Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

GUIDE TO BULKING UP

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Vronski:
By cardio you're not burning a lot of calories. you're doing it for only 15-20 minutes before the workout. This gets your heart going and you will be able to last longer throughout the workout. Calories shouldnt be a problem. Just eat a bit more.

Cals are not the only issue here. You dont want to burn up the glycogen in your muscles before your weight workout. You wont last longer and your performance in the gym will suffer. Of course you can probably drink a high GI carb after your cardio and then hit the weights.

------------------
"Fear is for...getting your confidence." -STEVEN HELLER, PhD

"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious!" - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

Vronski

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Viroid:

Cals are not the only issue here. You dont want to burn up the glycogen in your muscles before your weight workout. You wont last longer and your performance in the gym will suffer. Of course you can probably drink a high GI carb after your cardio and then hit the weights.
If you are planning to workout using only the glycogen from muscles, then you wont get far. There is a very low amount of glycogen there, so in any case, you'll need glycogen from your liver to break down and for sugar to form and reach your muscles. Also you'll need all the sugar from digestive system you can get to go to muscles. To do all this, you neen insreased heart rate and blood flow, thats where running before the workout kicks in. Also, if you ate light carbs before the workout you're gonna have a constant supply of glucose to your blood stream and you'll be able to train on full.

------------------
_-=/Comrade Vronski\=-_

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Vronski:
If you are planning to workout using only the glycogen from muscles, then you wont get far.

Thats not my point...If you want the most muscle for your effort, its best to train with full glycogen stores.

There is a very low amount of glycogen there, so in any case, you'll need glycogen from your liver

Glycogen comes from glucose, not the liver. And glucose can go striaght to the muscle cells and be converted (by glcogenesis) into glycogen.

To do all this, you neen insreased heart rate and blood flow,

No you dont. It happens everyday regardless if you increase heart rate.

Also, if you ate light carbs before the workout you're gonna have a constant supply of glucose to your blood stream and you'll be able to train on full.

I already said that in last post.

------------------
"Fear is for...getting your confidence." -STEVEN HELLER, PhD

"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious!" - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

JDeezy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo DIESEL

does tha system work if ur 14 cuz i heard if u lift or anything like that b4 ur done growing that somehow it stunts ur growth

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally didn't start lifting til I was 16.... one way to know for sure is to go get your growth plates X-rayed by your doctor.. to see how tall you are going to be, and if they have gotten there yet.

I'm sorry, I can't answer your question better. For the time being, you can start going to the gym and doing body weight only exercises such as pull ups, push ups, and other calisthenics.

D

aznbreakerjrey

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Arrite, I don't have access to a weight system, and don't have the financial means to join the local Y, but I do have a pair of barbells with 20lbs of weight on each. Would you consider this a decent workout for bulking up:

Chest - Pushups, Wide angle pushups, diamond pushups
Back - Pullups
Legs - Squats while carrying the dumbells
Tris - Dips
Delts - I can do military presses with barbells right?
Traps - DB Shrugs

I want to start a workout routine, so most likely it will consist of working out twice a week and perhaps playing basketball twice a week in addition to that.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are going to have to get "ghetto" and make your own weights out of household junk.

For example take some empty milk plastic milk gallons and fill them with a heavy liquid (or water if you must) and use them as dumbbells.

But other than that - your plan sounds good. Although you will outgrow the benefits in a few months. If you want to get big, you are going to have to find a way to get a hold of big weight to properly stimulate the muscles.

D

bman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
check the local newspaper, a lot of the time theres people selling old weight benches or even giving them away for free. anyone should be able to afford $25-50 and if you cant you can always talk them down in price because they most likely will want to get rid of it.

bman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by photo 1
1)Protein: 1.3-1.5g / # of body weight
Carbs: 2-3g/ # of body weight
Fat .33 - .5g / # of body weight

what does this mean? i dont understand what the # stands for and how
you calculate?

take protein for example. we'll say 1.4. times that by your body weight. if you weigh 200 pounds that will give you 1.4x200= 180 grams of protein throughout the day.

2) What is flax oil?

flax seed oil. its an oil used for cooking and its very healthy for you, check your local gnc.

3)What is whey?

its a type of protein. its supposed to work better than other proteins such as soy.

4) Where do i find creatine and dextrose?

GNC or any other similiar stores.

7) You also need to explain a bit better the specifics of what each
excercise involves

get a book they go into detail on exercises. if you dont have the $ try the library.

