It's no secret: "The Secret" and the "Law of Attraction" are BULLSH*T

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
Oh I will treat him as respectful as I possibly can. I don't stereotype clients, you never know what their financial situation is like, and all money is green. I'm just pointing out.. this is your avg guy's makeup of who goes into business.
what had me and my friend fooled when we started our small business was that the supposed owner had EVERYTHING done for him. Piece by piece you start to see his work, and ultimately his company as a fraud. I won't comment on his intelligence since he wasn't a primate, however his writing was lazy, uninspired and meaningless..much like the email you got. Having this guy edit papers meant they would come on significantly worse than if he hadn't.

The problem? He was a thinker. Thats all he did. All he did while we spent our time getting through problems was brainstorming, thinking, pondering, writing, and critiquing our ideas. Looking further, he always had everything done for him, so all he never needed to do was embrace a positive mindset. I mean, how could he do wrong if his parents gave him everything he needed?

7 months later, and he is still thinking out the company web site - having ripped material from my funding solicitations ( poorly I might add). His best bet is to come up with another lie and sucker two more people into trying to make him an empire.

In short. **** thinkers. Be a Do-er.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my time in business, you can generally classify everyone as a type

1. the know it all - The guy who used to build websites back in the late 90's and would have no probelm doing what you are doing now, he is just too busy to do it (rolleyes). But becuase he knows a few lines of HTML code, he feels that he is your programming equal. YOu can't tell this guy anything he doesn't already know. This IMHO is the worst type of client you can have. The first time someone drops in something like "oh, I used to build websites" or "I am a programmer, I just don't have time for this" I politely pass on the project. Not worth it.

2. The guy who thinks he can be an *******, just because he is paying you or because he is your boss - My mother actually falls in this catogory. People who use authority just because it's there to be used. They quickliy find out I'm not the one. Once a month or so I generally end up mailing a check back to a client. There is a certain way you are going to talk to me, and it's not down.

3. the overly critical/ analytical guy - The guy that you send a mockup to, and it takes him 3 days to go over it and he provides you 5 pages of feedback. I don't mind these types actually, I like somoene who knows what they want.

4. the feeling/emotion person - About a month ago, I had a client, that we were suppose to build a rather large site in dupral for. Actually was going to be a bad ass site. The guy sent a paypal deposit, via echeck. Echecks take 5 or so days to clear, and we are busy as it is with other work, I told him, that we will start work once it clears. He gets pissy. I told him he should have thought about that before sending an echeck. Not my problem. So now he's mad becuase I told him to deal with it and wants to know why I would get so "mean" with him over something like this, and we go back and forth, or rather he is going. He gets himself so worked up, he now, has convinced himself, that we weren't going to work on the project. All in a matter of about 1 day he went from waiting for the deposit to clear, to demanding proof that we were going to finish his project. I canceled the PayPal transaction and told him to get lost. had the guy had any rationality at all, he would have seen the problem was of his own making.

5. the a little bit too lacksidical guy - The guy that you take money from and you want to finish the project for, and he just sn't that enthlatstic about it. These guys bite you in the ass becuase out of nowhere, they overnight NEED IT DONE RIGHT NOW. I had a guy that flew to china like 4 times in 2 months on a very similar flash business website. should have had it done in 2 weeks, but he was never around for feedback. Then he gets back in town and EVERYTHING HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT NOW I HAVE INVESTORS THAT NEED THIS AND NEED THAT.. I'm like look brah slow your roll. If it was important to you, you would not be traveling around the world. You leave we take other projects and you get put on the backburner for someone who has shown me from the get go they want this done in a timely fashion.

6. the name dropper - The guy who calls and can't wait to tell you who he works with, who he knows, etc. yawn. Almost autmoatlcaly they will ask you to work for free or to work for some type of equity. never fails.

8. The workaholic - The person that doesn't understand why you aren't working on a saturday. lol, this is me actually to a T. I have to remind myself hey people take weekends off.

