Critique my routine

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hey, i just started going to the gym and heres what i am doing basically.

4 sets of 6 reps Dumbell Press
4 sets of 6 reps Squats/ Hammer machine..
4 sets of 6 reps Lat Pull downs

The reps are low such that I cannot physically do any more than that, and on some days on the last set I have to go down a weight but doing 8 reps instead. (no spotter). All these are done in a slow/med pace.

I do a few warmup sets before and in between sets I do a mix of biceps/triceps curls, chinups (both types of grips) and some shoulder raises (dunno what its called, but its where you put the bar up to your chin level)

Basically I just want to gain around 10kg...

Current Weight: 57-58kg
Body Fat: probably around 6-8%.
Diet-
breakfast: 6 weetbix with lite milk (family dont drink full cream), a fruit (uaually either apple or orange)
lunch: usually pasta, lasenga from some foodcourt, or rice with leftovers from home.
Between Lunch and Dinner: 1 scoop of whey protein. (23g)
Dinner: some form of steamed fish or beef, some form of vegetation(lettuce, capsicum), fruit (usually orange), with rice.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Flyer said:
hey, i just started going to the gym and heres what i am doing basically.

4 sets of 6 reps Dumbell Press
4 sets of 6 reps Squats/ Hammer machine..
4 sets of 6 reps Lat Pull downs

The reps are low such that I cannot physically do any more than that, and on some days on the last set I have to go down a weight but doing 8 reps instead. (no spotter). All these are done in a slow/med pace.

I do a few warmup sets before and in between sets I do a mix of biceps/triceps curls, chinups (both types of grips) and some shoulder raises (dunno what its called, but its where you put the bar up to your chin level)

Basically I just want to gain around 10kg...

Current Weight: 57-58kg
Body Fat: probably around 6-8%.
Diet-
breakfast: 6 weetbix with lite milk (family dont drink full cream), a fruit (uaually either apple or orange)
lunch: usually pasta, lasenga from some foodcourt, or rice with leftovers from home.
Between Lunch and Dinner: 1 scoop of whey protein. (23g)
Dinner: some form of steamed fish or beef, some form of vegetation(lettuce, capsicum), fruit (usually orange), with rice.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
I suggest you read the sticky by A-Unit and then the Idiot's Guide.. there's a sample routine in there which you could follow quite well. Also, read read read on nutrition.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
eh. We need to have 1 sticky that has links to all the important post.

Idiots guide (for the how to of everything along with practical theory and number of your other post should be added to it like the one that talks about letting go of bulking and cutting)

A-Units (for getting the right concept of weight training)

Squat for big arms (To hammer in the concept even more)

and remove Diesels Guide by all means its time is over.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok cool. any ideas where i can get videos of dips?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Flyer said:
ok cool. any ideas where i can get videos of dips?
exrx.net although if I remember rightly the guy goes down dangerously low - arms at 90 degrees is perfectly sufficient (you'll see what I mean when you see the vid)

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hey cool. I've incorporated dips into my routine and cut out the energy wasting curls. Benching is still more difficult without a spotter thou... Might have to stick with dumbells.

Also replaced the pulldowns to both overhand/underhand grip chinups.

so.. now that most are just bodyweight exercises.. makes me wonder if i still need the gym.

I'll have to postpone deadlifts until i can find someone who can show me the correct technique.

gotta work on diet now..

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright. about 2 months since that last post I've gained 2 kgs

I've splitted the routine into alternate body/legs day.
so it's like.. tues: body, thurs: legs, sat: body.

Legs:
Squats/Deads: 4x6
Calf raises: 4x6
Leg Curl: 4x6
Incline Bench: 4x8

Body:
Dumbell Press: 4x6
Lats: 4x6
Dips: 4x10 (how do you add weight to this?)
Overhand Chinups: 3x8
Underhand Pullups: 3x8
Leg Presses: 4x8

how does this look?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Flyer said:

Legs:

Body:

how does this look?
Hmmmm, i could go in there and change stuff but i basically would be writing you a different routine. Your routine has a lot of volume and unecessary work like 4x6 LAts then 3x8 Pullups, Leg curls are no good, no need to be benching on lower body day and leg pressing on upper body day.

My advice to you would be to go to ironaddicts.com, go to the westsidebarbell forum and pick a modified WSB routine, or another option would be to use the routine from the book starting strength (the routine link is around here somewhere i'll post it when i come across it) ,or the routine WBA has in the idiots guide. All these options are good and you'll make progress if your diet is in check.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Hmmmm, i could go in there and change stuff but i basically would be writing you a different routine. Your routine has a lot of volume and unecessary work like 4x6 LAts then 3x8 Pullups, Leg curls are no good, no need to be benching on lower body day and leg pressing on upper body day.

