Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Russian (guns) are coming: AK-47s could soon be American-made

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/the-russian-guns-are-coming-ak-47s-could-soon-be-american-made/ar-AA8uogY[/URL]

See, if we didn't allow imports in so freely, then the stuff would be made here. Probably at better quality and at the same market price. Put Americans to work, lowering unemployment, increasing tax revenue and maybe raising wages instead of providing that for other countries that don't even like us :yes: .

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
In my mind no company wants to pay a fair wage to Americans for manufacturing jobs, even though minimum wage is lower than it was 40 years ago when adjusted for inflation. That's what China and Vietnam and other 3rd world countries are good for. Minimum wage isn't minimum enough for greedy companies.

Starvation wage is key to good profit. That is why there are so many illegal aliens here. The companies LOVE to pay them dirt cheap wages. They wouldn't come here if they didn't get jobs.

Good publicity stunt perhaps? Nothing better than an "American made" gun company opening its factory doors to grateful hardworkign Americans, even though the gun parts are probably made overseas, much like today's "American" automobiles...
You get what you are worth. You are only worth the amount it takes to replace you. That's the harsh reality. There is no black helicopter conspiracy.

The only place affirmative action or any of that matters, is in public sector jobs that are easy to get, because those people are easily replaceable. Same reason they aren't paid well, because you don't need skills. If you don't have skills, no one will hire you. And when you DO have skills, nobody cares about race/gender/agendas. If you can make someone money, they'll pay you what it takes.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stagger Lee said:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/the-russian-guns-are-coming-ak-47s-could-soon-be-american-made/ar-AA8uogY[/URL]

See, if we didn't allow imports in so freely, then the stuff would be made here. Probably at better quality and at the same market price.
Not so sure about the bolded part. Many American gun makers, including once legendary companies like Remington, S&W and Colt, have endemic quality control issues these days (to a point where people would rather buy a 40-50 year old specimen over a new production version of the same gun). Other American-made products, such as automobiles, aren't exactly known for high quality either.

The American manufacturing industry is not very competitive and it's not just because of unions and relatively high wages. Germany has the strongest manufacturing industry in the world and it has unions too and even higher wages than in the U.S. The difference is that the Germans make high quality, desirable stuff, which justifies the high prices. The Americans...not so much.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Germans make high quality, desirable stuff, which justifies the high prices. The Americans...not so much.

I like my Kimber a lot better than any Sig Sauer I've ever shot.

I've never shot an AK-47. From everything I've been told, they are manufactured with very loose tolerances compared to, say, an M16. Whether that is good or bad depends on circumstances. If you had to hide your weapon in a mud puddle, the AK is the one that is going to come up firing instead of jammed. But if you're trying for a head shot at 100 yards, that's fairly easy with an M16. It would be nearly impossible with an AK.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How can these be American made but their illegal?

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Germans make high quality, desirable stuff, which justifies the high prices. The Americans...not so much.

I like my Kimber a lot better than any Sig Sauer I've ever shot.
That's kind of like saying I like my oranges a lot better than any apples I've ever eaten. You are comparing a 1911 to a [presumably] P220/226. Two totally different designs. Interestingly enough, Navy Seals used 1911's in the past and now use Sig P226's. So it seem that not everyone shares your preferences. Personal preferences aside, Kimber is not on par with HK's and German-made Sigs in terms of quality and reliability.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^
I will have to agree, Germans make bull$hit that people have put some type of value on.

The race that have pulled the test of time of high quality products that last, are the Japanese. When it comes to cars, technology etc.

When they start producing guns (which I know they probably already have) sign me up

the_stig

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Fatal Jay said:
^
I will have to agree, Germans make bull$hit that people have put some type of value on.
:crackup: Did you really type that with a straight face.

