Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Los Angeles: Overrated or Still PUA Hot Spot??

derringerG

Banned
Reaction score
LA used to be a hotbed of pickup artistry and activity. But that was a long time ago. The peak of pickup activity was in the 2000's and early to mid 2010's, ranging from the publication of "The Game" to the shuttering of RSD's forum.

The industry, or movement, or whatever it was, had legs (until it didnt') and now, nothing but crickets.

So what happened to LA??? I doubt anyone but full time guys could give anything even remotely approaching a comprehensive guide, but we can create a database collectively. It's been years, but I have a bit of intel.

Westside: upper middle class, generically bourgey (sp?), mostly white girls. Large USC contingent who are very cliquey and self conscious about having to drive half an hour out of the hood to enjoy nightlife. A few decent bars along wilshire, but much of the activity is concentrated on the Promenade.

Groups are super clique-ish and the nightlife experience is distinctly generic and mediocre. Might be ok for burning through meaningless sets on a slow thursday night, or if you just happen to live in the area. Similar to Dallas, and thankfully there are much better options. On the plus side: tons and tons of variety in restaurants anything from cheap takeout, decent date night spots, to upscale $$$$.

Hollywood: this is where you get more of the true, big city LA experience. Huge-ish clubs, tons of friggin' awesome dive bars, rock/metal bars, and some surprisingly fun ghetto/ratchet clubs as well. People are much friendlier, with much more diversity racially and economically. If you focus your action here, you'll have a great time but might miss out on the hottest girls.

Sunset Strip: this was the quintessential nightlife/pickup experience. VERY VERY friendly girls, tons and tons of pretty girls and a lot of hot girls in the right spots. Everything was fun. Streets, bars, clubs, you literally could not not have a good time. There wa no way you could visit on a weekend night spend a few hours and not have an absolute blast.

Saddle Ranch and The Standard were the famous spots in the PUA era but hotspots change on sunset unpredictably in very fickle fashion. Near Melrose, there were some non descript looking bars on the outside which were faves of hot actresses or wanna be actresses.

San Fernando Valley, aka The Valley: this is a great place to start your nightlife adventures. The pace is a lot slower, girls are generally pretty friendly and reasonably attractive, but with fewer of the hassles associated with the neighborhoods listed above. Parking is a breeze, minimal traffic and few if any covers. Still a surprisingly large selection mostly of bars. You will definitely have a good time.

The point is, you don't NEED to explore to find something good as is the case in SF, you'll WANT to explore the city, since you're having such a blast. I can see how PUA's might find LA game friendly. The city, in the right neighborhoods, retains it's heritage of a friendly, laid back beach vibe even though it's the 2nd largest metro in the US. Quite a combination.

Also, this is one of the few cities where you'll have little trouble finding a wingman. There are good odds youll find an experienced and very knowledgeable wing who can semi-mentor you. Of course you'll encounter a lot of dorks but that comes with the territory.

Obligatory "negs":

1. the 405 was basically a parking lot during morning and evening "rush hour" which has probably now extended to all hours of the day and night

2. extremely car-centric culture with tons of posers

3. lots of weird, sketchy but rich subcultures, especially persians, on the westside

So what is LA like now, post adam corolla???

Last edited:

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Los Angeles is known for bad male-female ratios. Almost everything about the Los Angeles experience is worse than it was in the 1980s-1990s.

Westside: upper middle class, generically bourgey (sp?), mostly white girls. Large USC contingent who are very cliquey and self conscious about having to drive half an hour out of the hood to enjoy nightlife. A few decent bars along wilshire, but much of the activity is concentrated on the Promenade.

Groups are super clique-ish and the nightlife experience is distinctly generic and mediocre. Might be ok for burning through meaningless sets on a slow thursday night, or if you just happen to live in the area. Similar to Dallas, and thankfully there are much better options. On the plus side: tons and tons of variety in restaurants anything from cheap takeout, decent date night spots, to upscale $$$$.
The pretentiousness of Dallas' most singles dense neighborhoods closer to Downtown Dallas is a copycat of the pretentiousness from Los Angeles' Westside. I'm glad you mentioned Dallas in this.

Santa Monica's "3rd Street Promenade" has a reputation for being a day game spot for street approaching. Most US Sun Belt cities are not designed well for street approaching. The Promenade is one of the few exceptions to that, though certain beaches on the Westside might be just as good of day gaming options as The Promenade.

