Critisize my new routine

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thinking about mixing up my current routine. Tell me what you think. Note that there is one day of rest between each workout.

Current:
day1: legs
day2:chest
day3:back
repeat
ect

New:
day1: chest/back- deadlifts, shoulder press, flat press, butterfly's, rows
day2:legs- squats, stiff-legged/back deadlifts, hip abductor, leg curl
day3:back/chest- deadlifts, pulldowns, military press, rows, incline press
day4:legs- squats, stiff-legged/back deadlifts, hip abductor, leg curl
day5:chest- military press, flat press, butterfly's, incline press
day6:back/legs- squats, deadlifts, stiff-legged/back deadlifts, rows
day7:chest- military press, flat press, butterfly's, incline press
day8:legs/back- squats, deadlifts, stiff-legged/back deadlifts, pulldowns
day9:chest- military press, flat press, butterfly's, incline press
day10:legs- squats, deadlifts, stiff-legged/back deadlifts, pulldowns
repeat

Production6257

Don Juan
Reaction score
You're routine is stupid.

nahh jk. it just said "critisize my routine", so I listened.

But on a more serious note, how about throwing in a day for arms and work it like: Monday- chest...Tuesday- arms...Thursday-legs...Friday-back.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just freakin do rippetoe's and be done with it. someone who knows more than you already laid it out and it works for everyone else. you're not going to magically discover some perfect work out.

pick a routine and hammer it into the ground and stop trying to design your own.

that's like 4 chest exercises on one day btw. two might be too many. three is. military press largely involves the chest so that'd make 4.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like to workout muscels about twice a week. The rippetoe plan has squats three times a week, which is not enough time to recover. Likewise, I don't see much improvement doing squats once a week. I'm sure rippetoe's program is really effective, with rippetoe. However, I'm also sure there are some differences between my body and rippetoe's.

Good tip about the chest exercises.

My arms get workouted when i do any upperbody excercise.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What? Rippetoe's routine is not for himself...it's for beginner weightlifters, mostly high-school and college trainees.

As for your routine. Leg curls, in my experience, are beyond useless...straight-legged deadlifts are dangerous, and I'm not sure why they are even on there. Might also want to think about doing too many exercises for a body part in one day. Other than that, looks fine.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
derEikopf said:
What? Rippetoe's routine is not for himself...it's for beginner weightlifters, mostly high-school and college trainees.

As for your routine. Leg curls, in my experience, are beyond useless...straight-legged deadlifts are dangerous, and I'm not sure why they are even on there. Might also want to think about doing too many exercises for a body part in one day. Other than that, looks fine.

Whats wrong with stiff legged deadlifts?

and spes i'm gonna go on an ask alex's question

Post up an honest normal days eating along with your body weight and estimated bf

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
K, here's my revised routine. Took out incline press on my chest only days. Added a tricept workout. The number before each exercise is the number of sets. Except for rows and butterfly's the first set I do is a warm up set where I use less weight and am 2-3 reps away from maxing out.

Leg curls seem to work for me. Also, I don't know of any free weight movements that emulate the movement of leg curls.

I came up with this routine cuz I wanted to do certain exercises more than once a week. Doing certain exersices three times a week does not give me enough recovery time.

New:
day1: chest/back- 3deadlifts, 3shoulder press, 3flat press, 2butterfly's, 3rows
day2:legs- 3squats, 3stiff-legged/back deadlifts, 3hip abductor, 3leg curl
day3:back/chest- 3deadlifts, 3pulldowns, 3military press, 3rows, 3incline press
day4:legs- 3squats, 3stiff-legged/back deadlifts, 3hip abductor, 3leg curl
day5:chest- 3military press, 3flat press, 2butterfly's, 3tricpet exercise
day6:back/legs- 3squats, 3deadlifts, 3stiff-legged/back deadlifts, 3rows
day7:chest- 3military press, 3flat press, 2butterfly's, 3tricpet exercise
day8:legs/back- 3squats, 3deadlifts, 3stiff-legged/back deadlifts, 3pulldowns
day9:chest- 3military press, 3flat press, 3butterfly's, 3tricpet exercise
day10:legs- 3squats, 3deadlifts, 3stiff-legged/back deadlifts, 3pulldowns
repeat

