Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

GUIDE TO BULKING UP

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jiggapayne, yeah I've heard that too. I just thought it was kinda odd how SHORT these workouts are. If I do legs one day, following this guide that would be about 10 sets of 6. That doesn't take too long, maybe 20 minutes. Are we really supposed to spend another 20 minutes doing warmup sets?

MattB

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got some quick questions

Today I did my routine, chest+back

for the benchpress, i did 3 sets of 8 reps at95pounds
for the firstr two sets, I completed it without any help
for the last set, i needed a little bit of help for the last 2 reps

should I increase my weight on the benchpress next time to a hundred pounds?

secondly, I dont think I am getting enough protein (i eat lots of meat already) and I want to use milk as a supplement. Should I drink skim milk instead of 1% ? The reason for drinking skim milk i that i dont want too gain too much fat cus i will need to cut it down later.

DJ Wez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey this is for people who have smaller frames like myself.

It seems for me, my muscles stop growing pretty quickly (less than a week). I'm tempted to workout each body part more than once a week because of this.

Is there a shorter time needed for people whose muscles aren't as large at the moment, or is the one week rule applicable to everyone in general?

It makes some--though not much--sense that if your body mass is smaller, there wouldn't be as long of a recovery period needed since not as much muscle is being recovered....

Right now I'm still recovering weekly as Diesel recommends.

But let me know if there is any validity in my naive question!

DJ Wez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by jiggapayne
shiftkey, apparently testosterone levels decrease after about an hour or working out, so you should keep the workout under an hour if possible. this is according to anthony ellis' book(check out skinnyguy.net)
Yeah I read the same thing from the Body-for-Life book... which Anthony Ellis endorses, I believe.

My memory's not entirely clear, but it has something to do with cortisone (or maybe some other chemical--I hate science) that supposedly reverses the growth of the muscle.

Again, my memory is faint about this, but I know it is suggested by some to keep workouts @ 45 mins.

Triangulo

Don Juan
Reaction score
????

Diesel, why do you only put 5-7 sets for tris and shoulders? why is chest and back more ? Do these muscles require more exercises to develop?
I have just started the bulkin plan.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MattB
I just got some quick questions

Today I did my routine, chest+back

for the benchpress, i did 3 sets of 8 reps at95pounds
for the firstr two sets, I completed it without any help
for the last set, i needed a little bit of help for the last 2 reps

should I increase my weight on the benchpress next time to a hundred pounds?
Yes. try 100x6, 100x6, 105 x4 next time

secondly, I dont think I am getting enough protein (i eat lots of meat already) and I want to use milk as a supplement. Should I drink skim milk instead of 1% ? The reason for drinking skim milk i that i dont want too gain too much fat cus i will need to cut it down later.
Buy a whey protein powder. Mix it with milk. I use Optimum Nutrition's Pro-Complex (Chocolate flavor) their 100% Whey is not bad either.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ Wez
Hey this is for people who have smaller frames like myself.
No. This is for anyone looking to gain lean muscle mass. Frame size has nothing to do with it.

It seems for me, my muscles stop growing pretty quickly (less than a week).
You are utterly clueless as to how the body works. This is utter and complete hogwash. Please go read Tudor Bompa's "Physiology of Strength Training" immediately.

I'm tempted to workout each body part more than once a week because of this.
Go right ahead, but you'll soon be overtrained and your gains will start to stall.

Is there a shorter time needed for people whose muscles aren't as large at the moment, or is the one week rule applicable to everyone in general?
Generally, if you're lifting to increase muscle mass and are not taking steroids, once a week (assuming you are lifting hard and eating enough) is more than enough stimulation/hypertrophy to achieve significant muscle mass increases over time.

It makes some--though not much--sense that if your body mass is smaller, there wouldn't be as long of a recovery period needed since not as much muscle is being recovered....
It does make a little sense on paper, but in reality it does not work that way... it's not enough of a justification to recommend multiple training sessions in a week for one body part.

