Go Back   Don Juan Discussion Forum > Health and Fitness

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Kerpal
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 3,080
Kerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of light
Testing squat and deadlift 1 rep max

I've never done 1 rep max before. I've always done 3 sets of 5 for my squat, and 1 set of 5 for my deadlift.

Right now, I do 3 x 5 @ 285 lbs for squats, and 1 x 5 @ 350 lbs for deadlifts.

According to 1 rep max calculators, my 1 rep max in the squat is 321 lbs and my 1 rep max in the deadlift is 394 lbs. I don't know how accurate this is.

I want to test my squat and deadlift 1 rep max. (I'm not going to bother with bench because I suck at bench, I can only do 70 lb dumbbells for 3 x 5, and I've never actually done barbell bench before). I also want to test my overhead press 1 rep max and my power clean 1 rep max, but I care more about the squat and deadlift now.

How should I do this? Should I warm up the same way I do for 3 x 5 and 1 x 5? Should I do them both on the same day? What order should I do them in?
Kerpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Throttle
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 1,866
Throttle will become famous soon enough
why test something you haven't trained for? I haven't done a 1rm max test since high school...
Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Kerpal
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 3,080
Kerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of light
I want to do a Smolov squat cycle and it's based on your 1 rep max weight.
Kerpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Quagmire911
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2,529
Quagmire911 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerpal
I've never done 1 rep max before. I've always done 3 sets of 5 for my squat, and 1 set of 5 for my deadlift.

Right now, I do 3 x 5 @ 285 lbs for squats, and 1 x 5 @ 350 lbs for deadlifts.

According to 1 rep max calculators, my 1 rep max in the squat is 321 lbs and my 1 rep max in the deadlift is 394 lbs. I don't know how accurate this is.

I want to test my squat and deadlift 1 rep max. (I'm not going to bother with bench because I suck at bench, I can only do 70 lb dumbbells for 3 x 5, and I've never actually done barbell bench before). I also want to test my overhead press 1 rep max and my power clean 1 rep max, but I care more about the squat and deadlift now.

How should I do this? Should I warm up the same way I do for 3 x 5 and 1 x 5? Should I do them both on the same day? What order should I do them in?

I'd do them on different days so you can get a more accurate result. I don't know how you normally warm up, if it is similar to the ironaddict post that floats around on here then yes. Something like this for the squat, numbers don't need to be exact:

Barx10
75x6
105x5
135x3
175x1
215x1
245x1
275x1
305x1
320x1-If that felt good, try another set at your disgression. Difficult but not really hard? Add 15-20lbs. Difficult, feel you have a bit more in the tank? Add 5-10lbs. Just warm up accordingly and then listen to what your body tells you as it gets heavy. If the 305x1 felt very heavy you may only want to attempt 315x1 for example.

Hope this helps,

Quagmire
Quagmire911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
Quiksilver
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 26
Posts: 2,877
Quiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to behold
Just make sure you know your body's limitations, and how to not injure yourself.

I did a 1 RM squat a while ago, and I got it off the rack, took a step back, went down....and kept going down. It was controlled though, so no harm done.

With a deadlift, just use good form and if it doesn't come up, it doesn't come up. Keep good form and know what good form 'feels' like, nothing bad will happen.
__________________
Quiksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
mrRuckus
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 34
Posts: 4,376
mrRuckus has much to be proud ofmrRuckus has much to be proud ofmrRuckus has much to be proud ofmrRuckus has much to be proud ofmrRuckus has much to be proud ofmrRuckus has much to be proud ofmrRuckus has much to be proud ofmrRuckus has much to be proud ofmrRuckus has much to be proud ofmrRuckus has much to be proud of
Not very accurate.

for your deadlift:

One rep max (formula one)
weight / ( 1.0278 - ( 0.0278 * reps )) = 394

One rep max (formula two)
weight * ( reps * 0.33 + 1 ) = 408




Poliquin gave what he said was the most accurate predictor statistically as:
1RM = (3RM Weight) + .1(3RM weight)

I tested it since i lift sets of 3 all the time and about every 5-8 weeks do a 1RM test (only because i'm told to by my trainer) and it's very accurate for me... within 5 lbs of all my lifts, which is easily explained since your form probably isn't perfect when you're trying to max out for just one.

