Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Top 100 Conversational Openers

thirtyplus

Don Juan
Reaction score
From http://realitymethod.wordpress.com/2007/02/10/top-100-universal-conversational-openers/

There has been a lot of demand for a repository of conversational openers, so I decided to write down 100 of my favorites, in no particular order.

NOTE: I don’t rely on lines, and I don’t think you should either; but they are a useful crutch to get talking. As you get more used to striking up conversations with strange women, you will inevitably develop a naturalistic conversational style that opens with 99% certainty.

CONTEXTUAL NOTE: All 100 of these openers were selected as having successfully opened, at one time or another, in one place or another, by one guy or another, and lead to positive interactions. Many are very generic; others are more bizarre, but they have ALL worked at one time or another, and they can ALL be made to work.

There all different types of openers: I have grouped them according to their purpose, below.

The Basics
#1: “Hey”
#2: “Hi, I’m [name]” (handshake)
#3: “Hi, I was just sitting across the room and I noticed you over here, so I thought I’d come say hello….”
#4: “Do you guys know when this place closes?”
#5: (at closing time) “Hey where else is good to go around here?”
#6: “Hey, where did you go to school?”
#7: “Hey, YOU. Yeah, YOU.” [commence game]
#8: (if the bartender is busy) “Hey, you’re hot. Get that bartender’s attention over here.”
#9: “So why the long [sad, happy, whatever emotion] face?”
#10: “Do I have food in my teeth? [show teeth]”
#11: “Hi, I just saw you from across the room and thought I’d come over and hit on you for a while.”
#12: “Is that [x drink] you’re drinking?” Or “What are you drinking?”
#13: “Hey, you owe me a drink.” (if she asks Why) “Why not?”
#14: “So, seen any good movies lately?” (if she give you ****) “Just making conversation,”
#15: “You look bored.”
#16: “Have you ever seen so many [losers, hot girls/guys, ugly purses, whatever] in one place?”
#17: “So are you here to drink, dance or ****?” (9 times out of 10 its “all three”)
#18: “So why are you all alone today?” (to a lone wolf)
#19: “Excuse me, are you Catholic [x religion]?”
#20: “My parents taught me it was impolite to stare” (beat, blah blah) “Let’s go dance.”
#21: “Is that YOU that smells so good?”

OBSERVATIONAL (random statements about x, y, or z)
#22: “HOT makeup”
#23: “Hey, that’s a cool / nice [x article of clothing]”
#24: “You look JUST like my bratty little sister.”
#25: “You have an evil glint in your eye.”
#26: “You look like Paris Hilton….a less-evil version of Paris Hilton. Only one calorie, not Paris enough.”
#27: (commenting on another girl’s something) “OMG, I can’t believe she is wearing / carrying that [x article of whatever]” (in a conspiratorial whisper)

OPINION / SOLICITOUS (require feedback, however illusory)
#28: “Do you guys think rockstar David Bowie [x insert celebrity] is hot?”
#29: “Hey, who do you think lies more, boys or girls?”
#30: “Guys, I need a female opinion….[insert bull**** requirement for female opinion story]”
#31: “Who has more sex appeal, [x cartoon character] or [y cartoon character]?”
#32: “Is the music always this crappy [good, whatever]?”
#33: “Hey, have you seen [movie / heard new CD]? What did you think of it?”
#34: “Does my breath smell bad?”
#35: “Is there a draft in here?” (yes, no, whatever) “Well, you’re hardly wearing anything anyway…”
#36: “So which do you think is sexier, boxers or briefs? What about the boxer-briefs? What about on girls?”
#37: “Hey guys…which do you think is better….GANGSTA lovin’….or THUG lovin’?”
#38: “Hey I have a question…would you sleep with Jesus?”
#39: (after girl blows some other guy out) “Hahaha…..huhuhuhh….UR HOT….huhhuh” (Beavis and Butthead imitation)
#40: “Hey, would you date a guy who lived in a tent?”
#41: “Would you date a guy in a wheelchair?”
#42: “Does my bum look big in this?”

