of majoring in english ( A field I'm passionate about) or computer science (a Field recommended, because it has a lot more earning potential). I asked another forum about this earlier and though it was informative, I'm still making this decision. What are the pros and cons of each field? What field of study do you recommend?

So how is going back to College like these days? Is it that much stressful? Should I go to a community college first to get my associates or a legit local 4 year university?

A little bit about my situation. I'm a disabled Air Force vet, currently earning 100% in pension. So I don't need the money, but it would be nice just to finish my education ya know. Just to show that I did it and possibly make a career out of it to earn more income.

Just wondering thanks.
While I appreciate your passion for English, what exactly would you plan to do with your degree? Why pay for a degree that will cost more than you'll earn in a year for it?

Yes, Computer Science has a huge earning potential but if you aren't passionate about it you likely will find it hard to get very far toward that earning potential. Too many people who love it and are passionate about it to be able to advance if you aren't.

Either way I would highly recommend going to school virtually at a REAL school that offers online classes not only just a school that exists online.

I would find one that is ranked highly for your program AND most importantly charges reduced rates instead of what most schools do and charge out of state rates which make no sense at all.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, Computer Science has a huge earning potential but if you aren't passionate about it you likely will find it hard to get very far toward that earning potential. Too many people who love it and are passionate about it to be able to advance if you aren't.
Couldn't this be said about any field/occupation one chooses?

Travel memoir21

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay I know I said it before….

But I’m really thinking of going back to school. One of the reasons for this to just live the college experience, I’m a disabled Air Force Vet getting a monthly pension so I wouldn’t be doing it for money…though if I use my GI Bill, I’d be getting some money.

A part of me wants to go back and relive what I missed. Things like living in a paid for dorm, finding a group or social network and just plain having fun and attending school spirit events like sports festivities and lectures….plus cute young early 20s gals would also be nice.

The thing is Im undecided about my major. I’d love to major in maybe english, communications, sociology or business. …..but really I don’t know yet what direction I may go.

Should I follow my passions? or should I go major in The Stem Field? or is the approach somewhere in between where you take something you kinda like but also practical.

This is something Ive struggled with in the past which led me to joining The Usaf and going in a long hiatus.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I majored in political science. (Would you like fries with that?)

The one value of a liberal arts degree is that it is easy to make good grades. And that matters when you apply to graduate schools. Law school, for example, cares zero about your major and only your undergrad gpa/lsat score.

Travel memoir21

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I majored in political science. (Would you like fries with that?)

The one value of a liberal arts degree is that it is easy to make good grades. And that matters when you apply to graduate schools. Law school, for example, cares zero about your major and only your undergrad gpa/lsat score.

What did you end up doing with your degree? Was it a positive in your resume?

Both my bro and sister are lawyers. I thought of teaching abroad, something I can use for my english degree if I decide to pursue it.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Don't let schooling get in the way of your education" Mark Twain

Now that said, If you want to become a teacher of English literature, you will have to have a formal education. I'd start with a Community college/Junior college Winter or Summer courses to evaluate if you really want to commit the time to a degree. If you just want to be well read, I think you could be self taught and well rounded with judicious internet research, and discussion forum participation.

But if you want to do something where you are required to have a degree, or a title,, or certificate then by all means go for it.

TheProspect

Reaction score
@Travel memoir21,
You mentioned multiple times that you are passionate about English, that you don't "need the money" (you're not necessarily looking for a economic ROI from the degree), and that you want the "college experience."

It sounds like your best course of action is to get the ball rolling and start applying to universities that you're interested in attending. Apply with the intent of becoming an English major -- you can always switch majors down the line should you change your mind after a year or two.