Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Let's Talk Stocks Again

logicallefty

Reaction score
We have had stock threads before and with various subtopics of stocks therein, but it's been a while. I'm really getting into it as of late.

I started dabling in day trading penny stocks a couple years ago. With the PDT rules and the fact that I am always at work when the markets are open, that got to be too much. I still day trade but only on the really really good looking picks that i am very chosey about.

Lately I have been doing swing trading which is basically your middle ground between day trading (enter/exit the same day) and long term investing (keep positions months, years, or decades). With swing trading you enter on short term downtrends during longer term up trends, and keep positions anywhere from 2 x days to a few weeks or a couple months at very most. Most of my trades are 2 - 10 days and no more. This way I avoid PDT rules and don't have to sit in front of a computer religiously throughout the day when markets are open. I can review charts in the evenings, enter when the market opens at 9:30am Eastern Time, and get on with my regular job. It's similar to day trading but it moves at a pace that can be better managed and controlled.

Who else is actively trading stocks on a weekly basis?

What kind of trading are you doing?

Anyone else doing swing trading? Or even day trading?

CamCam

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to trade on a more frequent basis, but haven't for quite some time. A lot of good day traders say they were pushed out by algo trading/high frequency

Not sure if that's right or not.

I'm going heavy into junior miners. The way I figure is, that we've had a massive debt expansion since 2008, commodities were left behind, and inflation is due to pick up. My positions do nothing until **** hits the fan, but then (if history repeats itself) they go balistic

What sort of stocks are you into?

Poonstra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm into vice stocks, alcohol, tobacco, gambling and as of late Canadian weed stocks. Mostly as a dividend investor, alto I have the later for it's growth potential.

logicallefty

Reaction score
My favorites are pharmaceuticals priced $2-10. I like these because news re the various phases they go through with their drugs like FDA approval, authorization to sell a drug in a certain country, positive testing results, etc. often triggers a good catalyst and rapid movement.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm into vice stocks, alcohol, tobacco, gambling and as of late Canadian weed stocks. Mostly as a dividend investor, alto I have the later for it's growth potential.
I just initiated a pilot position on UVV which was showing a nice set up backed by decent fundamentals. I am still working on developing my system, so I am keeping it small.

As for my older positions, I am long energy and short tesla. I have a nice portion in cash as well. As I get more into this ( I work full time too) I can periodically update what I do.

Which is your favorite approach to trading? Which have worked best?

Poonstra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Being a dividend investor idea is to buy, hold for decades and leech dividends which I reinvest. So I don't really consider myself a trader, I don't have the time to follow the markets on a day to day basis. For that reason my main indicators are the p/e ratio and it's dividend yield. I bought the some Canadian weed because I predict a change in sentiment towards marijuana at least in the west, as more and more countries are looking into legalizing it's medicinal and recreational use. These companies are in the front line and I see massive potential over the next 1-2 decades. But I could also be wrong.

logicallefty

Reaction score
I'm still trying to find my place in the markets. Find one or maybe two good strategies that are repeatable. As I said in my OP swing trading using technical analysis seems to fit me better than long term fundamental investing or Wild West day trading. But even with that, some days I just feel like the market hates my guts. I have studied stocks for a couple weeks and watched stocks that have been on uptrends for 6 x months. Then as soon as I enter a position the 6 x month uptrends reverses and starts tanking. I know there are ways to make money at this. But I still need to find my nitch that I can repeat because repetition is key.

Poonstra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
But I still need to find my nitch that I can repeat because repetition is key.
I agree, if you can't reproduce all you've got is a lucky shot at best.

As I said in my OP swing trading using technical analysis seems to fit me better
We all have our preferences and all our circumstances are different, witch give us different opportunities. Threats like this give us an opportunity to exchange ideas.

some days I just feel like the market hates my guts.
I hear you man, grinding through downturns and holding while every fiber in your body screams sell literally takes balls of steel.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you really want to make money from this, then you have to dedicate your life to it, but I gotta say you have more chance of winning the power ball than becoming a consistently successful swing trader.. I used to be a stockbroker and I never met one consistent trader. They all liked to act like they were the real deal, but soon as you asked to see their P and L, they would make excuses and disappear back behind their desks. This represents 99% of the industry. If you wanna make some money, don't trade stocks, however if this is just a side hobby and some fun you are willing to spend a bit of cash on then no harm.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm definitely no expert but I'd say its easy enough to make money swing trading in a rising market. I buy shares that r volatile and just buy them cheap and unload them for small profit. I've only just started and it could all go horribly wrong but so far I'm 3 fort 3.