MONEY (the really good stuff; high-percentage money)
#43: “So I hear you’ve been talkin’ **** about me.”
#44: “Are you the kind of girl that can take a compliment? Good, me too. You go first.”
#45: (to your wingman) “Wow man, look at that [X quality] on [x girl within earshot, being very blatant] ….****, I bet she would shoot me down INSTANTLY, I cannot go talk to that PREDATOR [overacting]”
#46: “Would you like some gum?”
#47: “Hey, I thought I’d come over and talk to you rather than just staring at you [eye-****ing you] all night.”
#48: “What are YOU lookin at?” (with big playful smile, after strong eye contact)
#49: “Yeah, I’d like a Big Mac and Fries” (at a bank teller or Starbucks cashier)
#50: “You shure got a purrty mouth” (said Sling Blade style)
#51: “Hi. Would you like to come sailing on my yacht?” (doesn’t matter if you don’t have one)
#52: “Woof. Woof woof woof.”
#53: “Do you like potatoes?”

GROUPS
#54: “Hey, did you guys see that [X crazy thing] happening just now at [X location]? That was wild, this [X story-telling….]”
#55: (to your wingman) “Oooh **** man, these are BAD girls…they have a BAD look in their eyes….we should steer clear….”
#56: “Do you guys think I should dye my hair [x whatever color]? What about [x other color]?” (milk it, this one can go on for about 60 seconds)
#57: “Did you guys know Elvis died his hair? Yeah, his natural color was blond. Isn’t that ****ed-up?”
#58: “Ladies, I am an artist, and I’m going to draw a portrait of you for free” (scribble on a pad and make a painfully awkward stick figure, sign it and give it to her)
#59: “Have you guys ever noticed how girls hold their drinks up like this” (hoist glass with pinkie in the air) “And guys hold their drinks like this” (hold drink below the belt)

With Wingman (to Groups / 2 Sets)
#60: “Who do you think has better hair, me or him?”
#61: “Which of us looks like a better kisser?”
#62: “Are you two gay [or a couple]” (beat) “Not that there’d be anything wrong with that”
#63: “How, do you think my friend looks like [x celebrity]?”
#64: “If you could sleep with any historical figure, who would you sleep with?”
#65: “Hi, my friend thinks you are beautiful and wants to meet you, but he’s chicken ****, so I told him I’d come over here and road-test you.”

NONVERBAL
#66: High five
#67: Stick tongue out at her
#68: Clink glasses (cheers)
#69: Throw a piece of ice at her
#70: Swat girls ass as she goes by
#71: Grab/smack ass (if preceded by ****-me eyes)
#72: Suck on your straw like it’s a **** while making strong eye contact; then smile and walk over

THROWAWAY HUMOR (use these as throwaway jokes to springboard to a better topic)
#73: “Is there lint on my jacket? [turn back to her] Brush it off, brush it off.”
#74: “I’ve lost my virginity. Can I borrow yours?” (young girls)
#75: “Excuse me, I just noticed you weren’t wearing any panties.” (wait for response, look at watch, then): “Oh, I’m sorry…my watch is fast.”
#76: “Hey, I just have to say, I really like your outfit, but you know what would look better on you?” (beat) “…Nothing.” (either go with sexual or playfully misinterpret that you were NOT implying nudity)
#77: “Hey, did we go to different schools together?”
#78: “Hey, Laura, OMG, long time, you’ve changed so much!” (when she says she’s not Laura) “Oh my God, you even changed your name!”
#79: “OOGA BOOGA BOO”
#80: “Can I see your uvula?”
#81: “You have a *beep* on your nose” (what? reach over and lightly poke her nose) “BEEP!”
#82: “Can you do me a huge favor? I’ll be eternally indebted to you — Pretend you’re my new girlfriend? My ex is crazy stalking me and she just walked in!”
#83: (walk up to group arms waving) “IT’S SAUSAGE TIME!”
#84: “Do you know kung-fu? Cause your ass is KICKIN”
#85: “Hi, do you have any STDs?” (no, what, whatever) “Good, neither do I.”
#86: “Do you think guys should shave *down there*?”
#87: “Excuse me, do you have the time?” (her: yeah its…) “‘Cause I have the energy”

