Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Which Car Should I Get? 2015 Charger or Challenger?

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys help me understand this. So what is really the difference between the V-6 and the V-8? All I'm hearing is about "power", which is basically I'm sitting at a stop light and I rev the engine which makes that aggressive "sound". Then there's the racing down the highway aspect.

- I would never race down the highway, it's dangerous, I don't want a ticket and remember I buy 22 inch chrome tires. You can't race with 22 inch chrome tires on there like that, or at least you wouldn't want to for the most part?

- The sitting at the stop light revving on the engine would be cool, but I'm not sure if I would just be doing that all of the time for the hell of it.

So the only value I would get are those very infrequent revving up the engine moments, in exchange I'm going to be paying $5,000 more for the car itself and the gas costs are going to increase to I would say at least $250 - $400 more a year depending on gas costs I would say.

Am I missing something else here? I had my V-6 Charger and had no issues with it because my main purpose is to style the car out for the LOOK of it.

But what else am I missing? You guys mentioned resale value, I plan on keeping this next car until about 2022 - 2023 then trading it in for something else. Are you saying a V-6 Camaro or V-6 Challenger won't hold their value as a V-8 does? So if I bought a 2013 V-8 Challenger here in 2016, are you saying it's going to hold its value longer or something? What do you mean by higher resale value other than the fact that I paid $5k more for it so thus, I should get a higher resale amount due to the higher price of the vehicle in general?
The sixth generation V8 Camaro will hold value far more over the V6 counter part, why do you think a used one is only $15-$17k?

A used V8 fifth generation Camaro from 2011 goes anywhere from $20-$28k. Meanwhile a 2016 V6 is going for $15-$17k used....

If you're talking about Chevy, the LS3 and the sixth generations(or supercharge-less ZL1) LT4 motors alone will hold a lot of its value. Not to mention how much space is in the bonnet, making it highly sought after for tuners.

The difference between the V6 and a V8 is the fact that you have two extra cylinders, higher displacement, the internals in the V8 are far superior than the V6, obviously the exhaust note, and the ECU is tuned towards performance.

The pros of the SS is the performance and the fact that it holds value well. The cons is cost of gas goes up and if you're stupid you can crash or simply not take care of it.

I would just get the V6 Charger.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
The sixth generation V8 Camaro will hold value far more over the V6 counter part, why do you think a used one is only $15-$17k?

A used V8 fifth generation Camaro from 2011 goes anywhere from $20-$28k. Meanwhile a 2016 V6 is going for $15-$17k used....

If you're talking about Chevy, the LS3 and the sixth generations(or supercharge-less ZL1) LT4 motors alone will hold a lot of its value. Not to mention how much space is in the bonnet, making it highly sought after for tuners.

The difference between the V6 and a V8 is the fact that you have two extra cylinders, higher displacement, the internals in the V8 are far superior than the V6, obviously the exhaust note, and the ECU is tuned towards performance.

The pros of the SS is the performance and the fact that it holds value well. The cons is cost of gas goes up and if you're stupid you can crash or simply not take care of it.

I would just get the V6 Charger.
With the Charger do you recommend the new one? The one that came out in 2015? I was originally looking at that but chicks just are not feeling that car. I know, I know lol, I shouldn't "technically" allow the opinions of women to guide me.....but in this regard I have to depend on the opinion of women as my MAIN goal with my car is "attention" just to be honest.

I'm not doing any racing at all and the only main benefit of the V8 is the "roaring" sound, but I don't want to pay $10k more for that though. Would it hold its value more? Probably, but every car is going to depreciate the moment I drive it off the lot anyway.

When I bought my Charger in 2011, that of course had the V-6 in it and that was $16,500 in purchase price. Then I added my chrome package for about $2,500 more.

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With the Charger do you recommend the new one? The one that came out in 2015? I was originally looking at that but chicks just are not feeling that car. I know, I know lol, I shouldn't "technically" allow the opinions of women to guide me.....but in this regard I have to depend on the opinion of women as my MAIN goal with my car is "attention" just to be honest.

I'm not doing any racing at all and the only main benefit of the V8 is the "roaring" sound, but I don't want to pay $10k more for that though. Would it hold its value more? Probably, but every car is going to depreciate the moment I drive it off the lot anyway.

When I bought my Charger in 2011, that of course had the V-6 in it and that was $16,500 in purchase price. Then I added my chrome package for about $2,500 more.
I'm talking about the latest Charger, yes. And I'm talking about resale value, not lot value.

