Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Concerned I've overtrained chest?

Heisenberg

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys. First time H&F poster. About a year or two back when I started a regular workout routine, a big motivator was fixing what I perceived to be man-boobs. Now, these weren't fat guy, saggy boobs - I've always been about 5'9 and 150-160 lbs, fairly slim, but the fat always seemed to gather around my chest so I wanted to blast that away.

Cut to present day. My chest is actually broader now but it appears more muscular - it basically looks like the chest of someone who's been working out 3 days/week for the past 1.5 yrs. They are toned pecs, is what they are. Problem is, despite being muscular, my pecs are just as pronounced as when my chest was more fat than muscle. My stomach is flat from pelvis up, then there's a big curve and a big dent at the sternum - when wearing a tight t-shirt or if I cross my arms shirtless, it looks like I've got a nice set of B's. As I write this, I actually recall being very, very young on a diving board and a girl saying it looked like I had boobs when I crossed my chest. Again, I was never particularly fat, it's just a body quirk.

So I start thinking, shoot, maybe I should take it easy on chest day from now on... But now I'm worried that I've built so much muscle there that if I stop working out my chest, the muscle will turn to fat and it'll be worse than before.

I'm not a gym rat and I don't train to get ripped, I just like to stay in shape and I enjoy the reaction my arms get from women now. My diet's not terrible but it's certainly not a "diet" by any stretch. I eat lots of bread (whole wheat), lots of meat, I drink a lot and have no intention of changing that because it's how I self-medicate and how I socialize. I try to stick to wine and whiskey but I've been drinking way too much beer lately. I'll do something like Chest/Tri's Monday, Back/Bi's Wednesday, Legs/Shoulders Fri, and on the off days I try to do at least an hour of walking OR 20-30 min running with 50 wide grip push-ups.

Any tips?

Heisenberg

Don Juan
Reaction score
PairPlusRoyalFlush said:
Cut out decline pec/dip exercises completely. Only do 1 working set for the lower pec. Do the upper pec first in your workout(incline presses). Then, do an incline dumbbell fly to close the workout out. The idea is to have the upper pec overcome the lower pec.

For the record though, if you do bodybuilding its inevitable that you will look like you have boobs haha.
Thanks, man. So on my regular chest day, the only chest exercises I will do are incline press (upper pec) and incline dumbbfell flies (lower pec)? Should I then cut out the 50 wide push ups I do on my off days? Maybe sub them out for planks or close grip push ups?

Just because I like knowing how things work: can you explain what you mean about the upper pec overcoming the lower pec? I interpret that to mean train the upper pec harder, but I notice in your workout recommendations you've suggested one upper pec exercise and one lower pec, so am I really training one harder than the other?

Thanks.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heisenberg said:
Hey guys. First time H&F poster. About a year or two back when I started a regular workout routine, a big motivator was fixing what I perceived to be man-boobs. Now, these weren't fat guy, saggy boobs - I've always been about 5'9 and 150-160 lbs, fairly slim, but the fat always seemed to gather around my chest so I wanted to blast that away.

Cut to present day. My chest is actually broader now but it appears more muscular - it basically looks like the chest of someone who's been working out 3 days/week for the past 1.5 yrs. They are toned pecs, is what they are. Problem is, despite being muscular, my pecs are just as pronounced as when my chest was more fat than muscle. My stomach is flat from pelvis up, then there's a big curve and a big dent at the sternum - when wearing a tight t-shirt or if I cross my arms shirtless, it looks like I've got a nice set of B's. As I write this, I actually recall being very, very young on a diving board and a girl saying it looked like I had boobs when I crossed my chest. Again, I was never particularly fat, it's just a body quirk.

So I start thinking, shoot, maybe I should take it easy on chest day from now on... But now I'm worried that I've built so much muscle there that if I stop working out my chest, the muscle will turn to fat and it'll be worse than before.