I'm also looking for that big win a solid company has some negative news that will take it down temporarily eg like the Volkswagen recall a couple of years ago. In other words a short-term dip from it's long-term trading average. That is the time to bet the farm

So @switch7 have you got any tips for the lads on how to increase the profit or decrease the risk? Or if it's not Shiraz what can you do to make side money that is accessible to everyone? I mean yes some people start a business but that takes a business idea and time and money and getting backing so that is not the same as playing with shares.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm definitely no expert but I'd say its easy enough to make money swing trading in a rising market. I buy shares that r volatile and just buy them cheap and unload them for small profit. I've only just started and it could all go horribly wrong but so far I'm 3 fort 3.

I'm also looking for that big win a solid company has some negative news that will take it down temporarily eg like the Volkswagen recall a couple of years ago. In other words a short-term dip from it's long-term trading average. That is the time to bet the farm

So @switch7 have you got any tips for the lads on how to increase the profit or decrease the risk? Or if it's not Shiraz what can you do to make side money that is accessible to everyone? I mean yes some people start a business but that takes a business idea and time and money and getting backing so that is not the same as playing with shares.
I can give you trading advice but I can't give you investing advice.. which one is it that you are doing? If you are buying physical stocks that are near their floor value then that's buy and hold investing and isn't something I know too much about.. However if you are buying or selling well established, highly liquid derivatives on margin, then that's proper swing trading and I can offer you advice in that department.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm still trying to find my place in the markets. Find one or maybe two good strategies that are repeatable. As I said in my OP swing trading using technical analysis seems to fit me better than long term fundamental investing or Wild West day trading. But even with that, some days I just feel like the market hates my guts. I have studied stocks for a couple weeks and watched stocks that have been on uptrends for 6 x months. Then as soon as I enter a position the 6 x month uptrends reverses and starts tanking. I know there are ways to make money at this. But I still need to find my nitch that I can repeat because repetition is key.
Likewise - as far as trading goes. I am planning on maintaining some money in "investments" which I will own regardless of the near term price action. Nothing wrong with wanting to own the next amazon or google, provided one can actually see them coming or not. In amazons case, you could have initiated a 10k position over a span of a year or so and still been a millionaire by today.

As far as trading, I am working on a risk first approach and learning how to scale into, and out of trades. I have very specific guidelines I buy on the technical side, but still incorporate fundamental 10k research as well. I am looking for near terms earnings growth, and P/E expansion. This includes a quality of earnings analysis in order to make sure things like one time gains are not hiding any secular decline/slowdown in earnings. I like this approach because I cannot divorce myself of fundamentals, but the technicals as far as supply/demand , accumulation/distribution of shares appear to have logical merit. The one thing I do not do is crazy patterns with no real basis in reality. As a result, I don't use any actual technical indicators except price, volume, moving averages and Relative strength. You can use these to spot stocks about to trend up, starting to stagnate, and even go short in a company.

When its all said and done, I want a robust system for all markets. I'll share some of my trades as I start to get going. To be clear, it should be obvious that taking advice from anyone online is not recommended and one should act independently. I'll do my best to hold myself accountable if I post anything here - wins, or losses.

greatsnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
long term/value investor here.
Things that are look at when considering buying a stock are: P/E ratio, strong balance sheet, cash flow, market catalysts and history of earnings.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am swing trading but shares not derivatives. I basically buy shares that r over valued - market darlings when they dip and cash out quick because that's all I know how to do :(

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am swing trading but shares not derivatives. I basically buy shares that r over valued - market darlings when they dip and cash out quick because that's all I know how to do :(
Swing trading is usually done on margin. You buy or sell an instrument and place the stop loss above the swing high or below the swing low depending on whether you re long or short, then you try to trade the swing. Thats where the name 'swing' comes from. The swing is the zig zagging or stepping of the market, and you're trying to profit from the juice of the swing, most commonly around a risk of 1 for 2 or 3 reward. This type of trading involves many losses and few winners, and its the skew of ratio between the risk reward that allows a successful trader to stay in the game and to keep their risk capital well managed. Nowadays though I do see a lot of swing traders inverting the risk reward ratio to take small profits against a larger risk. This isnt really swing trading, its scalping, but seems more common these days.

Some more home truths before I give you any advice. You mentioned shares being more accessible than starting a business because business takes time, start up capital and an idea etc. Well if you want to be successful at trading then it has to become a business. It will take time, an idea and startup capital. You have to spend a very long time finding an idea (your trade plan/strategy/edge), you will have to spend more time at the screen than you would a normal job, babysitting trades, scanning and waiting for entry price action to present itself, and you most likely will become addicted to it (I did) because it creates the same dopamine high as gambling does. However, done properly you will be in front of the screen 8-12 hours a day, researching, planning, testing and journalling trades. It will also cost a lot of money to get running. It will be a full time business IF you want to make money from it.

