Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Pool Techniques

Diaoz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi all, first of thks for reading.

Now the issue is, i've been pretty much stuck within my comfort zone, doing things I do well only etc.

So...I've decided to pick up Pool, since it's rather popular with many girls I have my eyes on. Good activity and also if I'm good, than well, I'd gain some 'man' points.

However the problem is, I haven't really played it before. Just a couple of times when friends are off to the toilet or such.
One awful thing is whenever I hit the cue ball, I'd miss and it'd just move a little.

I'll be calling up some mates and going to a Pool hall to practice soon, but before that, any tips from Pool pros here?

Also, any site that goes through the basic rules of Pool etc.(don't wanna make a fool of myself). Tried googling but there's only a buncha pay-to-view step by step thing lol.

Much appreciated, thks!

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah. Just a lingo thing.

Say you "shoot pool".

I hate it when people ask if I want to "play pool".

It's shoot dammit.

forcerecon

Reaction score
BCA rules: http://www.bca-pool.com/cgi/site/framegate.cgi?url=http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml&cat=p

Official straight from the horse's mouth. Keep in mind if you are playing in a bar somebody might try to call bull**** on you, because they've always played "bar room rules" but you'll know the official rules, so you're good to go.

As far as missing the ball is concerned, make sure you're cue is chalked WELL, watch a good pool player and you will see them barely above the cue, using it almost as a sight, get right down on top of the cue, don't death grip it, and look at your target ball at the location you want to strike it...it just takes some practice. You might feel like an idiot at first, but it doesn't take long before you can at least hold your own with most people, after that you can start learning cue ball control and really start kicking some ass.

Evil-Rom

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
,-._|\ ................... ............ / Aus \ ..
Originally posted by AverageFC
yeah. Just a lingo thing.

Say you "shoot pool".

I hate it when people ask if I want to "play pool".

It's shoot dammit.
hey man you wanna go play pool sometime

ohiofutballa

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ill admit it, im a pool hustler. My parents bought me a pool table 5 years ago and i havent stopped since. After HS football/basketball game, all the kids go to a "5th quarter" hangout place. I bumble with my stick, act unnatural when i hit the balls, have no free range of motion, I really blow it.

Next game they almost always suggest to play for money and i say why not. Losers break is the rule. They never get a chance.

The key is when you're about to break only bend at the elbow, when your "winding up"and keep your elbow tight against your body. Line up the cue with the rack( doesnt matter if its off-center, just that its lined up) and focus on the center of the ball, wind up and snap your elbow forward. As in golf once you focus on the rack and cue, do not lift your head to see what happened until you have already fallen through with your break, perfect break if executed correctly.

*Im not going to get into putting certain spins on the ball, because that is way to complicated for a beginner.*

Billiards is a game of angles, thats all it is. If you play the angles correctly youll win everytime. You DONT aim for the center of the balls 85% of the time- its simple, if you want the cue ball to hit the ball in the left pocket aim for the center of the cue ball, and then line it up with the RIGHT side of the ball your trying to hit it, the more drastic the angle between the ball and the pocket, the more you aim to one side.

Also you dont have to kill the ball everytime, just let it slide gently You save yourself alot of scratches, and hitting in the opponents balls.

Hope this helps, Ohiofuballa :cool:

Diaoz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thks all!

forcerecon:
thks for the link, care to let me on what some 'bar rules' are though? Just so I know and don't look like a Dork, hehe.

ohiofutballa:
hey that's really cool man, I should try it when I become a Pro.

I'm gonna start mastering Pool as a hobby and also for a life(not much these days) to be more like a man, busy, fun and all.

So, you sound like you're great and passionate with Pool, so please give me some more pointers, thks.

Confused with some jargon here:
Winding up
keep my elbow tight against my body(what's the correct way to hold and shoot the cue stick anyway?)
Line up the cue with the rack(like straight towards?)

Thks all and much appreciated!

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
keep my elbow tight against my body(what's the correct way to hold and shoot the cue stick anyway?)
Here's a pic of my stance. I've been told that I have an excellent stroke and form, so take it as you please.

Stance

And if you bridge with your right hand and you end up shooting down the right side of the table (you'll find yourself to be in an awkward situation), here's the stance for a "Behind the back shot".

Behind the Back

ohiofutballa

Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate My computer this is the 3rd time i wrote this

Anyways....

"winding up" is the stage where you are aiming for the center of the cue ball and the angle of the target ball, you let the cue stick glide from your arm being almost completely straight backwards, to bending your elbow at about a 40 degree angle and letting the stick line up 2-3 inches from the cue ball. after a few glides let it loose.

Keep your arm almost lined up straight with your shoulder, hunch over a bit and look at the angles for the balls. Let the cue glid a few inches below your armpit. There are many different ways to hold a cue. I personally pull my thumb up a little and let the cue slide inbetween my index and thumb.

For cue placement either have it , lined up to the side of the table, or in the one in the center. Many people like to put the ball of to the side, because they can easily hit a large amount of balls at once, and get a nice easy snap from hitting the "wall of balls".

