Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Best way to make incredible strength Gains using 5x5 StrongLifts

Joji

Don Juan
Reaction score
I use Strong Lifts 5x5 but I want to know if there's an efficient way of using it to make incredible strength gains. I'm completely focused on strength not size.

My wrestling season is upcoming and I just want to murder my competition.

Three

Don Juan
Reaction score
I gained a lot of weight and strength both with stronglifts. Just following the program and eating clean while getting good sleep will give you what you're looking for.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing will get you strong and dense like doing heavy static holds. Nothing.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing will get you strong and dense like doing heavy static holds. Nothing.
I’ve tried static holds for squats. It made the weights FEEL lighter, but it didn’t make them easier to lift. It just made my spine able to load more weight but legs didn’t necessarily get stronger.

Macaframalama

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use Strong Lifts 5x5 but I want to know if there's an efficient way of using it to make incredible strength gains. I'm completely focused on strength not size.

My wrestling season is upcoming and I just want to murder my competition.
5 sets of 5 reps across isn't optimal for either maximal strength or hypertrophy. It is probably one of the best set/rep schemes for achieving both concurrently, but your focus is split between two goals. Your progression is limited by the volume and fatigue you accumulate in sets 1-4. There are several ways you can approach a workaround to where you are reaching higher intensity. Add weight until you can no longer complete 5x5, then move on to 4 sets of 5 until you stall and so on until you are ramping up to just one top set of 5. At this point, you can either start over at 5x5 with a 5-10lb increase and repeat the process or move on to 3x3. I would run the 3x3 the same way, except only run it for three weeks, regardless of wether you get all 3 sets of 3 reps in week one. Week1-3x3/Week2-2x3, week3-1x3. At this point you are peaking and learning to display strength, rather than building strength, so I wouldn't spend too much time above 85% of 1rm for your goals.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve tried static holds for squats. It made the weights FEEL lighter, but it didn’t make them easier to lift. It just made my spine able to load more weight but legs didn’t necessarily get stronger.
I'm not sure how you would do a static hold for a squat. I've done them on a leg sled before...I've also done Military presses, Bench presses and Close Grip Bench presses...

I maintain if you do them regularly and properly following the procedures laid out of increasing the weight by 20% each time and doing them once weekly it will create denseness and strength that will be hard to match.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you would do a static hold for a squat. I've done them on a leg sled before...I've also done Military presses, Bench presses and Close Grip Bench presses...

I maintain if you do them regularly and properly following the procedures laid out of increasing the weight by 20% each time and doing them once weekly it will create denseness and strength that will be hard to match.
I always did it once a week, 3 sets of ~120% max and holding for 45-60 seconds. It’s basically holding yourself in a quarter-squat stance, maybe slightly less. Worked me like hell but I think it fried my CNS.

Joji

Don Juan
Reaction score
5 sets of 5 reps across isn't optimal for either maximal strength or hypertrophy. It is probably one of the best set/rep schemes for achieving both concurrently, but your focus is split between two goals. Your progression is limited by the volume and fatigue you accumulate in sets 1-4. There are several ways you can approach a workaround to where you are reaching higher intensity. Add weight until you can no longer complete 5x5, then move on to 4 sets of 5 until you stall and so on until you are ramping up to just one top set of 5. At this point, you can either start over at 5x5 with a 5-10lb increase and repeat the process or move on to 3x3. I would run the 3x3 the same way, except only run it for three weeks, regardless of wether you get all 3 sets of 3 reps in week one. Week1-3x3/Week2-2x3, week3-1x3. At this point you are peaking and learning to display strength, rather than building strength, so I wouldn't spend too much time above 85% of 1rm for your goals.
I like this, good hunting, Macaframalama

Joji

Don Juan
Reaction score
In my opinion the best way to develop strength is to simply push yourself as hard as possible. Be willing to do the things that others won't. The intensity and consistency with which you train will ultimately decide how successful you are. The toughest competition I've ever faced is myself.

I'm not convinced that the # of reps or type of strength program even matters.

At the end of the day champions are comprised of men who are willing to push themselves beyond fatigue and discomfort.
I agree.