If you want eyes on your car, V8 with an aftermarket exhaust is the way to go. It's even cheaper with Camaro SS's, just look up cammed Camaro SS on YouTube.

Women love a V8, especially if the sound is something you don't hear everyday. For example, you hear Mustang GT's exhaust going down the street everyday, and it's not even that great but it's loud and gets attention.

You rarely see a Camaro SS with aftermarket cams chopping down the street.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
I'm talking about the latest Charger, yes. And I'm talking about resale value, not lot value.

If you want eyes on your car, V8 with an aftermarket exhaust is the way to go. It's even cheaper with Camaro SS's, just look up cammed Camaro SS on YouTube.

Women love a V8, especially if the sound is something you don't hear everyday. For example, you hear Mustang GT's exhaust going down the street everyday, and it's not even that great but it's loud and gets attention.

You rarely see a Camaro SS with aftermarket cams chopping down the street.
Skyline, I might just get the V8 but I just really don't want to pay more for it upfront and more in insurance/gas.

I've talked to a bunch of women about this, some pick the Camaro and some pick the Challenger, so either the Camaro or the Challenger are good to go. When it comes to V6 or V8, the women usually don't even know what I'm talking about, so to them it might not matter. When I talk to guys, again, some pick the Camaro and some pick the Challenger, but they ALL seem to say put the V8 in it with the 5.7 Hemi engine.

Skyline maybe you can help me figure this out because I'm a little lost here.

- Is it worth it to spend $5k - $7k more upfront for the 5.7 Hemi (V8), as well as 35% more in gas costs and a higher insurance cost over the V6 version? If so, why?

- Would women tell the difference? I'm not really a "car" guy when it comes to performance, I just like the style. So I guess my question is (and this might sound completely stupid), but do you only hear the difference in the V8 and the V6 when you are pressing down on the accelerator? For example, the car is in Park and running, I press down on the gas.....the V6 would sound one way and the V8 sounds another way. The V8 sounds more MEAN/aggressive than the V6?

- I don't race down the road, I will never race down the road because I'm riding with 22 inch chrome on the car. So that "value" point I don't really need.

I've had guys straight out say you would be a PVSSY to get the V6 and not the V8. I'm just lost on this entire thing because I'm getting the thing for style and I'm like, what is wrong with the V6? My Charger (the one that got flooded) had a V6 in it as well! I had no complaints from anybody on that car, all I got was compliments everywhere!

I have a 2014 Red Camaro, with 12k miles on it for $17,200 right now before trade-in that I can go pick up tomorrow. It's got a V-6 in it though. I also have a 2014 Red Camaro with about 30k miles for $22,800 and that's the one with a V-8 engine in it.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Those two engines are 312 vs 400hp. I'd say the time you notice the difference the most would be passing someone on a two lane road, or on a multiple lane highway if you needed to speed up to make a lane change. I've always tried to explain to people that even though motorcycle accidents are bad, motorcycles are actually a lot more maneuverable than a car. They are really good at getting out of someone's way, quick to accelerate and to stop. You can use those traits to make the bike safe, by avoiding accidents, or you can abuse them and make it more dangerous. It's the same with the V8. It can kill you when you punch it going around a corner in wet weather and spins you out into traffic. Or it can save you when you are trying to pass someone, made a poor decision, and now have to go fast or die because there is a truck coming at you head-on. Used responsibly, the V8 is actually a safer car. But insurance companies operate on statistics, and V8 engines attract douche bags and rich teenage kids, both of whom suck at driving.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
BB,

That's a good point. The LS (V6) has 323 HP and the SS (V8) has 426 HP. What is wrong with 323 HP? The thing is that I do not race, at all, I never will. I like driving the car for the style and appearance of it.

But I'm confused as hell when guys are saying I'm a pvssy for getting the V6, I keep hearing statements from guys that say, "I would never get a muscle car without a V8". I've been speaking with guys on other forums, Camaro Forums, in person, and on social media, the guys keep saying the same thing and I'm lost on this.

I'm just confused as hell because I'm just not SEEING where I'm going to need 426 HP. I'm not racing any damn body. When I had my Charger before it got flooded, it had a V6 but it only had 250 HP, I remember being at the light and some guys "taking off" at green, I guess they wanted me to race them?

Here's what's also funny speaking of the Charger. My Charger was a 2010 and a lot of these guys I speak to now about the Camaro V6 ALSO state that I should have got my Charger on the V8 as well. But check this out....the 2010/2011 Charger V8 had 368 HP. That's about the SAME horsepower as the 2014 Camaro V6!

