Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The cardinal rules for Men in relationships and dating

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I posted this awhile ago on the MM forum, but I though it would fit well in the DJ Tips section. These are just my personal rules; gleaned from my own experiences and the wisdom other Men. Feel free to post your own or add to the list.

In order of importance:

1. Know thyself. Know yourself through experience. What you want, don’t want, strengths, weaknesses, negotiables and non-negotiables. This goes far beyond likes and dislikes. It can only come through experience and reflection. Be sure of yourself and strive to master your impulses. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Remember that rejection is better than regret.

2. Never, EVER compromise your identity or self-worth to please or mold to a woman (or anyone for that matter). Women cannot respect a man who will bend himself to fit his perceived image of her ideal. It is not worth your dignity to compromise your identity for anyone.

3. If your woman is not adding positively to your life, move on. Most of the time you will just know. However, sometimes your own issues or discontent may get in the way. It could be rough period in one or both of your lives. If you have given yourself (and her) an honest, reflective appraisal and you still come to the conclusion she is a negative addition to your life, it is time to move on.

4. Realize that the most powerful weapon you have, next to self-mastery, is your ability to walk away. You always have the ability to walk. That being said, be careful not to get yourself into a position where you have no other options to go to. To use a climbing analogy, don’t climb yourself into a position you can’t climb out of. It may look inviting, but sometimes that ‘ledge’ can become a trap. Always have your bases covered. It’s your ass.

5. The fear of being alone is a powerful thing. It can keep men in relationships that are stale, destructive, or a waste of time. Be honest with yourself about it. Remember that times of solitude are not only necessary but essential to masculine growth. Much like an Indian father would send his son into the wilderness as a rite of passage, so must you spend some time alone to reflect on your past endeavors and failures. In my experience, distance brings clarity.

6. In my own opinion, the measure of ‘quality’ for a woman is not her upbringing, chastity, personality, or looks. These are simply preferences. Quality in my eyes is measured in the depth of respect she has for her man. (Credit to Latinoman for this insight.)

7. This is elementary, but in dating it is very unwise to put all of your eggs in one basket. Never imply exclusivity unless YOU are confident in her demonstrated respect for you, and her matching to your personal preferences. This takes time.

8. Have a firm set of NEGOTIABLES and NON-NEGOTIABLES. Only you can set these. Make sure they are reasonable and are not based in spite for something that someone else has done to you in the past.

9. Beware the power of the word. Your words have the power to edify, create, and preserve, or the power to utterly destroy. The things that come out of your mouth (or keyboard) have greater repercussions than you might think. A harsh word uttered in anger can erode a relationship like a river through sand. Once something toxic has been said, it is impossible to erase, unless that person chooses to forgive you.

10. Last but certainly not least, be cautious with your sexuality. It may sound parental, but nobody thinks they will get caught until they do. You can take that to the bank.

eyedogg

Don Juan
Reaction score
Great idea reposting!

Having these to quickly scan and REMIND is very helpful.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
7. This is elementary, but in dating it is very unwise to put all of your eggs in one basket. Never imply exclusivity unless YOU are confident in her demonstrated respect for you, and her matching to your personal preferences. This takes time.

10. Last but certainly not least, be cautious with your sexuality. It may sound parental, but nobody thinks they will get caught until they do. You can take that to the bank.
Can you (or anyone) explain these two a little bit more?

Another thing with exclusivity. If she wants to be exclusive, how do you go about telling her that you're spinning plates? Do you say "No, I don't want to be exclusive with you now."?

I've ran into this type of problem couple of times. She just assumes the worst (that I'm a man-***** and am only using her) and loses interest. I've tried explaining why I don't believe in monogamistic relationships. Either I'm not explaining it well enough or they are not getting the point across. Or there is a third factor.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat said:
Can you (or anyone) explain these two a little bit more?

Another thing with exclusivity. If she wants to be exclusive, how do you go about telling her that you're spinning plates? Do you say "No, I don't want to be exclusive with you now."?

I've ran into this type of problem couple of times. She just assumes the worst (that I'm a man-***** and am only using her) and loses interest. I've tried explaining why I don't believe in monogamistic relationships. Either I'm not explaining it well enough or they are not getting the point across. Or there is a third factor.
Sure.

#7 basically means dont put too much stock into ONE woman, until you have chosen her based on demonstrated attributes. Spin plates. There are a number of threads about plate-spinning, but investing a disproportionate amount of time, energy, thought, or emotion in one woman only sets the stage for YOU being left high and dry.
This type of mentality is what propagates over at places like Loveshack. They cannot wrap their minds around maximizing options and what that means to masculine self-development.

Non-exclusivity is something that should be either covertly implied or directly spoken from the beginning. How you do this is up to you---i prefer to operate on the dont ask, dont tell policy, while periodically alluding to the fact that i DO see other women when im not with her. As long as you do this from the word go, your as$ is covered. Dont pull out the non-exclusive card a month or more into it. This way there are no surprises. A lot of women (and AFC's) assume that sex = exclusivity. A relationship is never exclusive until BOTH parties have expressley agreed to such terms. Ive found that a many women see non-exclusive terms as an excuse for you to fvck other women, or in their eyes be a man-pig. You should be able to articulate WHY you operate on such terms, and that if the right woman proved herself to you then you would have no qualms moving into a mutally-agreed exclusive state.

#10 is about being mindful of where you are sticking your d!ck. Like I said, it sounds parental, but there is a lot of junk out there. Being in the health professions opens your eyes the dirt that no one talks about. You would be shocked. That pristine virgin whom you think is pure as the driven snow?? You have no idea where she has been. People's disclosed sexual pasts are about as reliable as a drunken sailor's fish tale. You never know, so act accordingly.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
10 is such a nice round number, but I have to add another one.

11. Do not seriously consider dating a woman who has significant issues with sex. What you define as 'significant' is up to you, but if they are fussy or overly particular about it now it will likely NOT get any better with time.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
10 is such a nice round number, but I have to add another one.

11. Do not seriously consider dating a woman who has significant issues with sex. What you define as 'significant' is up to you, but if they are fussy or overly particular about it now it will likely NOT get any better with time.
12. Do not seriously consider dating a woman who has significant issues with physical contact, touching, kino, hugging, kissing, etc. She has serious baggage/hangups, almost always due to childhood trauma. You will not be able to fix these problems in 99% of cases, they require professional counseling and often years of it.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
12. Do not seriously consider dating a woman who has significant issues with physical contact, touching, kino, hugging, kissing, etc. She has serious baggage/hangups, almost always due to childhood trauma. You will not be able to fix these problems in 99% of cases, they require professional counseling and often years of it.
And that's no lie....

I guess 11 and 12 could be combined.

Punisha

Don Juan
Reaction score
good post but i believe he missed number
13#Remember: your objective in life is to always get better.dont stop getting better just cause she likes you the way you are

R19

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bump

Unl1m1t3d

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm unfortunately breaking the majority of these rules and paying for it in my current relationship. I see I need to keep studying this board.