I have learned over the years, how to NEXT clients just like I next women. There are certain flags, I don't even think about I will tell a client to get lost in a second.

The best advice I can give anyone is to keep making mistakes. You learn from mistakes, they are the best form of education a man has.

To totally flip the script I want to talk about Harry Truman. W?hat the hell does President Truman have to do about the secret you might ask? He and President Grant are my two favorite presidents. Both remind me somewhat of myself.

Presient Truman was not stupid, but he was not colllege educated. Very simple man, he has, basically 2 goals in life. The irst, was to marry Bess. He really is an interesting character for this forum, he never looked at, dated, even thought about dating another woman HIS ENTIRE LIFE other than bess. Fro mthe time he was 5 years old he saw her and that was it. He thought about her and wrote her and wore her down for 30 years until she marrie dhim. But the other was to be what his father wasn't and that was successful.

By the time he was almost 50 years old, this man, was married, living with his wife's mother, failed as a farmer, failed as an oil man, and failed at starting a small business with a partner. He had failed at everything he had ever tried in his life. Expect the army, he was a successful general in WW2. But he kept his head up and kept believing that one day his luck would change. He never got 2 down on himself.. a 49 year old man, by, all standard accounts, was utterly worthless man according to society. His step mom hated him, and used to chastise her daughter for putting up with him. But he kept chugging along, he believed in himself and he believed with hard work he would be successful. That was at the age of 49. By the time he was 60, he was the president of the united states. From living in your mother in law's addict at 49, to being the president of the united states at 60. That's something for you.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
Some people just weren't cut out to be successful. Some people, have talent but don't like taking personal responsibility for things. Some people have a strong drive and not much talent.

In my line of work I see a lot of business plans, and a lot of ideas. I can count on one hand, in more than 2 years, the ones that I would consider to be anywhere near my level or above it. Most aren't well though out at all, are under funded for what they are trying to do, etc.

Then you have guys like this freelance graphic guy who I am dealing with, who actually, has talent. Real talent. And the talent, has made me put up with alot of his lackadaisical about what he does. He just doesn't have any drive. It's nothing but excuses after excuses, when things get bad or time crunching he runs and hides and makes me deal with clients.

you can tell alot about a person with how they handle adversity. Alot of people want to start a business or work for themselves when things are good. When bills fall behind, or clients get pissed and don't like work or work is late.. you just can't run and hide. you still have to face the music, rather or not you like the tune that is being played, because that's your responsibility.

There are alot of things, that you don't want to do, or don't want to face, that going into being the person you want to ultimately be and get where you ultimately want to go. The problem is, alot of people just aren't willing to put up with that from my experience.

Don't confuse the law of attraction or outright stupidity. WE have alot of financially ignorant people buying houses that they could not afford. It's as simple as that. A person who would have used the law of attraction to buy a home would have more than did their homework. There are stages to achieve anything you want in live. 1. Figure out what you want, 2. define a definite course of action, 3. study your market/opponent/opposition 4. excuse your plan without fail. 5. learn from your failures along the way.
Wow. You sound like you know my former business partner very well. She wants to run a business but doesn't want to do anything and doesn't want to be responsible for **** that goes wrong and won't deal with clients. (hides from them when sh1t gets rough). I recently brought her in on a web design job (as I can do layout but I don't know jack about programming) and what did she do? Insert me between her and the client (I edited his commercial and passed him along to her). She ran away when she ran into problems and I had to solve it as my reputation was on the line since I got caught in the middle. I took responsibility and got it done with another programmer. Now shes saying she wants to get paid for her work. F'in kidding me right?

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Warrior74 said:
Wow. You sound like you know my former business partner very well. She wants to run a business but doesn't want to do anything and doesn't want to be responsible for **** that goes wrong and won't deal with clients. (hides from them when sh1t gets rough). I recently brought her in on a web design job (as I can do layout but I don't know jack about programming) and what did she do? Insert me between her and the client (I edited his commercial and passed him along to her). She ran away when she ran into problems and I had to solve it as my reputation was on the line since I got caught in the middle. I took responsibility and got it done with another programmer. Now shes saying she wants to get paid for her work. F'in kidding me right?