The only 2 traders I ever met that were successful (one of the few traders who weren't afraid to show me their equity curve) and knew what they were doing were a father and son team who I cold called one day to try and get some business, they weren't interested in becoming a client and told me they actually had high net investors on top of their own capital that they were trading. Despite being not interested they were very pleasant and i kept in contact with them to get periodical market outlooks etc. Eventually they invited me to go visit their office, (up until this point I had no idea how good they actually were because I hadn't met them or seen any proof, but I went along to network).

They traded from home but had converted an old barn on their land into an office. The office was bigger than I thought it would be, had about 6 or 7 computers for the 2 of them, printers, and phones, and as well as the usual trading monitor setup they had a huge lcd on the wall which had about 10 other markets showing, which I assume they were using to monitor correlations and babysitting day trades. I spent the day there watching what they were doing and discussing things.

Most of their day was spent not actually trading, (they were swing and day trading), but crunching numbers, back testing huge amounts of data they had collected, trying out new ideas and methods, and tweaking parameters of their trading model to see if there was anyway they could create more profit from what they were doing. They were both mathematically minded, had backgrounds in finance and clearly very intelligent. They eventually showed me their track record. They had periods where they took 10 to 15 losses in a row, and periods where they were down a month, but overall they averaged about 4% a month over 6 years, which they told me was the product of about 15,000 trades. These guys ran a tight ship and it was a breath of fresh air seeing the amount of focus and dedication they had put in pay off, compared to the jock/idiot culture of the office I worked in where it was easier for people to rip off the client and get out the office early to get drunk and do cocaine rather than figure out how the markets actually worked.

So what I am getting at is basically. Don't be naive to think you can make a living easily from this, I know I was. Its probably easier to become a doctor. There are average joes out there who are successful at trading, but that's only because they are not using a stop loss or haven't been in the market long enough to experience a black swan event. What can go wrong eventually will go wrong and when that happens they will concentrate on earning their money from pushing their bogus trading courses.

If i could go back 10 years I would have saved my capital and got into the property game. Anyhow, if you are a macro economics geek, get turned on by numbers and stats then trading might be for you.

My advice for trading is as follows and applies to trading stocks, indices, shares, commodities, forex (it doesnt apply to penny stocks and illiquid assets, those things are a crap shoot imo):

- Learn about inter market relationships. Why does money from move one asset class to another and when is this most likely to happen. I.e why does money flow out of stocks/shares and risk assets into bonds and other safe havens at certain times.

- Learn to read the order book and volume. What actually makes price move up and down.

- Learn about macro economics, and learn to read between the lines, understand how a positive outcome can mean a negative effect on the market due to context.

- Learn about the art of price action and its discretional nature. Again you have to learn to read between the lines with price action. Supply and demand is a good place to start and basic candlestick patterns. Just stick to a few like engulfing, hammer/hanging man etc. My advice is to stay away from crazy chart patterns. But be aware of the basic ones like flags, head and shoulders, double bottoms and tops. Always look for clean price action, not messy. Try not to clog your chart with indicators. A coupe moving averages will do.

- Find a way that is mechanical as possible of defining the trend.

-Don't take trading advice/calls from other traders.

-Learn about psychology. This is probably the most important part believe it or not. All the above is useless if you cant be disciplined and cant control yourself under pressure.

Thats all i can think of for now.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks that s a great rundown. TBH it's just a hobby I've run the 3.5 k i invested up to just over four. And if I can run it up to 5 it's going to become my property buying trip money back to NZ

greatsnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Swing trading is usually done on margin. You buy or sell an instrument and place the stop loss above the swing high or below the swing low depending on whether you re long or short, then you try to trade the swing. Thats where the name 'swing' comes from. The swing is the zig zagging or stepping of the market, and you're trying to profit from the juice of the swing, most commonly around a risk of 1 for 2 or 3 reward. This type of trading involves many losses and few winners, and its the skew of ratio between the risk reward that allows a successful trader to stay in the game and to keep their risk capital well managed. Nowadays though I do see a lot of swing traders inverting the risk reward ratio to take small profits against a larger risk. This isnt really swing trading, its scalping, but seems more common these days.