9)And what is "cardio"?

exercises that get your heart pumping such as running.

Just some questions i need cleared up before starting this routine

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright photo let's see if I can fill in the blanks bman left empty, so we're all on the same page.

Originally posted by photo 1
Ok, looks like a great post diesel but you need to clarify a few things
for me, as im not american and frankly dont understand half of this
post.

1)Protein: 1.3-1.5g / # of body weight
Carbs: 2-3g/ # of body weight
Fat .33 - .5g / # of body weight

what does this mean? i dont understand what the # stands for and how
you calculate?
Take your weight in kgs and multiply it by 2.2 - THAT'S YOUR WEIGHT IN POUNDS - then take that and multiply it by, say 1.5g/ per pound. So if you weigh 200lbs. (about 90kg) then you multiply it by 1.5 -

200 x 1.5 = 300g of protein. clear so far?

2) What is flax oil?
Flax IS NOT a cooking oil. It tastes terrible!! It is a good source of EFA (essential fatty acids - the good fat that your body uses to protect against heartdisease and to keep it in an "anabolic" - i.e.conducive to muscle growth - state) You should take it in a spoon straight from the bottle and then chase it with something. It has a bitter after taste.

3)What is whey?
derived from dairy products, whey is the highest, quickest, biologically available protein available to the body.

4) Where do i find creatine and dextrose?
Your best bet is the internet. Run a search, but make sure to check if the shipping charges abroad negate the value you get from buying from a wholesaler. Dextrose can also be found on the internet, or any wine supply store.

5)what does MRP stand for?
Meal Replacement Product. Such as a ready to drink protein shake that has a complete nutritional profile - proteins, carbs, vitamins, minerals, everything!! . EAS Myoplex or Met-Rx are good examples of an MRP

6)Under training of your body, 4-6 sets of WHAT?

7) You also need to explain a bit better the specifics of what each
excercise involves
sounds like you're a rank beginner. check out www.exrx.net. It has animation on all the exercises you need. Buy Arnold Schwarzenegger's Complete Modern Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding for a thorough intro to weight training

8) What is CLA?
Conjugated Linoleic Acid - another essential fatty acid that's a good supplement to take if you can afford it. I would say it's optional for a beginner.

9)And what is "cardio"?
cardiovascular, aerobic type exercise. Running, cycling, rowing, cross-country skiing..etc..

Just some questions i need cleared up before starting this routine

IM NOT AMERICAN - I DONT UNDERSTAND SOME OF YOUR MUMBO JUMBO!
hope that helps.

good luck,
D

stuartSan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DIESEL, I've just started hitting the gym and was wondering if breaking my sessions into smaller ones like 3 sets a day of 12 repetitions for my arms, abs and legs, four times a week would yield similiar results as your advice to doing 4-10+ sets, once a week.

I need to go to the gym because I just found out that it helps me from being lethargic halfway through the day, so I don't take a nap and screw up my sleep during bedtime.

war_eagle

Don Juan
Reaction score
DIESEL, how many repetitions should I aim for with exercises like calf raises and wrist curls?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by stuartSan
DIESEL, I've just started hitting the gym and was wondering if breaking my sessions into smaller ones like 3 sets a day of 12 repetitions for my arms, abs and legs, four times a week would yield similiar results as your advice to doing 4-10+ sets, once a week.

I need to go to the gym because I just found out that it helps me from being lethargic halfway through the day, so I don't take a nap and screw up my sleep during bedtime.
the point of 1 time a week, is to blast them hard, then let them rest.

Why can't you do different body parts each time you go to the gym.

What you are suggesting is to work each body part 4 times a week with a lighter weight. If you are lifting for mass, that isn't going to really do you much good.

Your lethargy could have something to do with what you are eating. Lay off the high-glycemic carbs at lunchtime !! You'll see how your energy level will pop right back up.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by war_eagle
DIESEL, how many repetitions should I aim for with exercises like calf raises and wrist curls?
Calf training is all about going as hellaciously heavy as possible. That is the most stubborn muscle group there is.

My calves suck. It's ****ty genetics, I guess. I envy Asian dudes! They all seem to have naturally great calves!! Anyway, I tend to follow the Schwarzenegger/Poliquin school of calf training, because it's the only method that's put size on my calves.

On the standing calf raises - go ultra heavy, then hold the contraction for a 2 count at the top and hold the stretch at the bottom for a 2 count. Find a weight where you can only do about 6-8 reps. Once you hit failure drop the weight and keep going with the same 2 pause at the up and 2 pause at the down.. continually dropping weight until you get to 50 reps total. Repeat 2-3 times. It's fukkin' vicious.

