Get BACK to basics...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Espi, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Espi

Espi Master Don Juan

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/es....jpg.html?o=11 (November 3rd, 2014)

There is no place worth going that requires a shortcut.

–Anonymous

After legs, back is the most neglected body part.

Why? Well, most people assume building the back not the worth the time or effort. Most men seem to think, “Chicks appreciate nice arms, chest, and abs, so why even bother working out my back?”

After all, girls don’t actually focus on your back, right?

Mistake!

A thick, powerful back is essential for creating that much-coveted “v” tapered physique, making your shoulders appear wider and your waist smaller, and most of us know that women like men with broad shoulders and a small waist.

Nothing beats the deadlift when it comes to widening and thickening the back, but I want to focus on another exercise that most of you are likely avoiding: the pull-up.

Next to deadlift, pulls are the most effective, but, sadly, the most neglected, back exercise. How many guys do you see in your gym performing pull-ups versus lat machine pulldowns? In gyms across America, chances are you will wait in line to the use that lat machine, while the pull-up bar remains devoid of all users.

Why?

Simple: machines are easy, and (like deads and squats) pulls are damn hard. BACK EXERCISE MACHINES ARE SHORTCUTS. The other reason guys avoid pull-ups is they’re embarrassed. Most of us, myself included, could do a measly two to three reps when first starting out. That’s pretty humbling. On the lat machine, however, I could churn churn out 10-12 reps using 100 + lbs. of weight.

I was not getting much result using the lat machine, and one day I finally accepted the fact that in order to build my back, I was going to have to work hard for it, and for me that meant deadlifting and pulling.

If you want a nice back, AVOID the lat pulldown machine and start using the pullup bar. Your strength will increase QUICKLY if you stick with pullups.

If you’re like I was and can’t perform more than a few reps, start with reverse grips (palms facing you)…you’ll work your arms more, but you will increase your back strength. Each week, as your strength increases, perform 1 of 3-4 sets with palms facing away. THAT is when you will start to notice muscles forming across the upper portion of your back.

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/espi1971/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps2aa4fe76.jpg.html?o=11

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Warboss Alex

Warboss Alex Master Don Juan

awesome, awesome post. :D :up: :rockon:

the back is sorely neglected whereas it's gonna do MORE for an aesthetic physique than anything else.. even squats!

3. Espi

Espi Master Don Juan

I agree...I regard squats as a great exercise due to their ability to form lower and upper body muscular development and strength, but a wide, thick back will form an aesthetic, "3-dimensional" type of physique that will turn heads.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  4. Teflon_Mcgee

Teflon_Mcgee Master Don Juan

And don't forget, make those pull-ups wide baby!!! (Actually, vary your grip.)

Also add weighted pull-ups.

Every once in a while, if I've been a good boy, I'll spend an entire lifting session just doing pull-ups. It's one of my favorite workouts!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Charm&Style

Charm&Style Master Don Juan

Good sh!t bro...

for the pull ups, how bout the one machine that helps you do em, the one that takes weight off making it easier to do a pull up.

Is it coo to start with that and work up to doing pull ups without help?

6. Warboss Alex

Warboss Alex Master Don Juan

yes, it's fine - your strength should go up quickly.

7. Vintovka

Vintovka Don Juan

Alright, I'm convinced, gonna get some pipe/flanges and put one in a doorway.

8. Espi

Espi Master Don Juan

Yes, definitely..I am remiss in not pointing that out intially...the assisted pullup machine is a great way to form strength (definitely better than the lat machine), but I would encourage you to 'test out" your strength on the actual pullup bar after a few weeks...don't become addicted to the machine...if anything, ask someone to assist you on actual pullups...unlike bench, etc., the pullup spotter need not be highly knowledgeable in order to assist...he just has to give you little boost on the up.

9. Espi

Espi Master Don Juan

I have heard that's exactly what inmates do in their cell to increase their strength, and you and I know can only imagine how strong you have to be in order to survive in prison.

10. Charm&Style

Charm&Style Master Don Juan

...you must have an ass of steel

...:nervous:

11. spesmilitis

spesmilitis Master Don Juan

What about people like me who can do 20-25 reps of pull ups? I want my # of reps to be no more than 7-8.

I tried weighing myself down with a weightbelt with a chain (attatch the weight to the chain), but the weight jerks around a lot.

Any other ways to weigh my self down?

12. Vintovka

Vintovka Don Juan

Maybe not enough weight, but get a used scuba belt?

13. WesCottII

WesCottII Master Don Juan

Good point, but I can do 3 sets of 10 pretty easily. Should I do more sets/reps? It's pretty hard to get a weight belt....

14. Vintovka

Vintovka Don Juan

Pawn shops and craigslist, I see scuba stuff on cl semi-frequently.

15. cuzza

cuzza Senior Don Juan

Could you not just hold a dumbell between your feet? I can understand it could get a bit harder if you're using REALLY heavy ones... I'd assume most people wouldn't be going that heavy though.

16. Teflon_Mcgee

Teflon_Mcgee Master Don Juan

Go to your local outdoor/camping store. Buy 10ft of nylon webbing ($2 maybe) and a carabiner. Viola! I'll leave it to you to engineer the design but this is what I've used for years (being as I always seem to have climbing ear around.)

You're going much to fast. Pull-ups are meant to be slow so you can REALLY enjoy them. Go up sloooowly, pause at the top, go down sloooooowly, arms FULLY extended, pause, repeat. Don't be one of those idiots who crank out 25 "pulls-ups" in 5 seconds and don't even go through a full range. SLOW and CONTROLLED. All the way down, all the way up.

Between your knees with a light enough weight. I wouldn't recommend it for pull-ups though. This is my improv method for weighted dips, though it kind of sucks cause you can't go past 45lbs.

The assist machine is great. IF I'm just going for a targeted # of reps (usually 150 on my pull-up days) I'll do unassisted pullups until I can only do 1-2 per set with 1-2 min between sets. Then I hop on the machine with the lightest weight that allows me to crank out 5 -10. Rinse and repeat.

17. donjuanjovi

donjuanjovi Senior Don Juan

Excellent post man. Deads are by far my favourite exercise.

18. cuzza

cuzza Senior Don Juan

Erm why can't you?

19. EFFORT

EFFORT Master Don Juan

Buy yourself a dip belt to hang weight from

20. spesmilitis

spesmilitis Master Don Juan

I want to do my pullups explosivly, same way pride heavy weight campion fedor emelianko does em, if you saw that documentary. He does the whole range of motion and everything. I'm a grappler, so I want explosive strength like that.

I'll still do weighted pullups cuz lat pull downs are probably even worse. But I still would like a way to put some extra weight on which won't jerk.