Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cell phone number?

krd

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of what you guys call the "number close". This is the second day in a row that I've been able to get a girls' phone number and I don't think that's ever happened to me before. However there are a few things that I am still a bit curious about.

When the girl gave me her number I just said thank you and left. Once I finally got a chance to look at the piece of paper, I realized it was her cell phone number. My question is, does this count? I thought I remembered hearing that if she gives you anything other than her home phone number, it means she's not really interested. Should I give up on this girl or do I still have a chance?

Another question I have is about the line I've been using. Before I would get up to leave, I'd say "Listen, I was wondering if I could get your number so we can talk later." Is this direct enough? Should I tell her I'm intending to ask her out on a date, or will she pick up on this? I would appreciate any advice you guys may have.

Irish

Don Juan
Reaction score
It could count. When I give my number to anyone clients, women, etc. It's my cell phone # (mostly because I am rarely home due to business or personal activities). Same may be the case for her.

One thing to watch out for, though, often women give their cell because they can't give their home otherwise boyfriends, husbands, etc may answer.......

------------------
*The man that says a thing is impossible is often interrupted by the man doing.

The laws of physics say that a bumblebee is not aerodynamically designed to fly. Fortunately, noone to the bumble bee, he flies anyway.

(also known as Gonconaugh)

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's perfect krd.

I'm a pro at getting phone numbers although I rarely call them. LOL

Most girls I look at as just practice. I have pretty much 130 numbers of different girls. I retrieved all those in a matter of days. I tell ya though. It's hard to be a player in that sense. You have to seize every moment, and make sure the girl you just asked isn't around the girl you're asking.

What I find the best way to get numbers is to let the girl play with your cellphone if you have one. If she starts playing a game, let her be. After she's done, say something like, "Hey put your number in there."

Never ask a question when you want something. Command it, or demand it.

------------------
"Without Change There Is No Progress" - M. Ramsay

krd

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Irish, that's kind of a relief, because I was all excited that I managed to get her number, and what a disappointment when I saw the word "cell" on the piece of paper. So it's good to hear someone say that a cell phone number is acceptable.

And Demon, no I don't have a cell phone. But if I ever get one I'll try your suggestion. 130 numbers in only a few days? Man, that's great! How did you do it? And how many of these numbers turned into dates? There's no denying you've got skills.

I know that many of these numbers are bound to be just practice, but eventually, I'm going to have to follow through and actually ask a girl out. Finding out what to do after you get the number is the important part and it happens to be the part that I seem to have trouble with. So the main thing I'm trying to figure out at this point is how to turn a number into a date.

My style isn't to go up to a girl at random and get her number the first time I talk to her (I've tried this, it hasn't really worked for me). My preferred method is to have a few conversations with the girl, and get her number once we're a bit more familiar with each other. That's what I did in these cases. Sometimes, if I feel like we're really connecting, I may ask her right away, but that is rare. So I guess I felt I don't need to be as foward as to actually demand her number, as her impresssion of me is already somewhat established from having met me before. Of course I could be dead wrong. Maybe I should be a little more aggresive in my approach and say "Give me your number!" I hope you guys will tell me if there is something I could be doing better. Your input is appreciated.

Cuffer

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that the cell phone number is even higher up than the home phone number. Think about it, she always has her cell on her, which means you can get a hold of her all the time.. I dunno, sounds right to me

locrian

Don Juan
Reaction score
I dated a girl once who didn't even HAVE a regular phone, her ONLY phone was a cell phone! Some would say that getting a cell number is not as good as the regular phone, but I'd have to say the cell phone number is just fine.

"Listen, I was wondering if I could get your number so we can talk later." Is this direct enough? Should I tell her I'm intending to ask her out on a date, or will she pick up on this?

Of course that's much much better than not getting her number, but an even better approach is building some rapport, making her laugh, then structuring an opportunity for her. I've used this with success: "Well listen, I had a lot of fun talking with you, can you think of a way we can talk again?" Here's the part where she says, "hmmm, I could give you my number!" (What a novel idea!) Better yet, it structures an opportunity to even set up the first date then and there! But don't say "I'm going to call you for a date" or "let's set up our first date" Never let them see you coming.