On the seated calf raises - it's all about reps!! That part of the calf is primarily slow-twitch muscle, so to work it, you really need to burn it out. Basically your set should last a MINIMUM of 45 seconds. So aim to find a weight that is light enough that you can do reps for 45 secs but where you fill at around the minute mark. When you can do more than a minute without your calves wanting to blow up on you, then you know it's time to up the weight. Also very painful.. Repeat 2-3 times

I like to do calves 2 times a week.

For forearms - also go heavy. Reverse standing wrist curls - emphasize the top and bottom.... and bench wrist curls as well...go as heavy as your wrists will allow you to with good form. However, because the forearm muscle is so dense, you have to up the reps a bit. aim for 8-12 reps rather than the normal 4-7.. Forearm work should be done on arm day, after biceps.

D

stuartSan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL
Your lethargy could have something to do with what you are eating. Lay off the high-glycemic carbs at lunchtime !! You'll see how your energy level will pop right back up.
Alright I'm not really good in food groups and health related stuff, do let me know what high-glycemic carbs are.

FYI, I usually have either beef noodles or rice with random food servings during lunch, which is what they have at the restaurant nearest to my college.

LilJuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
D,

This is a good thread man. I have some questions too. My first one is...

5. Each body part is trained once a week. The following are the max sets you should be doing a week. per body part.Chest: no more than 10 work sets
Back: 10 sets
Legs: 10 sets
Bis: 4-6 sets
Tris: 5- 7 sets
Delts: 4-6 sets
Traps: 4 sets
Calves, Abs, Forearms (can be done 2x week - 6-10 sets)

I thought that you were supposed drop the reps, between 4-7. If you only work one muscle a week, you are supposed to do 10 sets at a time? I'd have to put 100lbs on bench to do 10 sets of 5 or 6. :confused:

You said that sleep is important for muscle growth. I was reading in the new Muscle&Fitness Mag, they have a section about hardgainers and talks about how its diet diet diet, they also state that sleep my hinder muscle growth and sleep isnt as important as once thought. I didnt read the whole article since i was thumbing through it at the store. What are your thoughts on this? Just curious.

I talked to a friend of mine who is the physical coordinator for the police department here in town, since I am going to be getting hired on this fall bulking is not just something I want to do its somthing I need. He said almost verbatem(sp?)the things you have mentioned on your thread. Unfortunately with his work and teaching and working off duty schedule he isnt going to get to spend as much time setting up my workouts as he'd like. So i am more on my own that originally planned. The one thing he said differently was he said for me, he would recommend a full body workout evey workout and not just one muscle group, however I never got around to ask him why. I also asked about cardio , he said that anymore that 10-15 minutes is starting to waste calorlies/energy needed to lift. He said that it takes the body about that long of being at your target heart rate to start burning calories. any thoughts on this?

I am 5'9 and float between 158-168lbs depending on how much I eat. Lately its been between 163-168lbs. I consider myself to have a small build and I hate it, and have finally decided to do something about it. I eat spuradically(sp?) and when I do, I eat alot. I normally dont eat breakfast, but started eating two pieces of toast with peanut butter on them last week and I was suprised how much more energy I had in the morning just from that. I have a gut, I cant believe it. To much beer I guess. I was running to try and slim down but after reading your posts I understand that trying to loose fat and bulk up is next to impossible.

One last thing, have you ever been to www.skinnyguy.net He talks about the same things you do and has made a program that focuses on diet and hard lifting. I considered getting the program because I am lost at what to eat, when and such and having guidelines would really help me. A friend I talk to on the net got his program and has gainded almost 30 pounds. I havent talked to him in a while but I remember him saying he is eating constantly. I apologize for this being so long, I just had some questions. Thank you.

Last edited:

atomsk

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by LilJuan
D,

I thought that you were supposed drop the reps, between 4-7. If you only work one muscle a week, you are supposed to do 10 sets at a time? I'd have to put 100lbs on bench to do 10 sets of 5 or 6. :confused:
I was wondering the same thing, I get too tired to keep it up for 10 sets. Could you post a sample day, like back day for example?

Reaction score
Yo D

What do you think about hard-gainers using Bow-Flex?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by stuartSan
Alright I'm not really good in food groups and health related stuff, do let me know what high-glycemic carbs are.