My stats:
Weigh 133 lbs. In senior year of highschool, I was 95-100lbs and was considered to have a 'muscular' physique. Started eating heavier each year and improving my workouts each. Gained about 8-10 lbs each year. Was 123 begging of this summer, then I found this site and started adding squats and deadlifts to my routine. Was 130 by the end of summer. This week I have no school (spends about 30 minutes a day biking between classes) or brazillian jujitsu (intense cardio workout), and I started the rountine above. Gained 3 pounds this week. Don't know my body fat, probably really low.

Diet:
3 eggwhites, 2 whole eggs
cup of oatmeal
glass of milk with 18 grams of protien from whey added
wait 2-3 hours
meal of whole wheat pasta with chicken
wait 2-3 hours
chicken sandwhich of bean and rice burrito
wait 1.5 hours
workout
protienshake with 40 grams of protien from whey added
wait 1-1.5 hour
whole weat pasta with tuna or salmon
wait 1.5-2.5 hours
3 eggwhites, 1 whole egg.
milk with 20 grams of protien from whey
some cottage cheese
sleep

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, so you're telling us you've gained 10lbs over the summer with what you're doing now (which is nearly all muscle since your bodyfat is still really low) .. I still don't understand why you feel the need to change what's obviously working. Why do you want to change?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got the idea that working out one body part per week is not as efficient as working it twice a week from here:
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97428

Im just trying to see what else is out there. Maybe I can gain 15-20 pounds in the same period. Best way to know something is to try it for yourself. Im not gonna try every routine that comes my way, but this routine makes sense to me.

Im gonna to keep this routine when school starts and check my weight gain. If its slower than the rate of my old routine, i'll go back. Easy as that.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
I got the idea that working out one body part per week is not as efficient as working it twice a week from here:
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97428

Im just trying to see what else is out there. Maybe I can gain 15-20 pounds in the same period. Best way to know something is to try it for yourself. Im not gonna try every routine that comes my way, but this routine makes sense to me.

Im gonna to keep this routine when school starts and check my weight gain. If its slower than the rate of my old routine, i'll go back. Easy as that.
one day you'll learn that 10 lbs over 3 months (nearly 1lb per week) is an amazing gain, and at that rate you'll be up 40lbs in a year's time .. you've found a routine and diet plan that gives you that, and you STILL want to change.

kids these days. lol.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll might learn it in a month at the most (thats how long im planning to try this routine to see if its good).
Even if I don't gain as fast as my old routine, my new routine is still probably good enough to gain weight, atleast 1 pound a month. I was gaining 2-3 pounds a month on my old routine. Even if my routine is bad, thats just 2 pounds a month I lost. I think thats worth it to know for sure whats the most effective way for me to workout.

Besides, it was more like 7 pounds total over three monthes. The last three pounds came from this week, when I started my new routine and dropped all the cardio I was doing. Can't use that to tell how good this routine is though. Have to try it out when Im back in school and bjj.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Whats wrong with stiff legged deadlifts?
The potential for injury is quite a bit higher than traditional deadlifts. And its yield, compared to traditional deadlifts and squats, is mediocre.

spesmilitis said:
Leg curls seem to work for me. Also, I don't know of any free weight movements that emulate the movement of leg curls.
Exactly. It's an unnatural movement. There is no way to naturally make that movement except by some engineered machine. Properly done, squats will horribly demolish your hamstrings. The raw power, the implementation of most of the body's muscles, the neuromusculuar benefits, and the naturalness of the squat is infinitely more valuable than isolation exercises. The hams are designed to work together with the quads and the hips and the gluts and the lower back, not to work seperately. The more you seperate and isolate, the weaker things get, the less power you can exert, the less workout you get, and the more time you waste.

Anyway, if you do squats right, there's no way in hell you'd be able to do leg curls anyway. Try to avoid machines at all costs...

Top Bottom