Bar Rules on the other hand vary from bar to bar, pool hall to pool hall. Just clarify with the person that your playing official rules.
* some hustlers will say oh you scratched, that means you lose, Bar Rules.
But i doubt youll be in the hustling circuit in the immediate future

Ohiofutballa :cool:

quest

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i love pool. its a great game.

i always thought i was a good pool player, but i wasnt.

when i did become a good pool player there was 2 things i had to change in my game.
i used to put a hoop (1 finger) over the small end of the cue, many people do this as its what instantly feels comfortable to aim. DON'T.u gotto use the grove between ur thumb and ur index finger for aiming, it will take time for that to become natural.

also, as already mentioned. hitting the balls hard is definently NOT a good thing. it is all about angles and especially PLANNING YOUR NEXT SHOT! alternitivly that can be PLANNING YOUR OPPONENTS NEXT SHOT.
for example, u've got 2 balls on the table, one is set up in the bottom left pocket, the other is middle of the table, against the barrier at the opposite end. u pot ur set up ball, but draw the white ball back so u can make some kind of a shot on the remaining ball.
or for example. u know that u cannot get any of your balls in, you can intentionally leave your opponent with a hard shot on one of his balls. just make sure it doesnt look intentional.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some basic physics

The guys make some good points. I'll add a little bit of the reasoning behind them:

1) Develop a decent bridge, so the stick does not wobble. I tend to loop the finger, but that's not necessarily the best way to do it. Just what I grew up with. The important thing is that the front of the stick doesn't move from side to side.

2) Keeping your head down so you're as close as possible to looking straight down the stick at the cue ball will improve your aim and enable you to see that your stroke is straight. Again, side-to-side movement is generally something to avoid.

3) Don't shoot too hard, unless a particular shot calls for it. The faster the ball goes, the less likely it is to go in if it doesn't go in clean, and the farther it's likely to be coughed out. Especially true if you're playing 8-ball, in which it's not bad to leave the ball right in front of the pocket. Obviously it's good to have the ball moving a bit faster with longer shots, especially in barroom tables that tend to be a bit uneven.

Diaoz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thks for all input, much appreciated.

aBAzLLnA:
Thks for the pics, I've been looking for such pics to take reference from, can't hold, bridge or stand for nutz.

Need some clarification here though:
Stance Pic:
What fingers are you using to bridge, I can see the thumb but am uncertain if the other finger is the index or middle.
Also, do you stand with your legs together or one forward and the other backwards.

Behind the back:
My mates used to sit on the edge of the table and use a behind the back and it looked really cool, definately something I want to pick up so your pic came at the right time, still, can't see how you bridge.

ohiofutballa:
Ah I see, I think the problem I have is that when I'm winding up and shooting, my stick tends to go up(imagine an airplane taking off) because I'm really awkward with the cue. Thus I usually miss the ball or the ball just moves a little(incredibly embarrassing).

quest:
k cool, i'll be looking into strategys too once I stop being so awkward.

Bonhomme:
One thing I'm not quite sure is how keeping my head down actually improves my aim.

My major mistake is probably because I usually look from an overwatch position and then just shoot.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to and when 'Jump-balls' are supposed to be used? I just hit the bottom of the cue-ball so that it'd hop over a ball I don't want moved right?

Diaoz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyway, I've got some rule questions to ask too.

How do I arrange the balls in the rack?

When am I allowed to move the cueball?
I know it can be moved when you're gonna break the rack and when someone hits the ball into the pocket. But what else?

What's the difference between 8 ball and 9 ball?

If you pocket a ball while breaking, does it belong to you or the other guy.
I remember once a friend pocket a "Strip" ball while breaking but the "Strips" are allocated to the competitor instead.

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For rules I suggest you read the BCA link provided earlier in the post.

when i did become a good pool player there was 2 things i had to change in my game.
i used to put a hoop (1 finger) over the small end of the cue, many people do this as its what instantly feels comfortable to aim. DON'T.u gotto use the grove between ur thumb and ur index finger for aiming, it will take time for that to become natural.
Just to let you know, the marjority of pro 9 ball players play with a looped bridge...

Here's a clearer pic of my bridge. I use what is known as an "open bridge", which I don't suggest you use cuz it gets a lot of getting used to, and since you're just starting out you'll need a more stable bridge.

Open Bridge

This, as all bridges, takes time getting used to, but what's most important is that you use a bridge that resembles a tripod, three points of contact with the table (very steady).

Loop or Closed Bridge

In the closed bridge, notice that my pointer finger loops around the shaft to make contact with my middle finger. The three points of contact is my pinky, my middle finger and the upper wrist.

PS:

If you pocket a ball while breaking, does it belong to you or the other guy.
There are many house rules, but tournament BCA rules state that if you pocket a ball on the break in 8-ball, it is an "open table" (meaning you can shoot any ball). Breaker shoots again, and if he misses, the open table goes on to the opponent.

PPS:

BTW, can anyone tell me how to and when 'Jump-balls' are supposed to be used? I just hit the bottom of the cue-ball so that it'd hop over a ball I don't want moved right?
Don't jump like how you just described. Not only is it illegal, but you **** up the cue and the table.

Diaoz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah k thks all.

have been busy the last couple of days and coulnd't reply.