Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is it impractical to buy a COMPACT pick up truck now?

stuka1939

Banned
Reaction score
The new Nissan Frontier's are not bad looking at all and the car experts seem to rave about it and name it the best compact pick up truck next to the Toyota Tacoma.

I have seen Nissan Frontier's (not sure what year though, maybe 05's) that are just PLAIN UGLY in the front. They have a silver metal looking rod (about three feet in length) running across the front.

IMHO, I think General Motors makes the best looking trucks.

This is the one I want to get.

http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuye...Cab/Pickup_Truck/2006_GMC_CanyonExt_ext_1.jpg

Joe the Homophobe:

You are right, if gas continues its upward swing it would not be in my best interest to get a compact pick up truck. I would then go with a Hyundai Sonata car (THey are nice).

However, don't you think these truck manufacturers might try and do something that makes these pick up trucks get better MPG to attract buyers.

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At the end of the day, there is nothing they can really do.

The more mass a car has, the more energy it will require. That is inescapable physics.

So, there might be some technological improvements that increase fuel efficiency, but those same improvements could be applied to a lighter, smaller car to give it even better mileage.

At the end of the day a big car will ALWAYS burn more gas than a lighter unless Force stop's equaling mass * acceleration.

stuka1939

Banned
Reaction score
Well, 33 year old sister even told me it is stupid and impractical to get a pick up truck.

"You don't need one"! Why, would you want a pick up truck.

Maybe I should just accept I am going to get a biased answer since MOST women don't like pick up trucks. I think Trucks are simply a man thing.

TurboLover

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Inside Man said:
Sorry, I was actually looking for an explanation, not a site that is trying to sell me a turbo kit.

If you can find any lit.(testing, explaining) on turbos increasing mileage please post it up. Because I have a Twin Turbo Supra and the mileage I get is nothing to write home about.

http://www.e30info.com/pages/turbo.htm
From the site:
Will the turbocharger hurt my mileage?

Yes. The turbo, when installed as an aftermarket item on a spark-ignition engine, is not an economizer and cannot be construed as such. There is no engineering basis for making such claims. If you are led into purchasing a turbo under the premise of improving your fuel mileage, be sure to get a written guarantee. When not operating under boost, a turbocharger is a small system restriction. This restriction causes a small loss in volumetric efficiency. Volumetric efficiency and fuel economy are definitely tied together. If your driving habits are about the same as most, your mileage will drop about 10% city and 5% highway. No miracles here.

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know, theres a few testimonials on there where people talk about increasing mileage and the company touts it on their front page. Don't know the actual mechanics behind it.

Tekniq

Don Juan
Reaction score
Only if you overcompensating for something.

TurboLover

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Inside Man said:
I don't know, theres a few testimonials on there where people talk about increasing mileage and the company touts it on their front page. Don't know the actual mechanics behind it.
I think the only way to make this true is if when cruising in vacuum the the heat from the turbo acts like a Warm Air Intake reducing pumping losses to the engine and improving fuel economy depending on how the ECU reacts. Possible, but not a valid selling point for adding a turbo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_air_intake

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Will the turbocharger hurt my mileage?

Adding one, yes. But the efficiency of turbo is in comparison to an engine that does not use forced induction, but rather gets the same horsepower out of having a larger displacement. They also get the efficiency label when they are compared to a supercharger, which decreases mpg a lot worse than adding a turbo. Especially in an old carborated V8, it is easy to add a supercharger and drop the mpg far down into the single digits. I think it is those comparisons that get the turbo the rep for efficiency. You are right that they do not make the same car get better mileage.

What mpg does your Supra get, turbolover? My twin turbo Stealth is supposed to get 25 mpg, but the way I drive it, I bet most of the time I am getting closer to 15 mpg. I still want to add 550cc injectors, fuel pressure regulator, and a Supra fuel pump. 3s guys swap our fuel pump for yours, and it is a big upgrade. It will kill my mpg, but fvck it, I want 400 awd hp.

Ryan Brandon

Reaction score
@stuka1939, good post. Last year, the Chevrolet Silverado was the second most popular pickup in the market. Now, Chevrolet Silverado has released a new Teen Driver feature. The Enhanced Driver Alert package also comes with more advanced safety features.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"When people talk all kinds of sh!t... that's when I REALLY don't give any fukks and do whatever I want!!!"

- Prius Driver

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it is false that women don't like trucks, maybe not to drive themselves, but trucks are manly. I would rather have a pickup than a sports car when it comes to women, because of the masculine vibe.

I have never heard of the idea that trucks are "compensating for something". But it is true that people will end up asking you to haul something for them. Oh well, pros and cons. It's also handy to have if you want to haul something. Not sure how a pickup could be considered impractical :confused:

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
I own and drive a Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup, mid size 3.0L engine.

Useful in plenty of ways.

Women enjoy riding in one, seems they enjoy looking "down" at other women.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Women enjoy riding in one, seems they enjoy looking "down" at other women.
The 4WD versions sit higher than the 2WDs, for the uninformed. There's probably about a $10,000 difference if you're wanting to buy one new though.

I had a girl in my 4WD truck one day, we were going up a ramp leaving a shopping plaza. It was snowing out, and the truck started to struggle getting up the hill. I threw it in into 4WD and it jolted up there like it was nothing. The girl who was with me said "I think I just cummed in my pants". They like the masculine vibe.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
Pickup is a totally American fad, when used for work it's understanable, but when used as a fun boy fad, it's impractical. A lot more practical is an SUV, such as Audi Q series, BMW x5, x6, Mercedes G wagon, even volvo. As far as American vs European or Asian, it's another fad thingy. I personally find myself gasping and in awe when I see old BMW or Mercedes rolling up. I do not get same feeling when an old lincoln town car rolls up.

That's my 2 cents.

dustmuffin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a 99 doge Dakota. Bought it new. It's for hauling crap. Will keep it till the wheels fall off. I have a mazda 3 for everyday. Thinking of giving the Mazda to my boy and getting a slightly upscale car like a Toyota Avalon or a Mercedes 250. I can get either a few years old for 20k.