Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

STD PROFILES & INFORMATION

seloifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
They stopped being called STD's a while ago.....

They were STV(irus)'s for a while, and now I think they're STI(nfection)'s.

Not that this is helpful in any way, but maybe someone appreciates up-to-date terms ;)

chlywly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diseases such as herpes or hpv can be passed through contact with skin/liquid alone... Viruses such as AIDS, are acquired usually only through direct liquid transfer, during sex or using a dirty needle.

If someone who has aids bleeds on you, even if you have an open cut, the likelyness of you getting aids, or of their blood somehow forcing its way into yours, is like 1 out of a million.

MackJr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
herpes question

HSV-1 is very common and 90% of the population has it, even children, because it's passed through towels, kissing, even kitchen utensils.

but what about HSV-2, genital herpes, the nasty one? Someone said that HSV-1 can get on the genitals. Does this make it effectively HSV-2? What's the situation with that?

prosemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: herpes question

Originally posted by MackJr
HSV-1 is very common and 90% of the population has it, even children, because it's passed through towels, kissing, even kitchen utensils.

but what about HSV-2, genital herpes, the nasty one? Someone said that HSV-1 can get on the genitals. Does this make it effectively HSV-2? What's the situation with that?
Check out the links above for your answers. But, I've cut and pasted this from herpes.com:
Theory of Cause: ...Dr. C.N. Look

Herpes simplex viruses include two distinct but closely related viruses, namely, HSV-1 and HSV-2. Both viruses can cause genital herpes. Roughly speaking, HSV-2 causes 90% and HSV-1 causes 10% of all genital herpes. Herpes simplex virus is a linear double-stranded DNA virus. HSV-1 and HSV-2 share approximately 50% homology of their genetic materials and they even express type-common surface antigens. It accounts for the high degree of cross-reactivity and the technical difficulty in differentiating the 2 viruses. On the other hand, HSV-1 & HSV-2 antibodies offer some degree of cross protection. Cell-mediated immune responses is more important than humoral responses in determining the severity of HSV infections. Hence, AIDS patients often have chronic and severe anogenital herpes. Genital herpes is usually transmitted by sexual intercourse. Direct inoculation of virus occurs through contact with infected secretions or mucosal surfaces. Orogenital contact with a partner with type 1 herpes labialis can also result in genital herpes. Asymptomatic shedding of HSV is the most common mode of transmission of genital herpes infection. It is estimated that more than half of the HSV-2 genital infections are asymptomatic. Dr C.N.Look

....The short answer is that each type of herpes remains the same, whether it's contracted orally or genitally. So, hsv-1 (the usual oral type) contracted on the genitals is still hsv-1, but just happens to be on the genitals. It would be called "genital" herpes, however, simply because that is where it would be located in that particular case.

Most "genital" herpes are of the hsv-2 variety, although it is possible to catch or transmit the "usual" oral herpes (hsv-1) mouth to genitals, or genitals to genitals, or genitals to mouth.

That is, either herpe type can be contracted either orally or genitally. It just so happens that in most cases (est. 90%) hsv-1 is found orally, and hsv-2 is found genitally. The break down would be like this:

hsv-1: 90% oral, 10% genital
hsv-2: 90% genital, 10% oral

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ice Cold
Penkitten STFU

Herpes can be transmitted through a towel, through a kiss on the cheek and basically even through a handshake.

this hasnt been proven. check herpes.com, afraidtoask.com, antopia.com and ask your dr.

Check your fukking sourses. because of this about 99.9 of all population have herpes by the age of 10 or 15. I don't remember exactly, but it's about that much. It's just that most of the herpes strains are mostly harmless.
they say that it is one out of four that have it. that is a big population. i dunno where you get the phrase most herpes strains when there arent that many. there are type one and type two.

Mikelo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Check your fukking sourses. because of this about 99.9 of all population have herpes by the age of 10 or 15. I don't remember exactly, but it's about that much. It's just that most of the herpes strains are mostly harmless.
ROFL!!!!!!!!!! Dude, that quote is just jokes :rolleyes: Anyways..... I'm pretty sure these figures are calculated based on the American population, so i'm gonna get the hell off this continent as soon as possible :x

Mikelo2k

Chip

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, herpes a hot topic.
Here are my two cents:

Herpes is a double stranded virus, but there are NO antibiotics for it.
It is a virus, a DNA virus and thus requires the host's nucleus for it's replication.
Antibiotics (antibodies) cannot penetrate through cellular membrane.
A ****-tail of synthetic chemicals are used to combat herpes, by stopping cellular replication of infectied cells and thus death by cell-mediated immune respone (NK cell killing due to lack of MHC-I expression).

