Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Mom passed away. Where should I move to that's younger for singles?

I_have_BDE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I thought Florida was supposed to be this warm low cost of living paradise? What is happening?
Last 25 or so years cost have gone up a lot. Mostly service based economy and home and auto insurance thru the roof now.

Texas has good paying jobs better demographics too. Cheap areas of fl are north fl hick areas.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I thought Florida was supposed to be this warm low cost of living paradise? What is happening?
Florida is a great place to visit but a trash place to live.
Last 25 or so years cost have gone up a lot. Mostly service based economy and home and auto insurance thru the roof now.
I think there's some similarity between what's happening in Florida and what's happening in Arizona. There are some key differences between Florida and Arizona though.

One of the primary reasons of recent decades to move to Phoenix or Tucson no longer applies. From the mid-1990s to mid to late 2010s, Phoenix and Tucson (more so Phoenix) were flooded by West Coasters (primarily Californians) and Chicagoans looking to escape higher cost areas. Rents and home prices in Metro Phoenix and Tucson were affordable. Both Phoenix and Tucson are no longer as affordable on housing costs and overall costs of living as compared to 15-20 years ago.

The same thing is happening in Florida, except Florida generally attracts people from the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic states.

There is not a good base of corporate employment in Metro Phoenix. I've heard similar things about Metro Miami. Few top companies have their headquarters in Metro Phoenix, so a lot of the general business jobs are lackluster. If your job is in the medical industry, Phoenix has a decent employment base. The medical industry has always done quite well in Phoenix due to the fact that the area is a hub for retirees needing medical services. I'm not sure how Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Tampa compare to Phoenix in this regard, but I think there's some degree of similarity.

I do think both the populated areas of Florida and Arizona are better for vacations or retirements than living there full time.

@I_have_BDE has lived in Naples/Fort Myers, a retirement area further from the action of Florida. There are retirement areas in Metro Phoenix like Sun City, Sun City West, Surprise, and Goodyear in the West Valley. If someone younger were living near the retirees in the West Valley of Phoenix, they would only have to move 20-35 miles to be near Central Phoenix, Tempe, or the parts of Scottsdale where age appropriate people live. In Florida, @I_have_BDE has to move further to Tampa, Orlando, or Miami/Fort Lauderdale to find age appropriate people.

itouchyou

Don Juan
Reaction score
260k would not even get you a house in good part of Houston. The minimum here is around 700k for a small house with a yard or 400-500k for one of those crammed tin can townhomes without a yard and limited parking.
I'm confused. I'm looking in the Sugarland area and there's plenty of nice homes between $300-500k.

What are the good parts of Houston?

CornbreadFed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm confused. I'm looking in the Sugarland area and there's plenty of nice homes between $300-500k.

What are the good parts of Houston?
If you don't mind living in the boomies/Rooftop Korean Suburbs than Sugarland is fine. If you don't want to commute a hour plus to houston and back or have a modestly attractive house with windows then that's where the home prices start to increase.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you don't mind living in the boomies/Rooftop Korean Suburbs than Sugarland is fine. If you don't want to commute a hour plus to houston and back or have a modestly attractive house with windows then that's where the home prices start to increase.
There's some similarity to this description with some areas of Dallas, mainly areas south and east of Downtown Dallas. Areas that would be described similarly would be Mesquite, Forney, Duncanville, and DeSoto.

North of Dallas, there's Garland, an older, inner ring suburb with a large non-White population including a Korean/Vietnamese presence. Garland was close to 90% White in 1980 and is only about 25% White now.

Garland is not much of a scene in the Dallas area.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Paranoid much Corn?

@itouchyou The Montrose/Galleria west of DT is supposedly a good part, younger and hip.

Texas has good paying jobs better demographics too. Cheap areas of fl are north fl hick areas.
Don't mention the word "roof", you'll trigger Corn.

I_have_BDE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's some similarity to this description with some areas of Dallas, mainly areas south and east of Downtown Dallas. Areas that would be described similarly would be Mesquite, Forney, Duncanville, and DeSoto.

North of Dallas, there's Garland, an older, inner ring suburb with a large non-White population including a Korean/Vietnamese presence. Garland was close to 90% White in 1980 and is only about 25% White now.

Sounds like north stl county. Was once very white then the auto plants closed.

CornbreadFed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Sugarland is a pretty Indian & Asian dominant suburb. Nearby Pearland is discount version of Sugarland. I would go anywhere within an inch of Southeast Houston period.

Paranoid much Corn?

@itouchyou The Montrose/Galleria west of DT is supposedly a good part, younger and hip.
That area is completely outside OP's price range

I_have_BDE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think there's some similarity between what's happening in Florida and what's happening in Arizona. There are some key differences between Florida and Arizona though.

