Simple method on improving your Speech!

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you ever started a conversation with someone or just had to talk and you found yourself:

-Hesitating?
-Talking too fast?
-Stumbling on your own words?
-Talking real low?
-Getting nervous?
-Running out of breath?

Well, If you have had any of these, then you probably have poor Verbal communication skills.

Your verbal communication is very important. It not only helps with women, but it will help you proceed and get "special services" or just what you want in life. I believe one of the key principals to becoming a Don Juan is being able to effectively talk and get your point across to everyone you encounter. Let's face it, we have all heard people who have poor speech talk and just think : "Geez, this person is reaallly sloppy when he/she talks.. Makes me not want him/her to talk and or me not want to talk to him/her..."

This method is pretty basic. In fact, your parent(s), siblings, or guardian(s) or whoever probably already did this to you when you were younger.

It's Reading aloud.

Reading aloud is a GREAT exercise for verbal communication. It helps you:

-Emphasize on the pronunciation of words so you don't stutter.
-Helps you slow down and read ahead so you don't talk too fast.
-It can also help you project your voice in a manner that can be heard.
-And of course, the more you do it, the less nervous you will be.

Now I'm not saying go to the library and pick up some Harry Potter books and read them aloud.. I mean you can but.. :whistle: You just need to take the time and read everything you see aloud. I would do this in private, talking to yourself sends a bit of a bad message...

The way i do it is every time I have to read something, whether be in a game, something on SS, or a news article on a website, i take the time and read it aloud. Reading Articles on SS is a very good method as you're hitting two birds with one stone. You don't need to spend countless hours reading aloud, just spend 15-30 minutes of your time reading something from somewhere every day.

Also if you're in school or college, and the instructor asks if anyone would like to read, volunteer to read aloud!

In my experience, I noticed improvement quickly.

Just remember,
-Read slow or at a decent non-stuttering pace.
-If you mess up a sentence or you think you're reading too fast, start it over.
-Pronounce each word you get wrong at least 3 times before starting over.
-Take deep breaths after periods.
-Like i said this is best to do in private, so you can talk in your normal voice tone.

Remember to drink some water, your mouth may get dry.

After a while, you should notice improvements. A quick way i test it out is i hop on a game that has Voice Chat and just hit up some conversation with other people who also have mics.
Bringing up conversation is a different topic, so here are some good sources.

Scroll down and refer to Step# 7

http://www.mts.net/~bpony/djbible/

bradd80's Secret Guide to become a Don Juan, Scroll down it's:
LESSON XXVII: HOW TO TALK TO WOMEN

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197705&page=5
(I would read his whole post if you haven't, it's worth the read!)

Now when it comes to talking to people in person, it should be a whole lot easier than actually reading.

Cut that awkward socializing bullsh*t and start being the smooth talker you are! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JBB84

Don Juan
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with this more. I have been doing this on and off for some time now. Tone of voice and speaking clearly/smoothly is huge.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is an excellent post. Repped.

If anyone does this (and you should), remember that you will likely perceive a cognitive dissonance, a vaguely uncomfortable feeling as you're doing something out of the ordinary and hearing yourself. Just blow through that... it disappears quickly.

Good job, Frayzer.

Dedication

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
After last night I know I'll be working on my verbal game. **** it, at least 15 minutes of reading out loud is something I can afford right now. I'll keep track of a few habits and see were that leads me.

bluenorther

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Record yourself also. It's freaky at first hearing your own voice, but you get over it, and it definitely tells you what you need to know.
Do public speaking programs. Toastmasters groups are everywhere, and they have great advice. Their typical "speech" is supposed to be 7 minutes, no more. When your boss finds out you're in Toastmasters, you'll be the one sent to make the big business proposals.
I get called to do living history programs for 8th graders, so I have to speak well and keep them entertained, not always easy. I can talk in front of a group of any size today. Sure, I still get the jitters, but I just remind myself "I KNOW I can do this, I've done it a hundred times."