Tilex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LA always had a fantastic nightlife scene.
The problem with LA is it's so damn expensive to live there that it's not even worth it.
Living in LA = Living in NYC

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LA has the largest concentration of young women dating older men than anyplace else on the planet. But if you are an old dude with no money then you have zero chances with women.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you are an old dude with no money then you have zero chances with women.
That's applicable everywhere, not just Los Angeles. It's probably more applicable in more populated areas.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I spent a year living in Orange County somewhat near the beach. I still remember the time I went to a "hopping" place, and suffered the absolute worst ChadMogging of all time - I don't think any guy except me had brown eyes or was under 6'2" - their chins were at or above my forehead :mad: - and even the chicks were HeightMogging me :(. (They were hot as h3ll, and I think I fapped to a few afterwards.) I also remember going to a place that had a lot of Asian chicks, but I got shot down by every one of them. I learned then & there that me ClubMaxxing was like the Palestinians throwing rocks at the Israeli tanks.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The pretentiousness of Dallas' most singles dense neighborhoods closer to Downtown Dallas is a copycat of the pretentiousness from Los Angeles' Westside. I'm glad you mentioned Dallas in this.
Spending time in both places, I think Dallas chicks have more blonde hair and big breasts (OK, probably fake) than SoCal chicks. I did score a 1NS stand with pretty hot Dallas chick once, so there's that. :rolleyes:

Jesse Pinkman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I spent a year living in Orange County somewhat near the beach. I still remember the time I went to a "hopping" place, and suffered the absolute worst ChadMogging of all time - I don't think any guy except me had brown eyes or was under 6'2" - their chins were at or above my forehead :mad: - and even the chicks were HeightMogging me :(. (They were hot as h3ll, and I think I fapped to a few afterwards.) I also remember going to a place that had a lot of Asian chicks, but I got shot down by every one of them. I learned then & there that me ClubMaxxing was like the Palestinians throwing rocks at the Israeli tanks.
As someone who stayed in LA for a while, I cannot confirm this at all. Not sure where you went in Orange County but the Chad thing is a myth. I'd say the average height in California is much shorter than in a place like Minnesota. Miami toasts LA all day everyday in terms of competition and top tier looking guys. LA guys largely look unkempt and most are built like sissies, there is a reason that a lot of football players come from the south and not to the same extent from So Cal.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In that situation, you're suppose to throw a rock in the glasshouse. You be who none of them are. I would have loved to play in that situation simply cause I would assume all of them are high on their horses, especially the women. So I'd upset their expectations.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In that situation, you're suppose to throw a rock in the glasshouse. You be who none of them are. I would have loved to play in that situation simply cause I would assume all of them are high on their horses, especially the women. So I'd upset their expectations.
Care to give some detail about how you would have played it?

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Care to give some detail about how you would have played it?
I can't give details cause I would have to read the room, but downplay their egos and status. Aka, just act normally like how I do here already. People like that are sold to their egos, so the best way to throw wrench into their mindset is to shock them. It's something you learn in general when you need to break the ice at places you're not familiar with or they are not familiar with you. It requires you to also be prepared to have some of the spotlight on you, but that's the point. I watched guys who did similar things over the years, so that's where I picked it up.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't give details cause I would have to read the room, but downplay their egos and status. Aka, just act normally like how I do here already. People like that are sold to their egos, so the best way to throw wrench into their mindset is to shock them. It's something you learn in general when you need to break the ice at places you're not familiar with or they are not familiar with you. It requires you to also be prepared to have some of the spotlight on you, but that's the point. I watched guys who did similar things over the years, so that's where I picked it up.
You could always give an example of how you did this in the past.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You could always give an example of how you did this in the past.
Generally, you just start talking to people. Say hi or whatever. Make friends. It's very unusual in LA to do that. I see a lot of ass kissing, but little genuine conversations.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Generally, you just start talking to people. Say hi or whatever. Make friends. It's very unusual in LA to do that. I see a lot of ass kissing, but little genuine conversations.
I'm confused as to how just being normal would shock their egos...

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vegas and Nashville are significantly better choices. Probably Austin TX as well.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vegas and Nashville are significantly better choices. Probably Austin TX as well.
Austin is likely the worst mating environment in Texas.

The bar is low on Los Angeles. It's a bad choice.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Better looking women in Austin, though. Aside from the hipsters and homeless. But downtown Dallas in the nice areas resembles it with all the white blondes about.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I tried talking to one chick; she just laughed at me and walked away. :(

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Better looking women in Austin, though. Aside from the hipsters and homeless. But downtown Dallas in the nice areas resembles it with all the white blondes about.
Dallas should be called Platinum City.