Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Overhead shoulder press question

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If the weight doesn't feel that heavy to me, but my lower back starts hurting, is it because I'm somehow not isolating the movement and I'm utilizing my back muscles too much?
(I use a Powertec machine)

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
1. Don't use a machine. Use a barbell instead.
2. If your lower back starts hurting, then it's either an indication that you're not engaging your core enough, or your core itself needs to be strengthen.

Are you doing it seated or standing? If you're standing, then your core is engaged more than it would be while sitting.

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi S.C., thanks for responding

I know that the standard thinking in the fitness community is that barbells are better than machines, but I lift alone in a nice home gym I constructed in a spare room in my house, so for safety reasons as well as space considerations, I don't do any big barbell movements. Instead, I have machines, as well as a dip station and a dumbell rack. Furthermore, I was a serious lifter in my teens and late 20's, so I've already experienced my genetic potential as far as muscle building is concerned, and at this point in my life, I don't think it would make a big difference on wheather I used free weights or machines.
I do know that free weights help with the stabalizing muscles better than an isolating body part machine.
I asked my question from a physilogial point of view regarding the relationship between the shoulders and lower back in lifting. Like I said, the weight that I was using didn"t feel that heavy to me. I do buy your theory that my core might be weak. I do the exercise seated.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
S.C nailed it, look into foundation training, pilates and yoga to learn what it really means to activate the core. Use the Dumbbells for standing overhead presses.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only thing I would add is, if you have low back issues while performing shoulder presses. Try using a back support or a seated over-head press. You can do dumbbells, barbells and off pins in the power rack.. Considering your age, do what you can do and if it causes you pain, ditch the exercise.

Other things could be your form/technique. Though with a machine, your locked into the machines groove. Could be a low-back or core weakness coming out. are you going too heavy?