Would this bullschit be the sturmgewehr, aka the AK-47 predecessor, or perhaps their automotive industry renowned for technological and safety innovations that have trickled down into mainstream passenger cars. Maybe it's the jet and rocket propulsion systems that shaped the 20th century armed forces and dawned the space age? Please do enlighten us.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
In my mind no company wants to pay a fair wage to Americans for manufacturing jobs, even though minimum wage is lower than it was 40 years ago when adjusted for inflation. That's what China and Vietnam and other 3rd world countries are good for. Minimum wage isn't minimum enough for greedy companies.

Starvation wage is key to good profit. That is why there are so many illegal aliens here. The companies LOVE to pay them dirt cheap wages. They wouldn't come here if they didn't get jobs.
I agree, the trade policy and labor, immigration and economic policy is set by and for the wealthiest. You couldn't even own and keep slaves as economically as the average worker. And an illegal alien worker is an even better slave you don't have to pay minimum wage. Manufacturing is the highest of productive endeavors. If it can't provide a middle class income like it use to then nothing can. They can collapse, and to a degree are, the income of STEM and middle management too. If you're not one of the few wealthiest, then you're just a working stiff too no matter how skilled and rare you think you might be.

Good publicity stunt perhaps? Nothing better than an "American made" gun company opening its factory doors to grateful hardworkign Americans, even though the gun parts are probably made overseas, much like today's "American" automobiles...
It probably does have some marketing value to be "American made" but I think the main thing is without free trade stuff would very profitably be made here. The media has brainwashed people to be so unproud of American made that seems like most people prefer foreign made products.

Bokanovsky said:
Many American gun makers, including once legendary companies like Remington, S&W and Colt, have endemic quality control issues these days (to a point where people would rather buy a 40-50 year old specimen over a new production version of the same gun). Other American-made products, such as automobiles, aren't exactly known for high quality either.

The American manufacturing industry is not very competitive and it's not just because of unions and relatively high wages. Germany has the strongest manufacturing industry in the world and it has unions too and even higher wages than in the U.S. The difference is that the Germans make high quality, desirable stuff, which justifies the high prices. The Americans...not so much.
I agree that wages and unions have little to do with US manufacturing industry cutting quality. Germans still have some pride left in the country and their manufacturing. American products tended to have been better quality years back when wages were higher and unions were more common.

The reason for lower quality is the same reasoning for outsourcing and cutting wages, short-term profit. These companies have mostly been taken over and ran by equity holdings. I don't agree that American products are second to German or Japanese at similar price levels. I don't agree that German cars or Japanese cars on the whole are better made. I believe America had better engineering and manufacturing than any other country.

What America has is a problem of management focusing on profit and cost cutting. The problem is increasingly most things are being made in China and other 3-world countries. America could compete with Japan and German on a level playing field, but China and 3-rd world countries is a different matter.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
You get what you are worth. You are only worth the amount it takes to replace you. That's the harsh reality. There is no black helicopter conspiracy.

The only place affirmative action or any of that matters, is in public sector jobs that are easy to get, because those people are easily replaceable. Same reason they aren't paid well, because you don't need skills. If you don't have skills, no one will hire you. And when you DO have skills, nobody cares about race/gender/agendas. If you can make someone money, they'll pay you what it takes.
I have to say though that the private sector is as bad about affirmative action and diversity as the public sector. The government is largely to blame but not totally. Also the private sector is full of cronyism, unfairness and incompetence too.

I don't agree that a person's pay is necessarily based on how well they make money even in the private sector. Any and every working person is dispensable no matter how skilled and rare they think they are. The elitist can globally produce 100's of millions of skilled workers and bottom out STEM and middle management positions too. They've been doing this already and it's nothing compared to what they could do.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stagger Lee said:
What America has is a problem of management focusing on profit and cost cutting. The problem is increasingly most things are being made in China and other 3-world countries. America could compete with Japan and German on a level playing field, but China and 3-rd world countries is a different matter.
I think you nailed it. The main problem is executive bonus packages that are tied to particular financial targets, including costs reduction. It's easy to improve the bottom line in the short run by cutting costs on quality control and cheaper supplies. In the long run, you are killing the company.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the_stig said:
:crackup: Did you really type that with a straight face.