LOL, why did you have her as a partner equal to you in the first place.

Stuff like this happens when you put emotion first then logic.. Some how some way you did attract this situation into your life, going by having 100% responsibility for your life. I would never have anyone as a partner unless they were as reliable, positive, flexible and were at the same page as me.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
this is your avg entrapuraner part 2. I just had to post this here

Looking for a business partner to build a web site. Must know layout , and have experience in all aspects of design and programming as well as graphic design
This would be a partnership split 3 ways - estimated income of 8 to 10 g per month or more as the site gets traffic. marketing skills are a plus as well
we have a patent , and made new laws to get the business licenses needed to make this happen..
If you have interest please e-mail with your portfolio and experience , and a contact # to discuss further.. must be available to meet if we like what you can offer.
The work involved will be timely and is estimated at 100 hrs or more - so if your not working now this is an opportunity to be financially worry free within 3 to 4 mnths
Must also be open minded since this is an adult oriented job - single preferred but not a must due to the business
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cpg/2222431780.html

JT7890

Banned
Reaction score
There's a reason that only 10% or less of our population are or can be business owners/entrepreneurs. Just like well less then 10% of our population are doctors, but, you don't see infomercials about COME BE A DOCTOR AND MAKE SIX FIGURES A YEAR.

I find it disrespectful to the raw talent, wisdom, and abilities of business owners for our industry to be promoted through late night infomercials promising that "anybody" can do what we do if they put their mind to it or follow "the law of attraction."

There's no other industry or career promoted as such.

You CAN'T do anything you put your mind to. You CAN DO what your talent allows. Put me in a hospital to train to be a doctor and I will be a mediocre one at best. Put me in a court room and I will be a mediocre lawyer at best because I'm not TALENTED in those areas. And putting my mind to it doesn't change the fact that I lack the raw talent.

We need to stop this nonsense.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EA Gold said:

Stuff like this happens when you put emotion first then logic.. Some how some way you did attract this situation into your life, going by having 100% responsibility for your life. I would never have anyone as a partner unless they were as reliable, positive, flexible and were at the same page as me.
Some people have compassion for their fellow person and give them a chance to prove themselves. You were just preaching about selfishness and cruelty and now you're doing the exact same thing.

Hypocrisy.

Here's a tip: Take your own advice and live your advice. Then you will have every right to preach... and people might listen to you.

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Some people have compassion for their fellow person and give them a chance to prove themselves. You were just preaching about selfishness and cruelty and now you're doing the exact same thing.
How is it her proving herself when she didn't do anywork, yet wants to get paid. Now if I paid her anyway, then I would be risking my own character and morals showing favoritism if their were other employees involved. So your saying it was right for certain companies to give their executives multi million dollar bonuses, then a few weeks later the company goes bankrupt and thousands lose their jobs?

If you don't know what selfishness and cruetly is I'll give you some examples of it. Taking the money running away with it. Telling the customer the job is finished when its not. Pretending to do your part while leaving the tough jobs for others.

Actually, what his partner did was very selfish and cruel.

Now if she was a poor beggar asking for money and food then you have a point, but this is his bussiness partner.

You reap what you sow.

If you hire someone who is enept in handling their end of the job, you'll end up sinking with the ship.

The way you handle your business doesn't have anything to do with your relationship with God except with your character and morals.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EA Gold said:
How is it her proving herself when she didn't do anywork, yet wants to get paid.
Which happened after he chose her as a business partner. Not before.

You argued that he should not have given her a chance, at the beginning.

EA Gold said:
I disagreed, and said that because he gave her a chance, at the beginning, that it made him compassionate towards his fellow person.

So your saying it was right for certain companies to give their executives multi million dollar bonuses, then a few weeks later the company goes bankrupt and thousands lose their jobs?
What does this have to do with anything? I never even mentioned anything remotely close to this, nor did anyone else in this thread.

