Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I want to become wittier and I want to know how!

CrunchyNut

Don Juan
Reaction score
What about someone who has nothing except for academic experience? Does that mean those with no personality or humour should quit while they are ahead? If that's true, then I suppose I am wasting time...

No. If you have a passion for academia then talk to girls about that. If you are really genuinely enthusiastic about something, then that enthusiasm will rub off on others. If you love studying the American Revolution, then talk to someone about it. Make them understand what a fascinating time it was, and you might just bond. There are a surprising number of girls who are both hot and intellectual.

da_hunter

Banned
Reaction score
KillaPetehog said:
There is a difference between a skill and a talent.

A skill is something that you can learn and become better in. It is something that you can master with time.

A talent is something that you either are born with...or not.

I know people that spend hours, days, weeks and years to take classes on painting and drawing. But no matter how hard they work, they have no talent. :D

Art isn't a skill. It's a talent. It's something you're born with.

I know people that spend hours, days, weeks and years to take classes on music and singing. But there are just some people that just can't sing, no matter what they do.

Quite frankly, they suck. :D All that hard work is for nothing.

Anyone can take a class in singing. But very few people can really sing.

And I know people that spend hours, days, weeks and years here to "be funny". And the truth of the matter is...a sense of humor isn't something that you can take a class in. You either have it or you don't.

Luckily most of the Don Juan principles are "skills."

But a sense of humor.....nah bro....you won't learn that from reading a book. It should just come natural. Funny is natural. And if you're trying too hard to be funny......then playa, you just ain't funny.

Some of the funniest people I know don't even work at it. It just comes. :D :D

My best advice is just to keep it real. Be yourself. Don't try to act like something you aren't.

I've heard many a singing teacher say that 'anyone can be taught to sing well'. Really great singing - Pavoratti or Elvis or something - is a talent and cannot be taught. But that does not mean you can't teach a guy to go from singing like a beat up old dog to singing competently and in tune.

Randallpink83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
exactly.... Go read a biography on Jim Carrey,, you will realize how many hours he spent in front of the mirror PRACTICING and LEARNING face expressions. He is skillful at being such a character because he worked towards it and wanted it.

ALL comedians WORK on being funny... Each one of them is a stage act that they skillfuly crafted to make it exciting and hilarious.

Now yes these guys are naturally funny but they still work towards it. Once you work on something enough it becomes natural.

Dave Attell is EXTREMLY witty... so witty he got his own television show (insomniac) just walking around and talking with people and making it funny.

Harlem Williams does a full stand up act through just interacting with the crowd.. he will ask a random person a question and then he just runs with it.. its amazing.

But these guys work towards it.. They are professionals!!

Babnik

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to be WITTIER.

First of all I am really witty in Russian, but in English/American I am like "Huh...that wasn't funny at all", so thats why I want to learn and UNDERSTAND American humor.

I went out on a date once and this girl pulled our a joke out some ice cream stick that said "Why did bla bla cross the road" and I thought it was the dumbest thing in the world and she saw that I felt that way and felt bad that I didn't like her humor.

I just don't GET IT!

CactusMcDougal

Don Juan
Reaction score
My sense of humour consists mostly of jokes about Alexander Hamilton and his fateful brush Aaron Burr or puns involving obscure Science Fiction (mostly George Orwell or Isaac Asimov) references. I have been met with many a blank stare after attempting a joke with a relatively simple set-up or punchline. I have, however, made people laugh simply through my delivery; delivering the joke with a very deadpan tone. (Which is quite easy since I speak with a monotone, as I have been told.)

Thomas94305

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Der's "comedy writing secrets" by Melvin Helitzer. There's other comedy secrets books.. Some colleges are teaching classes in improv comedy. Comedy is slowly becoming recognized as a literature form.

IMO, what works best is the DJ attitude applied to comedy. Throw things out there without a care for what people think. Get a little stock material, and go with it, expand it, be in the moment. Usually, when I'm in a good vibe, not worrying about what others think of me, things bust up.

The Forms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wit seems to be one of those things that you're born with. But I don't necessarily believe that. I figure it is acquired. I'm a funny guy because growing up I was around a lot of funny people.

Wit is about looking at a given situation from a strange angle. Funny comes out of absurdity. So, try looking at normal things from a different point of view, and they'll seem funny to you. That's all stand up comedians do. They see the same **** we do, but they look at it different.

And they are trained to do that. So I guess you should be able to train yourself too.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Randallpink83 said:
exactly.... Go read a biography on Jim Carrey,, you will realize how many hours he spent in front of the mirror PRACTICING and LEARNING face expressions. He is skillful at being such a character because he worked towards it and wanted it.
But understand that what he does is all an act, he turns it on when it's needed. He's not that lively in day to day situations.

Reaction score
Jim Carey is a pure natural - I saw impromptu interviews with him and he has a fast wit and is very good!! Same as Robin Williams!!

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Last Man Standing said:
Jim Carey is a pure natural - I saw impromptu interviews with him and he has a fast wit and is very good!! Same as Robin Williams!!
Nah, actually he was just "on." Like Randallpink said, Carey practiced countless hours to be able to have a kick-@ass act. But that's just it, it's an act. Look for interviews about him with his ex wife or ex girlfriends; they've all said that he's very quiet and secluded in his everyday life. He just turns it on for the cameras.

Reaction score
Of course when he is "acting" he is acting but he has the persona to make it real and resonate with the audience - it is more than acting - it is a form of charisma.

Funny people do not have to be funny but only 2% of the time - but when they are funny they truly are funny - most things in life are mundane so why should they be a clown 24/7! Jim Carey is not a comedian but more of a physical actor who takes on a funny character and pulls it off.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HTML:
This should be part of your personality you should attempt to improve regardless of girls or not. Definitely a learnable skills. I just posted my advice I gathered from 20 years of working on it. Check it out on the Tips forum:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116532

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What Gangster of Love said/linked and also, READ books in English! Reading a **** ton of books recently has really helped my mind think in different ways and like someone else said, made me observe and be able to comment on stuff most people would gloss over.