Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Workout Books + Advice

Hedge

Don Juan
Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm currently reading through Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and Jason Kelly. I'm finding it quite informative. But am hestitant to try some weight lifting as I'm by my self ( no spotters).

Do you guys have any suggestions as far as weight loss and dieting is concerned? Should I even try to do both weight lifting and cardio (running)? Are there any good books? Looking on Amazon most seem to be some sort of fad diet or some weight lifting model trying to sell his/her name ontop of something else.

Some background I'm 220 pounds right now and hope to drop 40 and keep it off. I've been avoiding buying sugary foods and drinks at the grocery store, limiting my snacks to simple, generally plain chips or cheezits (rarely) and have been making more of an effort to cook and eat more vegetables. I'm also making it a habit to drink more water more often.

I also just purchased an Androidwear / Workout watch (Garmin vivoactive HR)
and I'm finding it to be a really great motivator. I love stats + metrics so the data it gives is awesome. It also has its own GPS so I don't even need my phone to go workout (I have an LG V10 which is ****ing huge and never fits right on the arm bands) and its accuracy seems pretty solid. This watch also reminds me to get up and move around, which I welcome as I work as a server admin ie. in front of a computer 8 hours a day for my job (do have a standing desk tho so that helps).

Would love some suggestions!

U

user43770

Leangains.com

You have to do some work to get all the good info, but it's free and I highly recommend it.

What I ultimately took from it was that it's all about calories. And not just on a daily basis, but a weekly one.

If you start keeping track of what you consume you can mold your body as you want.

Hedge

Don Juan
Reaction score
Leangains.com

If you start keeping track of what you consume you can mold your body as you want.
I'll check it out.
For calorie counting I've got the app MyFitnessPal which links with the Garmin app. I've never really counted calories before so it's interesting to think about. I'm using the barcode scanner to track all of my meals and snacks throughout the day.

U

user43770

That's a good start. At one point, I went so far as to eat the same exact thing every other day...no need for an app when you eat the same things over and over.

@Espi actually played a big role in that; I never would have thought to eat a pound of ground beef with mustard and/or ketchup without him! haha

homie

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are interested in calistenics, best books are "convict conditioning" series and also Al Cavadlo's books, they are awesome.
Check Pavel Tsatsouline on dragon door, good read too.

Hedge

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are interested in calistenics, best books are "convict conditioning" series and also Al Cavadlo's books, they are awesome.
Check Pavel Tsatsouline on dragon door, good read too.
I do want to get into more calistenics. Thanks for the suggestions.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd also suggest rounding it out with some Pilates or yoga class and if you can afford it a Thai massage with or without the happy ending every two weeks. Most guys neglect the stretching which leads to building up muscle tension and injuries and holds back their progress

Hedge

Don Juan
Reaction score
, I have started following a body challenge guide see here which helped me to lose weight. You can also follow such kind of fitness guide for the same.
I can't read French :/

I have found MyFitnessPal (calorie counting) plus regular running and drinking lots of water is already paying off.
I've lost 7 pounds since I started. I feel great!