Would this bullschit be the sturmgewehr, aka the AK-47 predecessor, or perhaps their automotive industry renowned for technological and safety innovations that have trickled down into mainstream passenger cars. Maybe it's the jet and rocket propulsion systems that shaped the 20th century armed forces and dawned the space age? Please do enlighten us.
Maybe in the world war era the germans products was ahead of this time, but not now.

Especially when it comes to their cars, bmw's are bull$hit cars, and this come from a guy who entire fam are mechanics

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bokanovsky said:
That's kind of like saying I like my oranges a lot better than any apples I've ever eaten. You are comparing a 1911 to a [presumably] P220/226. Two totally different designs. Interestingly enough, Navy Seals used 1911's in the past and now use Sig P226's. So it seem that not everyone shares your preferences. Personal preferences aside, Kimber is not on par with HK's and German-made Sigs in terms of quality and reliability.
I have a Kimber Custom CDP II, which yes, is a 1911. It is a lot nicer than the base model Kimbers.

My dad is a gun nut. He's always buying a new handgun. He's had several Sig handguns in various calibers. They all seem to have sloppy triggers that I don't like. He's had a lot of Glocks, too. I haven't shot anything as nice as my Kimber.

I wouldn't have a .45 that wasn't a Kimber. Similarly, I wouldn't have a revolver that wasn't a Smith & Wesson. I really like my .357

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Similarly, I wouldn't have a revolver that wasn't a Smith & Wesson. I really like my .357
I think the Model 27 N-frame Smith&Wesson was good especially made years back. I think Colt made the best revolvers. I really liked the King Cobra. For the price, I don't think it can be beat in trigger quality, fine finishing and durable and strong design. Of course, many others say the Colt python was the finest revolver made, but it was more expensive and not consider as durable as the King Cobra. Colt stopped making revolvers so I guess S&W is the best available new.

I don't expect a S&W revolver fan to agree, but the King Cobra was the nicest revolver I ever had or tried out of several S&Ws and a few others. I don't really care for the snake names Colt used for some its best revolvers though.

Speaking of the .45. The US military should've kept it's Colt .45 and replaced the M16 lol.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most M16s have been replaced by M4s by now. The barrel on the M4 is a little shorter, which gives it an advantage in close quarters combat and urban warfare.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I know the M4 is now used by most branches, just like most of the civilian 'AR15s" are M4 derivatives. The shorter carbine barrel is fine, but it's fundamentally the same design and the M4 probably exasperates the short comings of the direct impingement. The M4/M16/AR15 has it's positives, I like it ok but think a short-stroke piston design and maybe a different caliber would be better.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the_stig said:
Why are BMW's bull$hit?
the glitches that usually can't be fixed when it come to the new ones, the ones from the 90s on down are good

but the new ones are a b*tch when it comes to maintenance. The way the engines are design when it comes to finding and replacing parts, the mechanics look at it as going through hell and back. They are cool to look at, even cool to drive but if you don't have the money for the maintenance when $hit start breaking down your screwed.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
I wouldn't have a .45 that wasn't a Kimber. Similarly, I wouldn't have a revolver that wasn't a Smith & Wesson. I really like my .357
Google "Kimber quality".

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stagger Lee said:
I think the Model 27 N-frame Smith&Wesson was good especially made years back. I think Colt made the best revolvers. I really liked the King Cobra. For the price, I don't think it can be beat in trigger quality, fine finishing and durable and strong design. Of course, many others say the Colt python was the finest revolver made, but it was more expensive and not consider as durable as the King Cobra. Colt stopped making revolvers so I guess S&W is the best available new.
The best revolver ever made is the Korth Combat Revolver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ROYgLRifXA

No S&W or Colt is even remotely comparable. Of course, a Korth will set you back six grand or more, but in this case, you get what you pay for.