Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Everything you need to know about martial arts!

Knockout King

Don Juan
Reaction score
specific moves are practiced in SPARRING, this way not only do you learn how to use them, but you learn how to use them under a semi-adrenalized state (if the sparring session is hard) and most importantly you learn TIMING OF THE TECHNIQUES.

It's impossible to be as strong at 80 as you are at 20. I'm sorry but I just won't be able to believe this no matter what you say

You raise a valid point about tito or other cage fighters fighting blind though, there's no way they can fight as well as a shaolin master then.

I dunno about most of your other situations though, most of them sound like secret agent stuff :p I see where yer comin from tho, shaolin will make one not just a fighter, but an all around survivor

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, in sparring, you have to be in the right position to use whatever move you need. Before you can use it in sparring, you practice in the kata. It's just another way to hone your skills. Most Americans don't see it as useful.

Yeah, I guess you are an overall survivalist. This was useful in the chinese forests 1500 years ago, maybe not so great now. But the iron fist, iron palm, and budha hand techniques are a priceless attribute of shaolin.

Yes, I've seen an 80 year old Aikido master overpower a 20 year old who was bigger and "stronger" than the master. I couldn't explain it, you'd have to see it. But it's strength do to breathing right and chi. You'll hear shaolin practitioners exhaling hard on certain moves. It gives you power among other things.

Triangle Choke

Don Juan
Reaction score
Your posts contain many flaws. Vale tudo is not a style, it is a form of competiton. In Portuguese it means "fight without rules". Also, since vale tudo takes place in Brazil, the action is not as fast and furious as you say it is, since most fighters who fight practice jiu-jitsu, the fights often remain on the ground, although there are many luta livre fighters as well.

Tito Ortiz is not the current LHW champion of the UFC, nor was he when you wrote this post. Randy Couture was, and now Vitor Belfort is the champion, albeit by way of a fluke win.

In addition, what you describe as Greco-Roman wrestling is actually Pankration of ancient Greece. Greco-Roman wrestling contains no chokes or submissions as thought of in modern days.

I have only skimmed your posts because I don't have much time as it's almost time for no-gi jiu-jitsu class.

By the way Knockout King, where have you competed and in what?

I will be at the NAGA World Championships this weekend competing in Men's no-gi advanced competition. Perhaps you will be there as well.

Knockout King

Don Juan
Reaction score
TC: People train for vale tudo competition which in the early days consisted of training in boxing, muay thai, luta livre, jujitsu, capoiera, and maybe a couple of other styles. People who trained for this competition just call them selves vale tudo stylists. And yes, Tito was the champion at the time that I wrote this post, in fact he was the champion until 7 or 8 months after I wrote this. Anyway, I wrote this post a long time ago, I didn't know as much then as I do now, so it should be understandable that there are a few flaws.

GQ: First of all, the stance alone is not enough to prevent a takedown, you actually have to know how to grappler in order to do so. Second, no matter how good your takedown defense is, sooner or later, if your opponent is anywhere near as good at takedowns as you are at defending them, then he'll get you on the ground. Also, the Bjj practitioner often pulls guard if he can't get you on your back and often they dominate from there. And also, any martial artist regardless of style should be cross training, that's the basis of fighting is being good at everything, if you have a hard time taking your opponent to the ground you should be able to strike with him. You should never be just a brazilian jujitsuist, but rather, a brazilian jujitsu/boxer/muay thai fighter.

Triangle Choke

Don Juan
Reaction score
Knockout King - My apologies, I didn't notice it said "2003", I thought it said "2004".

Regardless, in the early days of fighting in Brasil, fighters called themselves "jiu jitsu fighters" or said that they "fought vale tudo", meaning they fought with no rules.

This wasn't addressed to me, but I agree with your comments regarding crosstraining. It's an absolute necessity.

By the way, have you ever been to Brasil?

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should mention that there are 3 different versions of sambo.