There are many strains of Herpes virus, strains 1-9 I believe.
They cause other diseases that are not sexually transmitted such as KSV (AKA kissing virus which can cause B-cell cancer cells, not very common in population)

Herpes virus stains 1 and 2, both infect and reside in our nerves and is thus lives with us forever.
They are found to be in ~90% of the population.
They can only be transmitted from individual to individual through breaks of skin or through the mucous membrane (mouth and genitals).
They are reactivated by unknown factors (stress, PMS, etc.) where they then replicate in neurons, assemble and travel down the neurons to our skin/mucous membranes.
Keep in mind, just because there are no skin lesions, doesn't mean that the virus hasn't reach the mucous membrane.

Bottom line = make sure your girl has no sores or open lesions in or around her mouth.
HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be transferred from oral to gential and vice versa, just like Prosemont said.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So what is the actual likelihood of contracting genital herpes from someone with no visible signs?

And why the f*** haven't they come out with a gel or something you can spread all over the skin not covered by the condom that would kill the virus, or at least significantly decrease the risk of infection?

Jesus H Christ it's the 21st century and the most we got in terms of safe sex technology is still the condom.

I will be dancing in the streets the day the herpes vaccine is released.

Chip

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't know the likelihood of contracting genital herpes from someone with no visible signs?

There is no cure for herpes.
HSV-1 & 2 can change their surface antigens fairly quickly, they look different to us very time you're exposed to it.
Also, they infect nerves. So if ppl really wanted a cure, they'd be numb for life in the regions where herpes infects.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was referring to the vaccine they're currently trial testing. Apparently it has an effect on lowering risk of catching it in females, but not in males. They haven't figured out why yet though.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a question about oral herpies.

Is it true that if you've ever had a cold soar on your mouth that you have oral herpies and it's there for the rest of your life? I used to get cold sores as a kid but havn't had one in years and was just wondering.

Lost Cause

Don Juan
Reaction score

Chip

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dust 2 Dust, if you've ever had a cold sore it's there for life.
It lives in your nerves and come out usually when you're stress and sometimes for unknown reasons.
You could go on for many years without having a cold sore, but it's still there

Sexual

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That **** is depressing to read about, ****s with your head. Use a condom no matter what.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9504789/page/2/
Oct 12, 2005

"...one in five Americans has genital herpes and more than half of women will contract HPV, or human papillomavirus, which causes genital warts and can lead to cervical cancer. At least a million Americans are living with the deadly AIDS virus.

...herpes is being "reconceptualized." While it was once believed that infected people could only transmit the virus when they had visible blisters, doctors now know there is viral shedding even when there are no apparent symptoms — and the virus is actually often spread during these periods. That's a major concern since only one in 10 infected people are aware they have it, says Hook."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9504789/

MackJr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's my question:

Is herpes a big deal? What will happen other than the appearance of warts?

I have no warts or cold sores, and to my knowledge, don't have it. It's just that it's one of the diseases you're told to watch out for in sex ed; However, if 80-90% of the population has it, how could it be that dangerous?

I read somewhere that it was it was overpropagandized to kids abstinent. I'm not sure how true this is, so I'm looking for some information.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's my question:

Is herpes a big deal? What will happen other than the appearance of warts?

I have no warts or cold sores, and to my knowledge, don't have it. It's just that it's one of the diseases you're told to watch out for in sex ed; However, if 80-90% of the population has it, how could it be that dangerous?

I read somewhere that it was it was overpropagandized to kids abstinent. I'm not sure how true this is, so I'm looking for some information.
well yes herpes is a big deal if you have recently caught it, however after a little time you arent really effected that much by it. herpes is not genital warts. they are too different things, however both of them have no cure and basically mean about the same thing.
genital herpes is when you break out in these chicken pox kinda sores every so often and then they go away only to come back another day. genital warts is when you get warts in those areas. they can go away if the dr uses laser surgery, however most the time they come right back and they can later form into cancerous spots inside a womans vagina especially around her cervix.

i belong to every std herpes site i know online and guess what, 99% of members say their partner didnt tell them they had it and their were no signs present. who would just sleep with someone with oozing sores down there anyhow?

and for the love of all you hold sacred, remember to make a note to yourself that yes you can catch it with condom use. you get the first sore like on the top of the pelvic bone or crease of your leg or something like i did.

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
However, if 80-90% of the population has it, how could it be that dangerous?
you also misunderstood this

80-90% is the figure for oral herpes, your common cold sores on your mouth.

only about 18-20% of adult population have genital herpes however, and as far as i understand, its a b!tch. And of course, it is currently untreatable. In general syphilis/gonnorhea are probably worse, but you can kill those with antibiotics. With herpes, you just have it for the rest of your life (or until a cure is found)

You get painful, itchy sores on your genitals, they can reoccur fairly often unless you are lucky, and it really impacts your sex life because you have to worry about spreading it around.

Honestly, herpes worries me the most because the odds of getting it are so much higher that lets say AIDS, and its possible to get even while using a condom. It's a little scary.