Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

weight lifting or martial arts

pyros

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I did martial arts for around 6 years. I really enjoyed it, everytime I had to go I was motivated, I spent time on my own training and practicing; besides, I learned about asian traditions, self defense, discipline, kindness, etc. I also made a few friends that last until today.
That was five years ago.

When I finished college and started to work I swiched martial arts with weight lifting because I wanted to look more muscular and it also fitted my schedule better (you can go anytime to the gym).

The thing is that I've been goin to the gym for several years now and I havent achieved the results I desired; besides, I find it boring as fvck.

So... I have this dilemma:
If I quit going to the gym and start martial arts again I will lose my athletic body (nothing amazing but people notice) but I will be happier, because I do enjoy martial arts but I do not enjoy weight lifting.
However, going to martial arts 3 times per week doesnt always fit my schedule, so I may just have to skip it once or twice a week depending on how many things I have to do that week, but going to the gym always fit my schedule.

I also think that I need to be strong in order to complete martial arts training, because if I learn self defense but I have little strength...it doesnt make much sense.

I cannot do both activities.

Thoughts?

Macaframalama

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I also think that I need to be strong in order to complete martial arts training, because if I learn self defense but I have little strength...it doesnt make much sense.
Self defense and martial arts doesn't have as much to do with strength as it does manipulating leverages. However, you can never be strong enough imo. When you say weightlifting, are you talking about Olympic lifting, the bodybuilding fluff stuff or have you ever even ran a proven strength program?

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you ve preset your parameters. To lift at home u need a simple folding bench some dumbbells and a mat. Y can't u do both.

Self defense and martial arts r two different things. It sounds like u we're doing some gung ho karate. U don't need strength to:

parry a jab with a palm block and use its force to power an eye jab (wing chun)

Round kick the side of a knee ( muay Thai)

Parry and elbow smash their fist when they try a haymaker (Kali or Silat)

And if this sounds like some serious ****. U pull out when cornered in a dark alley by 3 guys damned straight. Anything else is u being a fool.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you aren’t getting the results you want from weightlifting you are not doing it right. If it’s been several years then you likely never will do it right. Go back to martial arts even though it’s all BS in western countries.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it take strength to pull off, it's not a martial arts move. The point of the martial art is that it gives a man with less strength the knowledge to defeat a stronger man.