Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I Need A New Car: Jeep Trailhawk vs. Volkswagen GTI

expos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, I currently own a VW Jetta. It's regarded as a chick's car, but I the reason I have it is that:

1. My father worked for Volkswagen - we owned a Jetta growing up and an old VW Beetle.

2. I got a great deal on it from the dealership. It's the only car my ex-wife and I agreed to buying. Well she's gone now and I hate the car.

I want to get rid of it next year. It has 50,000 miles on it and I've got better job that affords me a lot more.

So, with that being said - I'm looking at two newer vehicles.

1. VW GTI - I love the look of this thing, it's well within my price range, and it was named the North American Car of the Year. I still love Volkswagen and this thing is pretty slick and quick.

2. Jeep Renegade Trailhawk: http://www.jeep.com/en/2015/renegade/images/mod-hero/trailhawk.jpg

Does this look like a chick's car to you? If so, I'm not going to bother after getting a lot of sh!t for my Jetta.

I fell in love with this thing when I saw a few commercials for it and when I saw it at the North American auto show. I owned a Jeep Wrangler a couple years back and liked it, but it was noisy and a little dicey in the snow. I've never owned a subcompact crossover SUV either and I'd like to give it shot.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where do you live, what kind of roads do you drive on, and how long do you drive for?

And who cares, VW has their turbo-diesel RR beetle that is absolutely ridiculous that it's just awesome. And not to mention the Veyron... If I had the option between the two that you listed I would pick the GTI otherwise I would pick something else.

expos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frayzer said:
Where do you live, what kind of roads do you drive on, and how long do you drive for?

And who cares, VW has their turbo-diesel RR beetle that is absolutely ridiculous that it's just awesome. And not to mention the Veyron... If I had the option between the two that you listed I would pick the GTI otherwise I would pick something else.
Hey - thanks for replying! I live in the midwest, suburbs outside of Detroit, so a lot of city driving with freeways part of the time. Road trips every so often, but no off-roading.

I also need more space, which is the problem with the GTI.

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
expos said:
Hey - thanks for replying! I live in the midwest, suburbs outside of Detroit, so a lot of city driving with freeways part of the time. Road trips every so often, but no off-roading.

I also need more space, which is the problem with the GTI.
Alright, so it's pretty cold in Detroit so that makes FWD drive trains sort of dangerous on cold surfaces especially in the winter time... That is unless you invest in an LSD or an unlocked drive shaft- so I'm thinking just go AWD if you have the cash(which you said you did). You also need something for smooth sailing on the highway, room for lugging some stuff around, AND something with decent fuel economy- I noticed your interest in Diesel in particular.

What am I thinking is best for you? I'm a definitely a car guy but I'm still only 18 so take this advice at your own discretion.

All of these cars will be in the year 2010 because it is now 2015 therefore making their price almost half of what they originally were.

2010 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ 4WD+: If you can afford to drop $20-40k on some extra luxury then go for it. It's AWD making it ideal for cold/whatever conditions, it has stiff independent suspension making it ideal for long drives and maybe even a some light off roading especially with the elevated chassis and the giant wheels, flex-fuel if you're into that, and enough space to carry a lot of stuff. Oh yeah, V8 5-6liters.

Drawbacks? About 2400 KG, 15-20 MPG, turning will be a hassle at higher speed(if you're into that), may need to get use to the vehicles mass, and no diesel as far as I'm aware of.

If you don't like Chevy then the Cadillac Escalade will always be an equal choice in my opinion.

Don't want an SUV? Get a TRUCK!

Ram 1500 Quad/regular Cab: $15k-30k depending on the package and obviously AWD. This can basically do what farmers do and more, the only reason I would recommend this over the Tahoe or Escalade is because of the Diesel option it has. Any other reasons is obsolete compared to SUV's in my opinion, well unless you run a business that uses the bed often.

You probably don't want any of these.

Since you have a history of getting something Jeep related, I couldn't recommend the Grand Cherokee over any other Jeep vehicle. The Tahoe and Escalade can do everything the Grand Cherokee can(and more in my opinion) except have a V6 Diesel option. So, how much do you like Diesel is my question. Oh, this thing is also about 300 KG's lighter. How much are we talking? $15k-$25k, anything Jeep/Dodge is generally cheap in my opinion anyway.

But then it all comes down to that question... How much do you like Diesel? If you like it a lot, then the TrailHawk V6 AWD model is hands down your best option.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jeep Renegade is a POS. It's a Fiat 500 with a raised suspension and Jeep badging. Is it a chick car? Well, rumour has, it can run on liquid estrogen as well as gasoline.

GTI is a pretty decent car. The Audi-derived 2.0T engine is amazing and so is the DSG transmission. It handles really well for a FWD car too.

expos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It seems like we've got a lot praise for a GTI.

The 2015 Trailhawk will go for $26,000. A 2014 GTI is $25,000.

the_stig

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
expos said:
It seems like we've got a lot praise for a GTI.
It's pretty apples to oranges and an odd cross-shop, but we're comparing a fairly specialized, highly tuned piece of German engineering vs mass produced American iron. Kind of like asking "who has better quality food, McDonald's or Ruth Chris Steakhouse?"

Resale, durability, longevity, driving pleasure, aesthetics, heritage, all side with the Volks.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why would you give up a car that only has 50,000 miles and paid off for a spanking brand new car.

I swear people love being in debt, debt is not normal.

expos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fatal Jay said:
Why would you give up a car that only has 50,000 miles and paid off for a spanking brand new car.

I swear people love being in debt, debt is not normal.
Because I f**cking hate that car and I can afford something better. Not ready to pull the trigger on anything yet, just getting advice here.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just don't understand people logic, you have a paid off low mileage car, and want to go in debt cause you want a car that will eventually stress you out when the payments come every month.

If anything try to trade in your car for a used model so you can pay it off whole or quickly.

you should go to my website, I pretty much broke it down on why you shouldn't get an expensive car

http://thestarsolace.com/luxury-cars-are-a-waste-of-money/