How does one distinguish between gut instinct and rationalizations

drmeathead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
my new years goal posted elsewhere is to follow my gut more. i think when i rationalize my gut still tells me things are right. its like i know better but interpret things a certain way anyway then act on them. anyone care to impart some wisdom on this topic?

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
drmeathead said:
my new years goal posted elsewhere is to follow my gut more. i think when i rationalize my gut still tells me things are right. its like i know better but interpret things a certain way anyway then act on them. anyone care to impart some wisdom on this topic?

Followiing your "GUT' is rooted on your INTUITION about your experinece and/or environment.
Following your gut means you are ALIGNED to what you really believe INSIDE.

"Rationalizing" means that you are trying to justify an action in which you truly are NOT congruent with. Rationalizing say, cheating on a wife because you were bored is considered a negative, and cowardly. But you are coming up with reasons to justify this behavior, that is 'rationalizing',

I don't think you want to use this word for your progress.

You may prefer to use ANALYZE or INTELLECTUALIZE.
Or even using your CONSCIENCE for decision making.

Intuiton is loosely described as "street smarts".

Consicence is loosely described as "Book smarts".

You need to use BOTH to achieve WISDOM.

Wisdom lets you discern if you are lying to yourself.
"Follow your gut" means to be CONGRUENT with your inner belief system. Intellectualizing a decsion means searching for an answer that is logical for the benefit hopefully of all. A win/win situation.

Metro3pilot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Gut Instinct :

She has not returned 5 calls I don't think she's interested

Rationalizations

She has not returned 5 calls because she's playing hard to get and really wants me

Gut Instinct :

My girlfriend spent the night at this guys house and I know she's cheating

Rationilizations

She was too drunk too drive and I know that nothing happened because she loves me and she would never do that

Get it ?

:rockon:

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good question.

Interceptor did a really great job trying to answer it.

For my part I'll say that I think everyone of us knows when we are rationalizing about a person ie lying to ourselves.

We so want that person to be good for us and to fulfill our relationship dreams that we ignore our screaming inner sense, our gut instinct that is telling us to remove ourselves from that situation.

So in reality I do believe we always can distinguish between lying to ourselves ie rationalizing a bad person as being good for us and what our gut instinct is really telling us about a person.

The problem is our minds so powerfully want to get something good for us they try and trick us and make us think we are being paranoid by getting a bad feeling about the person or that we are being too judgemental yadda yadda yadda but really we are being nothing of the sort since the gut instinct feeling isn't something we think it is something we feel ie an impartial observer to our life's surroundings and events meant to protect us.

Its a primitive instinct deep within us to help our progression and survival along.

I guess I'll try to give you an extreme example of gut instinct versus rationalization.

Scenario: supposedly reformed crack wh0re love interest with track marks all over her arms and mysterious scars on her wrists.

Gut instinct: Even though I believe she is reformed now I sense a relapse in her future if exposed to too many normal stressors in daily life which lets face it are bound to happen sooner or later.
(Note:since the gut instinct is a sense it won't say anything like this but you will when you put the ominous feeling about her into words)

Rationalization Deceptive Mind Reaction: Don't be so judgemental, give the girl a chance, what you think you've been perfect in your life? You can't be a hypocrite now and expect perfection from someone when you can't be perfect, everyone deserves a second chance, who will love her if you won't?

All great points from a rationalization perspective in the unawakened AFC mind but they ignore the ominous feeling you got or dismiss it as paranoia, the feeling that will tell you what will eventually and inevitably happen should you proceed.

That feeling is more truthful than any rationalization will ever be because it is part of your survival instincts.

Still like another poster said you should use both your thoughts and gut instinct to make decisions but I'd say give more weight to what your gut instinct is telling you than your thoughts which can betray you.

aliasguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Rationalizations are more important than sex........ Ever gone through ONE DAY without a rationalization?"

------Jeff Goldblum's character in The Big Chill.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True, Kontoller.
Our gut instinct has NO reason to lie to us. It is the deepest held beliefs we have.
Gut instinct is evident in people who want to be aligned with their happiness ultmately.
What that means is, if you are faced with a decsion that may jeopardize what you want, you have a gut instinct to remind you of what you really want deep inside.

ie "What do I really want here? What is this scenario really about? Who am I really fooling here?"etc

Some call it also a "HIGHER SELF"

If youre ever faced with a decsion, one that challenges your beliefs, your gut instinct will tell you your beliefs.

Me: "Should I do this?"

Gut: "No, because you know you won't be happy there."

My mind, and rationale: "Sure, but maybe you can make it work!"

Gut: "Maybe, but you don't have enough time. Who knows how long it will take?? You won't be happy with it now. So don't do it."

If you follow through, and it may sometimes hurt and be awkward for you, you are asserting your Personal Boundary.
You have a Personal Boundary to achieve Happiness in Life.

Micheal Moon

Don Juan
Reaction score
The gut instinct should not only be the primary advice within you for girls, but it should guide you in life period.

However this is even in Pook's book: "Always trust the gut"

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reason. You either have one for your actions or you don't. A lot of people will tell you to "trust your gut" but you should first determine whether or not your gut is just pointing out a path of least resistance; one which is comfortable and predictable.

drmeathead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks guys...many well put answers. metro pilot really put well with his examples. i find myself doing that all the time. sometimes i think i chose the rationalization over the gut because it allows me to delay facing the truth that the object of my affection is just not that into me.

why do i do that? looking in retrospect it seems that i do that when i dont have other options or that other options dont seem as viable as this one. i dont have trouble meeting girls, however in the past my life as a student athelte and then as a first professional student was very busy and i didnt have time to add on options. also i am very selective in who i date for various reasons. i could go out and see 100 girls deem 5 attractice enough options to talk to and of those 5 maybe bother asking 3 for numbers if even those three are interested.

i think this past girl (re girl at the gym thread) caused me such a pain as i had nothing else better to do. all my friends were home for the holiday and i was stuck out here on emergency rotations. i really should have handled that better. i should have made myself busy. instead i chose to sit on my ass after working and working out. whatever lesson learned. ok ill stop now...

Victory Unlimited

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo Troops,

My experience has been that following my gut instinct (my spirit within) gets easier the more open I allow myself to be to the process of growing----to discovering who I am, accepting who I am-----then, FULLY embracing what I know SO FAR of my life's mission.

I am in the process of learning NOT to trust any rationalization that does not line up with, OR is in direct CONTRADICTION to the things I've just mentioned above.

Learning to be inner-directed as opposed to out-wardly driven is a skill that has to be developed-----like a child learns to be obedient to his father. And after enough trials and errors, this process seems to get a little easier...because a sense of inner trust begins to grow------so much so that at times it seems less like work, and MORE like "a gift".

The gift of DISCERNMENT.

I'm finding it to be a long road to march on, but I've seen enough positive results, and experienced enough moments of inner peace that I'm CONVINCED that it's the RIGHT road for me.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
First things last, go and buy, rent or burn Billy Wilder's Double Indemnity and watch it. One, it's a fantastic film through and through. Second, it will give you a prime example of following your gut instinct.

In the film, Insurance claim adjuster, Barton Keyes (Edward G. Robinson), follows, without regard, his little man. It's his conscience who resides in the solar plexus area. He always, ALWAYS, follows the advice of his little man and he's rarely wrong.

I first watched this film when I was a wee little tyke, say 8 or 9, and it left a lifelong impression on me. Since then I've been turning to my little man when I 'm conflicted on an issue or morally confused about which way I should handle a situation. What it boils down to is what would benefit me and help those within my circle. Sometimes the choice is hard because it's the right thing to do, other instances are more cut and dry and left strictly to the discretion of my little man.

Noone can tell you which way to go which is why it is imperative to get your inner locus under control and keep your frame of reference as diverse and universal as you can with the information and experience you have to this point.