Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why brown rice over white rice is bullsh*t

AlphaNate

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

I've been eating brown rice for quite some time, and I do not prefer it to white rice. But white rice is bad, right?

Wrong, apparently!

I've been doing some research on this, and white and brown rice are almost identical in every category that matters. Glycemix Index might be the big difference, but that doesn't matter in the real world, unless you have strange eating habits.

I've linked the best article I found on the subject at the top. Consider this my return to white rice as a carb I will eat in moderation. I've heard good things about Basmati white rice, and that's going to be my next carb purchase.

White rice, how I've missed you.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nutritionally, white rice might be better, since it's often fortified with nutrients.

Unfortunately, it digests faster in the body and acts more like a simple sugar than brown. That's the problem. Gives you that quick high rather than slow release energy.

It's more processed, in other words. Lot of bad stuff comes from that. Inflammation is one.

But honestly, if you're not eating gobs of it, who cares. Plus, many bodybuilders use white rice for their glucose source. Johnny Jackson swears by it. Depends on what you're trying to do, IMO.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That article is ridiculous. It's basically saying Glycemic Index is useless because most people eat foods with other foods.

That would be like saying eating a bowl of sugar is A-OK so long as you ate something before.

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a friend who does that starch diet and swears by it. As someone whom is always looking to stay trim, trending more towards the zone diet works well for me.

I'm beginning to think (realize) that everyone's body chemistry is different. People run around touting this "perfect eating strategy" because it works for them but I think we are so different that we all require a differing way of eating in order to maintain health and low body fat.

AlphaNate

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys all make good points.

I'm going to go back to white rice (still haven't eaten rice since this) and see if there are any noticeable effects either way.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think most people have already disproved this one. I eat Asian food frequently. If I stick to the meat and The Vegetables I feel fine. If I count down on a whole lot of white rice I feel quite bloated and lethargic just like I am eaten a lot of white bread

Alexander Thomas

Reaction score
White rice and brown rice both fall into the common category of: RICE.

White rice is brown rice that has had the husk polished off, which removes certain nutrients and fiber, which causes many people to be outraged at the lack of nutrition while sipping their 2nd venti vanilla soy latte.

This lack of nutrition is often compensated for by “enriching” the white rice, by adding nutrients back in. The benefit of the enrichment process is debatable, so I won’t even talk about it.

White rice haters most often comment on two things: the lack of vitamins and minerals, and the fact that it’s a “fast digesting” carbohydrate.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nutritionally, white rice might be better, since it's often fortified with nutrients.

Unfortunately, it digests faster in the body and acts more like a simple sugar than brown. That's the problem. Gives you that quick high rather than slow release energy.

It's more processed, in other words. Lot of bad stuff comes from that. Inflammation is one.

But honestly, if you're not eating gobs of it, who cares. Plus, many bodybuilders use white rice for their glucose source. Johnny Jackson swears by it. Depends on what you're trying to do, IMO.
UNLESS the rice is cooked and then cooled first....then it acts like a complex carb due to heat changing the structure of the rice...same with pasta

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brown rice is going to be better in terms of nutrients and fibre. There are some issues with phytic acid. It's high in the outer layer of the grains. You can decrease phytic acid by soaking in a slightly acidic medium. That's why birger muesli it's a healthier way to get your oats. So add some water and a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to a bowl of brown rice and leave it overnight. You actually enjoy it all them white rice after a while the only issue I have with the stuff is it take so bloody long to cook.

AlphaNate

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback. I simply don't eat enough rice for this to consume my thoughts. White rice tastes way better to me than brown rice, so I'm going to eat it in moderation.

Dietrich

Reaction score
Brown and white ones are the same. I'm telling you as a cook who have dealt with both of the them for 15 years

Milano

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well as far as looks are concerned, bodybuilders eat white rice so it cant be too bad

Masculinity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback. I simply don't eat enough rice for this to consume my thoughts. White rice tastes way better to me than brown rice, so I'm going to eat it in moderation.
Really? I think brown is much tastier.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Really? I think brown is much tastier.
FYI, if we are talking about taste, I'd go for Basmati rice...that is fantastic just eating it plain.

Ericsean

Reaction score
I would like to add that brown rice has a much shorter shelf life than white rice (a highly processed food). When stored in an air tight container, the average shelf life of brown rice is about 6 months. It lasts longer when stored in the refrigerator or freezer. The oil from the bran can cause brown rice to go rancid, but you will be able to smell it if this happens. Even if you were to eat rancid rice (which is unlikely), it will not cause serious harm to your health.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont know man. Most people prefer white rice. Its usually sticky, and they say it tastes better.

Personally I like brown rice better whether it's healthier or not. The texture is just pleasing. I also seem to get full faster.

Like I could eat like 2 cups or more of white rice with just a little duck sauce if I had to. I could not do that with brown rice.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I prefer Jasmine Rice its so delicious, and yes every bodies body chemistry is different, that is a part of the reason most studies related to diet and nutrition is BS!