When did you notice you physically change cause of your age?

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As I am getting older I realize the days of my prime are fading. However I still feel pretty good physically. I am as strong as I was 10 years ago if not stronger. Will I just wake up one day and feel my body slowdown? For those of you who are older, around what age would you say you noticed a difference in your physical capabilities?

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You will know if you are getting old when you start growing hair in your ears.

Geez man, yer 31? Fvckin puppy. You have the best years of your life AHEAD of you. Heck, I'm in my early 50's. 5'11" and 165 lbs just like always.

Don't worry about this sh!t. Just eat right, get your excersise and don't step out in front of a truck. You'll be fine.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my digestion has gotten worse and I can't tolerate the same crap I used to. Other than that, I don't notice a difference between now and when I was 20.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
synergy1 said:
my digestion has gotten worse and I can't tolerate the same crap I used to. Other than that, I don't notice a difference between now and when I was 20.
That's kind of where I am. I can't eat like I used to...my stomach is smaller and my metabolism has slowed down, so I'd just balloon if I didn't at least TRY to watch myself. I also find I can't drink like I used to.

Use it or lose it...when you're young, your body grows and maintains in spite of you. When you get older, the systems don't work so well if left to sit and rot...you have to keep activating them.

The reason most people feel "middle-aged" by 40 is that they just sit there and expect their body to be ready for action at a moment's notice...then one day they go to get up off the couch and think, "damn, what happened to me?".

romangod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What I noticed as I get older is all the aches and pains come home to roost. I was an athlete in my younger days and broke a few bones playing football along with various other sprains and pulled muscles.

There's now always some ache or pain nagging me. You learn to live with it.

Cheers!

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
synergy1 said:
The digestive stuff is what I was thinking. I eat smaller meals than I used to. Also when I was younger, I could eat anything and still sh@t like a horse. Now I get constipated a bit more easily. Other than having to modify my diet a bit, there is not that big a difference.

Falcon25

Banned
Reaction score
I can't eat dairy products or I will **** myself. And hair in the ears have started appearing. I have 17 grey hairs and rising (stress). Other than that, I feel great. Knock on wood.

Bluntmaster

Banned
Reaction score
5string said:
Somebody pass me the Pepto Bismol and get me a beer to chase it down with.

Screw Pepto Bismol. I take a prilosec every morning and after that I can eat a brick and still have dessert.

TomSwift

Don Juan
Reaction score
This may just be my state of mind, but I feel stronger and healthier now at 39 than I was in my 20's. I don't know, maybe it's a mind/body balance thing. In my 20's I didn't really take care of myself because I thought I didn't need to. Today, I eat better, cut out all processed foods and refined sugars, I work out regularly, and have a much better mindset on life in general.

Sure, there are more aches and pains I suppose, but nothing I really notice all that much.

You have some years to go before you have to mourn your "prime."

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like Tomswift, I feel and look better now than I did at 18 or in my early 20s. Why? Because I take more care in myself, workout, eat well and don't drink or smoke.

Age is too often used as an excuse for being complacent and letting oneself go.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm far more athletic & stronger now (objectively, not just feeling) than I was in my late teens and early 20s, and by the time I reach your grand old age of 31, I'll be much better than I am now.

I can tell a story of a 79 year old powerlifter at my club, who started lifting at 70 years of age, which would really make you feel like a little girl, but safe to say, you're very young and far from done.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
honestly i've never looked better lol. i'd take me now over when i was 21

ElChoclo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You won't "notice" because it is gradual. Did you notice yourself getting dumber as you passed your mid 20s. Some people claim that mid 20s is the age of maximum mental ability as shown by the age when scientists and mathematicians do their most impressive work eg Einstein's miracle year.

Some body builders (not Arnold) remain fairly much in shape until quite late in life. But they had to work at it. So it depends what you have been doing with yourself and what you continue to do to yourself. However no man triumphs over his genetics, so you should look to your close relatives for clues as to your fate. DNA is destiny.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello Reyaj,
Oh you are just a puppy,different Folk age quicker than others a Slim Anglo Type will peak around 35 certainly not that peak performance that wins the Tour De France,but overall Physical and Sexual performance....Mentally and Spiritually maybe you peak somewhat later...Its very much a matter of working within your capabilities and not Knocking yourself around....Around about 45 you start asking yourself "Am I losing it" perhaps a few years later you realise you have but you become happier,more resigned to the biccies fate has doled out to you.

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd like to add that I feel better now than I have ever felt in my entire life.

I quit smoking about 3 years ago, am eating right, exercising (although i am slacking lately) and best of all...
my libido has never been stronger. More so than when I was in my teens or 20's so yeah.. i feel good.

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
I'm far more athletic & stronger now (objectively, not just feeling) than I was in my late teens and early 20s, and by the time I reach your grand old age of 31, I'll be much better than I am now.
Agreed. Looking back to what I was like 10 years ago, I am much fitter and stronger now.

Only thing is when I drink it hits me a lot harder now than it used to.

I've seen my dad let himself go over the years (he is now 56) and don't want to end up like that, so have a poweful motivation to keep it up, plus it makes me feel good to live well and keep fit and strong.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol at these guys who are 30 and say they feel great.

I was 36 the first time I noticed any physical changes. I started to have some acid reflux (seems like the digestive problems are common from reading this thread). My metabolism slowed and I couldn't eat whatever I wanted to anymore without putting on pounds. It's been a slow general decline since then, even though I'm still in pretty good shape since I exercise regularly.

Aging affects people differently, but basically the body isn't quite as resilient as it used to be. It won't heal quite as quickly, the joints will ache if they take too much pounding or overuse. The reflexes aren't quite as fast. That's why you don't see 50 year old football players. Sometimes I have trouble finding the energy to do all the things I want to, that's probably what bugs me the most.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
forgot to mention what the poster above me did; athletic injuries linger just a little bit longer. I skate a lot which means hip flexor issues, which really hasn't gone away since a bad day deadlifting 2.5 years ago. Lower back used to be worse in 1999 than it is now, but still can hurt after a bad day skating. A year ago, I caught a break away pass and actually tweaked my lower back which made me realize i am not 19 anymore :(

Strength is a whole other story, which has improved significantly. I played against the kids on the JV team at college and found that the power from my shot was significantly better than the kids who played in high school recently. Speed and agility seem pretty much in tact as well.

There is a guy who skates every week who is 62 or so but still hauls like the best of them. He isn't as fast as I am ( who is ?? ha ha), but I continually tell the guy that he is my inspiration to play well into my old age. for me, thats 32 more years! You gotta respect the guys who can still do that. Heck, one of the older guys played professionally and can still make people look dumb.

..i'll step off my hockey soap box. its too easy to get carried away :p

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my dad is 51, and can, and still does, take me to school on the basketball court, we went to the court the other day. i jump higher than he can now, i'm more athletic, but i can't beat him, and i have a little game. but my dad was a legend down here on the court, but the fact he can still go at 51, and I mean GO.. like if we were playing pick up ball and i was getting a 5 man team together i'd pick my dad and not th ink twice, and know we are going to win.