Is there really much importance in getting a 1RM if you're not competing? If your 3RM and 5RM are going up your 1RM has to be going up. Is it just an ego thing?
mrRuckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Being_the_Don
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 763
Being_the_Don is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRuckus
Not very accurate.

for your deadlift:

One rep max (formula one)
weight / ( 1.0278 - ( 0.0278 * reps )) = 394

One rep max (formula two)
weight * ( reps * 0.33 + 1 ) = 408




Poliquin gave what he said was the most accurate predictor statistically as:
1RM = (3RM Weight) + .1(3RM weight)

I tested it since i lift sets of 3 all the time and about every 5-8 weeks do a 1RM test (only because i'm told to by my trainer) and it's very accurate for me... within 5 lbs of all my lifts, which is easily explained since your form probably isn't perfect when you're trying to max out for just one.

Is there really much importance in getting a 1RM if you're not competing? If your 3RM and 5RM are going up your 1RM has to be going up. Is it just an ego thing?


I've never understood 1 RM. Is this formula based on body weight?
Being_the_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Quiksilver
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 26
Posts: 2,877
Quiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to behold
I'm pretty sure the formula is based on total load.

Like, say you squat 300lbs as a 5RM. Your total load is 300x5=1500lbs

Your 1RM is a percentage of this determined by averages and experience. By this I mean that when the principle was first defined, they calculated it by what people could normally do. It all depends on the individuals genetics of course, and the make-up of their muscle fibers.

I've found it hard to get an accurate 1RM in the past because its such a fine line to tread, I'll either be able to pump out 5 reps of the 1RM I
was going for, or not be able to squeeze a rep out at all.

That's just my experience talking though.

IMO, 1RMs are worthless unless you're competing, because there's so many variables. Like, say I walked to the gym instead of drove(2km), my legs might be too tired to hit a true 1RM. If I stayed up late the night before, if I didn't carb up properly beforehand, if I didn't get enough fluids in, if I was wired the day before, heck even if I write a hard maths test earlier in the day, it can all play in to how your 1RM lift will go. For this I find that a 3-5RM is more accurate because all that b.s. falls away.
__________________
Quiksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #9
spesmilitis
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,527
spesmilitis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle
why test something you haven't trained for? I haven't done a 1rm max test since high school...

How come no one reppers?
__________________
-
"Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms"

Ron Paul for president 2008

R.P. lights it up @ GOP debate
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8BB3NrSpRGE
spesmilitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #10
MrS
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,379
MrS can only hope to improve
Aim for 7-10 sets.
Your max is aimed at 350, say.

5x100
3x150
3x200
1-2x250
1x275
1x300
1x320
1x340 or straight to 350 if you want.

When building up to a 1 rep max, when the 1 rep is easy, you can pop a 2nd rep, or just jump an extra 10lbs.

I'd aim for 375 max on the DL, and 305 on the squat, see how you go for on those, then move up till you can't go any more.
__________________
"I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'' - Ali
MrS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #11
MrS
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,379
MrS can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver
I'm pretty sure the formula is based on total load.

Like, say you squat 300lbs as a 5RM. Your total load is 300x5=1500lbs

Your 1RM is a percentage of this determined by averages and experience. By this I mean that when the principle was first defined, they calculated it by what people could normally do. It all depends on the individuals genetics of course, and the make-up of their muscle fibers.

I've found it hard to get an accurate 1RM in the past because its such a fine line to tread, I'll either be able to pump out 5 reps of the 1RM I
was going for, or not be able to squeeze a rep out at all.

That's just my experience talking though.

IMO, 1RMs are worthless unless you're competing, because there's so many variables. Like, say I walked to the gym instead of drove(2km), my legs might be too tired to hit a true 1RM. If I stayed up late the night before, if I didn't carb up properly beforehand, if I didn't get enough fluids in, if I was wired the day before, heck even if I write a hard maths test earlier in the day, it can all play in to how your 1RM lift will go. For this I find that a 3-5RM is more accurate because all that b.s. falls away.