One of the primary reasons of recent decades to move to Phoenix or Tucson no longer applies. From the mid-1990s to mid to late 2010s, Phoenix and Tucson (more so Phoenix) were flooded by West Coasters (primarily Californians) and Chicagoans looking to escape higher cost areas. Rents and home prices in Metro Phoenix and Tucson were affordable. Both Phoenix and Tucson are no longer as affordable on housing costs and overall costs of living as compared to 15-20 years ago.

The same thing is happening in Florida, except Florida generally attracts people from the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic states.

There is not a good base of corporate employment in Metro Phoenix. I've heard similar things about Metro Miami. Few top companies have their headquarters in Metro Phoenix, so a lot of the general business jobs are lackluster. If your job is in the medical industry, Phoenix has a decent employment base. The medical industry has always done quite well in Phoenix due to the fact that the area is a hub for retirees needing medical services. I'm not sure how Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Tampa compare to Phoenix in this regard, but I think there's some degree of similarity.

I do think both the populated areas of Florida and Arizona are better for vacations or retirements than living there full time.

@I_have_BDE has lived in Naples/Fort Myers, a retirement area further from the action of Florida. There are retirement areas in Metro Phoenix like Sun City, Sun City West, Surprise, and Goodyear in the West Valley. If someone younger were living near the retirees in the West Valley of Phoenix, they would only have to move 20-35 miles to be near Central Phoenix, Tempe, or the parts of Scottsdale where age appropriate people live. In Florida, @I_have_BDE has to move further to Tampa, Orlando, or Miami/Fort Lauderdale to find age appropriate people.
Tampa is overpriced and WAY too congested. I have some family in Trinity area of Pasco County which is in the metro area and I HATE driving in that area. Got way too big. I was looking at Hernando County like Spring Hill area. Lots of new construction in the 250 to 270k range 3 bedroom houses. Pasco County borders it and a bit younger so it's a close drive. Tampa only about 45 miles to the south.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sugarland is a pretty Indian & Asian dominant suburb. Nearby Pearland is discount version of Sugarland. I would go anywhere within an inch of Southeast Houston period.
In Dallas County, the roughest equivalent to this is Irving, which is 22% Asian (mainly Indian). However, Irving's largest demographic group is Hispanic. Irving is 42% Hispanic. Irving might be a cross between Sugarland and Pearland. The southern half of Irving (the less affluent part) is mainly Hispanic. The northern half of Irving is more affluent and that's where the ~20% White and ~20% Asian population lives.

On the Dallas Scene thread, I've rarely ever mentioned Irving because there isn't much of a reason to mention it. There isn't much of a scene in Irving.

Tampa is overpriced and WAY too congested. I have some family in Trinity area of Pasco County which is in the metro area and I HATE driving in that area. Got way too big. I was looking at Hernando County like Spring Hill area. Lots of new construction in the 250 to 270k range 3 bedroom houses. Pasco County borders it and a bit younger so it's a close drive. Tampa only about 45 miles to the south.
Most of the mating opportunities that exist for a 40 year old childless man are in bigger cities that tend to be "overpriced and way too congested" by your definition.

You won't get laid in smaller places even if your game is on point simply due to a lack of options.

You are also going to need to fix some personal deficiencies to be competitive in larger cities.

logicallefty

Reaction score
I live just South of Jacksonville, FL. Around here the rent is high, but a lot of other things are not. It is not all that crowded here. plenty of rural areas to go fishing and get away from people 100%. it sounds like you want to leave Florida but if you wanted to stay in Florida, I think you would like NE a lot better than the SW. A lot of people here that can’t afford their own place are shacking up and renting a room. So you might have a four bedroom house with four different roommates. I am fortunate that I don’t have to do that, but if I had to I would.

I_have_BDE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I live just South of Jacksonville, FL. Around here the rent is high, but a lot of other things are not. It is not all that crowded here. plenty of rural areas to go fishing and get away from people 100%. it sounds like you want to leave Florida but if you wanted to stay in Florida, I think you would like NE a lot better than the SW. A lot of people here that can’t afford their own place are shacking up and renting a room. So you might have a four bedroom house with four different roommates. I am fortunate that I don’t have to do that, but if I had to I would.
Jacksonville area housing prices falling and inventory is shooting up. Videos on YouTube about the fl housing market. But if there is a near crash it's going to start in southwest fl. Inventory has exploded in lee, charlotte, collier, and sarasota counties. North Port, Cape Coral and Charlotte Co especially. Cape Coral has a glut of price slashing too. Imo due to hurricane Ian. Insurance rates, hoa, repair cost many peoole selling second homes or moving a bit north for cheaper cost. City of Sarasota is going strong but the southern part of the county is getting hit hard with inventory.

Also rent is fslling too here. Landlords can't find renters now.

JackTripper

Banned
Reaction score
Pick from LA or NY, or consider an exciting big city in a different country. Try something totally new to you.

moving to Texas sounds kinda drab just the same as your town in Florida. If you are young and have money in your pocket then reach higher.

Like Montreal, Madrid, Istanbul, Athens, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Manilla, Tokyo