Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Paralyzed by girls giving me the "deer in headlights" look -- can't smile at them!

numlock

Don Juan
Reaction score
oftentimes i find myself locking eyes with a girl without hesitation or fear, but then the girl just stares right back at me like a deer in headlights. at this point i'm almost paralyzed and i can't bring myself to smile at them! any attempt at smiling comes across as fake

any tips on how to squeeze out a genuine smile in a situation like this? since the "stare" only lasts a few seconds at most, i find it hard to think of something humorous in my mind to help bring about a smile (in such a short time interval)

thx!

MDgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
East Middle North America, near the water.
I'm going to guess that they're giving you the "deer in the headlights" look maybe because they're either sort of shy or you're just like a Tom Cruise lookalike? Or do you have a huge horn sticking out of your forehead? Depending on how you answer depends on the advice I can give you.

MDgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Slickster
You'll find plenty of advice about "deer in the headlights" looks in this thread.http://www.sosuave.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30858

Be sure to read till the end cuz you won't want to miss anything.
The way I'm reading the above thread is that the guys are supposed to affect the "deer in the headlights" look in order to attract the girl. Numlock is saying he's finding girls are giving this look to him .

numlock

Don Juan
Reaction score
i can totally tell that these girls are attracted to me. it's more of an expressionless look of attraction or very solid eye contact -- i know that a smile would put me at a huge advantage, but i just can't squeeze one out!

Walden

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mental rehaersal.Sounds stupid but it trains your reflexes to act right when youdon't have time to think of what you're gonna do.

Boricua_33015

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yo numlock that happens all the time too.

I think the best thing to do is wink at them. Or get up close to them say loudly "what!?" with a little smirk on your face. Or you can always nod and say hi!

But you have to do these things quick because these situations last only a couple seconds. Be ready for them.

Of course I could use some of my own advice, but I too get paralyzed and start panicking "what if I wink and she rolls her eyes or rejects me? what if she rejects me and then goes and tells her freind about it? what if another guy sees me do this and the rejection, what s he gonna think?"

I know I shouldnt care what other people think about me but I just fear humiliation.

Nicholas Hill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Having tried and tested this sort of stuff, I can agree that a wink is surely the way forward. You'll be smiling because of the "silly thing you've just done" as well - all works to your advantage!

Imagine a cute girl winking at you - you'd like that, yes?

There's no such thing as rejection with winking - its completely harmless, non intrusive and if she DOES somehow reject you - then guess what? She's mean, stuck up and an ego-sucker.

Boricua_33015

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol, one time I winked at a girl but it came off weird as hell. Since I was nervous I kind of winked weird, like halfway winked, and it came off forced as hell as if my eye had acid in it, lol. Good thing she didnt even notice and looked away before I started the wink.

crackhead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
HAHA Boricua that was funny

I too have this same problem, and I don't think I even know how to wink without it looking like more of a spasm than a gesture.

I swear one of these days I'm gonna muster the courage to do what somebody in here suggested (can't remember who) and walk up to a super hottie and say "Hi my names crackhead and I'm conducting a social experiment to overcome my fear of talking to women I find attractive, thanks for participating" and then just walk away. If they see it as a cool convo starter or way of introducing yourself, cool. Then start talking to them and spit your game. If not, move on and don't care about it.

I gotta try it, there are just toooo many beautiful women walking around every day that all I do is look at.

trajhenkhet

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Set your face with a smile before the approach even happens.

Dee-Zy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what the hell is the deer in headlights look???

numlock

Don Juan
Reaction score
Set your face with a smile before the approach even happens.
i try and do this when i'm approaching -- but my problem is when i make unexpected eye contact with a girl. say i'm walking through the mall and i see a girl standing outside a store. i didn't plan to smile at her because i didn't see her from far away -- instead, eye contact is spontaneous and requires a quick smile

i like the winking idea -- i can definitely see how the wink would even make ME laugh! that's great, i'm going to try it

what the hell is the deer in headlights look???
it's when you make eye contact, and she just gives you this expressionless gaze -- sometimes the girl's eyes will widen -- but she's mainly waiting for you to make a move, ie. smile (or wink!) ;)

MDgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by numlock
it's when you make eye contact, and she just gives you this expressionless gaze -- sometimes the girl's eyes will widen -- but she's mainly waiting for you to make a move, ie. smile (or wink!) ;)
Yep, it's a real funny look. I've noticed the shyer girls tend to do this. Certainly does knock you off balance if you don't know how to handle it. I always tried just thinking of something off of the top of my head to say, and try to start a conversation... but after reading this post I think I might try smiling a little more, or doing something a little off the wall, like touching her nose and saying "beeeeeeep"... something to make her smile and laugh, and maybe break her nervousness a bit. (FYI, not on a cold pickup, but with a girl I know well who does this to me.)

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MDgood
The way I'm reading the above thread is that the guys are supposed to affect the "deer in the headlights" look in order to attract the girl. Numlock is saying he's finding girls are giving this look to him .
That link was a joke. If you read the thread I gave the link to you would see what I mean.

Dee-Zy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by numlock
I think I know what you're talking about - yet not sure...

numlock

Don Juan
Reaction score
nonetheless, it's still a positive look! she's so taken aback by you that she has no reaction