I'm just damn confused. I even had one group of guys say the Camaro V6 is a girl car....I'm just trying to get the straight talk on this.

Last edited:

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I drive lots of rental cars. The engine discussion is for you gear head guys but here's my 2 cents. I hate the Camaro. The windows are too small and you can't see out of it worth a fvck. Your blindspot is bigger than Texas. I also think the seats are too bucketed.

The Charger is OK but I think the Challenger is the best. My two fave rentals of the American sports cars to drive are the Mustangs and the Challengers but I prefer the Challenger. It has a wide wheel base and feels very grounded, smooth and solid when maneuvering or accelerating. It is big enough to actually carry 5 people comfortably, you can see out of it, it handles well, responds well when you get on the gas, it's a nice ride. It's masculine and sexy.

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skyline, I might just get the V8 but I just really don't want to pay more for it upfront and more in insurance/gas.

I've talked to a bunch of women about this, some pick the Camaro and some pick the Challenger, so either the Camaro or the Challenger are good to go. When it comes to V6 or V8, the women usually don't even know what I'm talking about, so to them it might not matter. When I talk to guys, again, some pick the Camaro and some pick the Challenger, but they ALL seem to say put the V8 in it with the 5.7 Hemi engine.

Skyline maybe you can help me figure this out because I'm a little lost here.

- Is it worth it to spend $5k - $7k more upfront for the 5.7 Hemi (V8), as well as 35% more in gas costs and a higher insurance cost over the V6 version? If so, why?

- Would women tell the difference? I'm not really a "car" guy when it comes to performance, I just like the style. So I guess my question is (and this might sound completely stupid), but do you only hear the difference in the V8 and the V6 when you are pressing down on the accelerator? For example, the car is in Park and running, I press down on the gas.....the V6 would sound one way and the V8 sounds another way. The V8 sounds more MEAN/aggressive than the V6?

- I don't race down the road, I will never race down the road because I'm riding with 22 inch chrome on the car. So that "value" point I don't really need.

I've had guys straight out say you would be a PVSSY to get the V6 and not the V8. I'm just lost on this entire thing because I'm getting the thing for style and I'm like, what is wrong with the V6? My Charger (the one that got flooded) had a V6 in it as well! I had no complaints from anybody on that car, all I got was compliments everywhere!

I have a 2014 Red Camaro, with 12k miles on it for $17,200 right now before trade-in that I can go pick up tomorrow. It's got a V-6 in it though. I also have a 2014 Red Camaro with about 30k miles for $22,800 and that's the one with a V-8 engine in it.

The V8 versions will hold value longer than the V6 counter parts. So if you ever want to trade it in, it will either hold value or actually increase. The 08+ 6th gen corvette is a perfect example of an older car holding value.

The exhaust note is definitely more aggressive and deeper in the V8's. I wouldn't say it's loud but it is noticeable. Accelerator response time and interior engine cabin noise is also more noticeable.

The V6 Camaro is more quiet and not well optimized. It's a lot like the R/T Challeneger, they literally just dropped an engine in it and told it to go. You'll notice in the V6 Camaro that the exhaust sounds raspy when you open throttle and the exhaust note in general is awful. It has some power but not a lot. It has 330ish at the crank but that doesn't really matter, the only number you should care about is the horsepower at the wheels(whp). The V6 Camaro outputs less than 260whp- which is slower than my 04 G35 Coupe.

You don't have to race at every stop light. I baby my car, shift at 2k RPMS, don't go above 3k unless idle temped and tires are warm, and even wait a minute before driving on a cold start for my engine to cycle oil. I have friends tell me I drive to slow. You can open throttle down the road in 22" rims, you would just feel a lot of road.

You would have power but that doesn't mean you have to use it all the time.

If you want 0-60 numbers between the V6 and V8 it's about a 2.5 second difference.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Skyline,

Tell you what man, I think I've come to the decision....I think I'm just going to go with the V-6. I have a Red Camaro, 2015 with only 16k miles that I'm going to test drive around tomorrow. I'm going to chrome it out and of course put my 22 inch chrome tires on there.

Here's the thing that I have learned from all of this, including even prior talks I had when I was buying my Charger...not every guy wants the same out of his car.

- Some guys want a lot of performance so they can go racing around or speeding around town. If that's what you want then you should pay for it, which shouldn't even stop at the V8, if this is what I wanted I would go for the 10 cylinder.

- Some guys install extra loud music systems in their car, if that's what you like go for it.