Some more home truths before I give you any advice. You mentioned shares being more accessible than starting a business because business takes time, start up capital and an idea etc. Well if you want to be successful at trading then it has to become a business. It will take time, an idea and startup capital. You have to spend a very long time finding an idea (your trade plan/strategy/edge), you will have to spend more time at the screen than you would a normal job, babysitting trades, scanning and waiting for entry price action to present itself, and you most likely will become addicted to it (I did) because it creates the same dopamine high as gambling does. However, done properly you will be in front of the screen 8-12 hours a day, researching, planning, testing and journalling trades. It will also cost a lot of money to get running. It will be a full time business IF you want to make money from it.

The only 2 traders I ever met that were successful (one of the few traders who weren't afraid to show me their equity curve) and knew what they were doing were a father and son team who I cold called one day to try and get some business, they weren't interested in becoming a client and told me they actually had high net investors on top of their own capital that they were trading. Despite being not interested they were very pleasant and i kept in contact with them to get periodical market outlooks etc. Eventually they invited me to go visit their office, (up until this point I had no idea how good they actually were because I hadn't met them or seen any proof, but I went along to network).

They traded from home but had converted an old barn on their land into an office. The office was bigger than I thought it would be, had about 6 or 7 computers for the 2 of them, printers, and phones, and as well as the usual trading monitor setup they had a huge lcd on the wall which had about 10 other markets showing, which I assume they were using to monitor correlations and babysitting day trades. I spent the day there watching what they were doing and discussing things.

Most of their day was spent not actually trading, (they were swing and day trading), but crunching numbers, back testing huge amounts of data they had collected, trying out new ideas and methods, and tweaking parameters of their trading model to see if there was anyway they could create more profit from what they were doing. They were both mathematically minded, had backgrounds in finance and clearly very intelligent. They eventually showed me their track record. They had periods where they took 10 to 15 losses in a row, and periods where they were down a month, but overall they averaged about 4% a month over 6 years, which they told me was the product of about 15,000 trades. These guys ran a tight ship and it was a breath of fresh air seeing the amount of focus and dedication they had put in pay off, compared to the jock/idiot culture of the office I worked in where it was easier for people to rip off the client and get out the office early to get drunk and do cocaine rather than figure out how the markets actually worked.

So what I am getting at is basically. Don't be naive to think you can make a living easily from this, I know I was. Its probably easier to become a doctor. There are average joes out there who are successful at trading, but that's only because they are not using a stop loss or haven't been in the market long enough to experience a black swan event. What can go wrong eventually will go wrong and when that happens they will concentrate on earning their money from pushing their bogus trading courses.

If i could go back 10 years I would have saved my capital and got into the property game. Anyhow, if you are a macro economics geek, get turned on by numbers and stats then trading might be for you.

My advice for trading is as follows and applies to trading stocks, indices, shares, commodities, forex (it doesnt apply to penny stocks and illiquid assets, those things are a crap shoot imo):

- Learn about inter market relationships. Why does money from move one asset class to another and when is this most likely to happen. I.e why does money flow out of stocks/shares and risk assets into bonds and other safe havens at certain times.

- Learn to read the order book and volume. What actually makes price move up and down.

- Learn about macro economics, and learn to read between the lines, understand how a positive outcome can mean a negative effect on the market due to context.

- Learn about the art of price action and its discretional nature. Again you have to learn to read between the lines with price action. Supply and demand is a good place to start and basic candlestick patterns. Just stick to a few like engulfing, hammer/hanging man etc. My advice is to stay away from crazy chart patterns. But be aware of the basic ones like flags, head and shoulders, double bottoms and tops. Always look for clean price action, not messy. Try not to clog your chart with indicators. A coupe moving averages will do.

-Learn about psychology. This is probably the most important part believe it or not. All the above is useless if you cant be disciplined and cant control yourself under pressure.

This is good stuff.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I day traded company money during the end of the dot com boom, unfortunately missing the glory days. My last job was when Worldco went bust, but I worked for three straight employers that went under. I always had an account in the green, usually by a tiny amount every day, so I never did get fired. Computer trading started to kill intraday volatility and all the former hot shots couldn't make their $10-15k per day that they expected. I saw several million+ accounts all get p!ssed away. It does make sense that you met math-minded guys who were succeeding. They were in the minority when I was trading, but I'm sure that is no longer true.

Anyway, I have been out of trading for a long time, but I can tell you know your stuff. It's great to see you posting here.

logicallefty

Reaction score
I think swing trading seems like the best approach for someone with a day job who wants to trade part-time. My goal is to make part of my income from trading, but not all of it. I still want to work a regular job, just not as hard and as much.