FYI, I usually have either beef noodles or rice with random food servings during lunch, which is what they have at the restaurant nearest to my college.
basically all junk food, pasta/noodles, breads and or anything made with enriched flour, fruit juices, certain fruits, and non-diet sodas are all on the high-glycemic index carb list.

high-glycemic carbs are those are closest in molecular structure to glucose and thus broken down by the body almost immediately, provoking a rapid insulin response, followed by the crash when your body's blood sugar level drops from its elevated state. (hence the drowsy, sluggish feeling)

At lunchtime, go easy on the carbs, and you'll notice the difference in energy level.

D

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by LilJuan
D,

This is a good thread man. I have some questions too. My first one is...

5. Each body part is trained once a week. The following are the max sets you should be doing a week. per body part.Chest: no more than 10 work sets
Back: 10 sets
Legs: 10 sets
Bis: 4-6 sets
Tris: 5- 7 sets
Delts: 4-6 sets
Traps: 4 sets
Calves, Abs, Forearms (can be done 2x week - 6-10 sets)

No. You work your whole body over the course of a week. The major muscle groups like Legs and Back should be done individually on their own day. Chest can either be done alone or in combination with Shoulders. Arms should be done alone too.

My current split

Day 1: Legs
Day 2: Back
Day 3: Chest/Delts
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Arms
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

For chest, you don't do 10 sets of bench press, and it's impossible to maintain the same weight/reps with the same intensity for 10 sets. Ever heard of fatigue?

You said that sleep is important for muscle growth. I was reading in the new Muscle&Fitness Mag, they have a section about hardgainers and talks about how its diet diet diet, they also state that sleep my hinder muscle growth and sleep isnt as important as once thought. I didnt read the whole article since i was thumbing through it at the store. What are your thoughts on this? Just curious.
You shouldn't read "Muscle and Fiction" .. every month they basically contradict something they said 2 issues earlier. It's bullshyt, and you'll end up getting very confused. Also, remember they have an agenda to push and supplements to sell. They are debunking the sleep myth because the new rage in the supplement industry are these so called "nighttime" proteins that keep pumping proteins into the muscle while you sleep. Utter bullshyt. Read www.t-mag.com instead.. they sell supplements too, but they won't bullshyt you nearly as much.

If you're bulking, you need to sleep and rest. That's where the bulk of your muscle growth comes in.

I talked to a friend of mine who is the physical coordinator for the police department here in town, since I am going to be getting hired on this fall bulking is not just something I want to do its somthing I need. He said almost verbatem(sp?)the things you have mentioned on your thread. Unfortunately with his work and teaching and working off duty schedule he isnt going to get to spend as much time setting up my workouts as he'd like. So i am more on my own that originally planned. The one thing he said differently was he said for me, he would recommend a full body workout evey workout and not just one muscle group, however I never got around to ask him why. I also asked about cardio , he said that anymore that 10-15 minutes is starting to waste calorlies/energy needed to lift. He said that it takes the body about that long of being at your target heart rate to start burning calories. any thoughts on this?
That's not good advice. If you're trying to bulk up you want to hit the muscle as hard as possible then let it recover over the course of the week so you can hit it again even harder the following week. By doing 4 total body workouts a week you don't let the muscles do that.

I am 5'9 and float between 158-168lbs depending on how much I eat. Lately its been between 163-168lbs. I consider myself to have a small build and I hate it, and have finally decided to do something about it. I eat spuradically(sp?) and when I do, I eat alot. I normally dont eat breakfast, but started eating two pieces of toast with peanut butter on them last week and I was suprised how much more energy I had in the morning just from that. I have a gut, I cant believe it. To much beer I guess. I was running to try and slim down but after reading your posts I understand that trying to loose fat and bulk up is next to impossible.
Lose the fat first. Then bulk up.

One last thing, have you ever been to www.skinnyguy.net He talks about the same things you do and has made a program that focuses on diet and hard lifting. I considered getting the program because I am lost at what to eat, when and such and having guidelines would really help me. A friend I talk to on the net got his program and has gainded almost 30 pounds. I havent talked to him in a while but I remember him saying he is eating constantly. I apologize for this being so long, I just had some questions. Thank you.
Damn. I should put up my own website and charge for my advice!! Look man, this stuff isn't rocket science. If you stop reading all the bullshyt in the magazines and step back and think about it for awhile, it becomes very clear.

BTW, Anthony Ellis originally got famous as being one of the original EAS "Body for Life" winners back in 1997.

D