Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Recommendations on the BIG Three. Get Educated...

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're going to make the BIG 3 a center piece of your program around which to build strength AND size, I would advise ALL lifters to not only get books on DOING the movements properly, but also take a lesson or 2 from a powerlifter on doing them properly. Find a big guy you're friends with, look someone up in the phone book, inquire through friends, whatever you have to do.

If you're going big, even at a small bodyweight, doing 150-200 for 20 reps WILL hurt, and can potentially cause severe injury. All lifting can do that, but the BIG 3 are more prone to injury because of the FREE nature of the exercise and how even MINOR faults in your lifting technique can lead to MAJOR problems.

I know guys might not be doing them right, and not doing them right leads to SLACK results and possible long-term injury. But don't just take the words of INTERNET posters and videos online. Do yourself right, and get educated in the real world as to HOW to do these strength building properly. There are of course OTHER ways to go about building a great, functional body, such as Russian Kettleball lifting programs, Body Weight Exercises, Martial Arts, and Straight Powerlifting with a coach.

Health and Fitness are LONG-TERM, life long journeys, not something you bang out in 12 weeks and needn't think about again. Since it took many years, possibly decades to create the body you made, it will take sometime to UNMAKE the habits that caused to become, for good or bad, who you are today, too. Changing the body isn't totally difficult, really. It's STICKING to new programs the body isn't accustomed to. If you're used to being inactive, eating out alot, not bring food most places you go, then of course it's tough to switch. But to lose bodyfat in a few weeks doesn't take much beyond the equipment and a few equations, unless you're trying for EXTREMELY %.

So go get educated. Make a point to KNOW your body and respect what you put into it. You don't have to be PERFECT, but certainly KNOW that if you drink all weekend, you'll have to counter that binge with some serious cardio and solid eating in the preceding and coming week helps. If you choose nothing, you've made a choice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Far as multivitamins go...I have only a few points to state...

[1] Are we going to buy the same FDA food pyramid that says CARBS should be a staple of our diet? Many people base what we NEED daily of vitamins on the FDA. Yet when you research HOW they can up with the pyramid, you can clearly see there was no rhyme or reason in doing it that way. Go ahead, check. And if you don't believe, just look at the carts of all the people @ the supermarkets, find out what % of their carriage is TRUE sugar and carbs, and see if you want the BODY they have.

[2] Many foods today, aren't nutrient rich as our parents and grandparents were accustomed to. So if your parents are suggesting you don't need vitamins, ask them if the water we take from the tap or faucet is close to what they had. Most will say no, especially in towns and smaller cities which the changes have occurred most dramatically. In local small towns, the water is noticeably different, and for me in large cities, I notice it too. It's truly sad. If water is laced with good refreshing taste, are we to expect the food industry, which operates on PROFIT first, HEALTH second, to care if the vitamins are there, or maybe just that they can produce the MOST food that LASTS THE LONGEST (preservatives) ?

[3] Most diets will be devoid of nutrients in some capacity. If you're on low carbs (25% or so or less), you're likely to NOT get something. Yes, if mow on a whole container of some random vitamin, you might become toxic. However, it would take significant quantities, given how UNHEALTHY the diets have become. Downing 2 multivitamins, though it could be overkill depending on the person, isn't going to throw your body out of whack, since most food doesn't have what it used to have.

[4] I recall people used to eat LIVER. That was a big staple of my parents diet. They hated it, but it was chock full of vitamins. Old school bodybuilders USED to use liver pills. They've fallen out of popularity in favor of roids and creatine, although without the proper vitamins, roids and creatine won't work anyways.

But then again, it is your body and your life, and you should figure out what's best for you with your own brain.

A-Unit

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Liver!! :eek:

My mom would make that at least once every couple of months and it was a struggle!

I'm older now and my tastes have changed. Think I'll find myself a good recipe and go at it! Are there any good recipes?? I envision a good liver recipe as one that drowns the meat in other liquids/spices, thus masking its horrible flavor and texture! LOL

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
i like that list, especially the stuff in bold if you scroll down.

though I don't play with niacin (my hdl/ldl ratio is fine...for now) I know folks who've had a lot of luck with it, but mostly over 40 (as someone else in the thread suggests).

and it's more enjoyable to drink green tea & eat oily fish IMO than to take the supplements, but I've started adding those, too, to make up the difference between recommended doses and my ability to fit them into my daily habits.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not sure quite where you're going with your multivitamin thoughts, A-unit, but I'd like to clarify a few points.

- It's the USDA that sets RDA values, not the FDA.

- The process that created the food pyramid is highly politicized & its recommendations are therefore worse than useless. But RDAs are separate. There are no RDAs for carbs & total fat, and most experienced lifters agree that the RDA for protein is orders of magnitude too small for guys who lift hard and heavy. But RDAs are otherwise less politicized than the food pyramid.

- So I see no reason to suspect that most RDAs are out of whack. A multivitamin that covers 100% of the RDA for most nutrients should generally cover most of your bases, especially if you're pushing your carb intake towards leafy green veggies & fibrous whole grains.

All of that aside, I think your most important point is earlier: the whole key here is commitment to doing something (at some level, anything) positive with your diet & exercise habits.

There's a lot of good advice floating around these boards for those habits. But to paraphrase Smokey the Bear, only YOU can prevent your body for turning into a flabby, useless waste of oxygen. If you can't motivate yourself to clean up your act, none of us on an anonymous internet message board can.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does the A-man need an A-men from me? He gets one anyway.

AMEN!

also: liver tabs are great. I wish I could get them in the UK cheaply enough.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

FDA, RDA, It's all the same in my dyslexic, rarely-ever proof-reading mind, but thank you for pointing that out.

Regarding motivation...you can't motivate anyone. If you motivate an idiot, you've still got a motivated Idiot, like a chimp with a gun or a car.

But for those who are lurking or are doing it, new information helps.

Here's something I found searching IA's boards though, and it puzzled me....IN an article he wrote on how fat addition and subtraction works, he stated that 5-6 meals daily makes you fat b/c the presence of insulin prevent lipolysis. Makes sense, with my limited understanding of hormones and fat and insulin. However, he's never finished Part II, to my knowledge. Does any other guys who frequent his boards or have read up, understand what he was referring to and why? I can see that making sense, and diets like the Warrior Diet somewhat hint at what IA was writing, but I know there's more to what he was saying.

A-Unit