I'm going to have to disagree, mate.
I only work for strength, so 1 rep maxes play a pretty big role in my training.
Variables do change things, but VERY RARELY will you get everything PERFECT as you say, and be able to give it your 105% each time you go for the 1RM. Louie Simmons says that if you get to 85-90% of your best, you've won. Anything more will depend on the day, to an extent. So if my 1 rep max on the DL is 300lbs, and I make it to 275, and I just don't have the energy to go any further, I have trained as well as I can for that day and should be happy with the result. If I only get to 250, something is wrong. But over the next couple of sessions, your 275 should get back to your 300lbs and beyond, I'm not saying hit a 1RM and then just do 90% of that.
Only in a perfect world can you eliminate variables, and anyone who has trained knows that if you hang around for that, you'll waste a lot of time.

When you said you can't calculate it properly, why not just set up a weight, and do single reps adding weight each time, see where you get to? These calculators are incredibly inaccurate, in my experience!
__________________
"I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'' - Ali
MrS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
Being_the_Don
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 763
Being_the_Don is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrS
[/b]

I'm going to have to disagree, mate.
I only work for strength, so 1 rep maxes play a pretty big role in my training.
Variables do change things, but VERY RARELY will you get everything PERFECT as you say, and be able to give it your 105% each time you go for the 1RM. Louie Simmons says that if you get to 85-90% of your best, you've won. Anything more will depend on the day, to an extent. So if my 1 rep max on the DL is 300lbs, and I make it to 275, and I just don't have the energy to go any further, I have trained as well as I can for that day and should be happy with the result. If I only get to 250, something is wrong. But over the next couple of sessions, your 275 should get back to your 300lbs and beyond, I'm not saying hit a 1RM and then just do 90% of that.
Only in a perfect world can you eliminate variables, and anyone who has trained knows that if you hang around for that, you'll waste a lot of time.

When you said you can't calculate it properly, why not just set up a weight, and do single reps adding weight each time, see where you get to? These calculators are incredibly inaccurate, in my experience!

I also strength train. I can deadlift two sets (5 reps each) at 280 pounds. So according to what you're saying, if I make two attempts to lift at 300 pounds then my one rep max would be 290 pounds? or would it be 300 pounds since I at least lifted the weight from the floor?
Being_the_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
MrS
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,379
MrS can only hope to improve
If you make two attempts at 300lbs but fail? Then it's under 300, but since you do 280 for 5 it should be higher than 280, shouldn't it?
Get under the iron, and see for yourself.
__________________
"I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'' - Ali
MrS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Kerpal
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 3,080
Kerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of light
****... I tried it today and the results were disappointing...

Warm up
1 x 300 (went up easily)
1 x 315 (failed)
1 x 310 (failed)
1 x 305 (failed)

I was really hoping to hit 315

Bodyweight is 175 lbs.

I didn't squat for almost 2 weeks before this, so it wasn't due to fatigue. Maybe I'll try it again in a couple weeks.

Last edited by Kerpal : 12-15-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Kerpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
Kerpal
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 3,080
Kerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of light
It's been 24 hours and my legs are pretty sore, especially quads and also hamstrings and glutes. I guess I shouldn't have taken 2 weeks off squatting before this
Kerpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
Quagmire911
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2,529
Quagmire911 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerpal
It's been 24 hours and my legs are pretty sore, especially quads and also hamstrings and glutes. I guess I shouldn't have taken 2 weeks off squatting before this
Quagmire911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #17
Throttle
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 1,866
Throttle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spesmilitis
How come no one reppers?

there's nothing in my daily routine that would require me to lift something only once. I suppose if i were to single-handedly deadlift a heavy object off someone to save his or her life that could be useful. But seriously I don't see any programs build around your 1rm, except those that use some percentage of it to determine workset weights. Unless you're powerlifting competitively, the only other reason to test 1rms is chest thumping. I got that out of my system a while ago.
Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
Quiksilver
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 26
Posts: 2,877
Quiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to beholdQuiksilver is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I didn't squat for almost 2 weeks before this, so it wasn't due to fatigue.

That could be WHY you didn't hit it, Kerpal.

This might not apply for many other people, but I know if I take two weeks off from the gym, I'm sloppy under heavy weight.
__________________
Quiksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #19
Kerpal
Master Don Juan
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 3,080
Kerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of lightKerpal is a glorious beacon of light
****, you're right. I just finished another squat workout and my legs are spectacularly sore. I had trouble walking to my car when it was over. Tomorrow is not going to be fun
Kerpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Kirsch designed by section02


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.