Lack motivation

RedSky

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been weight-training for the last 8 months but recently i'm not as motivated to train as i use to be.

I'm always searching for reasons to not go to the gym and when at gym, i just loss the will to train.

So how do you guys keep useful motivated to weight-train?

navyseal2101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I look at a pic of what I want to be like, also music helps. Just force yourself to start lifting w/e day and youll naturally want to continue b/c of the anti-depressants it releases.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifting for the last 8 months?

How about....hmmm......take a couple weeks off?

Or, if you're not into doing the intelligent thing, you could take a stint into some sort of athletic endeavor. How about boxing? MMA? Try doing an Ironman comp.

Heck, try a different workout even. Do something you haven't done before, that will stimulate your brain and alleviate the depression.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For me there is no think about it attitude. I actually look FORWARD to going, and usually cant wait.

What I have found for most people that have the attitude you do is that they have something that is setting them back. Things you hear normally are...

1. My GF just broke up with me. (not motivated)
2. Its too hard (therefore i'm not motivated)
3. Its not fun and I dont enjoy it (not motivated)
4. I've been at it X months and I dont see too much (not motivated)

All those reasons make people go.... Ah forget it. I'm sure there are more, but you need to find something to motivate you.

I would always tell people to NOT make women your sole reason for lifting, but if you can use it to your advantage, then so be it. Picture this woman you want to be with and go.. you know I can get that if I looked good. So dangit i'm going to hit the gym.

Get a magazine and post a pic of a dude in your room (sounds gay I know) and go... I'm gonna look like that, and then hit the gym.

Again dont make this the ONLY reason you hit the gym, because then if you DONT pick up women, you'll quit, and go... That didnt work, then blame it on lifting.

The down side to all of this is, if you keep having that attitude as to why you look for reasons NOT to go, then you should take up something else. Because an attitude like that will get you nothing.

We can give you many reasons, but if you dont find one, or cant, pick up another sport. This isn't (as I explained in my school post) for the weak at heart, and isn't something you can go... Well, i'll go on Friday and maybe Tuesday, and take a week off, or drink myself stupid and go have fast food.

I will tell you one thing though. If you have that mentality when you wake up or before you go to the gym, your not prepared to go, and you might as well skip the gym because you'll be going through motions and that is it.

I keep motivated because I love it, and I do it for myself, and to prove to myself hey, this can be done. Also I am good at it.

I try not to be harsh on people, but sometimes I hear... This is too hard. Then go play in the sandbox or take up ballet dancing. No one said it was easy. Not saying your not motivated cause its hard, but MANY people say that. I just cant do it. Then you know what? FINE, there are those that will and it wont upset us. Hard truth is that not everyone is cut out for this, and that's the way it will be.

DrHouse

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a similar problem and i am feeling a lot better now after cutting back a little. I think i was overdoing it too soon. Having goals and sticking to the program is a challenge that keeps me going and i always feel better afterwards. There are days where it's tough getting to the gym but once there other people there working on their goals clicks on the motivation channel for me also....just get to the gym

bigshot

Don Juan
Reaction score
Consistency is the key my friend. It will be hard but get yourself a a pic of someone u wana look like. then just train and eat till u scream!
Imagine the attention you may get wen u take ur top off at a beach full of HB's. You will feel far more superior to other men.

Or you could just watch rocky or 300 lol, worked for me at one point.

RedSky

Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheers for the advice everyone.
I love weight-training so I will always train whether i'm motivated or not!
Think i'll watch rocky tonight before i hit the gym 2moz.

Climax

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my 2c

I used to gym with a gyming partner (i had 2 gym partners that i went with on different occasions)

Anyways last year I started a new job and couldn’t afford (time-wise) to go to gym, so I bought all the weights and treadmill and cycling machine etc and started to gym from home, by myself.

In the beginning it was nice (because it was something new) but now I find it a lot harder to stick to gym routine because there is always something that comes up when I am at home. But there are things that I use to motivate myself and get me excited about gyming...

I used to run for 15km's or cycle for 45 minutes, and then do a 1hour - 1.5 hours with weights.

I found that music is a great motivation for me, especially the songs with a lot of bass:p

Otherwise just thinking of the future and where I want to get to is the next best motivation... I think forward 5 years where I see myself driving the car I want, I picture myself walking on the beach with my lady, and I picture the happiness it will add to my life.

We become the person we mold ourselves to be (not just physically), and obviously a great piece of art (metaphor) will take a long time to create.. And we might get discouraged at times.. But for those of us that finished the painting... When we step back and look at what we have created we are thankful that we carried on and we know that all the work was worth it. This acknowledgment is enough motivation to keep you striving for your next goal/accomplishment.

britiny_9

Banned
Reaction score
RedSky said:
I've been weight-training for the last 8 months but recently i'm not as motivated to train as i use to be.

I'm always searching for reasons to not go to the gym and when at gym, i just loss the will to train.

it is really a big problem ,you should have doing exercise in home ,through it you can improve your personality
ok

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
RedSky said:

To stay motivated you need a reason for being at the gym. Are you training to get healthier? Stronger? Are you doing it for someone else? To be successful you have to do it for yourself. And it helps to have an image of what you want to your body to look like. Set short term goals and build on them.

Top Bottom