Right now I'm still recovering weekly as Diesel recommends.
I know that when you're starting out, you want to be doing bench press and barbell curls every day, but trust me, the iron game is one of extreme patience, dedication, and consistency.

But let me know if there is any validity in my naive question!
Naive, yes. Stupid, no. That's how you learn.

good luck and get huge!

D

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: ????

Originally posted by Triangulo
Diesel, why do you only put 5-7 sets for tris and shoulders?
Because they are relatively small muscle groups and don't really need tons of volume to grow. Short, heavy, intense is the way to make em grow!

why is chest and back more ?
Back is a huge muscle group, Chest is not as big, but big enough to merit the extra volume. These two especially react well to more volume and heavy work with compound, multijoint exercises.

Do these muscles require more exercises to develop?
Not more exercises (as I think there are way more arm exercises than there are back ones..) just more INTENSITY and EFFORT. You can build a superlative back just using Deadlifts, Pull-Ups, and Rowing Movements. Just as you can build an awesome chest on Pressing Movements alone.

I have just started the bulkin plan.
good shyt.

good luck,
D

DJ Wez

Don Juan
Reaction score
DIESEL:

As for whey protein, is it just as good if I took the whey protein BARS--as long as I ingest the proper amount--or stay with the powder mix?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ Wez
DIESEL:

As for whey protein, is it just as good if I took the whey protein BARS--as long as I ingest the proper amount--or stay with the powder mix?
If at all possible, stick with the whey powder.. the protein they use in those "protein bars" is usually ****ty or some serious crap soy filler protein..

D

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Other reasons not to use bars:

1) They are something like 5-10 times more expensive than powder.
2) Most bars have carbs and fat that you don't want post-workout.
3) The carbs and fat in there are usually crappy. Maltodextrin, saturated fat. Its better to drink powder, then have some oatmeal or oil.

As for NLarge...it's kind of a controversial product. It has something like 90 grams of sugar per serving, which is waaaay too much for anything other than post-workout (even then some people say it's way too much). But, it definitely packs on the calories and the weight.

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got a question.
I'm not in a good shape.
I mean when running long distances etc.

I also need to be in good shape when I go to military (you have to go to army here in finland).
So my question is..
What's the best way to get in a good shape while growing muscle mass? I mean I don't want to slow my bulking progress.

DJ Logic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
TERRIBLE ADVICE!

I can't believe this thread is stickied.

No fvcking cardio? :rolleyes: Real nice Diesel. Encourage these young men to become so obsessed with their appearance that they are not concerned about their health.

I feel your pain, people. I used to be the scrawny runt who could never gain weight because of my crazy metabolism. Back in '98 I finally got fed up and started hitting the gym and taking lots of protein/eating a whole lot. After about a year, I bulked up pretty huge and it was nice getting a little extra attention from the ladies. But thats the funny thing. I only got a little extra attention, and it did not help me with my game. Come to think of it, I didn't get laid the whole time I was buff. Looking back on this experience, I must say that nothing compares to the mental high you get when you incorporate some good cardio into your routine.

Sure, cardio will hinder your bulking process, but I think it makes up for that with the sheer rush of endorphins you get which enhance your mood and give you a confidence that muscles can't touch. Not to mention it is HEALTHY!!!!!!!! These days I am no longer buffed out. I run, cycle, weight train and practice Tai Chi. With clothes on you could mistake me for skinny. But I am strong, lean and mean. Always get compliments on my body from the girls I've shagged.

Guys don't listen to this meat-head. Your health is so much more important than getting beefy! A lot of chicks don't even like this muscle-bound look.

If you are thinking of using creatine, then at least be aware of the harmful effects of this new product. Before you shell out your hard-earned cash on poison, read this:

http://www.nutritiondrugsfitness.com/creatineR90.html

My Don Juan brothers, take a look at yourselves and decide why you want to change your body

Bulking up for ladies = AFC
Building strong muscles and healthy body for yourself = DJ

'Nuff said!

DJ Logic

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: TERRIBLE ADVICE!

Originally posted by DJ Logic
I can't believe this thread is stickied.