- Some guys want a lot of style, with chrome accessories and large tires on there, mainly just for the overall "look" of the car. This is where I fit in. I don't race, I live in Michigan where there's 4 seasons, and I will NEVER drive faster than the speed limit whenever I'm under that wheel. So the 426 HP would do me no good because I'm never going to use it. The ONLY thing I can think of that I would be missing is the "V-8 sound", but I think the V-6 is going to do just fine.

If I were the type to go racing around, then yes, I would be looking at least at the V-8 or maybe even going for the 10 cylinder because let's face it....if racing is your thing then why are you stopping at the V-8? Get the 10 cylinder.

But racing isn't my thing, so if I were to purchase the V-8 ALL I would be doing is buying more "accessories" on a car that I'm not even going to utilize or get any benefit out of.

I'm going to post pics here once I get it and then get all of my chrome on there. Also another point in relation to this, chicks don't care if it's a V-6 or V-8, all they will know is that I'm driving a "new" (2015 is damn near new) Camaro....chromed out. They all loved my V-6 Charger that was chromed out, and my opinion is that they are going to love the V-6 Camaro as well. I have not talked to a chick yet when asking about a Camaro that said the car (in and of itself, they never talk about a V-6 or V-8) wasn't sexy.

Last edited:

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skyline,

Tell you what man, I think I've come to the decision....I think I'm just going to go with the V-6. I have a Red Camaro, 2015 with only 16k miles that I'm going to test drive around tomorrow. I'm going to chrome it out and of course put my 22 inch chrome tires on there.

Here's the thing that I have learned from all of this, including even prior talks I had when I was buying my Charger...not every guy wants the same out of his car.

- Some guys want a lot of performance so they can go racing around or speeding around town. If that's what you want then you should pay for it, which shouldn't even stop at the V8, if this is what I wanted I would go for the 10 cylinder.

- Some guys install extra loud music systems in their car, if that's what you like go for it.

- Some guys want a lot of style, with chrome accessories and large tires on there, mainly just for the overall "look" of the car. This is where I fit in. I don't race, I live in Michigan where there's 4 seasons, and I will NEVER drive faster than the speed limit whenever I'm under that wheel. So the 426 HP would do me no good because I'm never going to use it. The ONLY thing I can think of that I would be missing is the "V-8 sound", but I think the V-6 is going to do just fine.

If I were the type to go racing around, then yes, I would be looking at least at the V-8 or maybe even going for the 10 cylinder because let's face it....if racing is your thing then why are you stopping at the V-8? Get the 10 cylinder.

But racing isn't my thing, so if I were to purchase the V-8 ALL I would be doing is buying more "accessories" on a car that I'm not even going to utilize or get any benefit out of.

I'm going to post pics here once I get it and then get all of my chrome on there. Also another point in relation to this, chicks don't care if it's a V-6 or V-8, all they will know is that I'm driving a "new" (2015 is damn near new) Camaro....chromed out. They all loved my V-6 Charger that was chromed out, and my opinion is that they are going to love the V-6 Camaro as well. I have not talked to a chick yet when asking about a Camaro that said the car (in and of itself, they never talk about a V-6 or V-8) wasn't sexy.
Go for it dude. You'll get good gas. Just remember that the cabin space across all Camaros is very small. The corvette is even worse by at least it's a cozy cramped space since everything is facing you. Make sure to get the model with a REARVIEW CAMERA. The rear visibility is god awful.

Remember to adjust your side mirrors to your blind spots, there is no use using your side mirrors to see behind you when you have a rear view mirror. A way to know if you're mirrors are in your blind spots is to angle the mirror so you can't see the side of your car when you look at it.

Then test it it at night by sitting at a stop light with someone in your blind spot. You should be blinded by their head lights or if someone is behind you and they shine theirs into your cabin. The light rays should be reflecting off of your side mirrors towards your blind spotd rather than in the cabin.

V8's are more optimal for boost and have a good balance of power to weight. V10's/V12's are usually for NA engines. Most high end Gran Tourers and Supercars run a V8 twin turbo. The only supercar exception is the LaFerrari and Pagani Huayra. Most Lamborghinis and Ferraris run v10's and v12's but they are never boosted. Even the E60 M5 is an NA V10, and its worth about $20k, maintaince costs always skyrockets when you add 2+ cylinders. Maintainaing an E60 M5 is about 4x the cost of your V6 Camaro and they go for about the same price.