NEGS (designed to lower her value relative to yours; use sparingly)
#88: “Did you know your nose wiggles when you talk?”
#89: “That’s a nice [article of clothing] you have on….I saw that on another girl just yesterday…”
#90: “Wow, you’re really beautiful….you could be a model….like a hand model or something”
#91: “Is that your natural hair color?”
#92: “Those are great nails….are they real?”
#93: “You look confused.”
#94: “Excuse me, are you tired?” (wait for her response) “Because you look kinda sweaty, like you’ve been running.”
#95: “Excuse me, your mascara is running”
#96: “You have a very unique personal style.”
#97: “So where are all the hot girls at tonight?”
#98: (if she looks young) “So how’d you get your fake ID?”

AMBIGUOUS (about your sexuality, disarms some automatic defenses)
#99: “OMG I love this song!”
#100: “OMG girl you look SOOOO Cute in that skirt…” (affecting gay accent, works best in gay bars)

===

There you go. Print that out. Go out to a bar or pub or street corner or mall and use EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE OPENERS. Cross ‘em off the list as you go; don’t use a single once twice until you’ve used them all once.

I guarantee that by the time you’ve used every opener on that list, you’ll have either a phone number, makeout, or gotten laid.

AckeDman

Don Juan
Reaction score
I figured one out...

Me: Hey! I hear you have been talking crap about me.
Random HB: I dont even know...
Me: Im just kidding... im here with my buddies and they suspect im gay so i went up to a random girl and hit on her.

Here u have 2 options...

Option 1:

HB: Oh ok...
Me: What u belived that to? are u always this gullible...(neg hit and u have her thinking ur funny)

Option 2:

HB: Oh ok...
Me: But now that i see who i ended up with i think its time i introduce myself, im...

What u think? Either way u problably have sparked interest and it works at any place where its crowded.

thirtyplus

Don Juan
Reaction score
AckeDman said:
I figured one out...

Me: Hey! I hear you have been talking crap about me.
Random HB: I dont even know...
Me: Im just kidding... im here with my buddies and they suspect im gay so i went up to a random girl and hit on her.

(snip)

What u think? Either way u problably have sparked interest and it works at any place where its crowded.
Thanks for the adding to the thread....

The "my buddies suspect I'm gay" is a bit weak. If they are REALLY your buddies they KNOW you're not gay.

Instead my advice is just stack. That's my advice for probably 8/10 openers anyway. Just change the subject and roll other material out.

30+: I hear you been talkin' sh1t about me...
Her: what? I don't...
30+: It's ok, don't worry about it. We can be friends. In fact I have a good feeling about you! You have this great personal style going on,
Her: Wha-?
30+: Like the shiny purse you have, I think any chick with a shiny purse has to got to be a QUALITY person. Hey check this out, did you see that girl fight going on outside the front door? these two 6' tall chicks were fighting over this guy, he was like a MIDGEt, like 5"1 I swear, and he was Sicilian I think and they were totally going at it.
Her: haha um
30+: [roll chick-fight routine, or Italy routine, or TallGirl/TallBoy routine] Blah blah, so that's cool right?
Her: Yeah haha
30+: Wow you make me feel so good laughing at all my stories, you are definitely A-Crowd MATERIAL, but I'm still not sure. So answer me this: who is hotter, [x or y]
Her: X
30+: Right on! (high five) Ok I am going to introduce you to my friend (introduce to wing or some other random person) Person, this is X, she is [x quality] and we agree that X is hotter than Y, what do you think?
Person: blah blah

I think you get the idea. "Opening" is just establishing the precedent of you saying something to her, and her listening to it and responding; after that precedent has been set in the 5 seconds it takes for you to spit the opener, you can ROLL OUT the good routines / stories / qualifiers / negs that will GET ATTRACTION going.