I'm not a gym rat and I don't train to get ripped, I just like to stay in shape and I enjoy the reaction my arms get from women now. My diet's not terrible but it's certainly not a "diet" by any stretch. I eat lots of bread (whole wheat), lots of meat, I drink a lot and have no intention of changing that because it's how I self-medicate and how I socialize. I try to stick to wine and whiskey but I've been drinking way too much beer lately. I'll do something like Chest/Tri's Monday, Back/Bi's Wednesday, Legs/Shoulders Fri, and on the off days I try to do at least an hour of walking OR 20-30 min running with 50 wide grip push-ups.

Any tips?
Cut out the beer and whiskey. Wine seldomly. Also, cut the bread from your diet. You have fat in your chest. It is called body fat. It will also help you not acquire a beer gut.

Tomo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ronaldo7 said:
Cut out the beer and whiskey. Wine seldomly. Also, cut the bread from your diet. You have fat in your chest. It is called body fat. It will also help you not acquire a beer gut.
^This. So many a times I refused to change my ways thinking I was right in whatever I did. But after having a good look at myself, I realised I was wrong. Diet is probably 70% building your body. Your fitness regime if done with the right intensity and program is good enough. It's most likely what you are eating that is the problem. No need to cut it all out afterall you should be able to enjoy life. Simply drink in moderation - it's not that hard to still have a good time. Eating healthy is also a good habit and reducing the amount of empty carbs you intake i.e. bread.

You may think you're ripped but really it is just fat helping you to look 'bulkier'. This was me. It's a matter of moderation and replacement. I've reduced carbs to a minimum eating but fruits and veges to replace on top of everything else and my Sofia Vergara (maybe excessive haha) chest is toning down quite finely - no man boob outline like before.

Heisenberg

Don Juan
Reaction score
PairPlusRoyalFlush said:
Yes, take out of the pushups.

Here is what I am recommending, specifically:

Chest Day

Rotator Cuff warmup

1 warmup set up incline presses (upper pec)
2-3 working sets of incline presses

1 warmup set of bench press/db press(Mid-lower pec)
1 working set of bench press/db press

1 warmup set of incline db flyes (upper pec)
2-3 working sets of incline db flyes
Thank ya, sir. Today is chest day so I'll try it out. I'm not sure how effective just one set of bench/db press is but I'll take your word for it!

Ronaldo7 said:
Also, cut the bread from your diet.
Tomo said:
Eating healthy is also a good habit and reducing the amount of empty carbs you intake i.e. bread.
But, guys, if I cut out bread, what do I eat? I know, meat and vegetables, but what do I put them in? For lunch do I just pile turkey and lettuce on my hand and squirt a shot of mustard on?

Ronaldo7 said:
Cut out the beer and whiskey. Wine seldomly.
Tomo said:
Simply drink in moderation
But, guys, then what do I drink to make the pain go away? I don't smoke or do drugs.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But, guys, if I cut out bread, what do I eat? I know, meat and vegetables, but what do I put them in? For lunch do I just pile turkey and lettuce on my hand and squirt a shot of mustard on?
Don't put them in anything. Add a sweet potato or some potatoes. No mustard. Most of them have sugar.

But, guys, then what do I drink to make the pain go away? I don't smoke or do drugs.
You are an absolute joke if you need alcohol to make the "pain" go away. Get a grip on your life and deal with things, instead of having to resort to being an alcoholic to qualm your "issues".

Heisenberg

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ronaldo7 said:
You are an absolute joke if you need alcohol to make the "pain" go away. Get a grip on your life and deal with things, instead of having to resort to being an alcoholic to qualm your "issues".
High functioning alcoholic, excuse you.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heisenberg said:
High functioning alcoholic, excuse you.
One can only avoid reality for so long.

JonesCrow

Reaction score
Too much chest workout is not good its hard your chest muscles and reduces chest size i thinks the best chest workout is ,.
chest workout is,.,.

5 Sets bench press,.
4 sets inclined bench press,
4 sets Declined bench press,.
4 sets Dumbbell bench press fly ,.
5 sets of dips,.
Orange County Boot Camp

rugby11

Don Juan
Reaction score
Confront the pain directly
as painful as it is just allow yourself to be aware of it and let it be expressed and spoken off.
Espi has a good point about the alcohol