As far as buying from a dealership goes, since that Camaro is used you can easily slash off $1k. Just make it seem like you want the car but you are unsure about payments. You can bring up counter arguments, if he proclaims, that the 2011 V8 counterpart goes for the same price and has a V8. The salesman will probably talk about how the V6 gets good gas but just start talking about how great the LS3 motor is, the fact that it holds value better, and the exhaust note. Or just say what I said here about the older V8 models(5th generation). You don't want a 2016(sixth generation) V8 because its obviously more expensive. Most car salesman don't know anything about cars anyways.

Don't tell him that you're interested in the car, make it seem like you want the V8 but they only have a V6 there and you thought that the V6 they had was a V8.

He might try and get F&I to extend the loan period for a lower monthly payment but that is honestly a scam since you're just paying more in interest. Just remind him of how many V6 camaros are on the market, there is A LOT- to the point where there is at least one at any dealership. He might think he won you over because you now have the idea of buying that V6 over the V8 in your head, but no not really. When you have him think that, you won.

If he offers you something you don't like, just bring up the V8 counter part again and how great it is. A good salesman will shuffle back and forth but most will crack at a price you throw at them, especially if you're there negotiating for longer than 2 hours.

Unless the salesman that you're dealing with knows how to read body language VERY WELL, then he won't have the balls to send you to another dealership especially if you're keen on making it seem like you want a car TODAY. The average salesman will get the vibe that he has to convince you to buy that V6, but he won't realize that he's loosing money on the deal by shifting his focus from the money being made by selling the car to you actually being interested in the car.

It's very rare you interact with a top salesman however.

Be sure that they don't actually have a 2009-2012 V8 model there by the way. You can do this by scouting their inventory online before going to the dealership.

Take your time negotiating, they have a timer you do not.

Last edited:

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you pay cash just do a KBB and make sure you pay what that car is worth. Not a dime more. As far as F&I is concerned that is where the dealership makes the most money. Deny any extended warranties. When you get the car let us see pictures.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Guys, just made the purchase today! Paid out of pocket after the trade-in of the Avenger.

Here's early pictures of it before I add my chrome:
http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Tenacity99/slideshow/2015 Chevy Camaro

I'm thinking that I might just add 22 inch chrome rims/tires and add in a chrome grille. That's probably the only chrome I'm going to add in, I was going to add in chrome mirror covers/door handles but I think it's best to leave it how it is.

I'm also getting some detailing done to it as well, just to buff it out a bit.

Last edited:

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
@Tenacity Badass man! Good purchase.

Hopefully I'm not asking something you already answered, but did you get the v6?
Yes, it's the V-6 lol. I didn't get the V-8 because I'm not the type to do any type of racing or speeding, so the extra acceleration/power would not have been used with me for the most part. I'm not even sure when I'm going to use the 330 HP that comes with this car lol.

Sweet, looks great.

Did you pick out rims yet? There's a thread with some great pics here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5215&page=21

These look nice:
http://s938.photobucket.com/user/nitroman30/media/Camaro/IMG_0348.jpg.html
What do you think about these rims here? http://www.carid.com/status-wheels/hurricane-chrome-black-52596511.html

I was going to have my local tire shop order these for me, they also take my off-season tires (winter tires and then spring/summer chrome tires) and put them into storage for me.

The auto detailing is scheduled for Monday, March 21st. They are going to just wax it down and all around for me, etc.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, you don't know what is going to happen to fuel prices tomorrow. Job is not guaranteed. I would say get a sporty 4 cylinder car with a manual transmission. Look for european cars like BMW and Mercedes, and for japanese cars like honda, toyota, nissan. As far as being faster in american 8 cylinder car, that's just numbers. Throw the money you save on fuel into a turbo kit and you will be faster. Also in small car you will feel sportier than in a big car.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks LYD, you sexy she devil ;)

Hey what do you guys think? Here's the Status Chrome Rims on 22's I'm looking at, as well as how it will look on the car. Click on this link here >>> Example

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Guys also I took more pics of the car without the 22 inch chrome rims on today, here's the updated slideshow: http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Tenacity99/slideshow/2015 Chevy Camaro

I'm ordering the 22 inch chrome Status wheels on Monday, they should ship in to my local Discount Tire shop I would think by Friday or so, then they will slap them on for me and put my stock tires in their tire valet storage service as I'm going to use them for my Winter tires.

I think that's all I'm going to do to it though, I'm not going to put any more chrome on there other than the wheels. I think with the look, style, shape, etc. of this car, it's best to not put a lot of chrome as I did with the Charger. So I'm just going to go with the 22 inch Status chrome wheels for now.