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of the time you don't need a reason.

Just say something along the lines of give me your number.

For me the "wondering" line always seemed so insecure. It was a nice guy approach.

And krd... like I said in my post. I usually don't call the girl up.
I play more mindgames and usually I'm better at them than most girls. I've met my match quite a few times though. It was a quite interesting battle of wits.

------------------

Irish

Don Juan
Reaction score
True, Coffer

also remember, when she gives out her cell number it means that she is willing to pay for the minutes to talk to you and to have the "anywhere" access.

Turbobird

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Irish:
True, Coffer

also remember, when she gives out her cell number it means that she is willing to pay for the minutes to talk to you and to have the "anywhere" access.
Here in Sweden, It's the one who calls who pays. I'm sure this is how it works everywhere else too?

Poosy Marauder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd prefer a cell phone number to a chicks home phone number any day for the simple reason that you are more likely to get hold of them at any given time.

Work numbers are the one's that indicate a low interest on her part.

suavamente

Reaction score
ahh, but always remember that she can say that you called at the wrong time, or she's getting disconnected. So be aware of the cell phone. home number is always best.

dorian_gray-from.usa

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by krd:

When the girl gave me her number I just said thank you and left. Once I finally got a chance to look at the piece of paper, I realized it was her cell phone number. My question is, does this count? I thought I remembered hearing that if she gives you anything other than her home phone number, it means she's not really interested. Should I give up on this girl or do I still have a chance?

I would appreciate any advice you guys may have.
Cell phone = phone screener

'cause many cell phones now have caller ID.
Is she a business woman? NO, is she a medical
tech?

Work # = phone screener

I don't want you to know what or where I might really live. I give my number out to many different men, on a 1 to 3 scale, you are currently a 4, if I only gave you my first name only.

HOME PHONE = Better, but has caller ID or answering machine = be weary - call to make a date - talk 10 -20 mins - no date, or counter-offer - that is a f___ off. Save your
energies for somethang else!

Jake Steed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"So the main thing I'm trying to figure out at this point is how to turn a number into a date."

Allright, krd. Do exactly as I say.

1. Wait 4-7 days before calling her for the first time. If she seems genuine, call 4 days later. If you got the playah vibe from her, wait 7.

2. Have a plan. (Take her for drinks and play pool. Some action fun date like that.)

3. Call her and keep the convo short. Be friendly and cheerful. Say this "Hey, what are you doing Wednesday night?"
Her, "Nothing. What are you doing?" You, "I'm taking you out! Ha ha!"
Her, "Really. Where are we going?"
You, "Oh, I know this cool place. I'll pick you up at 7 sharp. Be ready."

4. Don't tell her what your plans are. She will try to pry them from you. Don't tell her no matter what. It will drive her wild wondering where you're taking her.

5. Make sure you take her out on a weeknight. She has to EARN your precious weekends!

6. Take her out and show her a great time.

That's it. That's how you do it. After you get the date, get the hell off the phone. Say you have plans and have to go.

Jake

krd

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jake Steed:
Allright, krd. Do exactly as I say.

Call her and keep the convo short. Be friendly and cheerful. Say this "Hey, what are you doing Wednesday night?"
Her, "Nothing. What are you doing?" You, "I'm taking you out! Ha ha!"
Her, "Really. Where are we going?"
You, "Oh, I know this cool place. I'll pick you up at 7 sharp. Be ready."
Slight problem here. Although this is some really great advice, it assumes that the person (namely me) has the means to pick her up and take her someplace. Truth is, I don't have a car and I'm almost ashamed to say I rely on my mom to drive me places. Being 22 years old, I realize this is unacceptable for a date, so I'm kind of forced into an alternative. I just need to figure out what that alternative would be (I know--buy a car, but I can't afford it right now!).

corvetteconv

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok look, it is tricky. The cell phone number usually for me automatically means I probablly will NOT call. This is for some great reasons which were already posted here. She probablly already has a b/f who lives with her, lives at home with parents or she is just plain not really interested. HOWEVER= here in Colorado it is much less expensive to have a cell phone with 2000 free minuits than to have a home phone. I myself do not have a home phone because I refuse to give into Quest's greed (but thats another story). I usually tell people when I give it out that that is my 24 hour number, but here they know that you only have a cell phone. Well all this typing and I dont know if I really answered your question.
I have on one occassion told a woman I really wasnt interested in, "I dont want your cell phone number. If your afraid to give out your home # then I'm not interested." She then gave me the home number and the boyfriend answered! Oh well at least I was not getting involved with someone elses girl.