Don't forget to time constraint "I've gotta get back to my friends" and don't be afraid to just randomly take away "I'm gonna go dance!" or "I love this song!" Just like girls do to you. Shows lack of neediness.

Lust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thirtyplus said:
Thanks for the adding to the thread....

The "my buddies suspect I'm gay" is a bit weak. If they are REALLY your buddies they KNOW you're not gay.

Instead my advice is just stack. That's my advice for probably 8/10 openers anyway. Just change the subject and roll other material out.

30+: I hear you been talkin' sh1t about me...
Her: what? I don't...
30+: It's ok, don't worry about it. We can be friends. In fact I have a good feeling about you! You have this great personal style going on,
Her: Wha-?
30+: Like the shiny purse you have, I think any chick with a shiny purse has to got to be a QUALITY person. Hey check this out, did you see that girl fight going on outside the front door? these two 6' tall chicks were fighting over this guy, he was like a MIDGEt, like 5"1 I swear, and he was Sicilian I think and they were totally going at it.
Her: haha um
30+: [roll chick-fight routine, or Italy routine, or TallGirl/TallBoy routine] Blah blah, so that's cool right?
Her: Yeah haha
30+: Wow you make me feel so good laughing at all my stories, you are definitely A-Crowd MATERIAL, but I'm still not sure. So answer me this: who is hotter, [x or y]
Her: X
30+: Right on! (high five) Ok I am going to introduce you to my friend (introduce to wing or some other random person) Person, this is X, she is [x quality] and we agree that X is hotter than Y, what do you think?
Person: blah blah

I think you get the idea. "Opening" is just establishing the precedent of you saying something to her, and her listening to it and responding; after that precedent has been set in the 5 seconds it takes for you to spit the opener, you can ROLL OUT the good routines / stories / qualifiers / negs that will GET ATTRACTION going.

Don't forget to time constraint "I've gotta get back to my friends" and don't be afraid to just randomly take away "I'm gonna go dance!" or "I love this song!" Just like girls do to you. Shows lack of neediness.
Personally, i think that was too direct.

With the sort of responses you were getting, I'd try an indirect opener instead.

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
#58: “Ladies, I am an artist, and I’m going to draw a portrait of you for free” (scribble on a pad and make a painfully awkward stick figure, sign it and give it to her)

I'm not big on canned lines/routines but you could have so much fun with this one...:yes:

splinterkb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Those lines are absolutely terrible. Good luck picking any women up with those other than the basic "Hi. My name is.. " and all those.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok add another to the list

"So how long you take to get dressed tonight"

I've used a version of that almost everytime I've talked to a hot girl, works really really well.

THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the only "lines" I've used are the basics, or observational stuff I've made up on the spot

a lot of this canned **** is so stupid

but can be good for a laugh :)

thirtyplus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a good one some guy posted on my blog today:
i just say HI HOW ARE YOU TODAY
easy to say and i off and on follow it up with another question it depends on my mood a how the milf s vibing to me
no anxiety approach with the above

when they r too rude to say anything , i say ‘ not feelin friendly today?
I like it because it's nonthreatening and basic social to start with, and if it gets a bad response (no response) he just rolls on in the same frame, and it's very powerful. It would take a real *****y woman to keep denying that social friendly frame.

Then a girl came on and posted this, which I think is money:

THE best one I’ve ever gotten was: “I hope you have a small vagina because I have a small penis.” It’s great because you cannot be disapointed if it’s true and pleasantly surprised if it isn’t. I bought him a beer!

Last edited: