Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Fat Loss (while still gaining muscle)

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I weigh around 180lbs and do 30 minutes of past-paced walking at an incline with a target HR around 128-132. I was told that for my weight this is optimal fat burning and will help in my goals of six-pack and the lean ripped look. Does that sound about right? Would doing 45 minutes make a bigger impact or should I stick with 30 for a 6 weeks, then bump it?

I noticed after around 30 minutes the treadmill says I burnt 200 calories vs when I ran at a fast pace I used to burn 450 calories in the same amount of time but was probably burning muscle?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
milk has a lot of simple sugar which violates a strict carb cutoff. and WBA & some others insist that it causes bloating.

on the other hand, the casein protein will stay with you all night, and some of us sleep more restfully after a glass of milk.

weigh the costs/benefits for yourself. or try it both ways & decide.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
Can you just replace the milk with soy?
Do you drink milk at all?
What about non-fat milk?
I have a splash of (whatever) milk if I have a cup of black tea but since I only really drink white tea these days that's not an issue.

The issue with milk is not the fat per say (in fact the fat makes it a slightly lesser evil) but the milk sugars therein. So non-fat milk is just as bad.

Soy milk is, well, soy. And its nutritional profile is worse than milk. So no.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WA, how about my goals on fat loss? Is 45 minutes going to bring that awesome six pack out more quickly than 30? Where is the cutoff :)

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
I weigh around 180lbs and do 30 minutes of past-paced walking at an incline with a target HR around 128-132. I was told that for my weight this is optimal fat burning and will help in my goals of six-pack and the lean ripped look. Does that sound about right? Would doing 45 minutes make a bigger impact or should I stick with 30 for a 6 weeks, then bump it?

I noticed after around 30 minutes the treadmill says I burnt 200 calories vs when I ran at a fast pace I used to burn 450 calories in the same amount of time but was probably burning muscle?
Yes, the running probably cost you some muscle. How long have you been doing 30 minutes? If you're losing fat this way then stick with it, when progress stalls bump it to 45 mins.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
WA, how about my goals on fat loss? Is 45 minutes going to bring that awesome six pack out more quickly than 30? Where is the cutoff :)
gimme a chance mate, I'm not bionic! lol. I replied.

Personally I'd like to see your whole diet/stats before making more comments though.

Macca

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm...I've just read a book on this fat loss thing (the Schwarzbein Principle), it all seems quite easy to me. Apparently a balanced diet of proteins, fats and carbs is all one needs! Non-starchy vegetables, butters, eggs, fish, white meat, red meat. Limiting insulin resistance is the goal for fat loss, and muscle gain.

See only takes one paragraph! Do the above, run 30 minutes 4-5 times a week and you'll be as toned as a football player...obviously for weight training the intake will have to increase BUT DON'T CHANGE THE BALANCE!!!

Last edited:

Durden Tyler

Don Juan
Reaction score
Macca said:
Hmm...I've just read a book on this fat loss thing (the Schwarzbein Principle), it all seems quite easy to me. Apparently a balanced diet of proteins, fats and carbs is all one needs! Non-starchy vegetables, butters, eggs, fish, white meat, red meat. Limiting insulin resistance is the goal for fat loss, and muscle gain.

See only takes one paragraph! Do the above, run 30 minutes 4-5 times a week and you'll be as toned football player...obviously for weight training the intake will have to increase BUT DON'T CHANGE THE BALANCE!!!
And WB Alex makes it sound so confusing :D

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm what is your max heart rate? you can base your aerobic workout intensity based on a a % of MHR for a specific duration.

In general intensity between 60-70% of max HR, burn the most relative % of fat, but a higher intensity will burn more overall calories, despite the requirement for more CHO in the the metabolic fire at higher (80% MHR intensity), thats why interval training is more effective as you burn more TOTAL calories.

Macca

Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:

Charm, you need to eat foods that contribute towards muscle repair and cell building etc - fats and protiens. Running doesn't cause muscle wastage, lack of muscle building foods do - your exercising highlights your body's deficit! Balanced diet like I said in my previous post. Don't get hung up on calories as our bodies are more complex then numbers suggest. Numbers cause problems, it's a pity scales don't tell you how much fat and muscle one has lost!

When you ingest good fats and proteins your body uses them for cell repair and hormone production such has serotonin. Eat good natural foods with moderate exercise equals feeling good and looking good!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Matt234 said:
I wondered if soy really is a helpful substitute for milk or protein? Anyone have additional information?
no it isn't. it's bigged up as a health food (just like milk) but it's far from that.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the concern with soy is whether or not it promotes an estrogen-like response in humans. the research is completely mixed on this subject. until / unless this is resolved, it is desirable to rely on other sources of protein for most of your consumption.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WA

My diet:
Multivitamin + Fish Oil + 2 Glucosamine Pills
Breakfast 7am: 6 egg whites, 1 yoke. 2 cups of oatmeal with 1/2 tablespoon of brows sugar and a splash of 2% milk.
10AM: Muscle Milk protein shake and an apple or banana
12NOON:Two chicken breasts and a vegetable (green beans, tomatoes, etc)
3PM: Muscle Milk Protien Shake + Lowfat Cottage Cheese
5PM: GYM - Nitric Oxide
7PM: Steak or chicken breasts with vegetables
10PM: Muscle Milk Protien Blend mixed with Glutamine powder

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
WA

My diet:
Multivitamin + Fish Oil + 2 Glucosamine Pills
Breakfast 7am: 6 egg whites, 1 yoke. 2 cups of oatmeal with 1/2 tablespoon of brows sugar and a splash of 2% milk.
MAKE IT 3-4 WHOLE EGGS
10AM: Muscle Milk protein shake and an apple or banana
12NOON:Two chicken breasts and a vegetable (green beans, tomatoes, etc)
3PM: Muscle Milk Protien Shake + Lowfat Cottage Cheese
NEED CARBS PRE-WORKOUT
5PM: GYM - Nitric Oxide
NEED CARBS POST-WORKOUT
7PM: Steak or chicken breasts with vegetables
10PM: Muscle Milk Protien Blend mixed with Glutamine powder
Is this for fat loss? I doubt whether the Muscle milk sugars and the dairy is doing you any favours if so.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Is this for fat loss? I doubt whether the Muscle milk sugars and the dairy is doing you any favours if so.
No not for any major fat loss. My bodyfat is at 9% right now. Im looking to gain lean muscle while building a defined sixpack.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
No not for any major fat loss. My bodyfat is at 9% right now. Im looking to gain lean muscle while building a defined sixpack.
you're at 9% and have no sixpack?

edit: if you are truly at 9% and have no sixpack then your abs need development so work on them. also see my comment about really lean guys trying to lean out more. if you want to get down lower then you'll have to follow a pre-contestesque diet in which muscle can be built while stripping the fat but only a small amount. my hunch is that you'd be better off trying to gain some mass right now while keeping bodyfat sensible.

In which case your diet has to change: 1-2 red meat meals a day minimum, more raw eggs, more carbs and calories in general.

guayaballer

Don Juan
Reaction score
im not sure aboutt the cardio 45 mins 6x a week part. i heard u cant build a six pack off of running a mile everyday so how would 45 mins of walking help? do i have to walk fast or normal walking and how long would it take to see results im not in any real rush i just want to know a reasonable amount of time i should try this just incase it doesnt work for me like going from 14% to 10% or 9%

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
guayaballer said:
i heard u cant build a six pack off of running a mile everyday so how would 45 mins of walking help?
yes, you 'heard'. have you ever tried it? I heard that the earth was square - doesn't make it true!

45 mins of walking 6x a week is enough to get competitive bodybuilders shredded, and they're even more ripped than sprinters.

A brisk pace is one which is not slow but not too fast you're panting or can't hold a conversation while you're walking.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As long as I am still around I will put in a word for my man here:

Alex is THE sh1t when it comes to weight lifting and taking care of your physical body. This guy KNOWS his stuff. I have been lifting on and off for over 3 years and have done everything - skinnyguy, different routines, thousands (millions?) of reps on various exercises.

I have only started growing LIKE I DREAMT ALL ALONG after following his program. I went from 145 to 180 in a semester at school.

Stick with it guys. Listen to what he says. While I disagree with some stuff (I drink milk and booze but that's my way) his sh1t is spot on.

If you are not growing - you are not eating enough. Period.
If you are not getting stronger and progressing weights every two weeks, you are not going heavy enough. Most lifters lift BELOW their limit because they don't know where the limits are.
If you have a choice- go with the old weight or risk going for the heavier weight..and you are sh1tting your pants because you don't think you can go heavier ... GO HEAVIER. You can do it. Yes you can.
Do not make this your life. I have gave up drinking for a year, had perfect meals and didn't eat home cooked meals....for ME that was stupid.
Now I go and drink once every two weeks.. eat what my mom cooks when I'm home (and enjoy it a helluva more than a shake) and have fast food once in awhile when i'm in a hurry.

Good luck.