Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Need help recovering data on HDD

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have an 8TB internal HDD that I used to store movies/shows. I was in the process of making it a shared network drive, and then Windows completely froze and I was forced to shut down. Upon restarting, the drive was so screwed up I couldn't even boot (even though it wasn't a boot drive) which makes no sense to me. So, I disconnected the drive and have it hooked up with a SATA-USB cable. The drive isn't recognized in BIOS at all, but when I boot into Windows, the drive letter is still detected (G). Even more strangely, when I try to select the the G: drive in recovery software (Recuva) it says "please insert disk into drive" - WHAT?

At this point I'm at a loss. I can't even use chkdsk because it says "cannot open volume for direct access". I'm assuming the data is still on the drive but I have no idea how to recover it.

HDD.png

ext hdd.png

cmd.png

Last edited:

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I nuked a thumb drive once and got all the data back.

I remember I had to buy some software to do it and the data was transferred, but the original drive was still bricked.

You can probably recover it but it might cost you something.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I nuked a thumb drive once and got all the data back.

I remember I had to buy some software to do it and the data was transferred, but the original drive was still bricked.

You can probably recover it but it might cost you something.
What software did you use? I can just pirate it.

Last edited:

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What software did you use? I can just pirate it.
Don't remember. Was a long time ago, but I found it after doing some searching.

Wasn't from a big company. I got the impression it was from a small time programmer selling stuff on his own.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've tried 4 data recovery programs and the drive isn't detected at all (paragon, recuva, disk drill, R-Studio...)

Might need to repair the drive with CMD but I'm a bit wary of any kind of reformat...

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it a traditional magnetic disk hard drive or Solid State?

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Magnetic disk, fortunately

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Magnetic disk, fortunately
I'd take it to a professional to get the data retrieved if you can't figure it out yourself, there is a good chance they can recover it. Assuming the data is worth that much to you.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd take it to a professional to get the data retrieved if you can't figure it out yourself, there is a good chance they can recover it. Assuming the data is worth that much to you.
8TB worth of shows and movies + downloaded YT/audio that no longer exist. Hell, I had the entire collection of all of Alan Watts lectures, like 100+ hrs. So yea, I'd pay $$ for it. I don't quite know what they would do that I cannot though, given that it's not a hardware issue.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have an 8TB internal HDD that I used to store movies/shows. I was in the process of making it a shared network drive, and then Windows completely froze and I was forced to shut down. Upon restarting, the drive was so screwed up I couldn't even boot (even though it wasn't a boot drive) which makes no sense to me. So, I disconnected the drive and have it hooked up with a SATA-USB cable. The drive isn't recognized in BIOS at all, but when I boot into Windows, the drive letter is still detected (G). Even more strangely, when I try to select the the G: drive in recovery software (Recuva) it says "please insert disk into drive" - WHAT?

At this point I'm at a loss. I can't even use chkdsk because it says "cannot open volume for direct access". I'm assuming the data is still on the drive but I have no idea how to recover it.

View attachment 12419

View attachment 12420

View attachment 12421
Your last hope might be SpinRite (I used it myself and it does work. It has saved my skinny butt a few times), but its long slow process to restore the drive. I can take hours even days to finish the recovery:

Here is video about it.

You can read more also on wiki:

Last edited: