Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Question about Leasing Property

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quick question to the people that may have knowledge in the situation.

I used to rent a house two years ago and when my girlfriend at the time moved out (we broke up) I simply just left the house as well and let the rental people knew about it. They wanted something like 4 months rent (6k) and I didn't want to pay it so I just gave them a 20 day warning saying that I'm out.

Fast forward they send me something in the mail saying I owe them money and then they finally take me to collections and say I owe 5k.

Now (16 months later), I'm trying to rent another apartment now in Atlanta and I'm thinking this may get in the way. Is there any ways around this? I tried calling the collection agency and telling them I would pay 2k but they said no. My credit score is still over 700 though.

It's been great not paying rent for 16 months straight because I've been traveling but I plan on spending quite some time in Atlanta working now so I need my own cribbo.

Any advice?

Last edited:

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get in a new place asap!
Doesn't seem like you were reported to the credit bureau yet. If you get a judgement against you, and don't pay, that's when they will probably attach it to your credit.
You are responsible for it. Offer to pay $100 till its paid off

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe I was reported to the Credit Bureau. My ex girlfriend (who somehow is my now girlfriend smh) told me it was on her credit report. So I'm assuming it is on mine.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Read your signed rental contract more closely next time. sazc is right, if it gets to your credit report first it will have an impact on a future rental. It may not affect your rating that much, but there will definitely be a black mark on it. If they take you, it will probably be a much higher deposit.
If you both signed, you probably both got burned on it.

Last edited:

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I signed up for my banks Credit check system and my credit is in the mid 700's. I'm trying to look at more details to see if that lease history is on my report but unsure on finding it.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Some landlords may not report a lease payment history to a bureau. The important thing is if you have an active collection for non payment of a prior lease at a bureau. Mid 700 is between good and excellent rating so that's sufficient rate wise for a new lease. Look for an open collection account on the report. That is the determining factor for approval and deposit amount. It varies per landlord on what they will accept.

Last edited:

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
Landlords don't look at credit report, they look at your face. Try another house or apartment. If you terminate contract early, you are responsible to pay a fine for early termination. If you don't agree, small claims court. I think judge will split amount you own in half between you and your ex. The fact that you are with that girl now will hurt you.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Landlords don't look at credit report, they look at your face.
Wrong. One of my Exes was an apartment manager. At the very least they will access your credit rating. If they need to they can dig deeper. They want to see how well you pay your bills before leasing to you. It's good business.

Last edited:

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quick question to the people that may have knowledge in the situation.

I used to rent a house two years ago and when my girlfriend at the time moved out (we broke up) I simply just left the house as well and let the rental people knew about it. They wanted something like 4 months rent (6k) and I didn't want to pay it so I just gave them a 20 day warning saying that I'm out.

Fast forward they send me something in the mail saying I owe them money and then they finally take me to collections and say I owe 5k.

Now (16 months later), I'm trying to rent another apartment now in Atlanta and I'm thinking this may get in the way. Is there any ways around this? I tried calling the collection agency and telling them I would pay 2k but they said no. My credit score is still over 700 though.

It's been great not paying rent for 16 months straight because I've been traveling but I plan on spending quite some time in Atlanta working now so I need my own cribbo.

Any advice?
Forgive me for judging you here.....but.....you sign a lease to pay rent for a certain period of time, then you don't pay it, now you're pissed off about it?

Sounds to me like you are trying to weasel out of something you owe. That's what a bum does. Pay what you owe, pal. Read your lease. If you don't you deserve everything you get.

This is elementary crap. Where do some of you come up with this stuff?

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
**** happens.... My credit score is still mid 700s. So it is what it is. I'm not paying 5k for the house especially since they probably had someone move in the month after. I'd settle for 2k but the collection people weren't having that.

I'm also assuming your credit score is in the 800s.

dustmuffin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Landlords don't look at credit report, they look at your face. Try another house or apartment. If you terminate contract early, you are responsible to pay a fine for early termination. If you don't agree, small claims court. I think judge will split amount you own in half between you and your ex. The fact that you are with that girl now will hurt you.

