Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Choice Between Being and Becoming: Motivation for the Skinny Guys

Survivor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A huge part of maintaining a healthy marriage is staying physically attractive to your mate. Which is why I’m in the process of bulking up to a nice, lean 5’9” 185 lbs. Right now I’m in my bulking phase, going from 170 to 180 pounds since the beginning of this month. The problem?......Most of what I gained was FAT.

My wife doesn’t seem to care. She loves how I’ve become bigger. But that’s only because when we first met I was nothing but a scrawny 150 soaking wet with visible ribs. To her, anything is better than the skinny bastard I once was.

Developing the habit of lifting weights regularly hasn’t been a problem at all for me.

It’s the EATING HABITS that I struggle with. Yeah, I know the drill (eat lean meats, whey protein, creatine before workouts, 6 meals a day, blah, blah, blah). But when you live in the real world like I do, executing those best laid plans isn’t easy when you have a demanding full-time job, a long commute, and rigorous night and weekend classes at an elite grad school.

Nevertheless, I make no excuses and press on. Still, bulking has done something unexpected.

Bulking has challenged my personal management skills. It has forced me to think about how I spend each portion of my day. It has forced me to plan and prepare meals days in advance, which alone should reduce my fat intake. I’m more diligent about using my daily planner. This emphasis on time management has not only positively affected my health, but also my career, and my marriage. I am a more productive engineer and student because of it. My sex drive has blown off the charts.

More important than muscle, bulking builds inner game.

I started bulking so that I could BE big. But I am BECOMING so much more.

So how does this help you get laid?

Glad you asked.

At some point, someone has told you “Just be yourself and the girls will flock to you.”

Let’s set something straight here. For skinny guys like us, “Being yourself” is about as counter productive as strutting down Muscle Beach with your shirt off.

I think the main reason attractive people tell us to “just be yourself” is because that’s all THEY have to do to attract someone. All they have to do is simply BE. Yes, a wonderful state, but it doesn’t apply to us.

BEING yourself is easy. It is BECOMING yourself that all of us struggle with.

Just as I won’t get big unless I become a good time manager, no one will be comfortable around you until you first become comfortable with yourself. Such is the importance of inner game.

Bulking is just one inner game builder. There are others.

Sosuave.net is your crossroads. You can either BE in a constant state of information overload, trolling and self deprecation (sosuave’s pitfalls), or you can BECOME more confident through the real-life actions you take to improve yourself.

Stop being and start becoming.

Dude2Stud

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 110, 5'7, I just started bulking with Anthony Ellis program but just modified, instead of using a **** load of supplements, I compensate it with food. I'm building my confidence up.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post and glad to see someone else has realised this for themselves. I got into bulking as a skinny guy too and it's transformed my mind and body.

I also gained an undesired amount of fat, but I've lost a lot of it since then and started getting ripped. Seeing your work pay off is amazing and having goals to aim for and discipline to carry them through changes the way you think about life as a whole!

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

I. Lots of food is anabolic. It tells the body to bulk up, literally, and hormonally. So guys who are too skinny need to get LOTS of fruits, veggies, good healthy oils, fats, protein, etc. Stay away from thin, cutting-type foods, unless you round the diet out. When I was going heavy, I found the hardest diet to be chicken and vegetables, no fats. The lack of fats imbalanced hormone production and left me feeling flat.

The other piece to lifting, is that more carbs help. Yes, you gain UNWANTED bodyfat, as I have during bulking, but I got to a weight I never imagined. Now you know what it's like to be THAT big, what it takes to be that big, and cutting fat is FAR easier than gaining muscle. Make sure you eat carbs, just taper consumption a few hours before you sleep, unless you lift late.

II. Becoming vs. being. In my mind, we all WERE something, but you're sent through the ringer that changes you. It subverts the person to the system. Dependence on others. Authority OUTSIDE your own mind. It's as if you're given a feeling you're incomplete, and the world WILL provide those answers. Those who say "be yourself", just don't realize the philosophical difference between them and you.

You've been offered the choice of which pill to take, of whether to go down the rabbit hole. Will you take it? Did you already take it?

New information ALWAYS shocks the comfort of the EGO, but once you grasp that you've been living in a fake world, you have to SUCCUMB and DRIVE with intensity on the path you live on. It's like a guy who's fat, or has problems losing weight. Does he just give in, accept fat girls, eat poorly, and can't play general sports? Or does he, with laser like focus and concrete determination made it work, no matter, creating the best body he's ever had?

The previous life most had lived has BELIEF coming after EVIDENCE. However, in a world which you want changes, BELIEF, KNOWING, COMMANDING, comes BEFORE evidence. You change you, then the world changes, and bends, towards you.

Good post, and great analogy.

A-Unit

Survivor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What I particularly like is how bulking has challenged skills and attitudes that are easily transferable to other facets of life; not just with my health or my marriage.

The planning and preparing of meals have made manage my time and money better.

I've also experienced an increased confidence and assertiveness in my personality...particularly after I've squatted or bench pressed.

All of this, and the metamorphisis isn't even complete yet.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very good post.

How about going from 5"5 140 to 6 feet 180 in about 4 years? That was me. And damn do I love it :)

When you are bigger, you get away wtih a lot more. Guys and girls will respect you just because you are bigger. You can toss girls around easier. You can lift heavy things easier. You look damn good with those broad shoulders!! You learn discipline, you learn motivation, you learn SACRIFICE!!

GET TO IT IF YOU ARE STILL SECOND GUESSING, GET TO IT NOW!!!

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I used to be short as hell till i was 18..and I still had fun and had a bunch of chicks interested in me. But once you get big it is another whole game.

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Survivor said:
Stop being and start becoming.
Survivor is, without doubt, one of the best posters of this forum.