Nice conversation and comprehension skills you have there EA Gold :rolleyes: (I am being sarcastic in this sentence.)

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I need to vent and you mother****ers are just going to have to listen lol. I really do not understand how some people get by in life with so ****ing little drive. I'm not talking in cliche's or anything I mean, just ****ing plump lazy. I don't understand how I can send a developer, a ****ing 200 dollar,****ING template edit project, something that can be done in about a half a day, and 20 days later it's still not done. How the ****, do you put a website together, that uses a different font on every ****ing page of the ****ing website and have the ****ing nerve, to tell me that you are ****ing finished I have no idea. I asked this **** face, to send me an update on this project, this mother****er emails me later that evening and tells me "I sat down and looked at the project, I have not yet started on the design but I have come up with some unique concepts that I think will work great". If I had a gun on me I would have shot him right then and there.

These are the same people who talk about how the man is out to get them, how they are always broke. This is a man who just got married a few months ago, what the **** his wife saw in him I have no idea. It's very hard to make me this mad actually, I am usually a pretty understanding dude when it comes to work, **** happens, I get it. But, just plump laziness, I don't tolerate

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
part 2 of similarities between someone you know and the other owner of my company.

We had a big report to do for a client on an initial feasibility study. The workhorses, aka engineers tasked themselves with the most difficult part including the studies, scales, options, appendixes etc. The real meat of the project. We gave the slacker owner the easiest parts which was the intro and background and guess what...he fvcked them up more than a 6th grader. It was embarrassing. He spent two strait days locked up "working" on the report so we thought it stood a good chance of being good. Not ****ing way. It came out WORSE than when before because he slacked off, than rushed to do nothing. Like he cut and pasted sections and used them IN THE SAME REPORT. Don't even ask me about how bad his one page section on the actual science was. No labels, no descriptions, no nothing. It was after seeing this vomitous mass of work that I knew we would be doomed - and he owned 50%!

He wanted to be an entrepreneur, but was lazy as ****, just like the people you mention. So what is it with these people? Well for one thing, I think they want to avoid work, period. They want to avoid a real job with real responsibilities. Someone like you works their asses off which is why you are successful. The kid in my story would get fired within 2 weeks from most hobs, and this is not an exaggeration. Instead, he tries to manipulate people to do his work for him. It should be obvious that I am still not over it.

But who is the loser? The slacker, or the chump who did all the work for the slacker? Something to ponder..

/end rant #2

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am the total opposite. I have just come to the conclusion that I am so picky, if I can reasonably find a way to do something myself I will. Alot of the stuff I do on a daily basis, talk to clients, put together proposals, manage projects, I could hire someone else to do, or outsource it. I've tried, and I have found that I do a (much in most cases) better job

My old female assistant, could actually do a damn good job managing projects, but she got injured and still isn't right yet, got in a real bad car wreck last year.

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to venture into religion, but, as it pertains to the subject at hand, a preacher named Peter Popoff (an infamous swindler of 'faith healing'), is now preaching for debt removal.
"I'm telling you that God teaches in His word that He wants to cancel, erase, wipe out, obliterate your debt," Popoff says in a video ad. Popoff claims he has delivered miracles to hundreds of thousands of people supernaturally. He sends his followers tons of mail, including small vials of "miracle spring water" and debt cancellation kits, then asks his viewers to send small donations. In return, Popoff promises -- as a messenger of God -- to heal and unlock the secrets of financial security and wipe out all debt.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/consumer&id=7984766
LOL. PT Barnum didn't invented the phrase "A sucker is born every minute," but it's true.

n00bPimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rogue said:
Not to venture into religion, but, as it pertains to the subject at hand, a preacher named Peter Popoff (an infamous swindler of 'faith healing'), is now preaching for debt removal.LOL. PT Barnum didn't invented the phrase "A sucker is born every minute," but it's true.
Way to kick a dead horse.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe in the Universal Law of Distraction.