Believe it, a$$hole.

No fvcking cardio? :rolleyes: Real nice Diesel. Encourage these young men to become so obsessed with their appearance that they are not concerned about their health.

Encourage? Last I checked this is a free country. NO ONE MAKES YOU DO ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DO. I don't anyone to do anything. I simply put down the guidelines to put on natural muscle mass in the fastest way possible.

Learn to fukkin' read before you start putting words in my mouth.

[/b]
I feel your pain, people. I used to be the scrawny runt who could never gain weight because of my crazy metabolism. Back in '98 I finally got fed up and started hitting the gym and taking lots of protein/eating a whole lot. After about a year, I bulked up pretty huge and it was nice getting a little extra attention from the ladies. But thats the funny thing. I only got a little extra attention, and it did not help me with my game. Come to think of it, I didn't get laid the whole time I was buff.
[/b]

When did I ever say being huge would get you laid ? I will say this tho, most chicks like muscles over scrawniness anyday.

Looking back on this experience, I must say that nothing compares to the mental high you get when you incorporate some good cardio into your routine.

You obviously don't squat or deadlift. Also, I think you should read my GUIDE TO CUTTING UP.. it's all about cardio, retard.

Sure, cardio will hinder your bulking process, but I think it makes up for that with the sheer rush of endorphins you get which enhance your mood and give you a confidence that muscles can't touch.

The idiocy of this statement, I think, speaks for itself.

Not to mention it is HEALTHY!!!!!!!!

So is weight training. Probably healthier than straight cardio, too.

I am no longer buffed out.

Somehow, I figure you were never that big to begin with...

I run, cycle, weight train and practice Tai Chi.

Good for you.

With clothes on you could mistake me for skinny.

Yeah, because you probably lift like a girl.

But I am strong, lean and mean.

You are probably none of the three. What is your definition of strong? - trust me, you aren't.. What is your definition of lean? oh yeah, what I would term "skinny fat".... And you're more an idiot than mean.

Always get compliments on my body from the girls I've shagged.

Big deal.. so do I.

Guys don't listen to this meat-head.

Meat-head?? Aren't we getting stereotypical now?? Like I said, who's sounding like the idiot now?

Your health is so much more important than getting beefy!

When did I ever say the "raison d'etre" of our male existence was getting huge, numbnuts? Once again putting words in my mouth... just because you assume that I am an obssessive meathead, doesn't mean that I am.

A lot of chicks don't even like this muscle-bound look.

True. But once again you are using the idiot's assumption that you start lifting and one day you rise out of bed looking like Ronnie Coleman. Please. You are always in control of how you want to look.

If you are thinking of using creatine, then at least be aware of the harmful effects of this new product. Before you shell out your hard-earned cash on poison, read this:

Creatine, poison? Keep talking, idiot.

My Don Juan brothers, take a look at yourselves and decide why you want to change your body

Cause most of the guys posting here for bulking advice want to get bigger and stronger to boost their self-image which will indirectly translate into more success with the ladies.

Bulking up for ladies = AFC
Building strong muscles and healthy body for yourself = DJ

Once again you insult this board by making wild assumptions that the only reason we would ever want to make ourselves bigger and stronger is to shag more girls. You are so full of shyt. Just because that's the reason YOU DID IT, doesn't mean it's the reason I or anyone else does it.

Hey a$$hole, did you ever stop to consider that I MAY ENJOY LIFTING WEIGHTS for the sake of lifting??

No girl is worth the pain one goes through in the gym.

'Nuff said!

Yeah, please...shut the fukk up now.

DJ Logic aka = Low Testosterone Male

DJ Logic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: TERRIBLE ADVICE!

You prove your own meatheadedness with this post, buddy!

Encourage? Last I checked this is a free country. NO ONE MAKES YOU DO ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DO. I don't anyone to do anything. I simply put down the guidelines to put on natural muscle mass in the fastest way possible. Learn to fukkin' read before you start putting words in my mouth.
Encourage does not mean to make someone do something. Pick up a dictionary, my intellectually challenged friend and look that sh!t up! Here, I will even save you the trouble:

encourage: To inspire with hope, courage, or confidence; hearten.