I'm a landlord. I look at the credit report and proof of income.

dustmuffin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
**** happens.... My credit score is still mid 700s. So it is what it is. I'm not paying 5k for the house especially since they probably had someone move in the month after. I'd settle for 2k but the collection people weren't having that.

Ok..do this if it is on your credit report. Call them and ask how much you owe. When they tell you say that sounds high, you don't want to go to court and how much would they take to settle it. Tell them you will think about it. Be Sure To Record THE call. Check your credit report again. You disputed their charge they must list that on the credit report. If it isn't then you have a good chance of paying nothing in addition to no attorney fee. Call an attorney that specializes in defending debt collection for a consultation.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I don't care about your credit score. Committing to do something and not doing it is the mark of a non-dependable bum. You owe money, pay it. You still don't even know how much you owe, no wonder you're in this situation.

You obsessing over your credit score shows how clueless you really are.

What's with all this 'probably' stuff? Why can't you figure out the facts?

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2 years ago OP was 24. That's not exactly the most responsible age.
I have rental homes and I absolutely check credit scores.

Someone else brought up a really good point. If you are being taken to court it would behoove you to get the rental records for that apartment/house, around that time period.
It would also behoove you to research what the rental laws are in your state - if someone moved in a month after you, are you responsible for lost rent? probably not. find out, you can google it. You also need to get a copy of your signed lease (ask for it) and see what it says in terms of what you are responsible if you terminate the lease early.

If they are going to take you to court for non payment, they will need to furnish you this documentation so you can prepare your defense.
If there is an arbitration/mediaton clause in the signed lease, let them know you would like to take advantage of that.
The next time you speak with anyone regarding payment of this situation, ask for the paperwork and/or inform them that you are waiting on the paperwork and will review and get back to them as soon as you can. Dont admit to anything, but it is okay to say that you definitely intend to resolve the matter.

If they are difficult about getting the documentation to you and adamant about making you pay $6k, you may want to consult an attorney in your area. I'm hard pressed they would be entitled to be unjustly enriched by having you pay rent for an apartment that has already been rented. And they most likely have a duty to mitigate their damages by actively looking for a renter.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
they would be entitled to be unjustly enriched by having you pay rent for an apartment that has already been rented. And they most likely have a duty to mitigate their damages by actively looking for a renter.

Absolutely - both good points.

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That said, they may be able to come after you for advertising fees - but those are going to be a fraction of what your rent probably was.

It's probably a good idea for you to let the collections agency (or whomever is calling) know that you are actively disputing this charge. As part of the fair credit reporting act, if you are put into collections, they have to indicate that you are disputing the amount, which shows to anyone looking at your credit records.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They haven't said anything about taking me to court. The reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm looking to rent again and want to be able to rent an apartment within the next two months depending on my next work contract.

Speed dawg, you are correct in I need to find the concrete numbers. I will do more research tomorrow and make sure to write it down this time. I wouldn't say I'm a bum but I would say I'm someone who was mad and went off emotions by leaving because my significant other at the time left and moved for a different state. I figured I'd move out and save money since I was traveling and having hospitals pay for my hotels and apartments.

The reason I bring up credit score is because credit score is a good representative of the trust worthiness of someone to pay their debts. Mine proving that I'll be trustworthy.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you broke your lease they can go to court to sue you for the remainder of the lease.

Obviously you didn't show up at court to dispute things so they got a default judgement.

If you go to buy a house or car in the next 7 years that line item will concern lenders. Even with a good score they want to see if you take your obligations seriously. That's why all lenders ask about bankruptcy and foreclosure.

Both indicate a willingness to walk on an obligation. Not a good reflection on you regardless of score. You make plenty of money. Just pay it and drive on. It could screw up your borrowing ability and your ability to lease property. Why mess up your credit records for 7 years over a punk move? It's your life obviously, but it could have adverse consequences for years. Up to you.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Disagree life changes. The landlord can increase the rent or sell up the house from under you so it's not just one sided. The normal go is you have to pay the rent until they get it rented and the advertising costs. That is fair and if you try and run out on that yes you are a deadbeat.