------------------
"A King who would slaughter the innocent will not cut a deal for you"

Reaction score
In my opinion, the cell phone is the ultimate. She always has it on her and you can reach her at anytime and you know its her your getting. When she gives you the home phone number, she might not be there or you might get someone else, its a big hassle. The cell phone number is where its at.

PortugueseMeatball

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've posted a similar question, and here's the idea I got from discussing it with other fellow DJs:

From all the phone numbers she can give you, the home phone number may just be the most direct indication of her interest. Cellular phones are fine, but she may just refuse to answer it: the caller number will show on the screen and she may suspect it's you and not answer. In that case, I recommend that you leave a SHORT MESSAGE (leave your name because she most likely doesn't have your number... just your name, though... if she doesn't remember, it means low interest...) and invite her to call back. If she didn't pick up, she may be doing something else and couldn't pick it up at the time, so don't sweat: just leave your SHORT message, so she may return your call and you can arrange for a meeting for coffee... If she doesn't call back... MOVE ON!, of course.

So, cellular phones are OK, I guess; but don't take it as a green light, it means she's reluctant and you may just have to put a little more effort into it. Home phone number is something more intimate, it's like her giving you her address, it's somewhat more revealing.

Hope it helps... and keep getting those numbers!

Dj Chase

Don Juan
Reaction score
hmm i guess this topic is pretty interesting since so many folks replied..

well heres my little contribution..

Cell Phone Numbers... are great!

since that school shooting a few years back.. everybody and their mamas got one.

infact its more common than a home phone these days.. (especially if u're 25 and under)

*advertisement: for $40 a month u can get a att wireless service including 400 anytime minutes - free long distance - and unlimited nights and weekends*

Caller ID? yes all plans include free caller ID now, but hey it only benefits u more..
Whats wrong with a caller id that is with her where ever she goes.. when shes at a party.. theres ur number.. when shes at the store theres ur number.. when shes at her frens house theres ur number.. and everybody even ur mom (joke) calls back any missed calls.. "hello, did someone call me? it shows this number on my phone"

ok i think thats enuff.. oh yeh who thinks its kinda strange to thank a girl for her number? why are we thanking them? for the honor of speaking to them? come on now.. who's game is it...

(summary

(cell phone = good, thanks for ur number = questionable)

[disclaimer: all spelling/grammer errors made on purpose]

------------------
x..Dj Chase

krd

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dj Chase:
ok i think thats enuff.. oh yeh who thinks its kinda strange to thank a girl for her number? why are we thanking them? for the honor of speaking to them? come on now.. who's game is it...
Yeah, you're absolutely right. When our parents are always telling us to be polite and courteous and say "thank you", we never really stop to consider that it's not always appropriate for every situation. Usually when someone gives me something or does something for me, I just automatically do it without thinking. I just said it casually before I left, so I doubt she gave it a second thought, but sometimes it's the little things that can make you or break you. So I'm glad you brought that to my attention. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Derfel

Don Juan
Reaction score
Demon said:
Most of the time you don't need a reason.

Just say something along the lines of give me your number.

For me the "wondering" line always seemed so insecure. It was a nice guy approach.

And krd... like I said in my post. I usually don't call the girl up.
I play more mindgames and usually I'm better at them than most girls. I've met my match quite a few times though. It was a quite interesting battle of wits.

------------------
WOW
I just imagined you giving tactical advice for your 14 year old son.

Seriously guys, i don't see much reason for more effort than being a mystery since I have a passionate interest in something which keeps me busy anyways.