Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Exercise and diet plan

Roober

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, been good about finally hitting the gym and dieting. Dieting is probably my weak point, but I feel I am at a point where I can really maintain right now regardless if I throw crap in here and there...

STATS: I am 6'1" at about 194lbs, probably sitting about 15-18% bodyfat (I can see abs, but still have love handles and weight elsewhere) Pic here

My current stats...
bench - 170 - had to drop recently to fix my form cause of shoulder pain
OH shoulder press - 120
deadlift - 195
squat - 215 (I failed last week. Felt completely wiped out)
barbell row - 150

DIET: I wake up at 4am for work, so my typical diet includes...

-AM protein shake - 2 scoops whey + 12 oz 2% milk
-Breakfast around 7am - 1cup plain greek yogurt, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 tbsp agave nectar, sometimes I will throw in some granola
-Snacks at work - banana, apple, mandarin oranges, and two cheese sticks

-Lunch - varies widely.. usually chicken and spinach salad (cranberries, gorgonzola, walnuts, homemade sweet sesame dressing) OR ham and cheese sandwich

-PM protein shake after workout

-Dinner - all over... fast food probably 1 night per week, hawaiian bbq (aloha plate with chicken, no mac), and scratch-cooked home meals the remainder. For example, last week I had homemade baked ziti with broccoli and garlic bread 2 nights, and chicken pot pie soup 2 nights

EXERCISE:
4 days seems to be my sweet spot. I workout after work at 3pm

Day 1 - Mon
10 min walking on treadmill to loosen up
Chest 15-20 sets, bench, incline dumbbell, other misc. exercises
Abs - planks, obliques, windshield wipers, tons of different ab workouts...
Finish with 3 sets of pushups till failure

Day 2 - Tues
Back 15-20 sets, barbell row, seated row, lat pulldown, shrugs, etc.... Usually 5 different workouts
Finish with 3 sets of pullups till failure
*think I could trickle in some squats here?

Day 3 - day off

Day 4 - Thurs
Shoulders 15-20 sets, military press, then 4 other workouts (front raise, lateral raise, dumbbell shoulder press, etc.)
Abs - a couple sets, varies widely
*thinking about adding weighted dips here?

Day 5 - Fri (sometimes Sat)
Legs - squats, deadlifts, calf raises, then whatever else I have time for...

So, I would like to get to 10-12% bodyfat. I have been on this routine solidly since about mid-Feb. Before this, I was about 2-3 days per week for the last year, occasionally taking weeks off. I have worked out more in the last 6 months than ever in my life... i.e. I have never really lifted weights in my life...

For the questions...
1. Can I incorporate cardio if I am trying to bulk? Feel like I should add something on the weekends. Starting Muay Thai and possibly Jui Jitsu on Sunday. Also doing some runs, which I need to train for (bay to breakers and Spartan run)
2. Should I go for high carb lunch and high protein dinner? My normal diet (2 protein shakes, yogurt, cheesesticks, and fruit adds up to about 160g protein, 140g carb, and 1400 cal). I am thinking a big lunch will give me more energy for workouts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

resilient

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Roober, I'm confused. You want to bulk, yet you want to lose the body fat. If you're trying to get to 10-12% from the 15-18% bodyfat, you'll need some high intensity interval training (HIIT) or ciruit training to enhance cardiovascular fitness. I saw your pic, you're not bad right now, just work on toning more and work off some of that belly fat around the waste so your six-pack becomes more defined. Personally, I would substitute the 2% milk for hemp or almond milk. Great sources of protein, low carb, omega 3,6, vit. b12.

For my fitness goals, I'm 5'8", 142lbs, 6.4% bf, so I'm working on bulking up 20-40 pounds using Kris Gethin's 12 week hardcore training program for free on bodybuilding.com.

I'm following Kris's nutrition guide mostly. I like to make a pre-workout shake before 3pm, so I'm ready to work out in the gym by 4:30~5:00PM.

In my shake I include:
-Little ice
-Hemp milk
-Honey
-Spinach
-Cashews
-Banana
-4 scoops of (52g) in 8oz+/- of Cytomax Cyto-Carb2 (for the weight gain, since I need it)

In a few days, I'll add creatine in the mix when that package comes through the mail.

Also, I would watch the Hawaiian food even though you had no mac because they use breadcrumbs and deep fry the food.

Finally since you start your day at 4am, make sure you get to bed earlier so you're body has enough time to rebuild muscle fibers.

Last edited:

Roober

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Roober, I'm confused. You want to bulk, yet you want to lose the body fat. If you're trying to get to 10-12% from the 15-18% bodyfat, you'll need some high intensity interval training (HIIT) or ciruit training to enhance cardiovascular fitness. I saw your pic, you're not bad right now, just work on toning more and work off some of that belly fat around the waste so your six-pack becomes more defined. Personally, I would substitute the 2% milk for hemp or almond milk. Great sources of protein, low carb, omega 3,6, vit. b12.

For my fitness goals, I'm 5'8", 142lbs, 6.4% bf, so I'm working on bulking up 20-40 pounds using Kris Gethin's 12 week hardcore training program for free on bodybuilding.com.

I'm following Kris's nutrition guide mostly. I like to make a pre-workout shake before 3pm, so I'm ready to work out in the gym by 4:30~5:00PM.

In my shake I include:
-Little ice
-Hemp milk
-Honey
-Spinach
-Cashews
-Banana
-4 scoops of (52g) in 8oz+/- of Cytomax Cyto-Carb2 (for the weight gain, since I need it)

In a few days, I'll add creatine in the mix when that package comes through the mail.

Also, I would watch the Hawaiian food even though you had no mac because they use breadcrumbs and deep fry the food.

Finally since you start your day at 4am, make sure you get to bed earlier so you're body has enough time to rebuild muscle fibers.
Thanks for the feedback! Would you recommend I just focus on trimming the fat first, and just lift weights for maintenance? How would that affect my current diet (other than cutting the junk food)? It would also work nicely considering I have those runs coming up. Could I incorporate HIIT training 3-4 times a week and cut and bulk at the same time? Really trying to get more mass on my arms... but I get these things do take time.

Other problems I have my boys 3-4 days a week, and they certainly won't eat the leaner healthier foods. Also, I need to get better about getting more sleep. I probably rest 6-7 hours per night...

6.4% bf is super lean, good job!

resilient

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm no sports trainer or nutrition expert. Although I would say to trim fat and for a well-rounded gym/training schedule, I would suggest studying resting metabolism rate. The more you know anatomically what you're doing to your body when you're working out and what/when you're eating the better.

I used a BMI calculator with your details from your OP and got 25.6 (overweight range) 18.5~24.9 is considered normal for your height and should be your target BMI range ...

If you're watching your kids those 3-4 days and they won't eat what you eat; have separate or side meals or healthy snacks for yourself like broccoli, cashews, oats, etc.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should be way stronger bro. Go hard and focus on those compound lifts.
Squat, Bench, Deadlift, OHP.

You have too much potential at your size to only be pulling 195. I'm 5'7, 19, 155 lbs, and I just pulled 345 with the hook grip today.

Strength needs to go up. Without pictures though we cant determine if you should bulk or cut.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Google Stronglifts 5X5 and Starting Strength Mark Rippletoe.

Thank me later.

For diet, become a psuedo-vegetarian. Limit your meat intake to 12 oz a day, once per day. It's worked wonders for me. The average guy won't be able to lose weight on a bodybuilding diet. Too many calories, too much protein.

Alexander Thomas

Reaction score
Exercise and fitness both are very important for our body. We should keep our body stress free and active. Here are 3 steps which will help you to stay active:-
  • Eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, daily.
  • Keep your carbohydrates low to moderate when trying to lose weight.
  • Drink at least a gallon of water per day.