There's the sport where you have to score the points by putting your opponent on the back. Most of the techniques you're taught are applicable for positions when you are on the ground

There's the "self defence" sambo. Where you learn non lethal techniques of disarming the opponent and putting him into a lock. They teach you some tricks to do while standing.

And there's the "military style" sambo which teaches to kill/maim the opponent while he's standing.

3 very different things. All called the same.

Cheers.

Knockout King

Don Juan
Reaction score
GQ: I've already said that no matter how good someone's takedown defense is, the BJJ fighter will be able to get him on the ground sooner or later unless we're talkign about a crazy huge margin. Even so, the BJJ fighter can simply pull guard, where he goes to the ground by pulling the other fighter on top of him, and the BJJ fighter may be able to get something going again. Also, if he knows only BJJ then he's not a complete martial artist.

Cross training is something that you absolutely cannot argue against, any fighter who knows his stuff, from Masutatsu Oyama to Bruce Lee to Vanderlei Silva will tell you that.

TC: No, I haven't been to Brazil, why do you ask?

IC: Thanks for the input

SuperiorOne33

Reaction score
Cro Cop Highlight Video

Listen, I know this thread has been dead for years, but it's a very worthy read and I figured it deserved a bump. And what better way to give it a bump than to direct you to a great highlight video of one of the world's top fighters, Mirko Filopovic (nicknamed Cro Cop, because he was a former cop and is from Croatia).

The reason I chose this video is because Knockout King spoke a little bit about fighters who specialize in striking but who also train to defend against grapplers and their takedowns/submissions.

Cro Cop is a very good example of this type of fighter. He has a devastating high kick (quite a sight for those who believe that any kicks above the waist are useless) and the video also shows some of the specific drills he does in training to protect against grapplers, and it shows him using a few of those anti-grappler techniques in actual fights.

Just don't ask me why he's wearing polka-dotted spandex shorts. Maybe it's a Croatian thing.

Great video, check it out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6695732838347789313&q=Mirko+Cro+Cop

If this doesn't work, just do a google search for "Cro Cop Evanescence Highlight Video".

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Knockout King said:
The vale tudo practicioner understands that on the street there are no rules and restricting yourself to some code of honor only does one thing, it opens you up to weaknesses and lessens your effectiveness as a fighter.
That sums up the people from my country.

:crackup:

Android

Don Juan
Reaction score
CroCop will be making his American debut Feb. 3 in the UFC. It won't be a long fight though. :trouble:

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Best martial arts thread ever. This guys knowledge is right on.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just got back from watching my friend in a TKD tournament. A whole lot of kicking going on, and a lot of falling to the ground from throwing these wild kicks without controlling themselves. Most of what these ppl are taught would be thrown out the window if they hit the ground in a real scenario. That's why after my time in a korean stand-up art, I became a wrestler in high school...Now I train boxing/punching because I feel that's what I could use to completely round myself out, maybe some BJJ later on.

int3l

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Knockout King said:
Thanks, and thanks to those of you who have responded.

As for tai chi and hapkido, I didn't include them because I said I'm going over the MAJOR arts. Hapkido is not among them, I cover the main arts in certain countries and hapkido is not Korea's main art. I also didn't cover it because it is so similar to tkd, just that it has sort of a kung fu feel with it, not a big difference.

Tai Chi is a style of kung fu, read the description of kung fu and combine it with yoga and you have tai chi :) No, but seriously, tai chi is not a widely practiced art and half the people who do practice it do it for a yoga type spiritual thing rather than as a martial art.

And on a side note for those of you who are in question of something on this thread, feel free to add your input, if it means argueing with me then that's fine. Don't think that if you dont' know as muhc about martial arts as me that you don't have the right to challenge what I say, someone who still thinks karate and mauy thai are the same thing has just as much right to question me as a 10 year UFC vet.

HOWEVER! I do have one condition to this, argueing on this thread will be CONSTRUCTIVE. I don't want some punk drama queen coming on here and flaming me because he's so hung up on his baised opinions that me speaking my mind offends his pathetic little AFC ego, so if you're similar to the kind of person I just described then stay the hell away from this thread!
Biggest load of bull**** i've ever heard. I've trained in Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido and there is a large world of difference between the two. similar to TDk with a Kung Fu feel? you lost all credibility with me when you uttered those retarded words. Hapkido gives you groundwork, wrist locks, high/low kicks and throws to name the least. At it's worst description it could be compared to a mix of Tae Kwon Do and Aikido. (btw don't go on about Hapkido being Korean Aikido, disrespecting a martial art is a big no-no)

And about Tae Kwon Do being almost ineffective on it's own. You need to work to improve at ALL martial arts. No martial arts will save your ass if you give it a half ass try. Potential of landing a high kick low? Not really. You're trained from the very beginning to always look where you are kicking, If you can't keep your eyes trained on where you are going to kick you may as well forget attempting any martial art. Also any spinning back kick, jumping back kick will deliver devastating damage whether it hits directly or not. However, Tae Kwon Do emphasis's concentration It is the art of teaching oneself to keep calm and wait for the moment where you can deliver the highest point of impact.

In regards to the last bolded section, Get your facts straight if you don't want to be flamed.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reviving a dead thread here, but lately I've taken a strong interest in wrestling. When you combine weight lifting with martial arts as a hobby, you can be one tough m'fer. I was looking for your guys advice with how to become a better grappler. Striking, while obviously important, is not my forte. I know how to punch and all, and could surely do damage in any given situation, but I'm more concerned with neutralizing threats, which I believe grappling is more effective for. I prefer to take away a man's power, in a soft way. Never going too hard on a pressure point, joint lock, or choke. I especially enjoy ground fighting.

My friends and I wrestle, but I always get pissed when they throw in strikes. How can I get better at freestyle wrestling, just to let people know that I am not to be f'd with?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm more concerned with neutralizing threats

All martial arts that have competitions, including wrestling, take place in a controlled environment with rules. So they all have their limitations in a street fight. Grappling on concrete isn't fun. You're going to get fvcked up even if you win, and that's if the other guy's friends don't stomp on your head from behind. The best grappling position for street use is knee-on-belly, but even it's not meant to be maintained very long before you knock the guy out and stand back up, a second or two at the most. Real fights have multiple attackers, and your only chance is to stay on your feet as much as possible so you can keep moving.

The other thing about real fights is that everything except survival is forgotten, There are no rules. There is no such thing as "fair." Dirty fighting is good fighting. Crotch-kicking is probably your best weapon, at least until you pick up the first improvised weapon you see. A snap-kick to the nuts will drop any strong man instantly, likely without permanent damage. And if the three guys trying to mug you think you are less of a man for kicking their asses that way, that is their problem.

If you are talking about screwing around with your friends, leg sweeps, trips, and throws can all be accomplished without hurting them. If you learn some wrist locks, no one is going to want to mess with you. And stick-fighting sounds like something you'd never use, until you can make people fall down and cry by using a cheap ball point pen. The pain is excruciating without real injury. You have to have it done to you before you can learn how to dish it out, so not many people want to train the stuff that really hurts. My trainer said no one ever wanted to train nun-chucks with him more than once. Most of the moves involve pinching your opponent's fingers between the two sticks.

I was at a girl's house and her kid had a pair of plastic sai he was playing with. They are the fork things that Raphael the ninja turtle carries. People who get upset over toy guns would have a cow if they understood the things that sai were made to do, basically snare and dismember your opponent on the battlefield, stuff that is too gruesome to put in R-rated movies, much less kid's cartoons.

Last edited:

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sadly, guns and modern weapons in general lessen the importance of being able to fight, but nevertheless, I feel that learning self-defense is still a useful tool in any man's arsenal.