Old 08-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
bigshot
Don Juan

bigshot has disabled reputation
Article: How to Eat Your Eggs for Maximum Health Benefits

http://blog.totalhealth4life.net/?p=115

Quote:
How to Eat Your Eggs for Maximum Health Benefits

Eggs are often one of your most allergenic foods, but I believe this is because they are cooked. Heating the egg protein actually changes its chemical shape, and the distortion can easily lead to allergies.

If you consume your eggs in their raw state, the incidence of egg allergy virtually disappears. It is my belief that eating eggs raw helps preserve many of the highly perishable nutrients such as lutein and zeaxanthin, which are powerful prevention elements of the most common cause of blindness: age-related macular degeneration.

Fresh raw egg yolk actually tastes like vanilla. It can be eaten “Rocky style,” combined with avocado, or in a shake with whey protein powder, raw kefir, or a small amount of berries. However, egg protein is easily damaged on a molecular level, even by mixing/blending. If you choose not to eat your eggs raw, cooking them soft-boiled would be your next best option.

Scrambling your eggs is one of the worst ways to eat eggs as it actually oxidizes the cholesterol in the egg yolk. If you have high cholesterol this may actually be a problem for you as the oxidized cholesterol may cause some damage in your body.

If you’re in the habit of eating only the egg white, be aware that controlled diets of only raw egg whites can lead to severe biotin deficiency.

Why?

Because when you consume raw egg white alone, without the yolk, a component in them called avidin binds to the B-vitamin biotin, potentially creating a deficiency in your body.

To make sure you’re getting maximum benefit from the whole egg, follow these recommendations:

My primary recommendation, and the one I follow, is to separate the yolks from the whites so you can cook the whites and consume the yolks uncooked, or raw. The white can be cooked and eaten on its own. Although cooking the white reduces the nutrient quality and perhaps increases allergic sensitivities to some, the avidin in the egg white breaks down when cooked to 100 degrees Centigrade, therefore releasing the biotin back for your absorption and virtually eliminating any risk of biotin deficiency.
Don’t eat raw egg whites every day. Allow your biotin reserves to rebuild and eat only raw yolks as an alternative breakfast.
Eat yolks one day then whites the next. Remember that the biotin loss occurs in your digestive tract when the two molecules bond together before it is even absorbed. Eating the yolk and the white separately will greatly reduce the problem.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
i am me
Master Don Juan

i am me is on a distinguished road
woah. so it IS safe to eat eggs raw?
i am me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Roy
Don Juan

Roy is on a distinguished road
Yeah i guess so, buy the organic free range eggs.
I usually scald them in boiling water for 5 seconds before cracking them into my shake. This is to kill any bacteria that exist on the shell (e.g. salmonella).
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
mrRuckus
Master Don Juan

mrRuckus is a splendid one to beholdmrRuckus is a splendid one to beholdmrRuckus is a splendid one to beholdmrRuckus is a splendid one to beholdmrRuckus is a splendid one to beholdmrRuckus is a splendid one to beholdmrRuckus is a splendid one to beholdmrRuckus is a splendid one to behold
oh nooooooooooos oxidized cholesterol!!!
mrRuckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
I-tallionStallion
Master Don Juan

I-tallionStallion is on a distinguished road
I eat 12 shoprite brand eggs everyday. Screw the open range and boiling them...just friggin drink it.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
HandyAndy
Banned

HandyAndy has a spectacular aura aboutHandyAndy has a spectacular aura aboutHandyAndy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-tallionStallion
I eat 12 shoprite brand eggs everyday. Screw the open range and boiling them...just friggin drink it.

Slow down there Rocky...
HandyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
darkme_legendary
Don Juan

darkme_legendary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Screw the open range and boiling them...just friggin drink it.
My father did the same thing before he got married.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
falcon814
Don Juan

falcon814 is an unknown quantity at this point
i eat 2 raw eggs daily.. with protein shakes.

its not bad.
falcon814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #9
kickureface
Master Don Juan

kickureface is on a distinguished road
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716
kickureface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #10
typical
Master Don Juan

typical is a splendid one to beholdtypical is a splendid one to beholdtypical is a splendid one to beholdtypical is a splendid one to beholdtypical is a splendid one to beholdtypical is a splendid one to beholdtypical is a splendid one to behold
The egg white is not too sure about the yolk
typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Drum&Bass
Master Don Juan

Drum&Bass is a name known to allDrum&Bass is a name known to allDrum&Bass is a name known to allDrum&Bass is a name known to allDrum&Bass is a name known to allDrum&Bass is a name known to all
Humorous are the replies of people eating raw eggs and are proud of the amount they consume.

Doesn't matter how you eat your eggs and it doesn't matter how many eggs you eat.

There is no benefit to eating them raw. As a matter of fact a person who eats 2 cooked eggs will gain more nutritionally than a person who eats 2 raw eggs.

I'm not here to tell you what to do though...If your building muscle it would be a good idea to eat eggs along with fruits, veggies, meat, etc...

It is DEFINITELY UNNECESSARY to consume large amounts of eggs as it is unnecessary to consume them raw.

just eat complete/balanced meals through out the day
Old 08-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
I-tallionStallion
Master Don Juan

I-tallionStallion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Yeah i guess so, buy the organic free range eggs.
I usually scald them in boiling water for 5 seconds before cracking them into my shake. This is to kill any bacteria that exist on the shell (e.g. salmonella).

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-tallionStallion

D&B I'm pretty sure you are referring to me but I wasn't bragging...merely trying to give the guy evidence to not worry and quit spending tons of money on organic eggs and wasting time boiling. So hopefully this clears that up.

eggs are cheap, easy, and help fulfill your macro nutrients. Nuff said