Which is exactly what you are doing with this thread!

When did I ever say being huge would get you laid ? I will say this tho, most chicks like muscles over scrawniness anyday.
Scrawniness is never attractive. But there is such a thing as overdoing it. Eating an unhealthy amount of food and putting all sorts of chemicals in your body...and you call yourself healthy...ha!

You obviously don't squat or deadlift. Also, I think you should read my GUIDE TO CUTTING UP.. it's all about cardio, retard.
I have read both guides and find them to be misleading and based on your own close-minded ignorance.

So is weight training. Probably healthier than straight cardio, too.
I never said one was better than the other, merely pointing out your flawed reasoning that you should not do ANY cardio. Maybe that creatine is messing with your cognitive abilities (um, i'm sorry that's probably too smart for you..funny little creatine make diesel head not think so good)

Somehow, I figure you were never that big to begin with...
Baseless assumption....whatever!

You are probably none of the three. What is your definition of strong? - trust me, you aren't.. What is your definition of lean? oh yeah, what I would term "skinny fat".... And you're more an idiot than mean.
A true sign of someone who talks out of their ass is over-use of the word "probably" You can make all the blind assumptions you want about me, but it doesn't deter from the fact that you are advocating unhealthy behavior, diesel.

Meat-head?? Aren't we getting stereotypical now?? Like I said, who's sounding like the idiot now?
Actually that statement was uncalled for. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, meathead.

Creatine, poison? Keep talking, idiot.
Did you even read the link? Do yourself a favor and type the words "harmful effects of creatine" into google's search engine. You should do a little homework before putting controversial substances in your body, pal. This is by far the worst advice you are giving here. I don't blame you because I know you are just ignorant to the truth. But hey, what do I know? I don't agree with you so I must be an idiot. :rolleyes:

Once again you insult this board by making wild assumptions that the only reason we would ever want to make ourselves bigger and stronger is to shag more girls. You are so full of shyt. Just because that's the reason YOU DID IT, doesn't mean it's the reason I or anyone else does it.
I'd rather insult the board and challenge your bad advice if it will help them find a healthier alternative.

No girl is worth the pain one goes through in the gym.
At least we agree on something

Yeah, please...shut the fukk up now.
What's the matter? I thought high-testosterone males were supposed to enjoy a challenge. Didn't know I was dealing with an over-sensitive wuss-bag. OK, ok I won't post anymore if you are going to be a little b!tch about this.

DJ Logic

Ofus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
DJ Logic,

Its great that you like cardio so much. It can be a good addition to a workout routine. You're right; it does release endorphins and make you feel good. However, this thread isn't about cardio. It is not a discussion about our motivations for improving our bodies. It is not a discussion on the safety of creatine.

This is a guide for bulking up. I know first hand that it is damn good advice because I've tried several routines, and this one has worked best for me.

If you have something useful to contribute, feel free to post your advice here.

DJ Logic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My Bad

You are right Ofus. I should have made my case without name calling and negative comments. Would have been so much easier if I had just asked what people thought instead of imposing my views here. It is a problem I am working on...So much aggresion, I actually think I have too much testosterone! Anyway, my pops always said it takes a real man to admit when he fux up, so I will take this opportunity to apologize to Diesel, who is not a meathead. However, I do still feel the same about creatine and encourage everyone to do their homework before they decide to use it.

I did a little more research on this to see if there is a natural alternative to raise your creatine levels and found out that creatine is found naturally in most meats and fish. Herring is supposed to be one of the richest sources. Still, it is said that you would have to eat 5-10 herring a day to get the same amount, so I can see why this supplement is so popular.

Oh, and another word of warning to those who choose to buy it, check the label and make sure the stuff is domestic. Products coming in from China and other foreign countries have been found to be cut with baking soda and laced with rat hairs!

yecchhhh!
:eek: