Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

GUIDE TO CUTTING UP

Eltosian

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag:
Every day?
No, three times a week initially. I was losing weight a bit too fast the first week and a half and switched to twice a week, which worked well. Three days a week is a bit too much on the knee joints, and two is more sensible, IMO.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek Flint:

Again, do some research - who claims the Atkins diet is devoid of fiber?

Have you read the Atkins book or any support material?
Obviously not if you're making that claim.
Also, taking a multi-viatmin is recommended when on an LC diet, just like it is for any way of eating.

And again, controlled case studies show little to no loss of muscle mass on a LC diet.

Muscle loss occurs when the body is starved and begins to cannabalize muscle, not from cutting down carbs.

At this point, you are merely guessing that people lose muscle on an LC diet since you haven't posted anything to back up your claims of muscle loss or your claim of serious long term health effects.

And this coming from someone who recommends taking an "herbal fat burner" which is far worse for you than reducing carbs.
get your body fat measured already if you're so confident.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eltosian:
Three days a week is a bit too much on the knee joints, and two is more sensible, IMO.
Fortunately... I have a nice advantage there.... My college dorm is about 100 yards from the beach...
A) Harder to run true...
b) easier on the knees. Cool eh?

Eltosian

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fortunately... I have a nice advantage there.... My college dorm is about 100 yards from the beach...
A) Harder to run true...
b) easier on the knees. Cool eh?
Even if, three times a week could easily result in overtraining (along with weight training) for most people.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All right.. .thanks for the heads up

J

jimmyfranks

Excellent topic. Could you describe with a little more detail this HIIT you speak of? For instance, do you sprint for 20 seconds, and then stop, or walk for 10 sec. in between, etc.? I'm havving a hard time visualizing what it is you're talking about.

I'm 6'1", 225lbs. I was at 245 about 6 weeks ago, until I finally started taking my gym membership seriously and have been going in 3-4 times a week, doing 20-30 min. of cardio and working major muscle groups with moderate weight/several reps. I've also cut my caloric intake to around 1600cal./day but it might be less. Any kick start to continue building muscle and losig fat would be helpful. Thnks again for the insightful dialogue!

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
here Jimmy... here's a couple of Eltosian's posts that sum it up.

Originally posted by Eltosian:
I got really ripped in just two or three weeks doing a 4 minute "warm up" jog, followed by six "sets" of 20 seconds of 90% of max effort sprinting and 10 seconds of slow jogging, with a couple minutes for cool down. Total time: around 8-10 minutes. Short, brutal and effective.

Every day?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, three times a week initially. I was losing weight a bit too fast the first week and a half and switched to twice a week, which worked well. Three days a week is a bit too much on the knee joints, and two is more sensible, IMO.

there you go, all in one post

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
here Jimmy... here's a couple of Eltosian's posts that sum it up.

there you go, all in one post
3 days a week of the real high intensity cardio could potentially lower your immune system leaving you more prone to colds. I have an article on this I will dig up. The study they reviewed had people do 3 HIIT workouts in a row though.

My newest program will involve 3 days of cardio a week and at least 2 fullbody weight workouts a week (possibly a 3rd if I can handle it and my numbers keep going up). The weight workout will be in HIT form.

Of the 3 days of cardio, they all will be short but very intense. The majority of them will involve running.

I will monitor my running time in the mile (this is actually one of my cardio workouts) and all my weights in the lifting program. If the cardio on the other days makes me weaker in my lifts I will make adjustments.

I will also monitor body fat % and weight.

But the biggest thing to remember is that nutrition is the most important key in cutting up. So i will clean up my diet considerably during this time.

dj blass

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL
For the purposes of cutting up to retain muscle mass.. it's bull****.

DIET not CARDIO is the key.

Your body will metabolize muscle mass just as well as it will fat. If anything it's easier for your body to metabolize muscle mass (4 calories per gram of muscle) than it is for it to metabolize fat. (9 calories per gram) -

if long cardio is so good, how come none of those endurance cyclists while lean are not shredded with evident muscularity. Yet, it's the sprinters who look like they are chiseled out of marble ??

Sure the diet is one of the biggest factor when losing fat. But cardio is another big factor. Your statement "DIET not CARDIO is the key" is very true, but check this out...

Here is what research showed:

It has been shown that dieting alone leads to a greater reduction in visceral fat. The Visceral is the fat that protects your internal organs. While you may be losing weight just dieting, your appearance remains the same.

But exercise (lifting) has a been found to have a greater impact on subcutaneous fat. This is the fat that is stored just under our skin. This is the fat that has the biggest impact on the way we look.

The research was done on women. Something to think about.

Another research showed how important is dieting combined with training.

Method Weight loss
Aerobic exercise - 7 pounds
Restricted calorie diet - 17 pounds
Exercise & diet - 20 pounds

This showed that when and if you exercise it served to completely prevent the decline of fat burning. People whom only dieted lost that capacity to burn fat.

also..

"Japanese scientists have discovered that a moderate aerobic exercise program can reduce subcutaneous tissue to a greater extent than diet alone . In contrast, diets appear to have a greater effect on the fat that surrounds the internal organs (known as visceral fat). "

mr sexy

Don Juan
Reaction score
im with you on this, but im on a team at school that at the events has a timed five mile. im also gonna do cross country next year. during the season i was pretty damn cut. i was probably the most cut one on the team. maybe i have an abnormally fast metabolism that works overtime when i do run and workout reguarly. and the thing is we did do long cardio sessions like 5-10 mile runs and i retained the cut.

the point of this is, i think you should put up something for distance running. that is always my worst thing is running. it will kill me to get less than 14 minutes on a two mile run. and im not sure how long on a five. but any ideas about a running program would be nice.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
155 x .85 = 131.75 lbs. of lean body mass

131.75 x 1.1 (assuming you want 10%bf and you don't put on any muscle..) = 145 lbs.

which means you have to lose 10 lbs. of pure body fat to get to 10% b.f.

figuring out your baseline

155 x 1. 2 = 186 grams of carbs = 744 cals

155 x 2 = 310 grams of protein = 1240 cals

30 grams of fat per day = 270 cals

744+1240+270 = 2254

start at 2254 cals then start cutting 150 calories each week

cut 75 cals (about 19 grams from carbs) and 75 cals (about 19 grams from protein) a week till you hit the 1600 mark, and you'll still be hitting 30g fats, 220 grams protein, and 110 grams carbs AT 1600 CALORIES.. CAN YOU SAY NUTRIENT DENSE... then level off doing intense cardio till you hit the 12 week plateau and your'e not a 10% b.f.

this applies for any weight/ body fat .. this was done as an example..

D
Diesel - all in all I've learned a lot from you. Thanks. I just started cutting up, so this couldn't have come at a better time. One thing you have wrong - in your formula for determining weight at a bf%, instead of multiplying the #of lean body mass by 1.1 (for 10% body fat), you should divide by (1-10% bf) or (.9).

The guy weighs 155 x (1-.15) = 155 x (.85) = 131.75 l.b.m.
If he wants to get back to 15% body fat, the way you have it he would need to weigh 131.75 x 1.15 = 151.51
It should be 131.75 / (1-bf) = 131.75 / .85 = 155

Not a big difference, but for somebody who wants maximum performance, this is the way to go.

For the guy you gave advice to, his 10% bf weight should be
131.75 / .9 = 146.4, not 145. Like I said, not a big difference, so if you're just estimating it probably won't matter. But if anybody is following the routine exactly, this is the equation to use.

Thanks again for all the information - you know your sh*t. I'm already seeing some positive results after just 2 weeks.

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I also am trying to lose some weight..i must be about 5'8 and weigh 176 pounds (80kg)...

I want to weigh about 70kg(154 pounds).

So I need to lose 22 pounds or 10kg.

My question is... If I do lots of running at moderate-high intensity 3 times per week for about 30-40 min... + my Kung-fu...and push ups/situps...will this be a good fitness plan?

If I lose this weight doing this method...will I be thin but be all flabby on the gut?

I would go to kung fu for about 5 hrs each week..and I would do as many pushups and situps as I can.

Any advice would help me greatly. I didn't really want to go to a gym...but I don't want to lose all this weight in the form of muscle either...

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have never lifted with weights before, then you probably don't have to worry about as much muscle to lose and the pushups are fine.

But if you have lifted with weights before and you don't apply such a stimulus when you are cutting up, you will most definitely lose muscle.

The amount of cardio there will certainly help you lose fat. Fat loss should be everywhere, it really isn't a spot reduction (like at the gut only).

I think the big reason alot of guys gain weight when they start lifting is that they obviously eat too much, but look at just a number on the scale and themselves in the mirror and think they are packing on tons of muscle. In reality they are packing on fat and muscle at the same time.

Then if they cut and they lose size (because fat adds to your size), they panic that they are losing all their muscle.

Everyone should invest in a bodyfat scale. (Tanita or another)
It will let you know if you are gaining/losing body fat or muscle.

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ricky
If you have never lifted with weights before, then you probably don't have to worry about as much muscle to lose and the pushups are fine.

But if you have lifted with weights before and you don't apply such a stimulus when you are cutting up, you will most definitely lose muscle.

The amount of cardio there will certainly help you lose fat. Fat loss should be everywhere, it really isn't a spot reduction (like at the gut only).

I think the big reason alot of guys gain weight when they start lifting is that they obviously eat too much, but look at just a number on the scale and themselves in the mirror and think they are packing on tons of muscle. In reality they are packing on fat and muscle at the same time.

Then if they cut and they lose size (because fat adds to your size), they panic that they are losing all their muscle.

Everyone should invest in a bodyfat scale. (Tanita or another)
It will let you know if you are gaining/losing body fat or muscle.
That helps me a lot, thanks :)

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it really this easy? If I just eat less, gradually, for 8-12 weeks, I'll lose weight?

Amazing.

(I third that idea).

adonis_bb

Don Juan
Reaction score
I like this post but i feel that you should make l-glutamine a MUST.
I believe it is the bodybuilder's #1 supplement, it is poorly underated. the benefits are absolutely amazing, especially presevation of muscle mass.

i never cut without l-glutamine, it can make a huge difference in keeping your gains from the bulk

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure doing that everyday would lead to a bit of overtraining. Start off at 3 days a week, that's the way I've normally heard of it being done.

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6. Low-carb diets are bullshyt, unless you are on the juice (specifically the cutting drugs) .

They leave you flat, and your workouts/strength will suffer... The carbs to avoid like the plague are the starchy carbs like pasta, white rice, and potatoes
Originally posted by Random Website
Complex carbohydrates are not fattening
This group includes potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, beans, cereals, most vegetables and fruits. These are not fattening at all. They are wonderful for dieters.

In fact they are so good, that experts recommend we get 55 per cent of our calories from them!
http://www.weight-loss-diet-i.com/starchy-carbohydrates.htm

Bullsh!t? First thing i found for on searching.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: GUIDE TO CUTTING UP

Originally posted by Smooth as Anything
http://www.weight-loss-diet-i.com/starchy-carbohydrates.htm

Bullsh!t? First thing i found for on searching.
It is bullshyt. I hate when clueless newbies try to step to me. I gotta waste my time putting your ignorant ass in check.

1. This is not a diet for fat housewives, or sedentary yoms who want to lose weight using some gimmicky bullshyt. There are a million and one ways to lose weight. However, most of that weight will be muscle mass and water, and not a lot of fat.

2. This is a diet for ATHLETES who are training to RETAIN AS MUCH MUSCLE MASS AS POSSIBLE while shedding extra body fat. Still with me?

3. Thus, for the purposes of ATHLETES that train (specifically weight training) LO CARB DIETS ARE BULLSHYT. They deplete glycogen stores and in essence "deflate" the muscle. I..e the muscles aren't "firing" at full efficiency especially when you are going anaerobic (since there is very little if any blood sugar left for energy) and thus you can't push big weight.

4. Starchy carbs are great for bulking up but terrible for the purposes of a "cutting"bodybuilding diet. Why? Not only do they unnecessarily jack your insulin levels, which if not utilized by the body becomes bodyfat, it also causes the body to retain tons of water, thus blurring the "cuts" the cutting diet is trying to bring out.

Do some research next time before you try and call me out. Nice try, though. Thanks for coming out.