Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Benefits Of Cutting Back On Alcohol

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're point of that I will say no when I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired totally makes sense. I want to reach that point but I'm afraid of what I will loose on the way of getting there.

I've posted many threads, they all come down to the same fact. I want to change, but I don't have that 100% motivation to go fully for it. A point I'll only reach when I hit rock bottom.

But as said, I don't want to loose my job, I don't want to loose my friends,... and I think that is what keeps me hovering on the border between sick and tired of it and just being "ok" with how everything is right now.
I don't think you have to hit rock bottom to change. You say you want to, so you know you can do it. Nobody else will force you to and hitting rock bottom before changing is something for movies and TV. What I mean is, you could hit "rock bottom" and still go lower, or end up dead. There's no need to wait for some religious miracle if you truly have the desire. I did this with smoking. It doesn't give the same altered state as alcohol but it is more addictive. I realized I didn't want to be that person anymore: A smoker. It was liberating. Same with alcohol, just because others are doing it doesn't mean I need it.

But no matter what, you will have to find that motivation. Rock bottom or not, YOU will be the one who makes and executes the decision, so if it's something you want, why put it off. Nobody else but you will give you that push you need, because nobody else is as invested in your happiness and success as you.

jimjam

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
@RestUnknown

@samspade
'
There is a big misconception when people throw around the phrase, "rock bottom." All I can say about it is that unless you are truly addicted to something mind and behavior altering, you have no comprehension of what it means. It can be, like you posit, for movies and tv or some miraculous epiphany. And I suppose it's exactly this for some. Some drinkers will wind up on skid row with nothing but a bottle of t-bird and a paper bag. some will lose everything.

When it comes right down to it, rock bottom is the point when you can no longer keep digging. Now, this can mean different things for different people. Some may hit it after they lose it all and wind up sleeping on the garbage cans. some will hit it after their first ever hangover. It's as individual and varied as there are people. A normal, social drinker has no conception of this idea because they can have one drink or a few or however many and they can simply walk away from it for months, maybe years and feel no desire for it, feel no change in their mood without it. A drunk will desire the feeling that alcohol provides and realize there is something "missing" in his life without it-----despite whatever guilt, shame remorse he may feel from drinking. You may say that if you want to stop, then just stop. Of course, but for a drunk (no offense to anyone) it's not that easy. And I can't really explain it to you unless you feel that booze is a problem for you yet you keep picking up.

For me, I really did some crazy sh!t when I was drunk. Things I simply could not believe I did. I'd even have black outs where I'd wake up driving a car or I'd be sitting in some stranger's living room. Yet, I kept drinking. I hated myself for it and I wanted to stop but I kept picking up. One day I couldn't keep my balance, no coordination. I went to see a doctor. I remember my appointment was at like 8AM . Early in the morning, anyway. I remember her asking me how much I drank and if I had drank that morning. Now, I hadn't, but I must've stank like a distillery from the night before. At that moment, I realized that this was no longer working. Not all the blackouts arguments, fights, getting thrown out of houses, bars, apartments, etc, etc, etc. You name it, I probably did it. It took a doctor asking me if I had drank in the morning to make me sick and tired of being sick and tired. Did I stop then. No. Soon after I was diagnosed with MS. I still didn't stop, but I weaned myself off of it. One does not just stop drinking after being drunk round the clock for years. But I had MS. There were now going to be a lot of things I couldn't do. And I thought about all those years I was drunk, wasting time. BUT, at least I was sober now. and that was everything. In a way, getting MS saved y life. cuz I was headed nowhere good if I kept drinking, no doubt about it.

anyway, only YOU know if you have a problem. It's not as easy as stopping and walking away for some of us. If you want to stop, but you're afraid of hitting rock bottom on account of losing everything keep this in mind. Once you hit the bottom, there's nowhere to go but up. sounds corny, but it worked for me. My life is exceptionally better since I quit. The worst times sober are a thousand time better than the best times drunk.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cutting down drinking was one of the best decisions of my life. I'll have maybe 1-4 beers total a month and find that much more satisfying. This weekend I let go and was drinking at a bar and one ended up being 2 and so on. Got a good buzz, but was not hammered at all.

Next day felt lethargic and had a empty, hallow sad feeling the next day, I couldn't shake it an noticed this was not the first time this has happened the next day after slipping through the cracks of drinking. It does something to my body chemistry and I don't like it. Stick to working out and other productive hobbies fellas, build yourself through disciplines, alcohol is overrated

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cutting down drinking was one of the best decisions of my life. I'll have maybe 1-4 beers total a month and find that much more satisfying. This weekend I let go and was drinking at a bar and one ended up being 2 and so on. Got a good buzz, but was not hammered at all.

Next day felt lethargic and had a empty, hallow sad feeling the next day, I couldn't shake it an noticed this was not the first time this has happened the next day after slipping through the cracks of drinking. It does something to my body chemistry and I don't like it. Stick to working out and other productive hobbies fellas, build yourself through disciplines, alcohol is overrated
Drinking when you are a hard drinker like myself causes you to carry negativity from day to day, whereas without it won't linger. Also you end up feeling sorry for yourself and not doing things about your problems. You drink and procrastinate. I feel 110% better without the alcohol in me.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stick to working out and other productive hobbies fellas, build yourself through disciplines, alcohol is overrated
This^. Spirits have their place for those of us who can handle them, but I've been more productive and less dreary lately. It's been two months for me with one glass of wine. The less I've imbibed the less I've wanted to. I even watched Game 7 of the World Series last night without a drink. Lol...

