Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cutting Carbs

logicallefty

Reaction score
What's a reasonable number of g carbs/day for weight loss?

In the past three weeks I have been doing 1800-2000 calories/day and trying to do 70g carbs/day or less. Lost 8-10 lbs already, feeling pretty good.

I've always wondered what a reasonable number of carbs/day were. I know 20g or less and the weight will come off like mad but it's not healthy that way.

There are days when about 70g carbs/day seems all right, and other days where I wish I could do a few more.

Just wondering what you other guys have done regarding carbs in specific.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know 20g or less and the weight will come off like mad but it's not healthy that way.

Says who? All you have to do is cut out all sugar, wheat, dairy, and corn, and it's not that hard at all. Nobody needs those particular foods to be healthy. Humans didn't have them at all for two million years or so.

The answer to your question depends a lot on the source of the carbs. Vegetables have a small amount of carbs, but a lot of fiber. Brown rice has a fair amount of carbs, but a massive amount of fiber as well.

Those carbs are not the same as drinking a pepsi. Refined sugars cause an insulin spike that leads to them being very efficiently converted to fat. That doesn't happen nearly as badly with high-fiber, unrefined foods like brown rice and vegetables.

Activity level is the other factor in whether or not carbs make you put on fat. After a long workout of high-intensity cardio, like boxing or wrestling, even sugar will build muscle, as long as it is only consumed 6-8 hours post workout.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I much prefer some type of cycle whether it be a carb cycle, a caloric cycle or both...

A long term ketogenic diet will leave you feeling flat, you will likely lose size and will definitely lose strength and usually quite a bit as the glycogen stores get depleted in the muscle.

A simple cycle where you go low carb Mon-Sat and have a refeed on Sunday where you go high carb to replenish glycogen for the first 2 weeks and then shift to a 2 day refers on Saturday and Sunday after that going low carb M-F will give you similar if not better results without the flat feeling, loss of size and loss of strength...

U

user43770

You don't necessarily have to cut carbs to lose weight, as long as you keep your calorie intake under your basal metabolic rate. The problem with carbs is that they are often times high calorie/ less satiating, meaning you have to eat more of them to feel full.

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
Under 30 grams. Your sources of carbs should come from broccoli and spinach. Make sure you up your fat intake to balance the ratios.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree with long term cutting of carbs without proper refeeds. You will lose size, strength and will feel flat. Do it if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
marmel75 said:
I disagree with long term cutting of carbs without proper refeeds. You will lose size, strength and will feel flat. Do it if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you.
100% correct. If you are doing low carbs (<50g a day), then you need 1 proper refeed every week or every 2 weeks.

You don't need to do low carb at all. I eat ~180g carbs a day and ~2100 calories total. The carbs I eat are mainly complex carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats, etc. I'm sitting around 11-12% body fat right now and dropping by the week.

Carbs get a bad rap because people are stupid and eat a ton of **** carbs and wonder why they get fat. Carbs are great for your body if you eat the right kind and amount.