Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Boxing or Fitness?

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's exactly the vibe that I picked up on when I tried the BJJ out, this was back in 2015 as well. I was only there for a month but I remember on my first class the instructor made some comment about how "You are the nail and we are the hammer" lol. I remember there was a good degree of verbal bullying for sure, it was really off putting. A lot of the guys were actually kind of small and out of shape as well and gave me kind of an insecure vibe, especially since I am/was 6'4" and very fit/atheltic and well over 200 pounds. One made this comment about how it didn't matter and tried verbally bullying me. I tried to stick it out but I left because it was super off putting and that it made no sense to pay someone else to basically be treated like a child lol.
Yeh bro. I get it. BJJ was my first combat sport as an adult. Did it for years. Even still, I love when I see pure BJJ guys get beat up in MMA.

Some are so arrogant. Its like when you give a bullied nerd a super power they go overboard. Many think that they dont need to learn any other martial art. They get a rude awakening when they get punched in the face.

I also hate when BJJ guys call their BJJ match a " fight". No its not a fight. It is a grappling match. A fight involves strikes.
Omg and the BJJ chicks are the worst. Dont me started on that.

I miss the tradition and humility of traditional martial arts like Karate. You have to bow towards and respect your training partners etc.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeh bro. I get it. BJJ was my first combat sport as an adult. Did it for years. Even still I love when I see pure BJJ guys get beat up in MMA.

Some are so arrogant. Its like when you give a bullied nerd a super power they go overboard. Many think that they dont need to learn any other martial art. They get a rude awakening when they get punched in the face.

I also hate when BJJ guys call their BJJ match a " fight". No its not a fight. It is a grappling match. A fight involves strikes.
Omg and the BJJ chicks are the worst. Dont me started on that.

I miss the tradition and humility of traditional martial arts like Karate. You have to bow towards and respect your training partners etc.
I was working with my boxing/kickboxing trainer whilst also doing BJJ at the same gym, though the trainer I worked with for like 9 months. I remember that I got pretty proficient at boxing very fast and that felt much more like a real fight to me instead of literally starting off sitting on the ground lol. Looking back on it, even with my limited training I probably could have beaten most of the BJJ students at that gym in an MMA fight unless they could find some way to knock me down. At 6'4" and 220+, I forget exactly what I weighed back then, that would have been a challenge for most of those guys there.

lubstur

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say go for whatever you find more enjoyable. I remember my gym had a punching bag which I used to practice with. I had no idea at the time (I was around 28-29) but a girl much older than me who returned back to the gym asked if I still boxed.

I found this surprising because I never really mentioned to her about it, only spoke to her for a few minutes here and then, and I mostly kept to myself at the gym. I told her no, I stopped boxing. I didn't realize it then but there was quite a disappointment from her. I do think something about being able to "fight" turns girls on probably?

Regardless do whatever feels most enjoyable for you. Sustainability is the most important thing, it's a life style. Lifting weight to me feels really good, it's a mental catharsis, and gives you an aesthetics you're proud of. Boxing gives you much better cardio stamina, as I found even 10-15 minutes of practicing on the punching bag pretty demanding vs 1-3 hours of lifting weights. Honestly I'd say boxing might be a bit more healthier for the heart since you can do HIIT trainings with boxing. I think HIIT training on lifting weights is stupid and something like Crossfit. Again, you can also supplement few extra minutes on the side with weight lifting so really it's what you find more enjoyable.

Personally I'd like to do both if I get the chance, but that's very time consuming and not realistic, if I had to choose only one it'd be weight lifting and maybe some light shadow boxing inside my house.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was mostly referring to actually competing. BJJ I tried for a month and hated it, mostly because the trainers/coaches were douchebags, as were the students there as well. I remember getting into a lot of weird positions that legitimately strained my elbows, hips and back. I distinctly recall waking up the next morning after one of the classes and having back pain as I got out of bed. I knew right then and there that I'd be jacked up if I stuck with it, so I cancelled the membership.
BJJ is such a meme. If you do it for it's own sake ie building a discipline, hobby, and sense of brotherhood, that's great. But it's worthless for a street fight. The last place you wanna be in a fight is on the ground, you'll scrape all your skin off on the pavement and worse, one of their boys might come in and kick your skull in. It's such a joke. People forget how real fights work. You want to end a fight ASAP (ie haymaker to the head) then split, not scuffle around on the floor like an autist for several minutes.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BJJ is such a meme. If you do it for it's own sake ie building a discipline, hobby, and sense of brotherhood, that's great. But it's worthless for a street fight. The last place you wanna be in a fight is on the ground, you'll scrape all your skin off on the pavement and worse, one of their boys might come in and kick your skull in. It's such a joke. People forget how real fights work. You want to end a fight ASAP (ie haymaker to the head) then split, not scuffle around on the floor like an autist for several minutes.
The same things can be said about mma. That was my biggest takeaway lesson from it, how different it is from real. The cage is like a padded room for crazy people. The floor is made of boards that flex and multiple layers of mat. A slam that would be life ending on pavement is worthless...you just bounce and it doesn't hurt at all.

Padded gloves are a big difference that benefits the wearer. If I ever got into a bar fight, I'm fairly certain I could break the hands of some guy trying to punch me by throwing elbows. It would be hilarious. "Officer, that guy punched me, but hurt his hand and started crying." Then he gets a battery charge and an expensive orthopedic surgery.

My trainer had a Japanese jiu jitsu background. A lot of it was against mma rules, because it works too well, lots of dirty tricks. There's no pulling guard. Mount position is shin on opponents belly, with the other foot on the ground. I've seen cops use it on the street.