My advice to you would be to go to ironaddicts.com, go to the westsidebarbell forum and pick a modified WSB routine, or another option would be to use the routine from the book starting strength (the routine link is around here somewhere i'll post it when i come across it) ,or the routine WBA has in the idiots guide. All these options are good and you'll make progress if your diet is in check.
with the volume.. unless i walk out of the gym feeling like i dont have another set left in me, i dont feel good. just aint tired.

If you dont mind me asking, why don't you think leg curls are good? they're bloody difficult..

I've seen WBA's routine and i've tried cutting down the sets... but then again, I just didnt get as tired afterwards.

what'd you do to train?
I'm definately getting stronger each week, but not nessary bigger.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yes. I'm upping 2.5kgs once i hit the 8 reps.

only problem is that my left arm is not catching up to my right arm.

please. if there is a better way. i am more than happy to try it out

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have
Lats 4x6 (24 repetitions. Nothing serious)
Overhand 3x8 (another 24)
Underhand 3x8 (another 24)

You're busting out 72 reps in 10 sets JUST for the lats. If you can pull off 72 reps..then you're not going heavy enough. I'm spent after 3 sets of 8.

That screams overtraining to me. You'll soon learn that just because you don't feel like you're 100% exhausted, doesn't mean that you didnt pull off a serious workout.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah. haha.. thanks for pointing that out.

those overhand/underhand chin/pullups is just body weight... is there a way to increase them?

on the lat pulls i'm doing 70kgs, and that does feels exhausting. (Im 60k)

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Flyer said:
If you dont mind me asking, why don't you think leg curls are good? they're bloody difficult..

Leg curls are deceptive, it feels like your doing a lot of work but all your really doing is giving yourself a pump. Do glute ham raises, hyperextensions and pullthroughs instead

Reaction score
Flyer said:

Legs:

Body:

how does this look?
There's no use in using machines and isolation exercises, you'll see just as much gain from just compund exercises, and get rid of that leg press crap, stick to squats. Also, squats and deadlifts on the same day are a bad idea if done often, it can easily become overtraining. One day do Squats/GHRs, if you can't do GHR do SLDL/RDL. Then the next leg day do regular DL and something like Lunges, the idea is to RARELY IF EVER do a hardcore push (squat) with a hardcore pull (deadlift) so that you don't overwork yourself.
you could check out the link in my sig. I mean, I hate to look like I'm advertising, but it's a forum mainly about athletics, getting stronger, vert training, etc. Also, check out bodybuilding.com HM Sports forum, and read up on stuff by guys like Kelly Baggett, Ian Schmidt, Peter Mundy, Dr. Squat, Tudor Bompa, Nizar Abu-Hamdeh, etc.

Hope this helps out some

- Aprenti$playa&pimp

P.S. You can add weight to chinup/pullups/dips by holding it with your legs.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I assume GHR means glute ham raises?

thanks, effort. I shall incorpororate those into my routine and take out the curls and press like you guys suggested...

we'll see how it goes..

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Aprenti$playa&pimp said:
There's no use in using machines and isolation exercises, you'll see just as much gain from just compund exercises, and get rid of that leg press crap, stick to squats. Also, squats and deadlifts on the same day are a bad idea if done often, it can easily become overtraining. One day do Squats/GHRs, if you can't do GHR do SLDL/RDL. Then the next leg day do regular DL and something like Lunges, the idea is to RARELY IF EVER do a hardcore push (squat) with a hardcore pull (deadlift) so that you don't overwork yourself.
you could check out the link in my sig. I mean, I hate to look like I'm advertising, but it's a forum mainly about athletics, getting stronger, vert training, etc. Also, check out bodybuilding.com HM Sports forum, and read up on stuff by guys like Kelly Baggett, Ian Schmidt, Peter Mundy, Dr. Squat, Tudor Bompa, Nizar Abu-Hamdeh, etc.

Hope this helps out some

- Aprenti$playa&pimp

P.S. You can add weight to chinup/pullups/dips by holding it with your legs.
ta. will check out your site :yes:

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Another 2 months has passed.

current height: 168cm
current weight 61.7kg
bodyfat: 10.7%

Now my routine is a 2 day alternative split:
the following is to be read like this: set*weight(kg)*reps

Day 1:
Bench