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This^. Spirits have their place for those of us who can handle them, but I've been more productive and less dreary lately. It's been two months for me with one glass of wine. The less I've imbibed the less I've wanted to. I even watched Game 7 of the World Series last night without a drink. Lol...
That game was tense, I live in Chicago the city went nuts

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm knocking the drinking on the head! I drank like a trooper at the weekends between the ages of 16-19. Then gambling took over for a year, I did another year of weekend binge drinking then met my current gf and have actually had periods of not gambling or blasting the sauce at the weekend.

I went out at the weekend and got hammered, we had a table at a new club, got bottle service, had trays of shots as well as all the pre drinks.

It's made me realise alcohol truly is a mind altering drug. I've had countless occasions where I wake up with a deep sinking feeling in my stomach knowing I've made a fool of myself. This used to be a weekly thing. I don't have to get drunk to have a good time, I need to develop legitimate confidence which exists minus a drink!

I am by no means an alcoholic but drink has caused problems in my life which I can't have anymore!

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm knocking the drinking on the head! I drank like a trooper at the weekends between the ages of 16-19. Then gambling took over for a year, I did another year of weekend binge drinking then met my current gf and have actually had periods of not gambling or blasting the sauce at the weekend.

I went out at the weekend and got hammered, we had a table at a new club, got bottle service, had trays of shots as well as all the pre drinks.

It's made me realise alcohol truly is a mind altering drug. I've had countless occasions where I wake up with a deep sinking feeling in my stomach knowing I've made a fool of myself. This used to be a weekly thing. I don't have to get drunk to have a good time, I need to develop legitimate confidence which exists minus a drink!

I am by no means an alcoholic but drink has caused problems in my life which I can't have anymore!
I've made many life altering decisions on the sauce. Also I was using it to cover up some behaviors I shouldn't be tolerating with a woman. I'm cool without it. Also In pictures I look more "stupid" on the stuff, I'm told I move and act more stupidly.

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've made many life altering decisions on the sauce. Also I was using it to cover up some behaviors I shouldn't be tolerating with a woman. I'm cool without it. Also In pictures I look more "stupid" on the stuff, I'm told I move and act more stupidly.
Truth! My life is certainly different because of booze! I think I've used it as a crutch to not develop proper confidence.

I want to take my training up another level as well!
How long have you been off the sauce?

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Truth! My life is certainly different because of booze! I think I've used it as a crutch to not develop proper confidence.

I want to take my training up another level as well!
How long have you been off the sauce?
11 weeks now. It's made all the difference. I was in a depressive hole, didn't realize it till I started getting positive and happy after 3 wks off of it. Also it was counteracting my training by a ton. I'm finally going to be shredded didn't even know it was possible on me.

I was drinking a pint of paul masson or hennesy with coca cola about 5 days out of the week.

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
11 weeks now. It's made all the difference. I was in a depressive hole, didn't realize it till I started getting positive and happy after 3 wks off of it. Also it was counteracting my training by a ton. I'm finally going to be shredded didn't even know it was possible on me.

I was drinking a pint of paul masson or hennesy with coca cola about 5 days out of the week.
That's great! I've had periods of abstinence, but I've never cleared my head and focused on self improvement! The focus has always been on the next night out or event with the lads, that's what I want to change!

I only know of 1 other teetotal guy, hasn't been drunk in his life. the first aim is to get through the holidays without a drink!

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's great! I've had periods of abstinence, but I've never cleared my head and focused on self improvement! The focus has always been on the next night out or event with the lads, that's what I want to change!

I only know of 1 other teetotal guy, hasn't been drunk in his life. the first aim is to get through the holidays without a drink!
Swapping the alcohol for the fitness is a great comeback. Basically trading one addiction for another.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Good for you. I had a little wine over the holiday weekend and it was nice. Nothing crazy, just chilling with the gf and opened a bottle I bought back in the summer. It was decent wine and I enjoyed it. I didn't want it to be about a "streak" for me but just changing my habits. Though I haven't been as physically active this fall as I'd have liked.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Went out in sports bar Tuesday night to watch game, had three pints of bitter. The beer relaxed me & I enjoyed my night. Did feel a tiny bit groggy the next day.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm down to 181 pounds after being around 192 when I bought a scale in late summer. Hoping to get into the 170s next month.
Well I haven't made it to the 170s yet, lol. My weight's gone up slightly. But I still feel better. This past week was our office holiday party and I had a few glasses of pinot noir. I got a little buzzed and then quit while I was ahead. That's the most of anything I've had since Labor Day. I have not had a single beer in three and a half months.

logicallefty

Reaction score
My drinking is decreasing all the time. Was 8-10 beers a night years ago, sometimes more on weekends. It's gradually gone down to where I only drink at home, and its far far less. I had some family over for Thanksgiving that are big drinkers. I bought 2 x cases of my favorite redneck beer to share with them. Out of both cases I had 2 x on Thanksgiving Eve and 2 x since then. My relatives polished off about 30 between all of them. The other 14 x beers are still sitting on my back deck where my nephew left them; freezing and thawing.. Freezing and thawing.. I came home last weekend thinking "Im gonna get smashed tonight". Drank one and I just wasn't feeling it. I've dropped about 8 lbs since Thanksgiving too.

Drinking is just so darn fun.. Even drinking alone is fun for me.. But you guys are right. It messes with body chemistry for several weeks.